Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Endurance Run: Have Jeff/Vinny said if they like the game?

sofakng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sofakng

I've up to about episode 30 and it seems like Jeff/Vinny mostly make fun of the game the entire time (which is freaking hilarious) and I'm having a blast watching it but have either of them said (or posted) their real opinions about the game?  It's hard to judge if they like it or not but based on the videos I'd say they really don't like it and are just playing it to make fun...

Anyways, I'm interested to hear their thoughts (if they have been made public) :)

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

Jeff has since started playing the game solo on his own time and Vinny asked people not to post spoilers on the videos, implying he's in to the story, so I'm gonna say yes, they like the game.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Near the end of their most recent Bombcast, they clarified this question. I don't remember exactly what they said, but you should probably listen to it.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Fruitcocoa

I like the game, at least to see it. I honestly don't think that this game is that fun playing alone. 

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Steve_C

They would have stopped by now if they didn't like it. Jeff playing it in his own time says a lot too.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm sure they wouldn't be playing it if they didn't like it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

They said that if it got to a point where they didn't like playing it anymore, they would quit.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By the8bitNacho

If I remember right, they praised the narrative for doing some very unique things.  They said something about it being "super realistic and supernatural at the same time."  They also said that the combat was about on par with every other turn-based RPG, that there were some serious UI issues that they didn't like, and that Jeff had started playing it at home in his spare time.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By HazBazz

I asked them on last week's Bombcast, last question of the show (they said my name is the inspiration for Henry Hatsworth). Anyway, they like it

Soulless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Soulless

I'm pretty sure they like it.  Even I make fun of games I like as I play them with my friends, so I don't think this is any different.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By trav3ler

They enjoy it, but have some minor issues with it, namely with the UI being a little dumb.  I would assume if they reviewed it, they'd give it a 4 or a 5.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

They like it, but they have issues with it, like everyone does in some way or another. 

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah on a Bombcast Jeff said he though the game was good, and Vinny said he likes the game and loves the story

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By SoothsayerGB

They like it in the stockholm syndrome way.

Mistral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Mistral

Yeah, as everyone else said, they enjoy the game but have some issues with the UI(which is understandable...why can't you cast spells from the persona status screen? They're right there! And where's my "reroll fusion results" button?).

Making fun of a game doesn't mean that you dislike it...I love P4, but I can see that it's very silly a lot of the time(that Kanji is such a DANGEROUS REBEL! He has a skull on his shirt! And says "get bent!" Man, I'm scaring myself already!) and does have a steep learning curve for people who aren't at all familiar with the way SMT games work(especially with spell names - after playing through P3 *and* P4 I've memorized what the various stat-altering spells do, but imagine being new to the game and seeing "sukukaja", "rakukaja", and "sukunda" and trying to remember which is hit/evade, which is defense, which helps you, and which hurts your enemy).
    And of course there's a LOT about fusion that the game doesn't really tell you - what's second nature after spending what feels like a fourth of the game rerolling fusions in the velvet room is probably pretty uninuitive for a newcomer. Granted, I think more of it is explained in the options to talk to Igor/Margaret(that Vinny/Jeff never looked at), but parts of it still make little sense(you have to back out of a fusion two steps to reroll inheritence? What? Why not just once? Or have us press triangle to reroll? Oh and change up the music a little I'm sick of having heard identical Poems for Everyone's Souls for two games in a row.)

So yeah, fun game with an interesting plot, but don't pretend that there's nothing to make fun of. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.