Best Overall OST - Persona 3 (FES) vs Persona 4

Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

I've played both of these games. They both have some pretty spectacular songs. Now, I'm a pretty big nut when it comes to songs in games. I like listening to them in game and then out of the game to see how it sounds both ways. This is just a personal labor of love, but I'm going to break the songs into categories and then describe/rate them. I will link the songs to their respective youtube pages, but I hope it doesn't count as youtube spam if I describe what I do/don't like about them after the fact. I will also pick personal winners from each category followed by an overall best OST at the end. (I don't really rate the lyrics, because they are kind of all over the place)

Feel free to choose your own if you like!

Best Opening Theme Song

• Burn My Dread (P3) - This song is really catchy and sets up the tone to a point. It's really just a kick-ass song, and also sets a tone of desperation and despair.
  • Persona 3 FES Opening Theme - ***SOME SPOILERS*** This song starts off setting a better mood than the first one. It then gets pretty wild in JPOP fashion, but still keeps that jazzy feel. I feel that the beginning sets the moody tone in a game that focuses on capturing a dark tone centered around death.
  • Persona 4 Opening Theme - This song hooked me from the very beginning. It has a seriously catchy jingle, but then goes into a smooth pop song that's really easy to listen to. It manages to keep themes of mellow, relaxing times and mystery/noire.

WINNER - Persona 3 FES Opening Theme.

This was the hardest category for me, because each of the songs were so damn good. It's hard, because the tone difference in Persona 3 to Persona 3 is a big one. But I feel that the FES Theme starts capturing the desperation felt all throughout the game, then introduces the need to fight back with the Japanese tough guy rap, and then leads to some jazzy music which goes well with the high school music throughout the game. It also manages to capture it all in under two minutes.

Best Battle Music

• Mass Destruction (P3) - The jazz intro to this song is extremely well done and a nice primer for battle. The Japanese tough guy rapping (pokemon show style) is okay, but the part after that, "oooh yeah, baby baby" is probably the best and catchiest part. It doesn't really say straight out "Okay you're fighting now", but still pumps you up in the same way.
  • Reach out to the Truth (P4) - This song straight out, unlike the previous, says "Okay, fighting time!". The electric guitars evoke that tone, but the melodic fun tunes in the background, as well as the silly Japanese school girl rapping, still make it fun.

WINNER - TIE

This is also a hard category, because each song does its job but in different ways. Both are great and silly in their own ways. Sorry if this category felt like a waste of time, but I just can't make a decision on this one.

Best Suspicious Theme

• The Voice Someone Calls (P3) - This is a very moody, somewhat melodramatic song that evokes mystery and suspense.
  • Who's There (P4) - This song is a prime example of doing exactly what the name suggests. It really does make you ask, "Who's There?". The little piano part ends at just the right time before it can get irritating. The later part is a great follow up to the piano jingle that seems right out of a mystery cartoon.

WINNER - Who's There

This one was tough, because while I'd like to listen to "The Voice Someone Calls" more than Who's There outside of the game, "Who's There" better exemplifies mystery and asks more of a question. The other song tends to evoke more sorrow than mystery at times.

Best Dungeon Music

• Tartarus Block 4 (P3) - Persona 3 is an interesting case when it comes to the dungeon music. Each floor of the huge dungeon that you go through in the entire game adds a little bit more to the overall song. Floor 1 will start slow and by Floor 4 it starts feeling like it will by the end. It's cool, but I didn't really notice the changes as much as I did when I listened to the songs outside of the game.
  • Castle (P4) - This is the song to the first dungeon you go through in the game. It mixes the romantic tones that the castle stands for, but also hits the "hey, let's finish this" feeling that you get while exploring it.
  • Sauna (P4) - This song sounds nothing like how I'd imagine a sauna would sound like. However, it matches the exact sounds I'd think of if I and a group of people were invading a shady-looking sauna killing shadow monsters and trying to rescue someone. A kickass song!

