Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

I don't understand the WRPG vs JRPG war...(Somewhat related)

MiserableGerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MiserableGerm

Sure Persona 4 is the epitome of JRPG, but at least it cuts out of the mold of the usual. And its not like Western RPG's have their share of flaws. I'm kinda tired of hearing both sides bringing each other down.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoG

I'm tired of the argument as well. It seems that JRPG and WRPG are almost becoming their own genres.

I do think however, you're wrong when you claim that Persona 4 is the "epitome of JRPG"
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Computerplayer1
    BoG said:
    "I'm tired of the argument as well. It seems that JRPG and WRPG are almost becoming their own genres.
    I do think however, you're wrong when you claim that Persona 4 is the "epitome of JRPG"
    "
    I would probably go so far as to say they have already become their own genres. JRPGs have remained so similar for so long that the conventions used to make them have basically given them a reason to be labeled their own genre. Western RPGs have grown considerably more than the JRPGs, and considering how drastically different WRPGs are from JRPGs, it's probably safe to say they'be divided the RPG genre in two.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By endaround

Its basically an outgrowth of console vs PC since most WRPGs and developers started on the PC side where JRPGs were mostly console based.  When Bioware esentially simplified (or "dumb-downed") BG2/ToB to get KOTOR things just got all thrown together.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By atejas

RPGs are RPGs.

And then you've got games that blur the line, like STALKER.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus
    BoG said:
    "I do think however, you're wrong when you claim that Persona 4 is the "epitome of JRPG""
    I don't know man, it's pretty damn Japanese. If I wanted the ultimate stupid Japanese game experience, what would you suggest?
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By subject2change

People like what they like as everyone has their own opinion. Personally I haven't given WRPGs a big enough chance but do plan to give Fallout 3 another go eventually and if I find that i can tolerate it a bit may give something else a chance most likely Mass Effect. Not everyone has to like the same genre of game you like or the same IPs. Just ignore the posts everyone has opinions just like everyone has an asshole.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Yes, Persona 4 is hella Japanese, but it still manages to be one of the most unique JRPGs I've played.

Donkeysraliens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Donkeysraliens

TooWalrus said:

"BoG said:
    "I do think however, you're wrong when you claim that Persona 4 is the "epitome of JRPG""
    I don't know man, it's pretty damn Japanese. If I wanted the ultimate stupid Japanese experience, what would you suggest?"

the ultimate stupid Japanese experience hu? how about...errr....any Japanese game show ever?
    also, although theres no denying persona's japaneseness, their are 2 words that say otherwise: "fo sho" 

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By endaround

Persona 4 is incredibly Japanese but its far from the standard JRPG that you can get.  FFX is the epitome of JRPGs

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    atejas said:
    "RPGs are RPGs.And then you've got games that blur the line, like STALKER."
    Yup
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria

There's a war?

Must be a 'fanboy' war.

Which already invalidates any opinion on this 'war' of yours.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
    atejas said:
    "RPGs are RPGs."
    So why should it be, that Japanese and Westerners can not agree? DUM DUM DUM

Somebody, please, find this at least smirkworthy. Or at least acknowledge what i'm getting at.
    cygnus_x89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By cygnus_x89

It is true that WRPGs and JRPGs are what they are, RPGs, but I believe they don't offer the same experience of an RPG. If I sit down and play Neverwinter Nights or Persona 4, it is so obvious how different they are. However, there will be those people that have "strong" opinions on both sides that don't accept the coexistance.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ChrisTaran

What war?  Why can't one enjoy both? Pretty silly stuff.

Oh, and Persona 4 is the best game ever made, not just RPG.  Let's not get crazy here folks. Keep things in perspective!

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By babblinmule
    endaround said:
    "Persona 4 is incredibly Japanese but its far from the standard JRPG that you can get.  FFX is the epitome of JRPGs"

I agree with this, although P4 is a close second.

And like alot of people here have said; cant we all just get along?
    MiserableGerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiserableGerm

BTW, how is that Blood Alone manga CT?

And yeah, maybe I shouldn't emphasized so much about P4 being the 'epitome' of it all.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ChrisTaran
    MiserableGerm said:
    "BTW, how is that Blood Alone manga CT?"
    Love the manga.  First 4 volumes were released, but isn't looking good for the 5th coming out anytime soon (Haven't even had luck finding vol 5 online even though it's supposedly been released in Japan).  But I do indeed highly recommend it.  Very sweet story and I'm a big fan of the art.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By vidiot

It's an issue that has been brewing for a long time. The detractors against JRPG's have been around for a while, but it hasn't been until recently that they have become obnoxiously vocal, discrediting years of history and making phenomenal absolute statements claiming that all JRPG's are not RPG's because there is no freedom of choice. As if PC RPG's have had massive freedom of choice since day one.

It should be reminded that when KOTOR made a big splash on the Xbox one of the major critical compliments was the games ability to incoperate a combination of what was considered at the time console RPG athestics and western RPG mechanics into a product of it's own. I don't think that WRPG's would have been as successful today if it wasnt for JRPG's.

The problem that I see regarding JRPG's today is broader problem regarding the state of Japanese game development in general: An inability to take risks, and branch out and try something new. (Something that we of course can't relate too at all....Right?....) But there is hope, as we see games such as Lost Odyssey and even Tales of Vesperia take traditional storylines of amnesia victims and fantasy empires and mix them up considerably. We also don't consider the fact, during all of our internet bickering that for Japanese gamers linear storylines are generally more in favor versus chose-your-own-adventure affairs.

The Megami Tensi series has strong connections to older WRPG's as all long running JRPG series do. The first two Persona's had first person dungon crawling for crying out loud. The best thing about Persona is that it shows risk taking, and an ability to show that certain WRPG mechanics can coexsist quite nicely with traditional JRPG gameplay.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

i can't stand JRPGS

i can stand WRPGS slitghtly more

Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Intrepid

Yeahh, I dunno why people like arguing these things, trying to fit them as one being better than the other.  As a gamer, I've loved both JRPG's and WRPG's, and I've hated selections of both genre's.  When we start dismissing these games based on their J or W camps instead of the merits of what makes them fun or not fun really highlights gaming ignorance.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By FrankCanada97

I was never aware that there were such a distinction between the two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.