Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 13, 2006

Persona 3 is the fourth main entry in the Persona series. Introducing the "Social Link" system and removing several Shin Megami Tensei staples including the post-apocalyptic setting, Persona 3 greatly expanded the popularity of the series, particularly in the west. It also established the balance of traditional role-playing combat and social simulation that would define the series going forward.

My Journey to Extra Life 2014: Persona 3 - Week 1

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By meatsofevil
    No Caption Provided

Hello! - stream schedule info!

As some of you may already know, I started streaming my playthrough of Persona 3 as a lead up to Extra Life 2014. I have been streaming in the morning every day for a week now, and I realize 8am is kinda too early for a lot of people to tune in, also there is a very large majority of people who are sane and work during the day. I, however, am not sane and work an overnight job, hence the weird stream time.

So here's my idea:

Since I have two nights off a week, I decided that I will stream in the evening on those nights, instead of in the morning. This week the evening streams will be :

Tuesday Sept. 16th @ 8pm CST - DAY 9

Friday Sept. 19th @ 8pm CST - DAY 12

Every other day I will still be streaming between 8am - 12pm CST (sorry I'm crazy!)

My stream will be here: http://www.twitch.tv/meatsoevil

and if you would like to donate please do so here: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/luismartinez

I intend to do a weekly recap of my experiences in Persona 3, and If I can get the time I will make a video of some my favorite moments in the game so far. Also thanks to those of you who have tuned in to watch, and I hope more of you guys can join me.

That being said, here is a bare bones recap of my past week with the game:

Displayed play time: 10hr 23m

Player Level: 13

Day 1

I had a webcam setup, but had to switch programs because of audio-sync issues, and I had to lose the camera :/
    I had a webcam setup, but had to switch programs because of audio-sync issues, and I had to lose the camera :/

The first thing I noticed in Persona 3, aside from the large amount of front-loaded animated cut-scenes, was the tone of the game. It has a much darker tone than Persona 4, which is my only context for Persona. The voiced acting is superb, and the translations are really well done. The music is so fantastic, and I can definitely see a ton of similarity between Persona 3 and 4.

I didn't really have a name for my dude lined up, so i started to name him Gilgamesh, but didn't have enough room, and then realized that I was giving a LAST name first. Joe is in honor of my friend Joe who let me borrow his PS2 and copy of Persona 3.

oh hey it's a dungeon!
    oh hey it's a dungeon!

Very similar dungeon crawling system, but the difference here is that it is one single dungeon that you slowly ascend through the course of the game.

The combat system is interesting, and it is easy to tell where they tried to improve certain aspects of it in Persona 4. The major difference is you can only control your character. The rest of the party is controlled by AI, and can be given orders on how to act, i.e Heal/Support, Conserve SP, etc. Also if you get downed it takes an extra turn to get up, and that suuuuuuucckksss.

Day 2

I do love all of the characters introduced so far, though some of them aren't likable (like Kenji here) they are well written and well voice-acted. One of the main themes in Persona 4 is the idea that each character is very flawed in their own ways, and that also seems to be true in Persona 3.

This guy sucks, but man he has the Magician Arcana S-Link
    This guy sucks, but man he has the Magician Arcana S-Link
    wait...what?
    wait...what?

Day 3

If there is something I should've learned from the Vinny Caravella handbook on playing video games is that you should always be saving.

Track team!
    Track team!
    OHGODIDIDN'TSAVEFUUUUUUU... well i guess i get to pick a different team besides track team.
    OHGODIDIDN'TSAVEFUUUUUUU... well i guess i get to pick a different team besides track team.

Kendo Team!--wait isn't that the same dude from track team earlier? lame!
    Kendo Team!--wait isn't that the same dude from track team earlier? lame!

Day 4

In Persona 4 the constant time crunch of the weather and fog stuff was a great way to force you to make progress in the dungeons. Here the time crunch is the time until the next full moon, where some stuff will happen.

Tanaka!!!
    Tanaka!!!
    Dude WHAT?! Sicko.
    Dude WHAT?! Sicko.

First Boss time!
    First Boss time!

Day 5

Taking the dumb tests is silly and fun, and it's pretty funny when you get a question wrong because you weren't paying attention to lectures from the start of the game.

ah yes, midterms.
    ah yes, midterms.
    New party member!
    New party member!

Day 6

Lots of combat, and fusing personas and stuff, which is what I expected to see in a Persona game. Also, I think the story is pretty cool so far, it has been very vague so far, which I like.

g-g-g-ghooosstss!
    g-g-g-ghooosstss!

Day 7

Though the tone of the game overall is fairly dark, there is definitely a goofy side with the interactions with characters, and dialogue.

Dude you are NOT going to get it on with a teacher. I promise.
    Dude you are NOT going to get it on with a teacher. I promise.

Thanks for reading!

-Luis

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice man, I was loving my time with Persona 3 FES until i got to the final dungeon.... just got too much since it went on for a looooong time. Still one of my favorite games and i personally think it's much better than Persona 4.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Just curious, you playing the original version or FES?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It annoys me that I can't grab this on PS2 for a reasonable price. Its on sale for the Vita/PSP at the moment as well. DAMN! I'll look forward to catching up on this during the week.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

@shindig said:

It annoys me that I can't grab this on PS2 for a reasonable price. Its on sale for the Vita/PSP at the moment as well. DAMN! I'll look forward to catching up on this during the week.

If you have a PS3, it's on PSN for $10.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi

Losing the camera was a good thing. Facecam is the worst.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: I am playing the original, I might get FES to play through The Answer, but we'll see.

@corruptedevil: you know, you're not wrong :P

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

This was the first Persona game I played and loved it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FrostyRyan

Needless to say, I'm in love with this game. I only think 4 is a bit better.

gilgameshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright payback for naming your character after me, Junpei-off go:

Hope it's not passe, to rhyme off junpei

But if we're gonna play, I have to relay

My world class display, will leave you in dismay

'Cause son we're in ballet; dancin' circles around your shin megami tensei

I don't know what that meant okay, but lemme just say:

Shakin' hips like Beyonce, while your spine is in decay.

Stupei

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shindig

@believer258 said:

@shindig said:

If you have a PS3, it's on PSN for $10.

As a UK user, I'm not sure of the smoke and mirrors I'll have to do to get a copy from the US PSN store. Actually, nevermind. It'll be region-locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.