Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Persona 3 makes me angry.

• 55 results
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#51  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Sweep said:
    "There are several aspects of the game which are just stupid. For example I seem to be buying all my weaponry from a POLICE OFFICER at THE POLICE STATION. "I don't know what's going on here, but I guess I just have to trust you" he mumbles, as he sells a Katana to a teenage boy. "
    Everyone tends to be more trusting in Persona 3. Everyone's confused about the strange stuff going on, so they're more willing to unusual answers and that kids would need weapons to deal with the problem.

In Persona 4, the threat is obvious. Someone is going around killing people. It could be anyone, so no one ever fully trusts anyone. They never let anyone outside of their group know what they're up to. Not the police, not family, not other friends, because the murderer could be anyone. In Persona 3, it's not clear what's causing the apathy syndrome, but they can be reasonably sure that it's not the result of any human. So they place their trust in each other, Ikutsuki, the Kirijo Group, and even Officer Kurosawa. SEES knows he won't pose a threat to them, and Kurosawa hasn't seen any negative result of selling weapons to teenagers. There are lots of weird things going on, but none of them involved weapons obtained from Kurosawa. There's no guarantee that he really can trust them, but he's willing to help them out if they really believe they can eliminate the problem. The Kirijo Group has also done research on Shadows, so if he really needed proof it could probably be provided.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Supermarius said:
    " @Sweep said:

" @C2C: I'm going to keep playing. It's just weird. I'm fighting shadows for reasons I can't explain and nobody has yet presented me with a reason as to why I should care. After getting so immersed into Persona 4, the indifference of Persona 3 feels worlds apart. "

this is is addressed. The lack of a clear explanation for what SEES is fighting or why is what makes Yukari so angry and paranoid towards mitsuru. It is explained. Also, not everything is as it appears. Some things don't make sense because they don't make sense. Remember what the arcana is for SEES. It's the fool. That is supposed to tell you something.  Trust me, mitsuru, yukari, and akihiko have very good reasons for fighting. Ken has a very good reason for joining sees, and so does a girl who joins later. The characters with the weakest motivations are Junpei, Fuuka, and koromaru. Junpei doesn't have a very good motivation to fight, and that becomes a veeeeeery major plot point and is the reason why he is initially kind of dickish to the protagonist. Fuuka feels indebted to SEES and she likes being able to help and the game specifically has a scene where mitsuru apologizes for getting Fuuka involved and Fuuka explains her motivations. Koromaru, well hes mostly for fun.  Don't forget that just like in persona 4, each of the party characters in P3 have problems they are trying to work through. They all have "awakened" versions of their personas which they get at key plot points. Before these points they really are a bit lost and confused about their lives, just like normal teenagers.  As for the plot, without giving any spoliers, Persona 3 is basically a retelling of the plot of Neon Genesis Evangelion set in a normal tokyo.  The shadow bosses are like angels (especially later in the game). The characters are like the child pilots, and i can't say more really without spoling stuff, but P3 gets almost as messed up as evangelion except that the MC is awesome, where as Shinji is not. Stick with it, it is really great. "
    The comparison to NGE is actually a pretty good one, except Persona 3's ending doesn't suck
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Supermarius
    Neon Genesis evangelion and persona 3 spoilers, Ahoy!

@SpiralStairs:  the comparison to NGE is especially apparent if you compare
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#54  Edited By Catolf
    @LordAndrew said:

" @Sweep said:

"There are several aspects of the game which are just stupid. For example I seem to be buying all my weaponry from a POLICE OFFICER at THE POLICE STATION. "I don't know what's going on here, but I guess I just have to trust you" he mumbles, as he sells a Katana to a teenage boy. "

Everyone tends to be more trusting in Persona 3. Everyone's confused about the strange stuff going on, so they're more willing to unusual answers and that kids would need weapons to deal with the problem.

In Persona 4, the threat is obvious. Someone is going around killing people. It could be anyone, so no one ever fully trusts anyone. They never let anyone outside of their group know what they're up to. Not the police, not family, not other friends, because the murderer could be anyone. In Persona 3, it's not clear what's causing the apathy syndrome, but they can be reasonably sure that it's not the result of any human. So they place their trust in each other, Ikutsuki, the Kirijo Group, and even Officer Kurosawa. SEES knows he won't pose a threat to them, and Kurosawa hasn't seen any negative result of selling weapons to teenagers. There are lots of weird things going on, but none of them involved weapons obtained from Kurosawa. There's no guarantee that he really can trust them, but he's willing to help them out if they really believe they can eliminate the problem. The Kirijo Group has also done research on Shadows, so if he really needed proof it could probably be provided. "
    Point and also in FES(i think) and P3P you have the option of saving people inside Tartarus that are up on the bulletin board from the officer, you do save them and I'm sure that helps put more trust in you and what your doing.

@Supermarius said:

" Neon Genesis evangelion and persona 3 spoilers, Ahoy!

@SpiralStairs:

the comparison to NGE is especially apparent if you compare
    "

that makes a lot of sense, i got the story part but I never made those character comparisons.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By QuistisTrepe

I'm still crawling through my first playthrough. After 100 hours I'm in the last month of the story and I've missed a bunch of stuff. My only frustration with games like Persona is how easy it really is to miss some pretty big things. It has only occurred to me now that I missed out on the Sun arcana S-Link entirely (I had rarely encountered Sun when fusing Personas and I honestly didn't take notice until late in the game) . Reading up on P3P at GameFaqs was a humbling expereince. I think it really takes more than one playthrough to really master all of the game's concepts. All things considered, I'd easily consider P3P among the greatest JRPGs of all time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.