WINNER - Sauna

This song is just a blast. It makes you want to kick down each door and kill every shadow in the joint! It also has that shady feel that matches the weird nature of actually going in there in the first place. Plus, it reminds me of Streets of Rage 2, and you can't really top that.

Best Fun Song (Huge Category!)

• -----
  • During the Test (P3) - I believe this song actually does play when you're taking midterms. It is definitely pretty easy going and great test taking music. I don't know, I just really like this song. Bring on the Jazz!
  • Iwatodai Station (P3) - This song actually plays when you enter the dorm. It's so damn catchy and oozes that jazzy style that is Persona 3. "Dance! While I put you in a Trance!". Done.
  • Joy (P3) - This song, I think, plays right when you're walking to school listening to the gossiping students. It's either this one or Afternoon Break, but they are both great, jazzy contrasts to the drearier music and tones found in the rest of the game.
  • Polonian Mall (P3) - This song plays when you're shopping for items. It's, again, another catchy song, but it really does feel like the kind of song you'd hear in a department store.
  • Want to be Close (P3) - Oh...my...God this category is so damn big. Damn you Persona 3 for your catchy-ass music...and thank you.
  • New Days (P4) - FINALLY a Persona 4 song. This one is catchy, but simple. It has that department store sound. Maybe even an elevator song. Still, it's a nice, relaxing song.
  • Your Affection (P4) - This song get's great when the singing starts. It's mellow but has a nice beat that makes you bob your head. I wish there were more songs like this in Persona 4.
  • Heartbeat, Heartbreak (P4) - Another catchy song that has a nice 'singing to the beat' style. Again, need more songs like this!

WINNER - Persona 3...wins...everything in this category...ugh.

ECLIPSES! Persona 4 definitely had some catchy songs, but Persona 3 just has too many! I had to go back and delete some, because the list was huge. They are all amazing and lovable, and I just can't get over how many there are! WOW. In the end, we're all winners, because both games have some terrific, fun songs.

Best Slow Song

• Living with Determination (P3) - This is a nice piano song. It has that sad tone, but also a touch of happiness and the ability to overcome. A nice piece this one is - Yoda?
  • Memories of the School (P3) - This is a nice song to reminisce with. It really does match the title.
  • Tranquility (P3) - A great slow version of a song already on the OST. It's a little faster than most, but I still like it and it's still relaxing.
  • Traumerei (P4) - This is an amazing song that everyone should listen to. I'm a huge fan of the piano. Persona 4 definitely doesn't have as many good slow songs as Persona 3, but it really doesn't need them after this song. So much heart.
  • EDITED IN: Maiya (P3) - Thanks to the person who posted asking why this wasn't in there. It probably should be, it's great.

WINNER - Traumerei

Just listen to the song. It's amazing. Category. Over.

Best End Boss Music

• The Battle for Everyone's Souls (P3) - A really hard hitting song. It's, well, it's just hardcore. Rock out and save the world! That's pretty much what it's evoking.
  • The Almighty (P4) - Persona 4 also has songs like The Genesis and others, but this one fits well as a final boss battle as well. I like it.

WINNER - The Battle for Everyone's Souls

It's an epic song that matches the proportions and what's at stake in the last fight. The game has so much emotion and dread throughout that the hard rock sounds are perfect for finally facing the last boss.

Best Ending Song

• Memories of You (P3) - A great way of saying, "Hey you did it. You saved everyone". Also allows the player to reminisce on everything that's happened.
  • Never More (P4) - A feel good song that matches how the game ends. It definitely matches the tone of the game.

WINNER - TIE

Both songs are representative of how the games played out. They both had drastically different tones and themes, and both songs matched them.

The End

Thanks for reading through if you did. I spent a lot of time picking out and listening to the very best songs from each game over and over again. I love the soundtracks to both games as well as the games themselves. This was mainly for myself as a reflection of both games, but feel free to listen to or give your favorite Persona songs. Again, thanks for spending the time on this, because I spent a long time on this as well. (If there are any mistakes made, please contact me via PM. Thank You.)

