Should I get Persona 3?

#1 Posted by Mogoping (90 posts) -

This site introduced me to the Persona series. I bought Persona 4 after watching some of the endurance run and loved it. I was just wondering if I should also play Persona 3 if I loved 4 so much.

#2 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Absolutely. P3 is arguably the better game!

Both are brilliant. If you loved P4, theres no reason you won't enjoy P3.

#3 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Yes a no brainer really.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Yes. Fuck yes. The only thing that may out you off is that you can't control your party and that's frustrating sometimes. The Portable version let you do that, BUT, the presentation suffered. But seriously, play P3.

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -

Uh... yeah? Why are you wondering if you should get the prequel to a game you loved? They're practically the same in regards to mechanics. There's a chance you might dislike P3 if you don't care for the characters or the story. Also, if you get it, you should get P3FES because, to me, that's the definitive version of Persona 3.

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

Uh... yeah? Why are you wondering if you should get the prequel to a game you loved? They're practically the same in regards to mechanics. There's a chance you might dislike P3 if you don't care for the characters or the story. Also, if you get it, you should get P3FES because, to me, that's the definitive version of Persona 3.

I strangely prefer the Portable version. I think i'm one of the few who think that.
#7 Edited by Aegon (5639 posts) -

I played the portable version and enjoyed it. The dungeons aren't as diverse as in Persona 4, but it's still fun. The story is a bit more dark/sad though. 

#8 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Short answer: Yes. 

Long answer: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS. Fuck yes you should. Why are you wasting time asking us when you could be out buying/playing Persona 3? Go. Now!

#9 Posted by FLStyle (4705 posts) -

@Mogoping: I thought the same as you and loved it. I played Persona 3 Portable on the PSP which ditches the cut-scenes for in-game scenes (which I didn't really mind) and gives you access to controlling your other party members and all-out attacks like in Persona 4. Be warned it doesn't include FES and there's been no PSP release on it since.

So they both have advantages and disadvantages, up to you which one you get.

#10 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

Yes. I'd argue that it's the better game, but that would take a while, so I'll just say buy it. PS2 or PSP it doesn't matter. 

#11 Posted by reptilia_kun (103 posts) -

the only thing that might put you off is that persona 3 lacks certain gameplay tweaks that were made in persona 4 to ease combat and accessibility (e.g. in p3 you can only control the main character, and you can't control your party members commands but you can suggest priorities like in p4 if you choose not to directly control your party in combat, when you tackle enemies weaknesses the get up pretty quickly, you can't see your party's equipment when you are out doing social activities or non dungeon parts) but those are minor things that might put off someone who has played p4 first then p3. to be honest i admire the darker tone both story wise a nd thematically of p3 and in my opinion prefer p3 over p4. so i say you definitely should get a copy of p3 or p3fes which serves as a spin off continuation.

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@StrikeALight said:

Absolutely. P3 is arguably the better game!

I love you.

Persona 3 is superior!

#13 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

Yes. The battle mechanics are super annoying sometimes but that game is so good. It took me years to decide that I slightly prefer Persona 4.

#14 Posted by ApeGantz (217 posts) -

Well I prefer the Portable version more because I played the other two. With 3 and Fes, you got to see all of the environments you were in and were able to just walk around in them. You also got to all of the characters in the world and how they moved and interacted with each other in the environment(Like the Yukari late ight train scene).The downside to this tho is that it took up a lot of time. The Portable one was majorly streamlined and decreased the playtime. You only controlled your character in dungeons and battle, that's it.

If I were you I would get the FES version because it contains more story, little touches like clothes, and more game-play.

#15 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I strangely prefer the Portable version. I think i'm one of the few who think that.

I preferred the Portable version as well. Honestly, I never really missed the cutscenes and having control over all the party members more than makes up for it in my opinion. Also, the female protagonist will always be the true protagonist to me to the point I couldn't get into The Answer because they kept referring to the protagonist as a male. I'm kind of sad they're not including a female character in Persona 4 The Golden.

#16 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

I bought Persona 3 while first watching the ER, so let me say this. Persona 4 is the better game. It's more streamlined, the story becomes interesting a lot quicker, and the controlling your party members is a plus. That being said, Persona 3 is still a fantastic game, especially the last few hours of that game. It has great characters and memorable moments and it may even make you tear up in the end.

