Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Do you think it's funny when Jeff pulls out his walkthrough?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grissefar

I think it's pretty funny when Jeff uses a walkthrough and acts surprised when stuff happens. Mostly because acting surprised is not one of his strongest suits.

10/9: Hey Vinny! Let's try and check the bookstore that we haven't checked in a month. Oh cool, a new book just arrived today.

10/10 Before checking the shopping district: Hey Vinny, today is Monday, which is Young Mother day, right? I just remembered that, even though we haven't visited her in 6 months, oh and I also remembered that the only other available social links today are the ones we have maxed and Death and Fox so we might as well go to the bus stop without checking.

10/13: Hey Vinny! We maxed Dojima, but try and talk to him anyways, see what he says. You know, it might be one of those Junes trips that are only available like 3 times throughout the game. Trip to Junes. What? Ehh. I... I don't...ehh...feeh...what is...alright let's go to Junes!

Already these answers for quizes feel a little dirty. Yeah, no wonder, when you are using the walkthrough for more than just quiz answers without telling the viewers, you sneaky rascal.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

What's more funny is how people used to get pissy with them for not playing the game like they had just read a walkthrough.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

I honestly doubt that he saw a walkthrough for those first three things, also the quizzes were always bullshit

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By bacongames

That was part of the charm. It was either that or them getting lost and running around longer than they needed to.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I didn't even know they used a walkthrough. Did they mention that at some point? I haven't watched all of them.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Vinny tattoos walkthroughs on his back. 
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I think Jeff intentionally tried to sound unconvincing when making those comments.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ventilaator

They were believable enough most of the time. When it came the time for the best most truest and fullest ending, it was hilarious. They "accidentally" did all the nonsensical steps required for it.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I don't buy it. I think he looked up how to get the best ending and sometimes the answers to the quizzes, but that's about it.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Master_Funk

Maybe he just has a good memory? And hes just lucky?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Jeff literally said a while ago that they weren't using FAQs/walkthroughs. I think it's in one of his blog posts

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Bass

The great thing about the playthrough is that Jeff may have been spoiled by walkthroughs, but Vinny wasn't. Instead, he had a semi-guided genuine experience with the game. Sort of base-case scenario.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chilibean_3

How long have you been waiting to post this weird, crazy rant of yours?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brendan

Hey guys, remember when people used to get all emotional about the Endurance Run? I've been trying to forget!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bybeach

Something doesn't line up. Why were they googling or doing spot check and such for say funky student's quizes? I would not have been suprised jeff consulted something, or somebody read the comments. But i do not think it was cribbing before the exam, least in a day by day nothing left to chance sense.

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By karatetron

This reminds me, I should really finish watching the Endurance Run.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grissefar

@bybeach said:

Something doesn't line up. Why were they googling or doing spot check and such for say funky student's quizes? I would not have been suprised jeff consulted something, or somebody read the comments. But i do not think it was cribbing before the exam, least in a day by day nothing left to chance sense.

I don't understand what you mean.

@Brendan: @chilibean_3: Sorry for stepping on your toes.

@Bass said:

The great thing about the playthrough is that Jeff may have been spoiled by walkthroughs, but Vinny wasn't. Instead, he had a semi-guided genuine experience with the game. Sort of base-case scenario.

Yeah, Vinny had a wonderful stumple-upon attitude towards most of it.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @TrippinBungalow:  
    That's me anytime an ED thing pops up. I've gotten like halfway through both of them.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bicycleham
    @Grissefar said:

I think it's pretty funny when Jeff uses a walkthrough

He didn't. He and Vinny read a lot of the comments where people specifically gave them details on what they should do and what they did wrong. To be honest I think it was a dick move on the users' part.
    DJRamshackle92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DJRamshackle92

Also, you guys do know there is such a thing as a spoiler-free walkthrough?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm almost certain they didn't use a walkthrough. They just read the comments of the ER episodes, which was often filled with people giving them hits.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dany

@MattyFTM said:

I'm almost certain they didn't use a walkthrough. They just read the comments of the ER episodes, which was often filled with people giving them hits.

I am sure they used a guide for school questions, funky students and most of all to get that true ending. You have to answer each set of questions that they present you perfectly to get it correct.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Don't tempt me to watch this again!

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    No Caption Provided
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dany

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

No Caption Provided

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By slantedwindows

i think it's pretty creepy when people track everything the bombsquad does, take careful, detailed notes and post them publically

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Dany

@MattyFTM said:

I am sure they used a guide for school questions, funky students and most of all to get that true ending. You have to answer each set of questions that they present you perfectly to get it correct.

I remember reading a specific comment on how to avoid the bad ending, plus the way everyone was freaking out about it, I'm sure they got tons of PMs on the matter. You don't really need a walk-through when you have thousands of viewers so eager to tell you what not to do.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Undeadpool

@528seven said:

What's more funny is how people used to get pissy with them for not playing the game like they had just read a walkthrough.

