Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Canon Relationship for Yu?

• 108 results
    neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By neurotic

There isn't one. They don't do any of that in the anime. There are moments of shipping with each the party member ladies though. Choose whichever one you prefer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah, there isn't one. It definitely directs you more to Yukiko and Rise, since they are the most feminine and lack any Unresolved Sexual Tension with any other character. Yosuke and Chie are clearly going to hook up and the whole Kanji and Naoto thing is hysterical.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Ravenlight

Adachi, obviously.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By BoG

YUKIKO IS CANON IN MY HEART. <3 YUKIKOOOOOOO.

I did always think that it was Rise, however.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By nightriff

@Ravenlight: With P4G this might be possible....

Ersanven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ersanven

It's obviously Nanako. He is the Sister Complex Kingpin after all.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Phatmac

Teddy.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By Cathryn

If I had to pick one, I'd say Rise, but I don't think the Persona 4 protagonist really had a canon love interest -- they just didn't write things that way. I do think, however, that you're spot on with Yukari and Minato.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Bocam

In P4G there's technically a canon love interest.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By nightriff

@Cathryn: Before I played the P3P I read somewhere that that was the canon relationship (Yukari and Minato). Out of the 3 main girls she was the one that most makes sense, Mitsuru is just doing her own thing I didn't get very far with Fuuka to really have an opinion on that arc. But I will say that I enjoyed the Chihiro social link more than Yukari one which saddened me a bit.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By Dagbiker

Came in here only to post an obligatory "who the hell is Yu but was preempted by the op.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By AndrewB

Rise is definitely the one that's constantly making advances on Yu. The rest are just flirty at some points. He doesn't canonically end up with anyone...

In my mind the only answer is Chie, though. Those legs!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RE_Player1

@ArbitraryWater said:

Well, he doesn't end up with anyone in the anime, despite some teasing towards a relationship with Rise, so that's probably the answer.

While they do tease that I still think it's no one.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ftomato

@Nightriff: Pretty much every max level social link with a romantic interest alludes to sex in P3.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By Nux

I feel like that it should be Yukiko but I'm pretty sure that there is no Canon relationship for Persona 4.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Brodehouse said:

Yosuke and Chie are clearly going to hook up

I disagree. After playing Persona 2, it's pretty clear that Yosuke and Chie's relationship is practically the same as Eikichi and Ginko's (P2), Nanjo and Mark's (P1) and Junpei and Yukari's (P3). Eikichi had an actual other love interest that wasn't Lisa, despite the joke flirting, and Junpei ended up with Chidori. If it wasn't for his girlfriend ending up totally dead, Yosuke would have hooked up with Saki.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By nightriff

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

I disagree. After playing Persona 2, it's pretty clear that Yosuke and Chie's relationship is practically the same as Eikichi and Ginko's (P2), Nanjo and Mark's (P1) and Junpei and Yukari's (P3). Eikichi had an actual other love interest that wasn't Lisa, despite the joke flirting, and Junpei ended up with Chidori. If it wasn't for his girlfriend ending up totally dead, he would have hooked up with her.

Chie deserves better than Yosuke, Yosuke is the worst.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RE_Player1

@Nightriff said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

I disagree. After playing Persona 2, it's pretty clear that Yosuke and Chie's relationship is practically the same as Eikichi and Ginko's (P2), Nanjo and Mark's (P1) and Junpei and Yukari's (P3). Eikichi had an actual other love interest that wasn't Lisa, despite the joke flirting, and Junpei ended up with Chidori. If it wasn't for his girlfriend ending up totally dead, he would have hooked up with her.

Chie deserves better than Yosuke, Yosuke is the worst.

Aww I like Yosuke :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ

@Brodehouse said:

I disagree. After playing Persona 2, it's pretty clear that Yosuke and Chie's relationship is practically the same as Eikichi and Ginko's (P2), Nanjo and Mark's (P1) and Junpei and Yukari's (P3). Eikichi had an actual other love interest that wasn't Lisa, despite the joke flirting, and Junpei ended up with Chidori. If it wasn't for his girlfriend ending up totally dead, Yosuke would have hooked up with Saki.

Nah, I disagree. They have the same archetypical relationship but they respond differently. Chie actually does like Yosuke as a guy, despite some of the stupid things he does, and they are more comfortable around each other than any of the other cast members. Whereas Yukari was _not_ comfortable around Junpei, she actively disliked him. Chie and Yosuke fight like a married couple or Vitriolic Best Buds, Yukari legitimately disliked and was angry with Junpei when he would say anything. Chie likes Yosuke and kicks him when he's being a perv, whereas Yukari _puts up with_ Junpei and screeches at him whenever he says anything.

The anime plays it up even more. Especially the fighting like a married couple.

