Any benefit to using Kanji or Teddie?

#1 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

I have both Kanji and Teddie as available party members but I'm pretty happy with the default party of Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko. I don't remember Jeff and Vinny using either of them much so I was wondering if they are worth using.

#2 Posted by Bobstar (310 posts) -

I dunno about Kanji, since he's mostly an electric dude, and at this point in the game I think you've already established that you yourself will do all of the lightning stuff. I remember Teddie had som pretty decent healing though.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Kanji and Teddie both get two of the all buff spells (Kanji gets Matarukaja and Teddie gets Marakukaja), Kanji can hit like a truck and he has the most HP, and teddie just gets a bunch of stuff.

also Kanji is way cooler than Yosuke.

#4 Edited by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

Teddie is the best ice-element user in your party. His Social Link also goes up through story-based events, so you will have a maxed S. Link with him by the game's end (assuming you don't get the bad ending).

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

Oh, I might use Teddie then because I don't really plan on S-linking with Chie.

#6 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@natetodamax: Kanji is like Chie. But better. Much better. Chie is an awesome character, but she's really sucky in combat.

Teddie and Yukiko are interchangable, but I think Teddie edges out Yukiko usability-wise due to his buffs and swiss-army knife skillset.
#7 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

alternatively you could just level up all your party; it's what I did my last playthrough.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@natetodamax: Kanji is like Chie. But better. Much better. Chie is an awesome character, but she's really sucky in combat. Teddie and Yukiko are interchangable, but I think Teddie edges out Yukiko usability-wise due to his buffs and swiss-army knife skillset.

My endgame party was Yukiko/Yosuke/Teddie. The only flaw was that I didn't max out Yosuke's S. Link.

#9 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

I'd just stick with who you like the most and go at it. have fun. You'll get through most things just fine, only real problem is anyone's weaknesses against a boss. But when Charlie can do everything himself if you get a decent Persona selection your choice of allies isn't tremendously important. 

#10 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I used Teddie instead of Chie at first cause he had better ice spells, but then I used Chie for the end stretch of the game once she got Power Charge + God Hand.

#11 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

I used Kanji, Chie, Teddie. The midstretch, though, had Yosuke because Chie gets pretty sucky in the midgame. Power Charge + God Hand is worth it, though. Teddie is useful in every situation due to the fact that he has Amrita, Mediarahan, and Marakukaja, as well as really great offensive skills, too. Yes, Yukiko has Salvation, which is technically better, but it costs 40 SP per use, which adds up quickly.  Kanji also has Primal Force and Matarukaja, meaning that he can deal amazing damage with Chie, as well as helping her to hit harder with God Hand. The only problem with this set-up is the redundancy in types with Chie and Teddie, but that just means taking up the slack for fire and wind.

#12 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Kanji is the best physical character, IMO. He can buff, debuff and has good damage/hp. Though really, play with the ones you intend to S-Link, they will turn out the best.

#13 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Team Bro, dude.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Kanji is awesome, he hits like a truck and can tank!

I used Yukiko, Kanji and Yosuke if I remember right.

#15 Posted by Zombaholic (54 posts) -

Teddie also has that get out of a dungeon move doesn't he? I used that all the time after Sp didn't become so scarce.

Is there any real benefit for using Naoto? I used her all the time since she had a gun, and shooting the final boss is somewhat amazing

#16 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I think Teddie has an attack called Bear Strike. I don't know what it does, but at this point, does it matter?

#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I used Teddie extensively due to his very powerful ice attacks.  I went with a group largely based around elemental attacks.  Yukiko for Fire, Teddie for Ice, Yosuke for Wind and I handled Electricity.  That was the main group I used.  I would periodically switch to the "B" team when I was just grinding.  If I needed physical attacks, I usually went with Naoto (once she's accessible). 

#18 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

@natetodamax: Kanji is like Chie. But better. Much better. Chie is an awesome character, but she's really sucky in combat. Teddie and Yukiko are interchangable, but I think Teddie edges out Yukiko usability-wise due to his buffs and swiss-army knife skillset.

I actually think Chie is probably better than Kanji. Two primal forces will out damage one power charged god hand but it will also leave Kanji a step away from death. Kanji's magic and MP are both miserable so his extra spells shouldn't even factor in imo. I guess Kanji has his buff but it was completely irrelevant for me because Charlie had Heat Riser.  

