Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Better Late Than Never: My Own Persona 4 Endurance Run - Part 1

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    No Caption Provided
    Welcome to the first in a series of blogs I call "Better Late Than Never" in which I will document my playthrough of a game that so many Giant Bombers hold close to their heart - Persona 4. Prior to the Endurance Run I had very little knowledge of the Persona series, yet the Endurance Run had intrigued me, and after watching about a dozen or so episodes, I had decided I wanted to play it for myself, so I stopped watching the ER to avoid spoiling the game for me, and purchased a copy of the game (well, I actually purchased two copies of it accidentally, but I'll go into that another time). However, I'm easily distracted, and never even put the disk into my trusty PS2. 

So here I am, nearly a year later, and I've finally got around to playing some Persona 4. The first hour and a half or so seemed extremely boring. It was probably just because I had already seen it when watching the Endurance Run. It's just setting up the story, and has virtually no gameplay, and I already knew what happened. I just wanted to get to playing the goddamn game. But it did refresh my memory and set up the story quite well, so I can't really complain. One of the main things I was reminded of is how insanely Japanese the game is. Everything from the anime cut scenes to the storyline itself just screams out "DUDE!!!! JAPAN!!!". From the constant usage of Japanese honorifics like -san and -senpai to going to school on a Saturday, it's all mad Japanese. And that's really awesome.

No Caption Provided
    So, after the first hour and a half or so the actual game started with a few fights against shadows and Youske's persona. The fighting system already seems really cool. Most of my experience with Japanese RPG's comes from the Final Fantasy series. The FF ATB system always seems to rely on me constantly pressing the X button in order to issue an attack command, mixed with an occasional cure spell, or an attack spell for the bosses. There was a bit more to it than that, but that summarizes it pretty well. Already the Persona 4 battle scheme seems so much more in-depth, with specific enemies being weak to specific attacks, and defending seeming to play more of a significant role. Overall it just seems more strategy based. 

Not long after, we ended up in the first dungeon, which just seems extremely bland and uninteresting. It doesn't stand out, it just seems like a generic video game hallway. But ultimately it's fine as a location for the shadows to reside and to have some battles. All went well and I rescued Chie with little trouble. 

No Caption Provided
    Next though we return to the real world, and I actually get to explore the world on my own. And now I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. In a way, it seems weird that a game hold your hand through the first couple of ours of a game, and then throw you into the deep end with no warning. It does make sense, since the hand holding was for storytelling purposes, but still, at the moment I haven't got a clue what to do. The whole time management, persona fusion and everything else just seems so crazy. I'm not used to be given this much freedom in a JRPG. So far I've played a few days and I've joined the soccer team, spent some time with Youske and spent some time studying in the library. I have no idea when I should be venturing back into the dungeon to rescue Yukiko, or how much time I should be spending with other people, or anything like that.

Anyways, that's where I am at the moment, about 4 hours in. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after playing for a while longer. I don't know how often I'll do one of these blogs - it depends how often I have something to say about the game. I'm not going to rush through it - I think if I pace myself I'll have more chance of actually getting through the whole game. And I have other stuff to do, I can't dedicate too much time to playing the game, so I'll be taking it slow and steady.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    No Caption Provided
    Welcome to the first in a series of blogs I call "Better Late Than Never" in which I will document my playthrough of a game that so many Giant Bombers hold close to their heart - Persona 4. Prior to the Endurance Run I had very little knowledge of the Persona series, yet the Endurance Run had intrigued me, and after watching about a dozen or so episodes, I had decided I wanted to play it for myself, so I stopped watching the ER to avoid spoiling the game for me, and purchased a copy of the game (well, I actually purchased two copies of it accidentally, but I'll go into that another time). However, I'm easily distracted, and never even put the disk into my trusty PS2. 

So here I am, nearly a year later, and I've finally got around to playing some Persona 4. The first hour and a half or so seemed extremely boring. It was probably just because I had already seen it when watching the Endurance Run. It's just setting up the story, and has virtually no gameplay, and I already knew what happened. I just wanted to get to playing the goddamn game. But it did refresh my memory and set up the story quite well, so I can't really complain. One of the main things I was reminded of is how insanely Japanese the game is. Everything from the anime cut scenes to the storyline itself just screams out "DUDE!!!! JAPAN!!!". From the constant usage of Japanese honorifics like -san and -senpai to going to school on a Saturday, it's all mad Japanese. And that's really awesome.

