Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 13, 2006

Persona 3 is the fourth main entry in the Persona series. Introducing the "Social Link" system and removing several Shin Megami Tensei staples including the post-apocalyptic setting, Persona 3 greatly expanded the popularity of the series, particularly in the west. It also established the balance of traditional role-playing combat and social simulation that would define the series going forward.

Persona 3 The Animation - Thread

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By AndrewB

Hooray, bait and switch!

I wish I had actual news to bring, but this is just an expression of desire (for now).

Now that the Persona 4 anime has ended...

Who else here wold be stoked if they gave Persona 3 the same treatment? Nope, that doesn't include the one they already did. I haven't personally seen it, but I have no want to, given the negativity surrounding it. I'm talking about how they mostly faithfully translated the core of Persona 4 into an anime.

It would be giving fans of the series what they really want (I didn't hear many complaints about Persona 4, even my own skeptical self), and let people experience the story who haven't yet or don't plan to ever play the game. Although honestly, like the Endurance Run of Persona 4 got me to finally take the plunge on the series, I'd expect it would only encourage more people to play the game. Maybe those GiantBombers who enjoyed Persona 4 in a post Endurance Run era but for some reason don't want to see what's up with Persona 3.

And so long as it includes that epic rendition of Burn My Dread, I'll be happy.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

I would so want a Persona 3 The Animation. Trinity Soul was so bad.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Sure. A Catherine anime would also be cool.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon

@FluxWaveZ said:

Fuck it, just turn all of Atlus' games in animes.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MoseSSesoM

No thanks.

HotelDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HotelDon

Am I the only person who went and played all of Persona 3 before jumping into Persona 4? And managed to do both before the end of the Endurance Run? Haha I had a lot of free time.

Well, either way, I wouldn't mind if took an anime approach to Persona 3, although I'm not sure if the story would translate as well. Persona 3's story really meanders a lot for the first half of the game, to the point where their main objective isn't even made 100% clear until a huge WHAM moment past the halfway mark.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @HotelDon said:

Am I the only person who went and played all of Persona 3 before jumping into Persona 4? And managed to do both before the end of the Endurance Run? Haha I had a lot of free time.

Of course you're not. I believe, from a poll conducted before, a significant number of people had done so before watching the Endurance Run. I did so, as well.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The thing is, nothing really happens for a good chunk of Persona 3's playtime. Whereas Persona 4 has the ongoing hook of the mystery and the various character development arcs through the whole dungeon/shadow thing, a lot of Persona 3's main plot is "Well, we have to train up in order to fight the next shadow." with the various miscellaneous events and social linking happening in-between. I'm not saying it isn't possible, or not even that I would be opposed to such, but that it would be somewhat harder to plot out and adapt to the pacing of a television show than P4.

I think Persona 3's ship has sailed though. That game came out like 6 years ago in Japan and Atlus seems content to whore out only one Persona game for the time being. Oh well. If Persona 4 The Animation is any indication, it seems clear that a 60+ hour RPG can be successfully adapted to a 26 episode arc with very little lost in translation.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewB

@ArbitraryWater said:

The thing is, nothing really happens for a good chunk of Persona 3's playtime. Whereas Persona 4 has the ongoing hook of the mystery and the various character development arcs through the whole dungeon/shadow thing, a lot of Persona 3's main plot is "Well, we have to train up in order to fight the next shadow." with the various miscellaneous events and social linking happening in-between. I'm not saying it isn't possible, or not even that I would be opposed to such, but that it would be somewhat harder to plot out and adapt to the pacing of a television show than P4.

I think Persona 3's ship has sailed though. That game came out like 6 years ago in Japan and Atlus seems content to whore out only one Persona game for the time being. Oh well. If Persona 4 The Animation is any indication, it seems clear that a 60+ hour RPG can be successfully adapted to a 26 episode arc with very little lost in translation.

Have you watched any Anime ever? Nothing ever happens is their bread and butter.

Seriously though, plenty happens. There's a new enemy to fight every month. The Persona 4 Anime made the fights their focus. Anime in general tends to make the fight scenes a focus (because it translates well and because they have to fill a 20 something minute slot every week). There's an overarching mystery. There are multiple plot twists at various points. I don't see how it's any different than 90% of the anime I've seen or even Persona 4 for that matter.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@AndrewB said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Have you watched any Anime ever? Nothing ever happens is their bread and butter.

Seriously though, plenty happens. There's a new enemy to fight every month. The Persona 4 Anime made the fights their focus. Anime in general tends to make the fight scenes a focus (because it translates well and because they have to fill a 20 something minute slot every week). There's an overarching mystery. There are multiple plot twists at various points. I don't see how it's any different than 90% of the anime I've seen or even Persona 4 for that matter.

Ha! Touche. If there is one thing that anime is good at, it's filler. My youth of watching shonen anime on Toonami has taught me that.

I still don't know. I think that the shadow fights worked in P4A because they had personality. While all of them have good setup in P3, the enemies themselves are just symbolic representations of Tarot Cards as opposed to the dark inner thoughts of a bunch of teenagers. Still, I maintain that they could do it, but they'd have to work harder to get it there. I'd also like to see their interpretation of the P3 Protagonist, since they did such a great job with Yu Narukami.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndrewB

@ArbitraryWater: But every one of the main enemies were surrounded by interesting locales, character interactions, and story reveals. They'd of course gloss over the Tartarus level grinding bits like they did with all the dungeon stuff in P4. I feel like there's nothing they'd have to pull out of their ass to make the transition as seamless as they did with P4. I thought all that out before becoming interested and making this topic.

Matter of factly, Persona 3 is a more typical Anime style plot to begin with.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Damn it, guys. I was hoping this thread was an actual announcement of such a thing.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By sungahymn

Ooh, ooh! Me, me!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I want one. I love Persona 3. If they were to make one, do they they would stick with Minato Arisato for protagonist's name or come up with something new?

Alpha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Alpha1
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Baillie

@Alpha1 said:

I want a Vinny Caravella Anime!!

I just want the sequel to the Truman show; The Vinny Show.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@FluxWaveZ said:

@HotelDon said:

Of course you're not. I believe, from a poll conducted before, a significant number of people had done so before watching the Endurance Run. I did so, as well.

Yea, I'm pretty sure I'm the stranger case in that I have no experience with Persona 3. Everybody I've spoken with about Persona 4 has played Persona 3 before it.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By obcdexter

I wouldn't mind, though I can't say I really enjoyed the Persona 4 anime for the most part. Animation quality ranged from horrible to okay mostly - with a few exceptionally well done episodes in between. While all the fan-service got a(n) (im)proper treatment, important revelations and story bits seemed to be dealt with rather quickly most of the time, just to advance to the next fun scene. I dunno ... didn't leave me with many fond memories of outstanding stuff, except that mind-bending episode in Kubo's dungeon.

However, I really liked how they characterized the main character. That was pure brilliance.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    Only if they made 8 endings. I hate people saying "lolwut datz the tr00 ending".
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    Only if they made 8 endings. I hate people saying "lolwut datz the tr00 ending".

I'm going to guess that people that played and enjoyed Catherine probably don't talk like that online.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeGosot
    @JeanLuc said:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I'm going to guess that people that played and enjoyed Catherine probably don't talk like that online.

They don't, i guess, but i just hate "True Endings" and conversations about it. So, yeah, it's more of a problem i have than a problem the community has.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.