Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 13, 2006

Persona 3 is the fourth main entry in the Persona series. Introducing the "Social Link" system and removing several Shin Megami Tensei staples including the post-apocalyptic setting, Persona 3 greatly expanded the popularity of the series, particularly in the west. It also established the balance of traditional role-playing combat and social simulation that would define the series going forward.

Persona 3: PS2 or PSP? Which should I buy?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

After venturing through Persona 4 on the Vita, I'm hooked enough that I dumbed some money into my PSN account in preparation to buy Persona 3 FES for the PS2 or Persona 3 for PSP. I'm not entirely sure which is the right version for me. I know that the PS2 version has more cutscenes and 3D environments, but the portable version may seem better for my current living arrangements. Will I really be missing a lot of the game by going with the portable version, or is it just fine and serviceable?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

PSP so you can play on the go and impress all your friends.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cloudymusic

I personally prefer the PS2 version because it's what I'm most used to, but it's really a matter of personal preference. You won't be "missing" anything by getting the PSP version (and, in fact, there's a decent amount of added stuff in that version).

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I've only played P3P and it gives you everything you want from a Persona game. Persona 3 FES does have that The Answer thing, but I don't know what that is and I'm pretty sure it's completely separate from the main story.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dungbootle

P3P

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

go with FES.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By Danteveli

Persona 3 FES if you don't care about playing the female protagonist and want to stick with the original version of the story.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By slax

I'm going to go P3P on this one. I own both and started in on FES, but quit rather quick. When I got P3P (on my Vita), 80 hours later, I'm still going strong. The big draw for me, was being able to pause it anytime and be able to watch a tv show while I'm going through the Tarturus. I think the only big thing that I feel like I missed out on was the animated cut scenes but I've been catching up with them on Youtube anyway, so not a huge loss.

Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
    posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By posttimeskipsam

P3P because you can play it on your Vita and it plays more like Persona 4.

Also don't worry about "The Answer" in FES. It adds more to the ending of P3, but strips out a lot of gameplay elements and drags you through 20+ hours of P3 combat without an option to change the difficulty (It's set to hard).

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I was bummed when I heard they took out the animated cutscenes in P3P (as I feel like they add a lot to the game), but other than that it seems P3P is better in all respects.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I've played both now- FES is the better version.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well, P3P it is! I'm glad to see that is the general consensus, because the portable version is probably the best bet for me at the moment.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By angouri

P3P. it simplifies some inane parts of FES, and the female protagonist is cool. How many RPGs let you play as an empowered high school female?

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Soffish

I'd say you should go with p3p. Personally, I found it difficult to go back to the original persona 3 after playing through 4, but the changes they made to p3p made it much more approachable.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

P3P. Female protagonist is interesting, The Answer in FES is crap and full party control is great.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flappy

FES is the only right answer to this question.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OmegaChosen

FES. P3 loses something when you get rid of the 3D models and environments.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bishna

P3P gives you the option to play as a lady. P3P is the right choice.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EXTomar

I would say get both but I believe P3P is the better version.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

You people are crazy. P3P may have improved some things, most importantly party control, but FES is still the ideal version. P3P doesn't have the soul of a Persona game, the lack of animated cutscenes and more importantly the removal of 3D environments in favor of static backgrounds really hurts the experience. Also, while the Answer may not be nearly as good as the main game, it's still worth playing for the story and character developments that take place. If you want to experience the "true" Persona 3 for your first time playing it, FES is the only option. P3P was clearly designed with the idea that most people that would be playing it had already played Persona 3 before.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By confusedowl

I'm personally having a ton of fun with FES right now. I feel the game would not be the same without the 3D environments though, exploring the town and actually seeing the characters interact with each other is something that I couldn't go without in a persona game. So I'll go with FES.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Flappy

@Ezakael said:

I'm personally having a ton of fun with FES right now. I feel the game would not be the same without the 3D environments though, exploring the town and actually seeing the characters interact with each other is something that I couldn't go without in a persona game. So I'll go with FES.

Ya see this right here? This is the key point. Unless you really wanna play as a chick, control your teammates and/or play it on the go, FES is the superior version. P3P lacks a huge amount of charm that made P3 such a big deal in the first place.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By confusedowl

@Flappy said:

@Ezakael said:

Ya see this right here? This is the key point. Unless you really wanna play as a chick, control your teammates and/or play it on the go, FES is the superior version. P3P lacks a huge amount of charm that made P3 such a big deal in the first place.

I also can't wait to dive into 4. It's a shame I don't have a vita because the portable version of 4 IS better :/.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coakroach

PSP. FeMC > MC.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awesomeusername

@MrPilkington: PS Vita

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By smcn

FES definitely. The Answer is a must.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TAFAE
    Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

FES is the version to go with. The Answer is totally worth it. The ending to Persona 3 is incredibly vague unless you understand the Japanese ending theme and even then you only get the gist. The Answer explains the ending and deals with the consequences of it. Also it is pretty important to the canon now with P4A out and adds a lot of context to that game. Plus any excuse to spend more time with those characters is worth it. Sure the Answer is hard but it's not that bad it's just a bit grindy and the bosses will stomp you but luckily you get to save right before them so it not like you lose progress when you lose to them.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EXTomar

I never understood why people insist that P3P needs the 3D world. It was (literally) wasted space that did little but eat time.

Maybe the real answer is there needs to be a third version that takes all of the playability of P3P along with the full stories in FES. While we are wishing for things that won't happen...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.