SO glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. Over half the complaints seem to have come from people who must have read a walkthrough for their first play-through. And not like how Jeff read it every now and then, but didn't take more than three steps without making sure they were the CORRECT 3 steps.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By delta_ass

I find it very difficult to believe that they got the best ending without looking at a walkthrough.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mutha3

At the start of the ER they always seemed to give props to the people who gave them hints, but I suppose they got pretty annoyed by the end of it, so they stopped mentioning it. It did lead to funny situations like Jeff telling Vinny out of the blue that maybe they should equip null-fear items.

@Delta_Ass

said:

I find it very difficult to believe that they got the best ending without looking at a walkthrough.

People were posting how to get it on EVERY single comment section after, like...ummm....episode 80 or something?

It was pretty silly of them to try and make it seem like they fumbled their way into it, though.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
    @Undeadpool said:

@528seven said:

SO glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. Over half the complaints seem to have come from people who must have read a walkthrough for their first play-through. And not like how Jeff read it every now and then, but didn't take more than three steps without making sure they were the CORRECT 3 steps.

ehhhhhh

There was some unjustified whining("OH GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU GRIND TO LEVEL 50 IN THE FIRST DUNGEON") but Jeff and Vinny sure did a lot of silly ass things in the game.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Whether they followed comments without mentioning it or followed walkthroughs without mentioning it, they did use these methods during the ER, especially for the True Ending. I can't believe people are claiming they didn't.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well considering how assholes spoiled the game for him pretty early on, I would just say fuck it and play it that way so they would shut the hell up.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    Well considering how assholes spoiled the game for him pretty early on, I would just say fuck it and play it that way so they would shut the hell up.
    Yeah, there was literally no winning for them and that's probably a big reason why they don't like doing Endurance Runs.

People get all pissy over anything, whether it be for "using walkthroughs and spoiling the game completely" or "being complete morons and jackasses for not reading up on every detail"

I'm not surprised they don't want to do another game like that again. People on the internet ruin everything.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By natetodamax

@FluxWaveZ said:

Whether they followed comments without mentioning it or followed walkthroughs without mentioning it, they did use these methods during the ER, especially for the True Ending. I can't believe people are claiming they didn't.

I'm just going off what he said in a blog.

There are a lot of things that Persona 4 does well, but I feel like it leaves too many of its systems unexplained... or at least poorly explained. Things like the way fused persona randomly inherit skills, or the actual importance of Social Links... the game just sort of mentions that stuff in ways that make them seem totally optional, but stuff like that ends up being pretty core to the experience. So when we're fumbling through parts of the game, it's because we're not sitting there with a FAQ, figuring out the exact best way to spend every day... and it's because we're spacing out our play time in such a way that we rarely remember anything for very long.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @natetodamax: That doesn't mean that he never used a FAQ. Like it was mentioned previously in this thread, he used one explicitly for a test question at one point. It brought about a few minutes of awkward silence while Jeff searched for the answer on his iPhone.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By natetodamax

@FluxWaveZ said:

@natetodamax: That doesn't mean that he never used a FAQ. Like it was mentioned previously in this thread, he used one explicitly for a test question at one point. It brought about a few minutes of awkward silence while Jeff searched for the answer on his iPhone.

I know that. I remember hearing the keyboard on his iPhone clicking.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ

A relevant post from Jeff I saw on NeoGAF: 

@MonsterDunk said: 

This isn't a terrible idea, since one of the most depressing parts about doing those Endurance Runs was having people trying to FORCE walkthroughs in front of us while we played. But since half the time we're talking about current events, recording them all ahead of time would probably be an overall negative. Besides, we're already doing that with the next batch of This Ain't No Games.

Bottom line, we're not going to be forced into doing another Endurance Run. Because if we're sitting down to do that every day out of obligation instead of actual desire to play a game in that specific, weird format, the end result is going to be two detached guys on a couch doing something they don't especially want to do. And that isn't going to be something that people will want to watch.

If the right game comes along, we'll do it. But the determination about a "right game" has to be a totally internal process. People tossing game names at us on a regular basis isn't helping anything... in fact, it sort of burned me out on the entire idea. I don't think I want to become some sort of lame full-game playthrough clearing house, where we're just shitting out these things all the time until supply meets demand and everyone moves on.
    So... yeah.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Undeadpool

@mutha3: Oh trust me, my palm became acquainted with my forehead many times, though in retrospect, I only side-stepped a lot of their silly mistakes because I'd JUST beaten P3 before going into P4 and I recognized a LOT of their mistakes as ones I'd made previously, and that's kind of what I'm talking about. This was Jeff and Vinny's first foray into this impenetrably confusing series and a TON of people were complaining about stuff that there is almost literally no way to know without either A) Luck or B) a walk-through.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By DonutFever
    @Ventilaator said: 
    They were believable enough most of the time. When it came the time for the best most truest and fullest ending, it was hilarious. They "accidentally" did all the nonsensical steps required for it.
    I think it was pretty obvious how to get that ending.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.