My Overall Winner - Persona 3. The category that pushed it ahead was the fun song one. Even then, it just barely won. It's just that the tone of the game switches between drastic and dreadful to peaceful and wanting. Persona 4 is still amazing, and these are two of my favorite OSTs of all time.

#1 Edited by huntad (1958 posts) -

I've played both of these games. They both have some pretty spectacular songs. Now, I'm a pretty big nut when it comes to songs in games. I like listening to them in game and then out of the game to see how it sounds both ways. This is just a personal labor of love, but I'm going to break the songs into categories and then describe/rate them. I will link the songs to their respective youtube pages, but I hope it doesn't count as youtube spam if I describe what I do/don't like about them after the fact. I will also pick personal winners from each category followed by an overall best OST at the end. (I don't really rate the lyrics, because they are kind of all over the place)

Feel free to choose your own if you like!

Best Opening Theme Song

• Burn My Dread (P3) - This song is really catchy and sets up the tone to a point. It's really just a kick-ass song, and also sets a tone of desperation and despair.
  • Persona 3 FES Opening Theme - ***SOME SPOILERS*** This song starts off setting a better mood than the first one. It then gets pretty wild in JPOP fashion, but still keeps that jazzy feel. I feel that the beginning sets the moody tone in a game that focuses on capturing a dark tone centered around death.
  • Persona 4 Opening Theme - This song hooked me from the very beginning. It has a seriously catchy jingle, but then goes into a smooth pop song that's really easy to listen to. It manages to keep themes of mellow, relaxing times and mystery/noire.

WINNER - Persona 3 FES Opening Theme.

This was the hardest category for me, because each of the songs were so damn good. It's hard, because the tone difference in Persona 3 to Persona 3 is a big one. But I feel that the FES Theme starts capturing the desperation felt all throughout the game, then introduces the need to fight back with the Japanese tough guy rap, and then leads to some jazzy music which goes well with the high school music throughout the game. It also manages to capture it all in under two minutes.

Best Battle Music

• Mass Destruction (P3) - The jazz intro to this song is extremely well done and a nice primer for battle. The Japanese tough guy rapping (pokemon show style) is okay, but the part after that, "oooh yeah, baby baby" is probably the best and catchiest part. It doesn't really say straight out "Okay you're fighting now", but still pumps you up in the same way.
  • Reach out to the Truth (P4) - This song straight out, unlike the previous, says "Okay, fighting time!". The electric guitars evoke that tone, but the melodic fun tunes in the background, as well as the silly Japanese school girl rapping, still make it fun.

WINNER - TIE

This is also a hard category, because each song does its job but in different ways. Both are great and silly in their own ways. Sorry if this category felt like a waste of time, but I just can't make a decision on this one.

Best Suspicious Theme

• The Voice Someone Calls (P3) - This is a very moody, somewhat melodramatic song that evokes mystery and suspense.
  • Who's There (P4) - This song is a prime example of doing exactly what the name suggests. It really does make you ask, "Who's There?". The little piano part ends at just the right time before it can get irritating. The later part is a great follow up to the piano jingle that seems right out of a mystery cartoon.

WINNER - Who's There

This one was tough, because while I'd like to listen to "The Voice Someone Calls" more than Who's There outside of the game, "Who's There" better exemplifies mystery and asks more of a question. The other song tends to evoke more sorrow than mystery at times.

Best Dungeon Music

• Tartarus Block 4 (P3) - Persona 3 is an interesting case when it comes to the dungeon music. Each floor of the huge dungeon that you go through in the entire game adds a little bit more to the overall song. Floor 1 will start slow and by Floor 4 it starts feeling like it will by the end. It's cool, but I didn't really notice the changes as much as I did when I listened to the songs outside of the game.
  • Castle (P4) - This is the song to the first dungeon you go through in the game. It mixes the romantic tones that the castle stands for, but also hits the "hey, let's finish this" feeling that you get while exploring it.
  • Sauna (P4) - This song sounds nothing like how I'd imagine a sauna would sound like. However, it matches the exact sounds I'd think of if I and a group of people were invading a shady-looking sauna killing shadow monsters and trying to rescue someone. A kickass song!

