Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Did you dust of your PS2 and buy Persona4 after watching the Endurance Runs?

MMMMCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MMMMCheese
    clovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By clovy

Well the endurance run did convince me to immediately buy the only copy of Persona 3: FES at my local best buy. but im sure ill pick up Persona 4 when im done with 3. Maybe even before because i don't know how rare copies of P4 are these days.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By logson

The endurance run not only inspired me to buy the game, it got the ball rolling to put Persona on the short list of my favorite franchises. I'm on my second playthrough of P4, I'll be getting P3 FES, and P5 is my most anticipated game of every trade show until it's shown.

@clovy said:
    "  i don't know how rare copies of P4 are these days. "
    They're not rare at all. Atlus seems to have pressed plenty, as Amazon is still selling them new.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By droop

Would love to see a sales graph from release date to now .. Just to see if the ED affected it :P

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cc23574

Definitly, I bought it past Saturday and I love it, one of the best games I've ever played!

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Clubvodka

I bought FES and Persona 4, burning my way through FES.
    Does FES or Persona 3 have a soundtrack disc out there somewhere?

Avatar image for viklanderviking
    viklanderviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By viklanderviking

Yes I did, playing through it right now, and I absolutely love it. The characters and the story is just really good. The dungeon crawling can get tiring after a while, but then you do some social linking, and when you come back it feels fresh again.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @Clubvodka said:
    " I bought FES and Persona 4, burning my way through FES.Does FES or Persona 3 have a soundtrack disc out there somewhere? "
    I bought Persona 3 on day 1.  At that time it came with the soundtrack disc for free (as well as an artbook).  I don't think they ever had it for sale separately though; least not in America.  You may be able to find it online somewhere though (for purchase, of course). 

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By NathHaw

I Gameflied Persona 3 just cuz of the P4 run going on.  I should be able to play it earlier today.  I have Nocturne, but I've never finished it.  Got boring to me.  I hope that P3 is much better, and from what I've heard, it is.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MrWakka

Never would have bothered with the series as i am not a huge jrpg fan, i find them typically lacking and poor in terms of story.

However after watching the endurance run over a week in a marathon i was sold and went and picked it up, it really is the first jrpg i've enjoyed in a long time.
    TwelveSided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwelveSided

After about 10 episodes, I bought a PS2 just to play it. 

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I never let my PS2 collect dust in the first place. It's a great console, and I don't plan on stopping as long as they keep making great games for it, such as Persona 4.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By fugie7

my sister has my ps2 so i dont know if it even has dust on it.  for persona 4 iv been playing it on my ps3.

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrFidget

I bought P4 in the Amazon sale giantbomb plugged. I actually had lent my PS2 out for about a year. I told the guy I needed it back and it turned out he lent it to some kids… who destroyed it. Long story short I wound up buying a backwards compatible PS3. It has only been used to play Persona.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I bought Persona 3 FES because of the Endurance Run, and borrowed my friend's PS2 to play it. Now I will probably get my own and Persona 4 with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want it now, but I gave away my PS2 and all my games to a younger cousin seeing as I'd played through all the games I had and was ready to focus on my PS3, Wii and 360.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By dethfish

I actually sold my PS2 about 2 months before the ER started and have regretted it ever since. Luckily my younger brothers still have their PS2 so I plan on buying P4 soon and just playing it on there.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By subject2change

Played on PS3 which isn't dusty. However wanted to purchase it prior to the run but it was the step that drew me into Atlus and Shin Megami Tensei. Got it during the Amazon sale.

ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ponyslayer

yep, just beat kanji's shadow and still surprised by how much fun the actually battle system is.

this is the first jrpg I've played since breath of fire 2..

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By D_W

While I didn't have to dust off my PS2, I did buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59601bf090f91
    deactivated-59601bf090f91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I went out and bought a PS2 just to play P4 after seeing the endurance runs. Kind of regretting not forking out for a 60GB PS3 now!

jon93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jon93

I actually dusted off my PS3and bought Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.

Poor PS3, I really wish I played it more.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @Jon93 said:
    " I actually dusted off my PS3and bought Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.Poor PS3, I really wish I played it more. "
    That reminds me...the first game I ever played on my PS3 was Persona 3.  My PS3 started life out as a super expensive PS2.  Don't think I played any PS3 games on it till several months later.
    MMMMCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MMMMCheese

I moved to a new city back in 2005.  I didn't even bother unpacking my PS2, until late 2008.  When I got it out and turned it on Final Fantasy X was in the drive with a whopping 15 minutes of playtime - so I finished that before grabbing persona 4 (due to the endurance runs)

I haven't played a next gen game that comes close to the satisfaction I got out of finishing FFX or P4.  Long live the PS2!