#17 Posted by nick_verissimo (1385 posts) -

I really loved Persona 4, but Persona 3 is straight up one of the best games that I have ever played. People knock the fact that you couldn't control your party members, but I thought that the mechanic was meaningful towards how the characters personalities were built within the context of the story and actually reflected them. The game is amazing and should not be missed.

#18 Edited by Beforet (2922 posts) -

Yeah you should. If you have a PSP, I'd say get P3P. Many wouldn't, but to them I say "Marin Karin."

Edito:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Up top!

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

Sure.

#20 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

You're not alone. I by far preferred the PSP version.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Yeah you should. If you have a PSP, I'd say get P3P. Many wouldn't, but to them I say "Marin Karin."

Edito:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Up top!

FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF THIS SHIT. FUCK. YOU. Seriously, OH MY GOD. The frustration... IT BURNS ON MY HEART.
#22 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

@Sayishere said:

Yes a no brainer really.

This.

@FateOfNever said:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

You're not alone. I by far preferred the PSP version.

This too. Either that, or buy P3FES and never touch the Answer.

Just do it.

#23 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Beforet said:

Edito:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Up top!

FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF THIS SHIT. FUCK. YOU. Seriously, OH MY GOD. The frustration... IT BURNS ON MY HEART.

;3

#24 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Beforet: Sorry for the "LOSINGMAHSHIT!" moment, but, Marin Karin was a curse.
#25 Posted by Poppy_Persona (154 posts) -

Yes that game the best game i have ever played! I would say go with ps2 version though and you might as well get the fes version its just persona 3 but better.

#26 Posted by Mogoping (90 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback guys really appreciate it!!!

#27 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Yes, Persona 3 has better music and the best animal companion of the two games.

#28 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

The combat in Persona 3 is nowhere near as good as the combat in Persona 4, but overall it's still a great game. You should play it.

#29 Posted by Daroki (712 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Like others in the thread, I'll agree that P3P is superior to P3:FES. Female Protag + P4 battle controls > The Answer + being able to actually walk around the environment.

#30 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

I have Persona 3 Portable for the PSP (of, course!) and I loved it. I think it is also pretty cheap on PSN. Get that, if you get Persona 3.

#31 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Daroki said:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Like others in the thread, I'll agree that P3P is superior to P3:FES. Female Protag + P4 battle controls > The Answer + being able to actually walk around the environment.

You talk like The Answer is actually worth having, nonsense!

#32 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

I watched the Endurance Run and recently played the portable version of Persona 3 and I gotta say I was kinda disappointed.

Its still a good game and I personally love fusing and experimenting with different personas, but I found the characters less likable and the story and setting to be not quite as good as Persona 4.

Social links especially feel really disconnected if you play as a male, the only party members you actually have links with are the three girls and even then thats not until you've maxed out your stats.

Its still by no means a bad game its just that Persona 4 improved upon it in some really important ways, i'd recommend you wait it out for Persona 5 to avoid getting burned out on the series.

#33 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Hell no!

I kid. I played 4 cuz of the endurance run then played FES, and you can definitely see while playing 3 why they did some things different in 4, like S-links with all your party characters or more hand holding in the early game to let you know what you need to be doing or full character control during a fight, but there's plenty of stuff in 3 that I'd wished they'd left, and it's a very satisfying experience in its own right.

#34 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

Yes with out a doubt you should get Persona 3. Pesrona 3 got me into the Persona series and everything SMT and Atlus as well. I see no reason why you shouldn,t buy it.

#35 Edited by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

The battles and social links are not as great as in 4 in my opinion, but yeah, I still highly recommend you play it.

#36 Posted by Daroki (712 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Daroki said:

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

You talk like The Answer is actually worth having, nonsense!

Complete and utter nonsense, I agree! :) I guess the expanded SLs might be a better positive point for FES than "The Answer" was, but I still don't think it's better than P3P having better combat system and new protag.

#37 Posted by TheRealJpoe (134 posts) -

YES! Without sounding to much like a fan boy, Persona 3 is honestly my favorite game of all time. It really got me through a shit time in my life & I encourage any new comer to experience it given the chance. & if you have 60+ hours of free time, at least. haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.