WINNER - Sauna

This song is just a blast. It makes you want to kick down each door and kill every shadow in the joint! It also has that shady feel that matches the weird nature of actually going in there in the first place. Plus, it reminds me of Streets of Rage 2, and you can't really top that.

Best Fun Song (Huge Category!)

• -----
  • During the Test (P3) - I believe this song actually does play when you're taking midterms. It is definitely pretty easy going and great test taking music. I don't know, I just really like this song. Bring on the Jazz!
  • Iwatodai Station (P3) - This song actually plays when you enter the dorm. It's so damn catchy and oozes that jazzy style that is Persona 3. "Dance! While I put you in a Trance!". Done.
  • Joy (P3) - This song, I think, plays right when you're walking to school listening to the gossiping students. It's either this one or Afternoon Break, but they are both great, jazzy contrasts to the drearier music and tones found in the rest of the game.
  • Polonian Mall (P3) - This song plays when you're shopping for items. It's, again, another catchy song, but it really does feel like the kind of song you'd hear in a department store.
  • Want to be Close (P3) - Oh...my...God this category is so damn big. Damn you Persona 3 for your catchy-ass music...and thank you.
  • New Days (P4) - FINALLY a Persona 4 song. This one is catchy, but simple. It has that department store sound. Maybe even an elevator song. Still, it's a nice, relaxing song.
  • Your Affection (P4) - This song get's great when the singing starts. It's mellow but has a nice beat that makes you bob your head. I wish there were more songs like this in Persona 4.
  • Heartbeat, Heartbreak (P4) - Another catchy song that has a nice 'singing to the beat' style. Again, need more songs like this!

WINNER - Persona 3...wins...everything in this category...ugh.

ECLIPSES! Persona 4 definitely had some catchy songs, but Persona 3 just has too many! I had to go back and delete some, because the list was huge. They are all amazing and lovable, and I just can't get over how many there are! WOW. In the end, we're all winners, because both games have some terrific, fun songs.

Best Slow Song

• Living with Determination (P3) - This is a nice piano song. It has that sad tone, but also a touch of happiness and the ability to overcome. A nice piece this one is - Yoda?
  • Memories of the School (P3) - This is a nice song to reminisce with. It really does match the title.
  • Tranquility (P3) - A great slow version of a song already on the OST. It's a little faster than most, but I still like it and it's still relaxing.
  • Traumerei (P4) - This is an amazing song that everyone should listen to. I'm a huge fan of the piano. Persona 4 definitely doesn't have as many good slow songs as Persona 3, but it really doesn't need them after this song. So much heart.
  • EDITED IN: Maiya (P3) - Thanks to the person who posted asking why this wasn't in there. It probably should be, it's great.

WINNER - Traumerei

Just listen to the song. It's amazing. Category. Over.

Best End Boss Music

• The Battle for Everyone's Souls (P3) - A really hard hitting song. It's, well, it's just hardcore. Rock out and save the world! That's pretty much what it's evoking.
  • The Almighty (P4) - Persona 4 also has songs like The Genesis and others, but this one fits well as a final boss battle as well. I like it.

WINNER - The Battle for Everyone's Souls

It's an epic song that matches the proportions and what's at stake in the last fight. The game has so much emotion and dread throughout that the hard rock sounds are perfect for finally facing the last boss.

Best Ending Song

• Memories of You (P3) - A great way of saying, "Hey you did it. You saved everyone". Also allows the player to reminisce on everything that's happened.
  • Never More (P4) - A feel good song that matches how the game ends. It definitely matches the tone of the game.

WINNER - TIE

Both songs are representative of how the games played out. They both had drastically different tones and themes, and both songs matched them.

The End

Thanks for reading through if you did. I spent a lot of time picking out and listening to the very best songs from each game over and over again. I love the soundtracks to both games as well as the games themselves. This was mainly for myself as a reflection of both games, but feel free to listen to or give your favorite Persona songs. Again, thanks for spending the time on this, because I spent a long time on this as well. (If there are any mistakes made, please contact me via PM. Thank You.)

