How do you think the anime will stack up?

• 78 results
#1 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

When I watched the trailer for P4:A (which seems to be the common shorthand for it), two thing popped into my head.

1. How will the English voice acting be? Will they get the games voice actors (lets hope) or will they not even dub it over at all?
  2. Persona 4's story is based on the player interaction with each of the cast member, forging a different story and different feel for each player. How ill they incorporate this into 1 coherent story line

Those are the two main things that I came across Me when I watched the trailer this morning. I was wondering what your thoughts and concerns are for the future of P4:A or whatever you want to call it.
#2 Posted by Akrid (1346 posts) -

Oh, so that actually happened? That's cool.

#3 Posted by Bigheart711 (1250 posts) -

Pretty excited about it, but I don't want to think of the English dub right now. Hopefully it would be MUCH better than Persona -Trinity Soul-. I can't make heads or tails about Question #2 either.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

As much as I love Persona 4 I am cautious about the anime. I hope it's great, time will tell.
#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4851 posts) -

There is a manga and it writes its own version of the events of P4 without player interaction.

#6 Posted by FlyingRat (1445 posts) -

Would someone be so kind as to give me a link to this trailer? I can't seem to find it.

#7 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2041 posts) -

I'd rather wait and find out than speculate.

#8 Posted by Lykos (66 posts) -
@FlyingRat:   
This is the trailer he's talking about:

#9 Posted by Popogeejo (572 posts) -

It wouldn't be hard to incorporate most of the S-links though I could see them dropping the tangential ones like the nurse, old lady, young mother and such just for the sake of brevity.

As for voice acting? Who knows but it shouldn't be terrible hard to get the VA's back assuming it gets picked up for dubbing.
#10 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

I thought I heard most of the English voice cast was onboard for this, but maybe I'm imagining things.  Anyways, if it's anything like the anime cutscenes of the game, it could be pretty good.

#11 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

Better than Trinity Soul. Not as good as Persona 4 the game. 4-5 hours of the show can't top the hundreds of hours invested with the team in the game. I just hope the show paces itself well. Not trying to fit in too much s-link stuff with main story stuff, finding a perfect balance or even working those s-link events into the main story as well.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Anime is for jerks.

#13 Posted by goudaj (76 posts) -

Getting the English voice actors/actresses from the game shouldn't be a problem, considering they're all veteran anime dubbers. Whoever ends up handling the localization would be dumb not to.

#14 Posted by TepidShark (1044 posts) -

Weird it is a straight adaption wasn't the P3 one a sequel?

#15 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

probably take the route the manga is going 

will take a long time for them to dub it might as well watch it when it comes out
#16 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Anime is for jerks. "
#17 Posted by Wes899 (2102 posts) -
@TepidShark said:
" Weird it is a straight adaption wasn't the P3 one a sequel? "
It looks to be an adaptation.
#18 Posted by Beforet (2884 posts) -

If the MC isn't called Charlie in the Dub I am walking!

#19 Posted by JeanLuc (3518 posts) -

I want Jeff and Vinny to watch a episode and do commentary for it.

Thats right its the Persona 4: Animation Endurance Run!
#20 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

Who is Charlie going to pick for his girlfriend in the series? I say Chie.  

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9737 posts) -
@wasteguru said:
" I want Jeff and Vinny to watch a episode and do commentary for it.
Thats right its the Persona 4: Animation Endurance Run!
"
I think you're joking, but I'm also pretty sure there would be legal reasons as to why they couldn't do that (along the same reasons why when Screened live streams stuff, they don't actually show what they are watching). So maybe one episode, but even that seems dumb. 
#22 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

I didn't even know this was happening. This may actually be the first anime I ever watch completely through.

#23 Posted by JeanLuc (3518 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan: Yes I was joking, but you are right about the legal reasons. Plus to be honest it wouldn't be the same. Half the fun was watching them play the game at their own pace.
I could see them watching one episode and then do an "after-thoughts" video for Anime Vice or something though.
#24 Posted by TooWalrus (12972 posts) -

I've got little to no interest in this anime. If they get the voice actors from the game, I'll definitely watch it, but for ironic reasons- I'll expect it to be funny because of how Japanese it is- much like the game. I don't have much interest in the actual story, high school kids, magic TVs, giant teddie bear, investigation team, whatev's.

#25 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

I'll watch it. I have a feeling that Charlie will not end up with any girl in this adaptation.

#26 Posted by TepidShark (1044 posts) -
@Wes899:  I meant wasn't the P3 anime a sequel? If that is the case then it is weird the P4 anime is not a sequel and just an adaption.
#27 Posted by gamer1313 (21 posts) -
@TepidShark: Trinity Soul was a sequel but it's like 10 years after P3. Though it was kinda boring...they may have decided to make an adaptation because of the success P4 got.

About the voice acting, just wanna say that I prefer Japanese voice acting over English if it's in an anime. Plus the cast they got are kinda big leaguers 
#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19153 posts) -

I wasn't aware there was going to be an English dub.

#29 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Cautiously optimistic. Hopefully it'll end up better than Trinity Soul, which was only tangentially related at all to P3.

#30 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1760 posts) -

First of all who knows if it will even be licensed in America.