I actually like Yosuke for the same reason I like most of the P4 characters; they took an archetype and explored their humanity rather than just ran on the surface. Junpei is Yosuke at the beginning of the game, a pervy chucklehead whose only personal thing is a quest to avenge some girl they liked. But through the game Yosuke grows, and his characterization seems honest rather than forced. He's not 'that guy' because your team needs that kind of character, he's that guy because he _is_ that guy. And a lot of people can't accept characters with uncool flaws (like wanting to be cool). Ironically, in a game about narccicism and the fear of being negatively judged for your flaws.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

Except for the fact that Saki hated Yosuke.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam said:

Except for the fact that Saki hated Yosuke.

Shadows are always an exaggerated version of one's inner feelings and that's probably what Yosuke saw when he heard her in the TV world. Chie doesn't abhor Yukiko and Yosuke doesn't think everyone's a pain, so I think it's the same thing, there. If we are to take what Shadows say as fact, then Lisa Silverman doesn't actually love Tatsuya but simply wants to use him, which obviously isn't true given their interactions and her dialogue after she confronts her Shadow.

@Brodehouse: I understand what you're saying, but we'll probably have to agree to disagree on that point because I still don't think there's the implication that there's a romantic interest between Chie and Yosuke. I also don't feel that Yukari hated Junpei's guts as much as you seem to state she did.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rehtayne

It has to be Yumi, right?

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mutha3
    @Bocam said:

In P4G there's technically a canon love interest.

That scene is optional, so nah. Woulda been funny too see the reaction, though.

But really, the canon love interest is Yosuke and everyone here knows it. 

@FluxWaveZ said:

Eikichi had an actual other love interest that wasn't Lisa, despite the joke flirting, and Junpei ended up with Chidori. If it wasn't for his girlfriend ending up totally dead, Yosuke would have hooked up with Saki.

And hey, some folks claims that Labrys might fulfill the same role.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3: I'm talking about something that happens in the epilogue.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mutha3
    @Bocam said:

Yeah, I'm aware!That scene only happens if her S-link is maxed, with the dating route.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3 said:

@Bocam said:

Yeah, I'm aware!That scene only happens if her S-link is maxed, with the dating route.

I did not know that. The way Rise reacts is great

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By aznjon12

Labrys right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ I can't think of a single time Yukari says anything remotely friendly or even positive to Junpei. When she speaks to Minato she's her usual self, when she speaks to Junpei she becomes immediately hostile and defensive; that's called hypervigilance. She tolerates Junpei because she has to work with him as a part of SEES, compare to Chie and Yosuke actually have something of a friendship before and especially afterward. I noticed it more when I was playing the girl protagonist in Portable, probably because the shift in my perception.

And yeah there's no real 'romantic' stuff happening between Chie and Yosuke, and that's probably a good thing because that doesn't really fit those characters. It's UST; Unresolved Sexual Tension. They're of the Sam and Diane, Slap-Slap-Kiss variety. Yukiko is awkward, Yu says something nice, that's that relationship. Yosuke teases Chie, she kicks him, that's that one.
    pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#79  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Bocam said:

@mutha3 said:

@Bocam said:

I did not know that. The way Rise reacts is great

Alright, I'm curious... What are you guys talking about?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@pyromagnestir said:

Alright, I'm curious... What are you guys talking about?

Presumably, a scene involving Marie in Persona 4 Golden that you could probably find out in the Persona 4 Golden Spoiler thread.

@Brodehouse: I think I remember Yukari saying that Junpei is pretty strong after he copes with Chidori's death and evolves as a character. I think she's also generally less hostile to him in The Answer after the aforementioned growth.

But I do not disagree that Yukari is more hostile towards Junpei than Chie is to Yosuke. I just don't see the unresolved sexual tension thing at all; all I see are two friends who get along pretty much exactly like Eikichi and Lisa. Yosuke says in Persona 4 that Chie isn't his type of girl when Yu tells him about his love interest and Yosuke describes a girl that's pretty much the opposite of Chie during the Love Date Cafe scene. Yosuke also talks about what kind of girl he would go for in his Persona 4 Arena story mode which, again, doesn't fit Chie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also do you know what I think is both hysterical and what could actually happen; Labrys x Teddie. Neither of them is technically human, both had to come to terms with what they are, they both have to figure out how to make their way in the world. They're both stupidly cute. She doesn't get as annoyed at his corniness or his perviness. That's the one, you guys!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mutha3
    @Brodehouse said:

@FluxWaveZ I can't think of a single time Yukari says anything remotely friendly or even positive to Junpei. When she speaks to Minato she's her usual self, when she speaks to Junpei she becomes immediately hostile and defensive;

Nah, when Chidori dies, she's one of the few who's being considerate towards Junpei. I'm with Flux. Yukari might think Junpei's annoying from time to time, but I definitely wouldn't say she legitimately hates the guy. Its pretty much the Yosuke/Chie dynamic.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#83  Edited By pyromagnestir

@mutha3 said:

@Brodehouse said:

@FluxWaveZ I can't think of a single time Yukari says anything remotely friendly or even positive to Junpei. When she speaks to Minato she's her usual self, when she speaks to Junpei she becomes immediately hostile and defensive;

Nah, when Chidori dies, she's one of the few who's being considerate towards Junpei. I'm with Flux. Yukari might think Junpei's annoying from time to time, but I definitely wouldn't say she legitimately hates the guy. Its pretty much the Yosuke/Chie dynamic.

