Did you dust of your PS2 and buy Persona4 after watching the Endurance Runs?

#1 Posted by MMMMCheese (16 posts) -
#2 Edited by clovy (170 posts) -

Well the endurance run did convince me to immediately buy the only copy of Persona 3: FES at my local best buy. but im sure ill pick up Persona 4 when im done with 3. Maybe even before because i don't know how rare copies of P4 are these days.

#3 Posted by logson (521 posts) -

The endurance run not only inspired me to buy the game, it got the ball rolling to put Persona on the short list of my favorite franchises. I'm on my second playthrough of P4, I'll be getting P3 FES, and P5 is my most anticipated game of every trade show until it's shown.

@clovy said:
"  i don't know how rare copies of P4 are these days. "
They're not rare at all. Atlus seems to have pressed plenty, as Amazon is still selling them new.

#4 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

Would love to see a sales graph from release date to now .. Just to see if the ED affected it :P

#5 Posted by cc23574 (665 posts) -

Definitly, I bought it past Saturday and I love it, one of the best games I've ever played!

#6 Posted by Clubvodka (417 posts) -

I bought FES and Persona 4, burning my way through FES.
Does FES or Persona 3 have a soundtrack disc out there somewhere?

#7 Posted by viklanderviking (198 posts) -

Yes I did, playing through it right now, and I absolutely love it. The characters and the story is just really good. The dungeon crawling can get tiring after a while, but then you do some social linking, and when you come back it feels fresh again.

#8 Posted by ChrisTaran (1667 posts) -
@Clubvodka said:
" I bought FES and Persona 4, burning my way through FES.Does FES or Persona 3 have a soundtrack disc out there somewhere? "
I bought Persona 3 on day 1.  At that time it came with the soundtrack disc for free (as well as an artbook).  I don't think they ever had it for sale separately though; least not in America.  You may be able to find it online somewhere though (for purchase, of course). 

#9 Posted by NathHaw (2799 posts) -

I Gameflied Persona 3 just cuz of the P4 run going on.  I should be able to play it earlier today.  I have Nocturne, but I've never finished it.  Got boring to me.  I hope that P3 is much better, and from what I've heard, it is.

#10 Posted by MrWakka (119 posts) -

Never would have bothered with the series as i am not a huge jrpg fan, i find them typically lacking and poor in terms of story.

However after watching the endurance run over a week in a marathon i was sold and went and picked it up, it really is the first jrpg i've enjoyed in a long time.
#11 Posted by TwelveSided (11 posts) -

After about 10 episodes, I bought a PS2 just to play it. 

#12 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I never let my PS2 collect dust in the first place. It's a great console, and I don't plan on stopping as long as they keep making great games for it, such as Persona 4.

#13 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

my sister has my ps2 so i dont know if it even has dust on it.  for persona 4 iv been playing it on my ps3.

#14 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

I bought P4 in the Amazon sale giantbomb plugged. I actually had lent my PS2 out for about a year. I told the guy I needed it back and it turned out he lent it to some kids… who destroyed it. Long story short I wound up buying a backwards compatible PS3. It has only been used to play Persona.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12006 posts) -

I bought Persona 3 FES because of the Endurance Run, and borrowed my friend's PS2 to play it. Now I will probably get my own and Persona 4 with it.

#16 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I really want it now, but I gave away my PS2 and all my games to a younger cousin seeing as I'd played through all the games I had and was ready to focus on my PS3, Wii and 360.

#17 Posted by Dethfish (3692 posts) -

I actually sold my PS2 about 2 months before the ER started and have regretted it ever since. Luckily my younger brothers still have their PS2 so I plan on buying P4 soon and just playing it on there.

#18 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Played on PS3 which isn't dusty. However wanted to purchase it prior to the run but it was the step that drew me into Atlus and Shin Megami Tensei. Got it during the Amazon sale.

#19 Posted by ponyslayer (164 posts) -

yep, just beat kanji's shadow and still surprised by how much fun the actually battle system is.

this is the first jrpg I've played since breath of fire 2..

#20 Posted by D_W (1188 posts) -

While I didn't have to dust off my PS2, I did buy it.

#21 Posted by Roundlay (126 posts) -

Actually, I went out and bought a PS2 just to play P4 after seeing the endurance runs. Kind of regretting not forking out for a 60GB PS3 now!

#22 Posted by Jon93 (156 posts) -

I actually dusted off my PS3 and bought Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.

Poor PS3, I really wish I played it more.

#23 Edited by ChrisTaran (1667 posts) -
@Jon93 said:
" I actually dusted off my PS3 and bought Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.Poor PS3, I really wish I played it more. "
That reminds me...the first game I ever played on my PS3 was Persona 3.  My PS3 started life out as a super expensive PS2.  Don't think I played any PS3 games on it till several months later.
#24 Edited by MMMMCheese (16 posts) -

I moved to a new city back in 2005.  I didn't even bother unpacking my PS2, until late 2008.  When I got it out and turned it on Final Fantasy X was in the drive with a whopping 15 minutes of playtime - so I finished that before grabbing persona 4 (due to the endurance runs)

I haven't played a next gen game that comes close to the satisfaction I got out of finishing FFX or P4.  Long live the PS2!