Mid game, I'll agree that Chie is garbage but I think she easily outclasses Kanji by the end. 
#19 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
WARNING RPG NERDERY

@Chop said:
  I actually think Chie is probably better than Kanji. Two primal forces will out damage one power charged god hand but it will also leave Kanji a step away from death. Kanji's magic and MP are both miserable so his extra spells shouldn't even factor in imo. I guess Kanji has his buff but it was completely irrelevant for me because Charlie had Heat Riser.   Mid game, I'll agree that Chie is garbage but I think she easily outclasses Kanji by the end. 
I disagree.

Well, I don't disagree that Chie is better in the endgame, but it seems like a moot point to me. Saying that Chie is garbage in the mid game is a huge understatement. More like, she's garbage for approximately 70% of the game's duration.  And she's lucky she gets 20% non-garbage time for being one of the first party members to join and being irreplaceable until dungeon 3.

During that 70% of the game where's useless- the 70% of the game that is much more difficult than the last 10 hours-Kanji will not only be able to keep up with your magic users in terms of damage output, he will even surpass them.....Meanwhile Chie will be struggling to even get her heat wave to hit any enemy on the field and even a power charged  strike will have her lag behind what your magic dudes can do in one turn. Kanji will serve your team by being a buffer and a good tank....Chie loses out to him in endurance and only gets the most basic buff in the game.

God hand is an awesome skill and so is Agneyastra, but getting Chie to level 70-80 just for those skills is a huge waste of EXP.

Again, you mention heat Riser-- but your first oppurtinity to get that skill is literally in the second to last dungeon in the game.  At that point, your party will be level 75, you will have beaten 90-99% of the enemies there are to beat....and the endgame isn't particulary challenging at all. Adachi is a huge pussy and so is Izanami. Ameno is mildly challenging at best. Besides, Kanji's Buffs are arguably better anyway. Heat Riser only works on one person and 4 tarukajad party members>>>>>>one heat riserd Charlie in terms of damage output.

And Kanji's magic abilities TOTALLY factors in here. Stats aren't nearly as important as skills in terms of damage output, and Kanji gets high end lightning and the full amp+boost combos. While, yeah, his sucky magic stat does assure he deals less damage with his magic than the others, unlike Chie, he can still deal enough damage that casting a spell isn't a total waste of his turn(he will still deal roughly 200-250 damage in the endgame if you equip him rihgt. That's totally a meaningfull amount of damage to deal in the endgame as opposed to Chie's pitiful 40-60 attacks ). They have roughly the same SP pool, btw, so your point about Kanji's Primal Forces can be turned around on Chie draining her SP with power charge as well. Unlike  Chie's poor SP pool, Kanji's ridiculously high HP pool and endurance means you can use Primal Force without worrying about his life too much. Besides, in a fight that actually matters, you will be healing every turn anyway, because HP is not a big deal in Persona 4. SP is.

Speaking of stats: Chie has a bunch of useless point in Magic. Because of her totally useless orientation, Kanji has better Strength, Endurance and HP than her......and seeing how they're supposed to be tanks.....yeahhhhhhh
#20 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -
@mutha3: I never understood people calling Kanji out for his low SP pool due to the fact that Chie always has less, and people describe their use of her like they need to use Power Charge + Heat Riser + God Hand every turn.
#21 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

Teddie gets the nod for his spells. Physical attacks become more and more worthless as the game wears on, especially on the last boss. Near the end of the game my party was pretty much MC, Teddie, Naoto, and Yukiko the rest of the way. I haven't started the "true" ending arc yet, but my last save is about to begin the hidden level. If I feel like physical attacks will do anything, I'll be sure to put Kanji back in. Otherwise it's matarukaja+mind charge+megidoloan-ing my way to victory.

#22 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

When i got Teddie, he quickly took Chie's place because he had better magic (ice and healing spells), he is a pretty good hitter too and what made him an automatic selection for me was his Traesto spell to get out of a dungeon quickly when grinding.

#23 Edited by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

I'm not sure Chie is supposed to be a tank... I mean, like you said, her stats and moveset don't reflect that at all.

