Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

I'm about to start playing, needed some help

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

My buddy and I are about to start playing the game together, Vinny and Jeff style. I haven't really seen much of the Endurance Run, but I herd the game was kinda tough. Is their an easy difficulty I should put it on or any beginners tips you guys have? 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

Read ANY Other thread on this

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @EpicSteve said:
    " My buddy and I are about to start playing the game together, Vinny and Jeff style. I haven't really seen much of the Endurance Run, but I herd the game was kinda tough. Is their an easy difficulty I should put it on or any beginners tips you guys have?  "
    I played on easy just because I wanted to see the story and not get my ass kicked.
    Vinny and Jeff are playing on normal so you can use that as a point of reference.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4  Edited By the8bitNacho

The only real difference between Easy and Normal difficulty is that you're given 10 "Continues" for if your main character bites it.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

By continues he means that when the main character dies, he automatically gets revived to full health.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By lemon360

yeah i started playing on normal, made progress but got my ass handed in an early dungeon (maybe even 1st one) got physically sick and haven't gotten around to continuing ever since. gonna play it soon. some time this week.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " By continues he means that when the main character dies, he automatically gets revived to full health. "
    So if you die 10 times you just go back to your last save? Are the 10 continues given back in full when you go to a new "area"?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @EpicSteve said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    " By continues he means that when the main character dies, he automatically gets revived to full health. "
    So if you die 10 times you just go back to your last save? Are the 10 continues given back in full when you go to a new "area"?
    "
    Sorry misread it, yes if the 10 continues are up, you go back to your previous save. No, the 10 are for the entire game.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

Use 'em wisely, because they come in extremely limited supply.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround

The continues are best not used for boss fights since you likely saved eight before anyway.  They are bast used for saving a few hours of dungeon climbing

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Daroki
    @EpicSteve said:
    "My buddy and I are about to start playing the game together, Vinny and Jeff style. I haven't really seen much of the Endurance Run, but I herd the game was kinda tough. Is their an easy difficulty I should put it on or any beginners tips you guys have?  "

Beginners tips?  I'll compile some since Friday I'm picking up a copy of the game so I can play through it again (I hate that I had to sell it):

Try to keep your TV runs to as few days as possible, and try to make sure it's raining when you do. 

Don't be afraid to use SP items, especially early in the game, every time I've finished Persona 3 and 4 I've had a crazy amount of SP restoring items, and in Persona 4, those are things that I could have been using to gain days to social link. 

Finish dungeons as early as possible to open up SLs that won't show up when a dungeon is active (your party members and Dojima don't want to hang as often when there's someone in the TV).  

Use Fox once he's available, you're buying time you can use to social link.  As painful as giving him a lot of your yen is, you're buying time, and time is priceless.

Raise Fox's SL immediately to stop the financial pain.  

Fuse everything you can and keep the compendium stocked so at later levels you have a nice discount pulling out Personas. 

Reroll to push forward skills that are useful into Personas as you're gaining levels.

Don't be afraid at times to pull low level Personas out of your compendium when you're at a higher level.  XP gain is calculated for each character and your Persona against the level of your enemy, so while you might get 300XP in a fight, your level 2 Pixie gains 3000XP, gains 4 levels, and adds more spells to her arsenal.  You can use this to get a full stock of spells and have more flexibilty in pushing useful ones forward.  The more spells the Persona you're fusing have, the more spells the resulting fusion inherits.  This also helps when doing Margaret's Social Links to have the skills she's requiring on Personas that you can fuse into what she's asking for. 

If you're doing Margaret's Social Link, once you create that Persona with what she wants, register it and DO NOT TOUCH.  If you want a second playthrough, you'll have all of those characters at the ready and can do her link with great speed once you do it once.

Growth is good.  Having multiple Personas in the background with Growth leads to them picking up more spells and opening up more inheritance slots in Personas made from fusing them.  Invigorate is also good, and when Cool Breeze becomes available, it's a great spell to have on any Persona you use heavily.
    gamerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By gamerover
    @EpicSteve said:
    " My buddy and I are about to start playing the game together, Vinny and Jeff style. I haven't really seen much of the Endurance Run, but I herd the game was kinda tough. Is their an easy difficulty I should put it on or any beginners tips you guys have?  "
    I know this is a cop-out answer, but just watch some more of the Endurance Run since its a walkthough of sorts.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust
    Daroki said:
    Use Fox once he's available, you're buying time you can use to social link.  As painful as giving him a lot of your yen is, you're buying time, and time is priceless.
    I agree with this suggestion a lot.  It's harder to grind in this game than in Persona 3, but it's still necessary if you plan to have an easier go at the bosses.  They will kick your ass if you and you team can't take a punch.  Also stock up on TaP soda from the vending machine on the southern shopping district.  You can get 5 cans per week.  The pop replenishes 10 SP.

Also, I found these sites helpful if you need a hand or a question answered.

http://persona4.wikidot.com/start
    http://persona4.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_4_Wiki
    http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Wiki

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By ChickenPants

Two best pieces of advice I have is : Analysis will be your best friend.
                                                                      Make sure,especially in tougher dungeons, that you don't let the enemy hit you and get advantage at the start of the fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.