My Overall Winner - Persona 3. The category that pushed it ahead was the fun song one. Even then, it just barely won. It's just that the tone of the game switches between drastic and dreadful to peaceful and wanting. Persona 4 is still amazing, and these are two of my favorite OSTs of all time.

#2 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

I agree that overall P3 has the better soundtrack, it just seemed more diverse, and much moodier. Though P3 was a moodier game by default. P4 may have a couple that stand a bit higher, but the whole package wasn't as good (you could say the same about the games themselves really).
You nailed down your descriptions of the songs and the emotions they provoke, though I did disagree on a couple of picks- for instance, Burn my Dread was my favorite opener, and I really didn't care for FES'. I do love the P4 sad song though.

But seriously, Naoto's was the best dungeon music.

#3 Edited by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

I love P4 OST to death. It's just plain fantastic. Which made it really awekward to go over to P3 FES, since it's not even reamotely similar. AND REALLY BAD. I can't stand the battle theme, I started muting the game in the first few hours. other than the velvet room song and a few others, I just don't think the soundtrack is good. I have no idea how the composer went from this to the great p4 songs.

EDIT:I should probably actually comment on your text. :P

Good writing, good points. You make it perfectly clear why you think P3 should win, I respect that.

#4 Posted by NarficAcid (86 posts) -

"Battle for Everyone's Souls" that is all that needs to be said. After fighting Nyx for an hour and a half, I still wanted to listen to that song.

#5 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (770 posts) -

Spoiler warning for the FES intro! If you haven't played Persona 3 or the Answer it spoils a lot of stuff.

I would say I prefer Persona 3's soundtrack overall. Persona 4 has better dungeon music mainly because it's much more varied (and Heaven just might be my favorite dungeon music from any game ever), but for all the other cases, I prefer Persona 3's soundtrack. It has more music (separate themes for the map, home, and school) and all of it is really good.

I like how the school, map, and dorm themes change as the game goes on. The final map theme in P3 is incredible and really captures the mood near the end of the game. And Changing Seasons is so catchy that I would linger around school talking to everyone to keep listening to it.

#6 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

Yeah, just so everyone knows, if you're favorite is not listed it's because I had to cut it. It's not because I didn't listen to it, but there are a ton of songs in here and I tried my very best to boil it down to only 1 song per game. You see how well that went. I listened to each and every song on both OSTs and chose my personal favorites.

@PerfidiousSinn: I'll put a spoiler warning next to it, sorry. I didn't realize! :P

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19383 posts) -

I haven't finished reading, but it's sad that "Heartful Cry" isn't mentioned anywhere. One of the best songs in P3.

#8 Posted by championfetus (251 posts) -
#9 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Yeah, I don't know.

I think the highs Persona 4 reaches with Pursuing My True Self and Never More probably beat out Persona 3, of course that doesn't mean that Memories of You and Changing Seasons still aren't awesome songs!

Also, what the hell man? no Maya mention? (even though it's a remix from Revelations: Persona, but still!)

EDIT: I should note that I think P3 has a terrible battle theme, but that's just me!

#10 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I know...but it didn't fit any of the categories very well. It's too hard for a slow song, and not as happy as some of the other songs. There are too many great songs and the categories are pretty specific in my head for it to fit.

@Cloudenvy: Ugh! I debated putting this one in, but I dunno man, I just dunno! Persona 4 just had that song and it grabbed me. It's still a great song and deserves recognition, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

#11 Edited by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Both have fantastic soundtracks but overall I'd pick Persona 3 as the winner as well. Still listening to that soundtrack(and the live perfomances, live CD, Reincarnation albums) basically every day. 

Best version of Burn My Dread there is:

#12 Posted by wemibelec90 (1827 posts) -

I'm of the mindset that the female versions of the songs from Persona 3 Portable are the better versions of those Persona 3 songs and if I compare those to the ones from Persona 4, I have a REALLY hard time deciding.

