is it possible to max out all social links on 1 playthrough

#1 Posted by mrfluke (5310 posts) -

because yeh im gonna break and buy this game and i want to get the 70-100 hours out of it 

#2 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

It's possible, but not recommended for an initial playthrough. The schedule's not as tight as in Persona 3, but you still have to be very careful. Just enjoy the game at your own pace. You can then focus on maxing out all the Social Links in a second playthrough.

#3 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

I think that you can do it in the second run of the game, since you need to have a high level of courage, diligent, Knowledge, understanding and expression.

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5310 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"It's possible, but not recommended for an initial playthrough. The schedule's not as tight as in Persona 3, but you still have to be very careful. Just enjoy the game at your own pace. You can then focus on maxing out all the Social Links in a second playthrough."
why isnt it not recommened? because honestly for me i not a big jrpg man but the endurance run sold me on this game and i primarily want to do the story stuff mostly and interact with these crazy  characters

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

If you're going to max all your Social Links in one run you'll probably be following a guide, or researching the game's mechanics and carefully planning everything yourself. Doing that takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the game.

#6 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Because it requires following a FAQ to the letter.  Basically you need the knowledge of who is avaiable when and if they become unaviable before hand.  And you have to play out each day based on that.  And be ready to reload if you don't get the right fish on the day you have to fish etc.

#7 Posted by mrfluke (5310 posts) -

ah i get it now thanks

im curious who do i establish the empress and the emperor social link 
curious abou the empress since i can level up senri a lot more if i establish that quicker 
and the emperor because i wanna get king frost stronger easier when i get him 
#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Margaret is the Empress, and Kanji is the Emperor.

#9 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

For Margaret you need a knowledge of at least 3.  They did try talking to Margaret during the Endurance Run if you remember and she said to come back when you know more or something similar because they still have their knowledge at level 2.

#10 Posted by mrfluke (5310 posts) -

endaround and lord andrew on top of things 

thanks for answering my questions this was all pregame stuff  i wanted to know because im getting my copy on thursday 
so yeh thanks
#11 Posted by trav3ler (168 posts) -

Honestly, I don't think it's all that required.  When you start New Game+ you get to keep the max social link items (which allow you to fuse the ultimate Personas), so I personally am not invested enough to follow an FAQ verbatim just to say I maxed out every link.

Although I think Margaret does give you some item if you hit 50 or 100% maxed, so if you really want that, go for it.
#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"It's possible, but not recommended for an initial playthrough. The schedule's not as tight as in Persona 3, but you still have to be very careful. Just enjoy the game at your own pace. You can then focus on maxing out all the Social Links in a second playthrough."
Does it save all you stats on the second playthrough?
#13 Posted by trav3ler (168 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"LordAndrew said:
Does it save all you stats on the second playthrough?"
It saves stats, personas, maxed SLink items, and a couple other things which I can't recall right now.
#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -
trav3ler said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"LordAndrew said:
Does it save all you stats on the second playthrough?"
It saves stats, personas, maxed SLink items, and a couple other things which I can't recall right now."
Oh sweet.
#15 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -
mrfluke said:
"ah i get it now thanks

curious abou the empress since i can level up senri a lot more if i establish that quicker 
"
"leveling up" a persona is, for the most part, useless. it's much easier to fuse to get a higher ranked persona, than to level any of them up. I didn't use senri at all after I beat Yukiko's Shadow. He really just has that single purpose in my opinion.
#16 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -
Bass said:
"mrfluke said:
"ah i get it now thanks

"
"leveling up" a persona is, for the most part, useless. it's much easier to fuse to get a higher ranked persona, than to level any of them up. I didn't use senri at all after I beat Yukiko's Shadow. He really just has that single purpose in my opinion. "
But Izanagi still looks the most badass... I want him to be strong.
#17 Posted by papercut (3525 posts) -

So when you start new game+, what travels over?

#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -
papercut said:
"So when you start new game+, what travels over?"
Everything I suppose. Persona's, stats, social link levels.
#19 Posted by papercut (3525 posts) -

i don't know about social links though, that seems kinda weird to me. but i really wana know.

#20 Posted by GiantDragoon (37 posts) -

max link items, stats(knowledge, courage, etc) and compendium.

#21 Posted by lishi (86 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"papercut said:
"So when you start new game+, what travels over?"
Everything I suppose. Persona's, stats, social link levels."
social link level restart at 0
#22 Edited by legendary1 (233 posts) -

It isn't THAT hard to max all social links in the first playthrough. P3 was much different, you literally had to follow a guide to the letter with like 1 day of leeway at the end, but for P4 you could be behind by 3 or 4 weeks and still get them all. Even so, unlike P3 again there isn't any real benefit to maxing all social links that I know of outside of slightly weaker persona's of a certain type, so there isn't any drawback to just missing the last few levels of some of the more boring Slinks (looking at you hanged man).

Money, registered personas (levels, stats and skills), social stats, # of persona slots (IE you don't have the crappy 6 persona limit again), maxed Slink items (allow you to fuse certain powerful persona's) are what transfer. You also can fight the reaper, and if you got the best ending you can fight the super boss and get the izanagi okami persona. Notable things that do NOT transfer to the second playthrough are your character's level and your inventory.

#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"Bass said:
"mrfluke said:
"ah i get it now thanks

and the emperor because i wanna get king frost stronger easier when i get him"
"leveling up" a persona is, for the most part, useless. it's much easier to fuse to get a higher ranked persona, than to level any of them up. I didn't use senri at all after I beat Yukiko's Shadow. He really just has that single purpose in my opinion. "
But Izanagi still looks the most badass... I want him to be strong."
Fuse a new one then. But don't bother with your original Izanagi.
#24 Posted by cmcali16 (52 posts) -

what are the max link items? like the levels or what?

#25 Posted by byterunner (314 posts) -

yeah, but its a pretty tight schedule

here is one

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/945498-shin-megami-tensei-persona-4/faqs/55038

#26 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

You will easily get 70 hours out of this game, even if you dont do side quests. My total clock time for my first play through was 105 hours roughly.

#27 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (762 posts) -

Trying to max every single Social Link is a good way to kill your enjoyment of the game. Especially if you're using a guide.

Maybe it's just me but I don't find it very fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.