I'm with Brodehouse. She really seemed to not like the guy. Hates maybe a little strong, but still. And she'd have to be a real bitch to not be considerate to a guy when someone he loves dies. That's the least she can do.

@Dethfish said:

I'd say if it was anyone it'd be Yukiko just because she's the only one that doesn't have a pretty clear pairing with anyone else. It's Chie/Yosuke, Naoto/Kanji, Rise/Teddie, and Yu/Yukiko.

Rise/Teddy? Where you getting that from? Teddy was flirty, but he never really singled any of the ladies out. He was an equal opportunity flirt. Hell, I saw more to indicate a possible future Nanako/Teddy pairing than anything involving Rise and Teddy... Um... When Nanako grows up, that is... Never mind...

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@Nightriff: That one just went right over your head, didn't it? Nobody else mentioned "Charlie", and you were the only other person to say "Chie". I feel bad for having to explain this. Here I was, reaching out, duder-to-duder, and you just go and make a mess out of it. Feel ashamed. VERY ashamed.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By neurotic

@pyromagnestir said:

@Dethfish said:

I'd say if it was anyone it'd be Yukiko just because she's the only one that doesn't have a pretty clear pairing with anyone else. It's Chie/Yosuke, Naoto/Kanji, Rise/Teddie, and Yu/Yukiko.

Rise/Teddy? Where you getting that from? Teddy was flirty, but he never really singled any of the ladies out. He was an equal opportunity flirt. Hell, I saw more to indicate a possible future Nanako/Teddy pairing than anything involving Rise and Teddy... Um... When Nanako grows up, that is... Never mind...

Dunno about this guy, but Rise/Teddie is just what is left after everyone else is paired together for me (Charlie/Yukiko, Chie/Yosuke, Kanji/Naoto). It doesn't make a lick of sense but it's better than those two just putzing around being lonely.

As for the Chie/Yosuke thing, even considering the Naoto romance makes me feel bad about Kanji's possible reaction (especially since there is apparently some recognition of your relationship in Golden) but in playthroughs where I've done the Chie romance I haven't felt bad for Yosuke. I still think they have a good rapport though. Relationships have been built on the basis of less.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By dvdhaus

For some reason I feel that Yukiko is the "cannon" relationship. All the hints that they drop in the game and even most of the hints in P4A. Yeah there are a lot of funny bits in P4A and trying to figure out which stuff is considered "cannon" can give one headaches. Part of me also thinks that is why Aram brought up Yukiko in the QLEX of P4A. Why else would he bring that up? Guess that could be his favorite.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#87  Edited By rjayb89

I always pegged Charlie as a big butts and Latina kind of guy, so none of them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BisonHero

@rjayb89 said:

I always pegged Charlie as a big butts and Latina kind of guy, so none of them.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Seriously though, this thread should be ashamed of itself for not producing pictures of Charlie standing beside a cannon.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Aegon

I choose Yukiko.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm pretty sure Rise is the accepted answer.

mao16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mao16

From the games and anime I would say there is no canon relationship/ no one.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By Red

In the anime everyone is just in love with him. And I mean everyone. He seems to be more than willing to play the role of the flirt. Pretty much every woman he interacts with he helps discovers themselves, and causes them to do a little anime blush.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By nightriff

@Red said:

In the anime everyone is just in love with him. And I mean everyone. He seems to be more than willing to play the role of the flirt. Pretty much every woman he interacts with he helps discovers themselves, and causes them to do a little anime blush.

I need to sit down and watch the anime already, it's not that long so I don't know why I haven't done it yet.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By toowalrus

@Red said:

Right. So Ayane.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By unequivocable

I always felt like I was being pushed by the game to hook up with Yukiko when I was playing it the first time. I, of course, went for Chie instead (even though this was pre-Endurance Run--she's still the obvious choice).

But it would also make sense if it was unofficially Rise as well as they introduce her commercial in the intro cinematic so that would make for a complete story arc.

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By aznjon12

For anyone who has played Persona 4 Arena which has been called canon. The only real answer is Nanako.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By toowalrus

@aznjon12 said:

For anyone who has played Persona 4 Arena which has been called canon. The only real answer is Nanako.

But hands off while she's underage.

...WHAT THE HELL, DOJIMA?

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By LastBestHope

I'd say Rise sense she literally has a heart appear above her head when she looks at Yu/you after you rescue her and you all talk at the shrine.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By LastBestHope

@LastBestHope: But I don't think Atlus intended there to be a canon girlfriend in this game, it's whoever you choose.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#100  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I'm holding my breath and am waiting for Golden to see how large of a role Marie ends up playing. She seems like a solid candidate for canon from what I've been reading and what I've been spoiled on.

Really excited for Golden!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.