#13 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I haven't finished reading, but it's sad that "Heartful Cry" isn't mentioned anywhere. One of the best songs in P3.

Its the best in my opinion, almost justifies FES entirely on its own during those final battles.

Well at least until P3P raised the bar in the form of Danger Zone and Soul Phase

#14 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@Vexxan: WOW! If I had heard that, it might have swayed my decision. It was such a hard category, because they were all so good. In the end I probably picked the least favorite of all. That Japanese Rapper guy in the FES theme just hit the right notes for Persona 3 for my experience. That guy and the girl with that music. I don't know, it just perfectly captures Persona 3 in my mind. All great opening songs.

#15 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -
@huntad: If you haven't already, you should check out the two live concerts, they're pure goddamn gold.
#16 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

I disagree, but whatever. Also, you guys really need to hear the superior Reincarnation versions of I'll Face Myself (Battle) and Heartbeat, Heartbreak.

Shoji Meguro is a genius.

#17 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@MrAristocrates: I prefer this version of Smile personally:

"DAT VIOLIN" For one a Youtube comment seems appropriate.

#18 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: You were right. I had to add it in my list. The Maiya song off the FES OST just...there's no reason it shouldn't be on a list even if the lists are already long.

I apologize to the world.

Listen to it guys!

#19 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@huntad: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. :D

#20 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Persona 3, easily. So goddamn catchy.

#21 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@MrAristocrates: I don't like that version of Heartbeat, Heartbreak. Too repetitive :| 

This on the other hand...
@WatanabeKazuma said:

@MrAristocrates: I prefer this version of Smile personally:

"DAT VIOLIN" For one a Youtube comment seems appropriate.

is pretty kickin' rad.
#22 Edited by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

Shoji Meguro should've just named P3's soundtrack "Trumpet: The OST."

Both soundtracks are equally eargasmic in my opinion though.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Persona 3 was definitely the better of the two. I like 'em both, but Persona 3 was a little funkier and more vibrant.

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

I totally hate Persona 3's battle theme after a good 60 hours of hearing it. I dunno. It's probably the really bad J-Rapping. Otherwise, I am totally fine with saying that I like both soundtracks about the same. Both have around the same amount of awesome engrish-y lyrics.

But you know what game really wins? SMT Nocturne.

#25 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

@huntad:

I love both so much and I agree with you on most of those categories. Iwatodai Station and Want to be Close are so good! I listen to them all the time in my dorm, especially Iwatodai Station because, well... you know why.

#26 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: Man, I still haven't played that. I finished Persona 3 FES just recently, and I'm working on a playthrough of Persona 4...again. I have all of the persona games that are available in the US except for the first Devil Summoner and the first Persona game on the PSP. I'm either going to play Persona 1 and 2, Nocturne, or work on the Digital Devil series since I can't find Devil Summoner for cheap right now.

#27 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

@huntad: It's pretty great. I mean, I totally hate the Demon Negotiation system because of how blatantly artificial it all seems, but if you want a game with combat like Persona but significantly harder and with more satanic imagery, than this is pretty much the game for you. The occasionally spikes in difficulty are... unpleasant to say the least though.

#28 Edited by huntad (1958 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: Hmm, what do you mean by satanic imagery? Have any examples?

#29 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

I don't know. I like a lot of P3 tracks, but P4's just seem to fit with the game better. To each their own.

#30 Edited by Turambar (6888 posts) -
#31 Posted by Rehtayne (127 posts) -
#32 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@huntad said:

@ArbitraryWater: Hmm, what do you mean by satanic imagery? Have any examples?

You mean aside from Satan himself...?

But yeah, SMT proper paints YHWH as an uncaring, callous asshole. A major theme in almost all SMT games is humanity toppling god from his throne to build a future for itself. Lucifer is actually a character in Nocturne you interact with, not just a summon for your party.

