Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Endurance Run thoughts

mgssnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mgssnake

Episode Size
    Episode Size
    Although the awesomeness of an episode is mainly determined by the comedic moments in it, size is also a factor (and by size I mean length). I guess what I'm trying to say is They should make the episodes a bit longer. I think 30 min is a nice length, although I have nothing against 45 min or more ;)
    The last one was 17. Totally not enough! I read someone suggested it was so short because they were getting ready for GDC. If that's the case or some other important stuff got in the way (like fumes or smoke in the office) then it's cool, I totally understand that. But I am hoping They'll post a couple of big ones to compensate.

There's at least one more reason to make them longer though - We assume that Jeff and Vinny have enough endurance in them to finish the game, right? I read the game can be from 60 to 75 hours, so far they have played around 12 and it took Them 1.5 months. So if You do the math it means We have at least 5 more months of Endurance Run to enjoy (and that's assuming they go at a fast enough pace). Sounds good, but do They really want to do it that long? The Run might lose popularity in the long run and maybe P4 as well.

Coming back to the length issue - if You look at the graph (which shows size, not length, but its pretty similar), You see that starting from episode 7 the average size was steadily increasing. There were longer and shorter ones, but it definitely went uphill - all the way up to episode 23 (Epic Yukiko shadow fight that lasted 55 min!). Then it kinda went downhill and has not recovered ...yet. I remember reading that a lot of good stuff lies ahead, so I can't wait. And I'm sure many Endurance Run fans feel the same way.

Episode 32: 40 min - Now that's what I was talking about! Can't wait to see this biker gang crusher. Sounds even more awesome then the Skull Cracker physical attack.

Episode Length
    Episode Length

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By ez123

Episode 23 stands out because it was so epic. Also, thanks for bringing it to my attention that you can download these. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

"60 to 70 hours."

To use internet vernacular, lolz.  I put 99 hours and change into my first playthrough.  I seriously doubt Jeff and Vinny will finish the game in under 70.

mgssnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mgssnake

@ Hailinel
    Yeah but You can't forget that there pros with a huge amount of experience and I suspect that they have more rpg knowledge than there showing (just a hunch). And even if it takes longer it's a good thing cause the Run will last longer.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGremp
    mgssnake said:
    "@ HailinelYeah but You can't forget that there pros with a huge amount of experience and I suspect that they have more rpg knowledge than there showing (just a hunch). And even if it takes longer it's a good thing cause the Run will last longer."
    I wouldn't call them pros.  Jeff and Vinny have an amazing knowledge of games, but  wouldn't say that they were pro level.  They could probably beat the average gamer at most games though.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember Jeff saying that he isn't too big on JRPGs.

By the way nice charts...  I was wondering how long the videos were total, and was too lazy to check for myself. lol
    Avatar image for thegreenbastard
    TheGreenBastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreenBastard

Wow, good effort mgssnake :D
    It's really interesting.

I've actually purchased the game because of the endurance run. They made it look so damn fun. After buying it, I've never looked back. It's a good game. I kept remembering hilarious moments of the endurance run going through my head as I played through those early parts of the game (which is kinda creepy the more I think about it) but, after having played quite far, I can see it getting a WHOLE lot more funny as the endurance run continues.

I really doubt they'll play through the entire game (though that would be pants-explodingly awesome (seriously)) as they seem to be taking the game really, really casually. Which is fine, 'cause that way the videos end up more hilarious than they should be.
    But, it is an endurance run so... I guess they should keep going until their brains decide to bail on them after having received so much crazy from Persona 4.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red
    Hailinel said:
    ""60 to 70 hours."To use internet vernacular, lolz.  I put 99 hours and change into my first playthrough.  I seriously doubt Jeff and Vinny will finish the game in under 70."
    I beat the game today, my time was 61 hours, but including reset time it's around 65-70. I didn't grind.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

Red, did you get the true ending, or did you stop at the normal ending?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By papercut

I think you need to take into account that these guys are playing it on work time. I'd say on average they might play P4 one and a half to two hours a week. if they increased the video length that's time they are NOT doing other things on the site. Don't get me wrong, i love Endurance run (almost as much as i Loooove them balls) but they did say in the beginning that they would try to play it in 15 minute increments. I feel like they do a pretty good job of pacing themselves and that there will always be super long episodes, like yukiko's shadow fight, when it is necessary.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I don't know why people purposely put up spoilers on the comments, like spoiling the identity of the killer. That is one of the biggest spoilers in the entire game, and just because you glanced over it for one second, the game is practically ruined.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Daroki

The few times I've posted about it, I've tried to make it clear that I'll post information that will make things easier, or that they may miss, but nothing that they're going to have to see eventually.  

On a side note: NOTHING is worse than watching the Endurance Run on a PSP though, I keep wanting to hit the buttons to speed through the menu.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.