How easy is the easy mode?

#1 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I ask this because my mom has never played an RPG before, but is willing to try. I understand maybe Persona is a little too far in the JRPG realm for her to handle, but when I was telling her about the game she was especially interested in the whole S. Link stuff and how you interact with the people in the game. So, do you think the easy mode will be fine for somebody who has never played an RPG before, or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

From what I gather, the combat will be far easier but she'll still need to grasp the basic mechanics of it (mainly identifying and exploiting the enemies' weak points) if she wants to get anywhere.

#3 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -

You also get 10 free revives after you die in battles. It might be a bit rough for a first-timer, but if you guide her through it she'll probably be fine.

#4 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -

i know Persona 4 easy is a lot easier than persona 3 easy, persona 3 easy wrecked me XD I got into persona 4 easy and thought it was too easy, so, that has to be a good thing for you mom being a first time RPG player, I hope she likes it!

#5 Posted by endaround (2140 posts) -

If you want to warm her up, try Costume Quest first.

#6 Posted by Rapid (1352 posts) -

make her watch the endurance run, and she'll will hopefully learn to properly cast bufu

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I haven't played P4 on easy, but in P3P's easy mode I pretty much played the whole game with rush mode on. I heard it's the same as normal difficulty except you get the free revives but I don't know, I thought it was riddicolously easy.

#8 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

My mom's first and last RPG was Final Fantasy IV on the SNES. She got about half an hour in and decided turn-based combat was boring as hell, and that was that.

#9 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

If she cares more about the story/s. links, easy would be ok I think. You don't want to discourage her if it's her 1st RPG.

#10 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

That seems like an awfully time-consuming, patience-testing challenge for a person who has never touched an RPG and is a mother. Good luck.

But if she's up for it, she might even handle Normal easily. Jeff and Vinny did it, and them and your mother are probably around the same skill level :P

#11 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Grissefar: But she wouldn't have the unrelenting barrage of advice the Giant Bomb community gave Jeff and Vinny.
#12 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@FrankCanada97:  But maybe she would have something Vinny and Jeff didn't have: common sense. They were terrible even considering the facts that they had to be entertaining and were trying to playing straight forward without too much help or thought, and eagerly forgetting important facts that they surely knew.

Jeff: "Hey Vinny. Let's grind this old dungeon for a couple of hours. We really need the XP. I don't care about the fact that the other dungeon rewards 10 times the amount of XP and money, and is equally easy. While we're at it, let's NOT quickly fuse our useless personas, let's instead throw them away every time we get a new one and spend whole episodes inside the velvet room."

Sorry, P4 ER rant is over. It was a little off topic.
#13 Posted by endaround (2140 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" I haven't played P4 on easy, but in P3P's easy mode I pretty much played the whole game with rush mode on. I heard it's the same as normal difficulty except you get the free revives but I don't know, I thought it was riddicolously easy. "
P3P reworked the difficulty settings.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.