No Caption Provided
    So, after the first hour and a half or so the actual game started with a few fights against shadows and Youske's persona. The fighting system already seems really cool. Most of my experience with Japanese RPG's comes from the Final Fantasy series. The FF ATB system always seems to rely on me constantly pressing the X button in order to issue an attack command, mixed with an occasional cure spell, or an attack spell for the bosses. There was a bit more to it than that, but that summarizes it pretty well. Already the Persona 4 battle scheme seems so much more in-depth, with specific enemies being weak to specific attacks, and defending seeming to play more of a significant role. Overall it just seems more strategy based. 

Not long after, we ended up in the first dungeon, which just seems extremely bland and uninteresting. It doesn't stand out, it just seems like a generic video game hallway. But ultimately it's fine as a location for the shadows to reside and to have some battles. All went well and I rescued Chie with little trouble. 

No Caption Provided
    Next though we return to the real world, and I actually get to explore the world on my own. And now I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. In a way, it seems weird that a game hold your hand through the first couple of ours of a game, and then throw you into the deep end with no warning. It does make sense, since the hand holding was for storytelling purposes, but still, at the moment I haven't got a clue what to do. The whole time management, persona fusion and everything else just seems so crazy. I'm not used to be given this much freedom in a JRPG. So far I've played a few days and I've joined the soccer team, spent some time with Youske and spent some time studying in the library. I have no idea when I should be venturing back into the dungeon to rescue Yukiko, or how much time I should be spending with other people, or anything like that.

Anyways, that's where I am at the moment, about 4 hours in. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after playing for a while longer. I don't know how often I'll do one of these blogs - it depends how often I have something to say about the game. I'm not going to rush through it - I think if I pace myself I'll have more chance of actually getting through the whole game. And I have other stuff to do, I can't dedicate too much time to playing the game, so I'll be taking it slow and steady.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Nice, you're in for a treat. I too stopped watching the ER about a dozen episodes in and then started playing. Then once I got a few play hours in, i'd watch the next episode or two xD. T'was good fun indeed.  Btw, if you want to avoid spoilers I'd recommend not reading the comments of the ER videos...i'd also be wary of assholes who'd post spoilers in here to ruin your fun.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Yeah a lot of people watched the ER first and stopped shortly after since they wanted to play the game (but never gettiing around to doing so). (You people know who you are, STEVE.) But anyway, you shouldn't rush through the game since the offers so many things to do on your own time. Occasionally you'll get the odd scripted sequence but that aside you'll find that there's lots to do later on. For a JRPG it is surprisingly open and linear at the same time. Play on Matty. It'll be interesting to see what someone else thinks of this little gem of a game.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BrickRoad
    @MattyFTM: Enjoy the squashed PAL image and slower refresh rate my friend, I sure did. I sure... I ...
    MrStephenAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MrStephenAllen
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " Yeah a lot of people watched the ER first and stopped shortly after since they wanted to play the game (but never gettiing around to doing so). (You people know who you are, STEVE.) But anyway, you shouldn't rush through the game since the offers so many things to do on your own time. Occasionally you'll get the odd scripted sequence but that aside you'll find that there's lots to do later on. For a JRPG it is surprisingly open and linear at the same time. Play on Matty. It'll be interesting to see what someone else thinks of this little gem of a game. "
    You know I've had a huge catalog of games to get through... besides, shut up.  (Don't forget who got you P3FES and P4)

Sorry had to get that attack on my pride out of the way. Anyway, you should slow down a little bit and stop generalizing everything. Go into as much detail as you feel is possible because with a game like this, the little things are the most interesting to read about. Talk about the characters and even some of the scripted scenes. It's really the dungeon crawling scenes that you should glance over, maybe highlighting one or two areas.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b

Good luck.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @MrStephenAllen said:

"Anyway, you should slow down a little bit and stop generalizing everything. Go into as much detail as you feel is possible because with a game like this, the little things are the most interesting to read about. Talk about the characters and even some of the scripted scenes. It's really the dungeon crawling scenes that you should glance over, maybe highlighting one or two areas. "

This was just a brief start, I do plan on going into a fair bit more detail in my future blogs. I still don't want to go into too much detail though. So many people on the site have played (or watched Jeff & Vinny play) so much of this game, I wanted it to jog peoples memories and make them think of their experiences with it rather than be a deep analysis of the game, since most people have probably already read, wrote or thought about all the in-depth details of the game itself. I dunno. Nothings set in stone, I'll think about how to proceed with the blogs as I'm playing it.
    NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By NathHaw

I'd recommend watching the endurance run before playing the game even if you watch just far enough to keep ahead of where you are in the play through of the game.  If anything, playing the game first will ruin the endurance run.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By armaan8014

So did you stop ER ing?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.