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By GleasonRyan

im trading in some games to amazon since they have a deal where if you trade in 75$ or more you get a 75$ gift card towards a console so its enough for me to get what i need. :D i cant WAIT

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tekmojo

I've only seen one Persona vid thingy, don't lynch me, just not my type of game.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dauragon

I bout a used slim ps2 for 60 bucks a few days ago so i could play persona 4. My Launch ps2 finally kicked the bucket.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By GleasonRyan
    @tekmojo: its not my type of game either that why i didnt watch it at first but i started and got hooked
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

I bought the game before the Endurance Run but I dusted off my PS2 in order to play it, yes.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tekmojo
    @www1221:

I mean if I was at the store and saw it for like $5-$10 in a bargain bin, I would totally jump on it. Otherwise I will try to focus more on current-gen titles.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Venatio

The Endurance Run made the game look really good to me so I bought P4 after about episode 16 but I didnt dust off my PS2, instead Im playing it on my 60GB PS3, I like the wireless controller better, my PS2 is still very dusty and unplugged sitting on my shelf somewhere

I also plan to purchase Persona 3:FES as soon as I can so yeah, the ER made me a Persona fan. I also plan to purchase Persona PSP if Atlus ever decides to release it here in Europe

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Venatio

The Endurance Run made the game look good to me so i bought P4 after episode 16 but I didnt dust off my PS2, Im playing it on my 60GB PS3, I like the wireless controller better

My PS2 is still very dusty and unhooked on my shelf somewhere. I also plan to purchase Persona 3:FES as soon as I can so yes, the ER made me a Persona fan

Also, if Atlus ever decides to release Persona PSP over here in Europe then I plan to purchase that too

FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FrEeZe

I bought P4 after watching tons of Endurance Run. Unfortunately I am losing interest in the Endurance runs because I keep on going ahead of Jeff and Vinny so I can't give a fresh reaction when I see stuff happen on the show.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, I got a PS2 slim just to play the game. (I'd given away my old one)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By JJOR64

I really don't plan on buying this right now.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#36  Edited By metalsnakezero

Already got it when it came out but what convince me to buy it was a playthrough on YouTube by MasterLL. He also does other anime and JRPG related games: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterLL
    BTW I'm playing it on my PS3, glad that I got the system early :D

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeadMan

I tried dusting off my PS2 but it turns out it was broken, both the fat and the slim one .....sigh....time to buy a new one, good thing they are 99 bucks now.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Daroki
    @Venatio said:
    "The Endurance Run made the game look good to me so i bought P4 after episode 16 but I didnt dust off my PS2, Im playing it on my 60GB PS3, I like the wireless controller better My PS2 is still very dusty and unhooked on my shelf somewhere. I also plan to purchase Persona 3:FES as soon as I can so yes, the ER made me a Persona fanAlso, if Atlus ever decides to release Persona PSP over here in Europe then I plan to purchase that too"

If Persona PSP comes out in Europe and it's anything like the other Atlus games going there, you're looking for Square Enix to pick it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the PSP regionfree?
    Might as well just import it dude.

switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By switchit

I borrowed it from a friend a couple of days ago and im absolutly hooked. The first 4 hours (aka the introduction/intro) had me falling in love, but i got really stuck at the fight with Yukikos shadow. Damn that thing was hard, am I the only one? After i beat it though it keeped getting better and better. All the different shit i can do to progress. Man im loving it now. Didnt think i would ever love a JRPG, ever, but this one have me glued to the screen for many hours a day.

I quick question though. The secret boss at Yukiko's castle; am i not able to beat it shortly after i beat Yukiko's shadow, or am i far behind what i should be able to beat?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Ineedaname

Yup, I picked it up today and took the plunge, dug up my PS2 from the draw, after a half hour or so of unraveling the cables, from the draw with cables to things I didn't even know I had I set it up and got started =D

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I bought Persona 3 and a PS2 because of the Endurance Run.

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By Chaossebba

I was able to get both Persona3 and Persona4 off eBay since nobody here in good ol' Belgium decides to sell em.

SaraHysaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SaraHysaro

My mother bought me Persona 4 after someone at my local Gamestop recommended it, along with a few other PS2 games...I think one of them was a Harvest something or other, and...Odin Sphere? I should get around to playing those other ones soon. I got them for Christmas and still haven't touched them. xD

I found the Endurance Run shortly after starting up P4. They were on episode...83? 84? I forget, but they were around that range. I watched a few episodes and got hooked, and I feel motivated to press forward in the game to see what I have to potentially look forward to seeing Vinny and Jeff comment on. ^^

I have to wonder if the person who recommended it watched the endurance run or simply just plays a number of games to help them out at their job. It would be interesting if it was the former.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shadows_kill

yes i dusted off my ps2 ... but not for p4 but persona 3 FES but i still got it just because of the endurance run..........

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.