At this point I am completely unsure of what it will be. It can be multiple seasons and true to the game or it could be total garbage like Trinity Soul.
Regardless I will be torrenting the fansubs on day one.
#31 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I was excited at first when somebody said SHAFT was animating it, but I'm not as sure anymore.

AIC A.S.T.A. is a decent studio, but they haven't produced anything especially great. Bamboo Blade was fun, I guess, but that's all that really comes to mind. The guy who directed Angel Beats is behind this too, so I can't imagine things can go too bad. 
#32 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

I'm anticipating something ranging between absolutely terrible and passably good. If there is a US dub (which may or may not be the case), it should have all the voice actors since they're all anime voice actors anyways and it always weirds me out when they change VAs for any show.

#33 Posted by LordAndrew (13972 posts) -

I'm not going to hold my breath for an English localization. The series itself will likely be passable, better than Trinity Soul at least. I mean, it's not like it could get much worse.

#34 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

Ok Giant Bomb. We have to coordinate like never before. We have to do what it takes to get them to dub Charlie Tunoku as his name in the english version. 

#35 Posted by Lucien_Lachance (207 posts) -

So is this thing going to be multiple seasons? Cause if it's going to try to condense the story of Persona 4 into 27 episodes, they've already lost. It's possible to do so, yes, but it would have to be at the expense of things like Fox, summer camp, the school trip, the cross-dressing scene, etc, AKA: the good stuff.
@beej said:

" Ok Giant Bomb. We have to coordinate like never before. We have to do what it takes to get them to dub Charlie Tunoku as his name in the english version.  "

The only answer is to do a fandub where we use the name Charlie Tunoku, and make it Endurance Run-specific, e.g. making references to Charlie's drug stash under his bed, making some of Vinny/Jeff's riffs into his internal monologue, etc. Who's game?
#36 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@Lucien_Lachance: If it's the only way, then it has to be done. 
#37 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" The series itself will likely be passable, better than Trinity Soul at least. "
That's not saying very much.

I think the animation in the footage, at least, seemed to be pretty spot on.
#38 Posted by Pepsiman (2449 posts) -

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. If nothing else, since Meguro is on board for the music, it should hopefully be at least worth listening to. His presence and that of a few other key staff members also seems to indicate that Atlus is pretty keen on actually overseeing the production of this one, so like many people, I'm hoping that will prevent it from turning into another Trinity Soul. You don't send a guy like Meguro over, who's also becoming a producer for the series in the general, without being pretty serious about the endeavor, I imagine.

Hopefully the next footage that they're supposed to show on The Midnight Channel in a few days will give us a better glimpse of the animation in store. I liked what I saw today, but it's too sparse to really come to definitive conclusions one way or the other.

#39 Posted by Gerhabio (1969 posts) -
@Beforet said:
" If the MC isn't called Charlie in the Dub I am walking! "
In all seriousness, though, I will watch this.
@RE_Player92:  Hopefully!
#40 Posted by dagas (2711 posts) -

If it's the same story told in anime form then I'm not very interested, but if it will tells something new then I'm on board.

#41 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Is this going to be episodic or more like a film?

#42 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

I dunno, if it's just going to rehash the story of Persona 4, but in a somewhat watered-down manner, I can't say I'm that interested. That game's narrative depth came from the story that existed tangentially to the main plot. I don't think this anime is going to capture that.

#43 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -

I'm only mildly interested. I find it kind of hard to imagine that the anime could capture the same feeling playing the game for yourself evokes. And the early character art is not very promising, though it's too early to say what the final product will look like.

#44 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I had no clue there is going to be an anime. Pretty excited to see it. As I enjoyed the Persona games.
#45 Edited by IchiroYagiza (442 posts) -
@wasteguru said:

" I want Jeff and Vinny to watch a episode and do commentary for it. Thats right its the Persona 4: Animation Endurance Run!
"

I second that

As long its follow the story line and the voice acting is ok, then i'm watching. 
#46 Posted by Weltal (2268 posts) -

So, is this following the story of the game or like a before/afterwords sort of deal?

I only ask because the main dude's name is different then the manga's main dude.

#47 Posted by metalsnakezero (2269 posts) -

I say the best thing for them to do is have social linking events as filler episodes and have like 3 or 4 episodes for the main plot.

#48 Posted by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
@Pepsiman said:
" I'm cautiously optimistic about it. If nothing else, since Meguro is on board for the music, it should hopefully be at least worth listening to. His presence and that of a few other key staff members also seems to indicate that Atlus is pretty keen on actually overseeing the production of this one, so like many people, I'm hoping that will prevent it from turning into another Trinity Soul. You don't send a guy like Meguro over, who's also becoming a producer for the series in the general, without being pretty serious about the endeavor, I imagine.

Hopefully the next footage that they're supposed to show on The Midnight Channel in a few days will give us a better glimpse of the animation in store. I liked what I saw today, but it's too sparse to really come to definitive conclusions one way or the other. "
This is pretty much what I think. I will just add "art looks bad, hope it was an animation decision.'" for myself.
#49 Posted by LordAndrew (13972 posts) -
@Weltal said:
" So, is this following the story of the game or like a before/afterwords sort of deal?I only ask because the main dude's name is different then the manga's main dude. "
I assume it's going to most follow the same events as the game, but we haven't really seen enough to know for sure.
#50 Posted by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" I'll expect it to be funny because of how Japanese it is-
Whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.