#25 Posted by GleasonRyan (244 posts) -

im trading in some games to amazon since they have a deal where if you trade in 75$ or more you get a 75$ gift card towards a console so its enough for me to get what i need. :D i cant WAIT

#26 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

I've only seen one Persona vid thingy, don't lynch me, just not my type of game.

#27 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

I bout a used slim ps2 for 60 bucks a few days ago so i could play persona 4. My Launch ps2 finally kicked the bucket.

#28 Posted by GleasonRyan (244 posts) -
@tekmojo: its not my type of game either that why i didnt watch it at first but i started and got hooked
#29 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I bought the game before the Endurance Run but I dusted off my PS2 in order to play it, yes.

#30 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -
@www1221:

I mean if I was at the store and saw it for like $5-$10 in a bargain bin, I would totally jump on it. Otherwise I will try to focus more on current-gen titles.
#31 Edited by Venatio (4493 posts) -

The Endurance Run made the game look really good to me so I bought P4 after about episode 16 but I didnt dust off my PS2, instead Im playing it on my 60GB PS3, I like the wireless controller better, my PS2 is still very dusty and unplugged sitting on my shelf somewhere

I also plan to purchase Persona 3:FES as soon as I can so yeah, the ER made me a Persona fan. I also plan to purchase Persona PSP if Atlus ever decides to release it here in Europe

#32 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

The Endurance Run made the game look good to me so i bought P4 after episode 16 but I didnt dust off my PS2, Im playing it on my 60GB PS3, I like the wireless controller better

My PS2 is still very dusty and unhooked on my shelf somewhere. I also plan to purchase Persona 3:FES as soon as I can so yes, the ER made me a Persona fan

Also, if Atlus ever decides to release Persona PSP over here in Europe then I plan to purchase that too

#33 Posted by FrEeZe (301 posts) -

I bought P4 after watching tons of Endurance Run. Unfortunately I am losing interest in the Endurance runs because I keep on going ahead of Jeff and Vinny so I can't give a fresh reaction when I see stuff happen on the show.

#34 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Hell, I got a PS2 slim just to play the game. (I'd given away my old one)

#35 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

I really don't plan on buying this right now.

#36 Edited by metalsnakezero (2341 posts) -

Already got it when it came out but what convince me to buy it was a playthrough on YouTube by MasterLL. He also does other anime and JRPG related games: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterLL
BTW I'm playing it on my PS3, glad that I got the system early :D

#37 Posted by DeadMan (155 posts) -

I tried dusting off my PS2 but it turns out it was broken, both the fat and the slim one .....sigh....time to buy a new one, good thing they are 99 bucks now.

#38 Posted by Daroki (717 posts) -
@Venatio said:
"The Endurance Run made the game look good to me so i bought P4 after episode 16 but I didnt dust off my PS2, Im playing it on my 60GB PS3, I like the wireless controller better My PS2 is still very dusty and unhooked on my shelf somewhere. I also plan to purchase Persona 3:FES as soon as I can so yes, the ER made me a Persona fanAlso, if Atlus ever decides to release Persona PSP over here in Europe then I plan to purchase that too"

If Persona PSP comes out in Europe and it's anything like the other Atlus games going there, you're looking for Square Enix to pick it up.
#39 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Isn't the PSP regionfree?
Might as well just import it dude.

#40 Posted by switchit (119 posts) -

I borrowed it from a friend a couple of days ago and im absolutly hooked. The first 4 hours (aka the introduction/intro) had me falling in love, but i got really stuck at the fight with Yukikos shadow. Damn that thing was hard, am I the only one? After i beat it though it keeped getting better and better. All the different shit i can do to progress. Man im loving it now. Didnt think i would ever love a JRPG, ever, but this one have me glued to the screen for many hours a day.

I quick question though. The secret boss at Yukiko's castle; am i not able to beat it shortly after i beat Yukiko's shadow, or am i far behind what i should be able to beat?

#41 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Yup, I picked it up today and took the plunge, dug up my PS2 from the draw, after a half hour or so of unraveling the cables, from the draw with cables to things I didn't even know I had I set it up and got started =D

#42 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3710 posts) -

I bought Persona 3 and a PS2 because of the Endurance Run.

#43 Posted by Chaossebba (286 posts) -

I was able to get both Persona3 and Persona4 off eBay since nobody here in good ol' Belgium decides to sell em.

#44 Posted by SaraHysaro (100 posts) -

My mother bought me Persona 4 after someone at my local Gamestop recommended it, along with a few other PS2 games...I think one of them was a Harvest something or other, and...Odin Sphere? I should get around to playing those other ones soon. I got them for Christmas and still haven't touched them. xD

I found the Endurance Run shortly after starting up P4. They were on episode...83? 84? I forget, but they were around that range. I watched a few episodes and got hooked, and I feel motivated to press forward in the game to see what I have to potentially look forward to seeing Vinny and Jeff comment on. ^^

I have to wonder if the person who recommended it watched the endurance run or simply just plays a number of games to help them out at their job. It would be interesting if it was the former.

#45 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

yes i dusted off my ps2 ... but not for p4 but persona 3 FES but i still got it just because of the endurance run..........

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.