I'm not sure which RPG class archetype is appropriate, but I always saw her as a careless all-out attack character. She has a good (but not great- I think it needs a buff) luck stat which increases her tendancy to crit. (Offensive, and risky). Lots of physical skills, but not enough HP or endurance to use them without endangering herself. 

She's not a purely physical character (tank) because she still has multi targeting elemental attacks. She's just designed to inflict as much pain as possible to the enemy without regard for her personal safety (kinda fits with her social link). 

(EDIT: which is also ironic, as this necessitates support in the form of healing and buffs from the other party members...)

#24 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@Starclopsofish said:

I'm not sure Chie is supposed to be a tank... I mean, like you said, her stats and moveset don't reflect that at all. I'm not sure which RPG class archetype is appropriate, but I always saw her as a careless all-out attack character. She has a good (but not great- I think it needs a buff) luck stat which increases her tendancy to crit. (Offensive, and risky). Lots of physical skills, but not enough HP or endurance to use them without endangering herself. She's not a purely physical character (tank) because she still has multi targeting elemental attacks. She's just designed to inflict as much pain as possible to the enemy without regard for her personal safety (kinda fits with her social link).

The problem with putting Chie in that classification is that she can't do damage worth a shit. In fact, she's has the lowest damage potential in the party barring Naoto up until the very end of the game. She kinda sucks in battle, no matter what role you put her in.

@QuistisTrepe said:

Teddie gets the nod for his spells. Physical attacks become more and more worthless as the game wears on, especially on the last boss. Near the end of the game my party was pretty much MC, Teddie, Naoto, and Yukiko the rest of the way. I haven't started the "true" ending arc yet, but my last save is about to begin the hidden level. If I feel like physical attacks will do anything, I'll be sure to put Kanji back in. Otherwise it's matarukaja+mind charge+megidoloan-ing my way to victory.

Three weeks old, but this is not true. Its quite the opposite, actually, as the game goes on, the gap between the ATK of physicals and magic spells becomes larger and larger, to the point where the strongest, amped magic spells only do a fraction of stuff like Hassou Tobi and Primal Force.

Maybe you've been using Chie a lot? She has a big level gap where she only gets crappy physical stuff. But Charlie and Kanji do the most damage with physicals in the crew for a huge chunk of the game.

#25 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

I agree with you that she's underpowered, which is why I think she needs a buff to attack and luck. Hopefully they'll do something to buff her up or make her more useful in P4G.

But don't pretend that it doesn't put a smile on your face every time she says "Boom!" just before a Galactic Punt. XD

#26 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

Three weeks old, but this is not true. Its quite the opposite, actually, as the game goes on, the gap between the ATK of physicals and magic spells becomes larger and larger, to the point where the strongest, amped magic spells only do a fraction of stuff like Hassou Tobi and Primal Force.

I reserve the right to be wrong. I'm just sharing what worked for me, and it worked really well. This was my first playthrough and I failed to hit max social links on just five characters. Unfortunately Kanji and Naoto were on that short list. My couple of attempts at physical attacks missed, so I assumed that both of the last bosses were immune to them.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

@QuistisTrepe said:

@mutha3 said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

I reserve the right to be wrong. I'm just sharing what worked for me, and it worked really well. This was my first playthrough and I failed to hit max social links on just five characters. Unfortunately Kanji and Naoto were on that short list. My couple of attempts at physical attacks missed, so I assumed that both of the last bosses were immune to them.

Missing with an attack doesn't indicate immunity. They would have either blocked the attack or absorbed it to regain health.

#28 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

@Hailinel: Yeah. As far as I'm aware, you can't actually miss if the enemy would block or absorb it.

#29 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

@mutha3 said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

Missing with an attack doesn't indicate immunity. They would have either blocked the attack or absorbed it to regain health.

It just seemed unusual that I'd miss three straight attacks, that's why I gave up on physical attacks entirely.

#30 Posted by buttle826 (121 posts) -

At some point in the game, Teddie takes over as the ice-user over Chie. So you might want to switch those two. I didn't use Kanji at all though, but I figured I was the lightening guy, so why bother?

#31 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Was it just me, or does Teddie just take like double the damage everyone else does? When I was playing through the game last, I was kinda confused that his endurance was higher than some of the others, and was wearing the same armor but he would still take a lot more damage than the rest of the party. I ended up giving him a divine pillar just so he wouldn't almost die every time he got hit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.