(To be fair, it doesn't cast demons in a good light either-- according to SMT both angels and demons are colossal dicks )

@ArbitraryWater
Thankfully, demon negotiation can be safely ignored in Nocturne, so you don't have to deal with shit. Too bad the same can't be said for certain other SMT....:(
#33 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@mutha3: Hmm, well maybe I don't want to play it. I hate games that deal with religious ideals to such a degree as this. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but most likely not for me. I like to just have a good time like I can with the Persona series. Not a big fan of games with angels and demons in them.

#34 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

@huntad: Don't play any SMT games then. That's kinda the point of them.

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

@huntad said:

@mutha3: Hmm, well maybe I don't want to play it. I hate games that deal with religious ideals to such a degree as this. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but most likely not for me. I like to just have a good time like I can with the Persona series. Not a big fan of games with angels and demons in them.

It's not quite as blatant as it sounds, but yeah. That's basically how it is. On the other hand, one could argue that the Persona games have a similar underlying message (Izanami and Nyx are both gods or godlike beings overcome by mortals trying to choose their own fate rather than have it chosen for them), just diluted with far more J-Pop and Anime, which is probably for the best.

Still, if the overuse of Gnostic imagery and symbolism in something like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Xenogears isn't your cup of tea, then I could see why you have an objection. Personally, I find it all so far removed from what I know as Christianity that I don't take it super seriously.

#36 Edited by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

I've always loved those two songs Joy and Iwatodai Station from the second I heard them. Simply amazing songs. Also, the music in P4 is good, but the P3 music is one of the things that sets that game apart from anything else I've ever played.

#37 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: Yeah, I know that it is what it is. I just don't have much issue with the way it's presented in these Persona games. I've been looking into a lot of the SMT games and it seems a lot more heavy-handed than these. It's not a big deal, but it just doesn't interest me.

I'll still boot them up to see what they're like though. I've never actually played Xenogears.

#38 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:

Still, if the overuse of Gnostic imagery and symbolism in something like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Xenogears isn't your cup of tea, then I could see why you have an objection. Personally, I find it all so far removed from what I know as Christianity that I don't take it super seriously.

Man, I disagree with that. SMT proper might refer to godly beings a lot more directly than Persona, but it sure as hell doesn't contain a lack of understanding from what they're cribbing from and doesn't have horrible hamfisted "symbolism" to along with it. You won't see a cross with epic orchestral music in the background slowly falling to the ground, followed by a trippy anime vision. SMT games tend to be fairly straightforward-- 

This is literally Lucifer, this is literally God. They hate each other.

That being said, SMT creates its own mythology for these godly beings. Obviously, YHWH isn't the only god in SMT.
@huntad
If you could deal with Persona, you can probably deal with other SMT spinoffs like Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga. But the main series? Yup, chances are, you'll be caught in between a battle with Lucifer and God.
#39 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -

This song doesn't even get a single mention?

What's wrong with all of you?

#40 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

Persona battle music is the best! Even if you throw in the female battle theme from P3P, it would still be a tie for me.

The only thing Persona 3 loses on all counts is the dungeon music. Mayhaps if you're looking at only the final section with the whole of the beats to the song, it begins to rival something from Persona 4. It works for what it is, but it definitely isn't as interesting as separate themes for each.

#41 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

Speaking of the Block music. I like how it does build as you travel though the tower.

If anything, it's just a little repetitive at first, but then that piano comes in.

#42 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@SilvarusLupus: Nah man, fuck that song. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

70 hours spent inside Tartarus. Hearing the same fucking song over and over and over oh wait we added a piano on this floor asoishdasiohasodhadasadasdasasasdadaadasda
#43 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

@mutha3: I have a soft spot for pianos.

#44 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@SilvarusLupus: Me too! Pianos are awesome. I've always wanted to learn to play.

#45 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@SilvarusLupus: Its an interesting idea for sure, in execution it fails because its tied up in a whole heap of Tartarus.

Similarly I really like this theme from "The Answer", but you rarely hear it. Not surprising as its only played when you transition to the next dungeon, which takes all of 30 seconds.

Sure there is a melancholy about it, but it really got stuck in my head whilst playing.

@ArbitraryWater: Ah, Nocturne. I still need to get back to that at some point, the music is indeed great though!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.