Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Any differences between PAL / NTSC versions?

commanderleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By commanderleon

Hey guys,
    I'm probably one of the many people who got into Persona 4 after watching Giant Bomb's great endurance run videos. So, living in Europa, I'm really contemplating ordering the PAL version (which is out these days; actually, I believe it's out today~!, March 6th)
    Do you have any verdicts on differences between the PAL and NTSC versions of the game? You know, in terms of 50/60Hz support, widescreen support, the like. Seems to me a lot of PS2 games suffer from bad PAL conversions, which really makes me think about importing the game from the U.S. (two thumbs down for additional costs). 'Cause, you know, the game is only 20 Euros from day one here in the "Old World". Which is ridiculously cheap!
    Thanks for your help and happy gaming.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Axersia

Well, I don't own the game myself and I'm planning on buying the US version -- but for what it's worth, I have yet to see a Square Enix PAL conversion that supports 60Hz.

The official site did say this, however:
    Fully optimised PAL version: allows for the full experience intended by the game creators, even for owners of 50Hz television sets.

So yeah, take that as you will.

I don't see why you would care, though. It's just a turn-based RPG, not an action game with a deep combat engine like Devil May Cry 3. Losing a few frames won't hurt anyone.

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By exfate

Under the Features section of the Official Site it says, "Owners of 50Hz and 60Hz televisions alike are guaranteed the full experience intended by the game's creators." As for widescreen, there is no native widescreen in either the NTSC or PAL release AFAIK. So enjoy the cheapness (£17.99!!!) ;-)

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hexpane
    Axersia said:
      It's just a turn-based RPG,  losing a few frames won't hurt anyone."
    Oh noes you didn't!  Action or turn based matters not.  Frames are frames.  Lost frames are lost frames....  just because it isnt a jumping 15X combo does not mean people don't care about the graphics.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

Square Enix publishes Persona in Europe?

No wonder it took so long.
    7ukeGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 7ukeGuy

Differences? I noticed that the text seems to have been edited in the pal version so it matches what Nanako actually says, "Welcome home!" instead of "Welcome back!" I doubt you care about that though ;)

8xBiT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By 8xBiT
    7ukeGuy said:
    "Differences? I noticed that the text seems to have been edited in the pal version so it matches what Nanako actually says, "Welcome home!" instead of "Welcome back!" I doubt you care about that though ;)"
    I do, i really bugged me on the Endurance Run
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By endaround
    7ukeGuy said:
    "Differences? I noticed that the text seems to have been edited in the pal version so it matches what Nanako actually says, "Welcome home!" instead of "Welcome back!" I doubt you care about that though ;)"
    The fix the Tutoring job description?  And the one other typo I found (semi-colon instead of apostrophe though I don't even remember where it happened...)?
    TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TigerDX

The visuals are truly awful on the PAL conversion. Not only is there no option for NTSC 60Hz or PAL 60Hz, the stretching performed to eliminate the borders is atrocious.

Imagine a horizontal line of graphics simply repeated every 10 or so lines. It makes curves look horribly jagged - look at the edges of Teddie whenever his portrait appears for a good example - and it doesn't even eliminate all of the borders. Perhaps I notice this more on my set-up, because I'm using component, but still I can't believe we're in 2009 and still getting such poor conversions. I miss the days when Sega stepped up on the Dreamcast and made sure every game had a 60Hz mode.

Yes, Nanako's "okaeri" line has been fixed from "Welcome back" to "Welcome home". I also noticed you can pick up Ointment in the school bathroom on occasion, but none of these changes make this version worth it for me, especially after I've seen how the game should look on Giant Bomb.

To those who think the game being slightly slower doesn't matter, think about this: If you've been playing in 50Hz for 60 hours, you could have done the same content in just 50 hours on the NTSC version. If you've spent 100 hours in 50Hz, you've wasted about 17 hours. With a game as long as this, it still matters.

I've switched to the NTSC version and even find the visuals to be less muddy somehow.

Seriously poor localisation.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrickRoad

I noticed that the images of the characters had a real strange outline to them, but thought it was the PS3 not emulating it properly. Everytime I watch the endurance run after playing it on my PAL PS3, it seems like it's narrower too, on giant bombs PS2. The strange thing is, if I plays MGS (JP) on my PS3 and then on my PSP, the PSP emulates it in the correct aspect ratio and the PS3 makes it slightly too narrow. Bizarre stuff.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I own the PAL version, and although I've only played the first 2 or 3 hours so far, I haven't noticed any graphical irregularities or anything. There might be minor problems that are hardly noticeable, but they seem to have met their claim of "Fully optimised PAL version: allows for the full experience intended by the game creators, even for owners of 50Hz television sets."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.