Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

is Persona 4 good for RPG beginners?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By bed
    edit: i ordered Persona 3 & 4 through Amazon. thank you all for the help! there's no need to respond now. 

i'm thinking about getting Persona 4, but as someone who doesn't have much experience with JRPGS (Disgaea & Valkyria Chronicles) i'm kind of worried that it'll be a bit too difficult or that i'll have a hard time keeping up with the game mechanics and all that. i'll add that i haven't finished a Disgaea game or Valkyria Chronicles yet.

so what i'm asking is: is persona 4 good for those who aren't too into the RPG genre? i'm hoping to have a good time with it after a while of not find it anywhere. is there some sort of helpful tutorial? what about Persona 3?  

thank you! 
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By apathylad

Persona 4 has an easy difficulty setting, but I haven't touched that game in years, or ever tried that setting.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

I'm going to say yes. Its exploration element is very linear, so it's impossible to get lost or forget what you're supposed to be doing. The combat is also easy to learn but does get pretty difficult later. But it's difficult in a way that requires understanding the system, not just grinding for hours. The only thing I can imagine scaring off a newbie is the first boss. After getting past that hump, the game becomes much more manageable.

With my minimal experience with Disgaea, I think Persona 4 is more beginner friendly.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

Remember to heal when health is low and you'll be okay.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You can play it on the easy difficulty if you're scared of dying. Although I don't understand your concern about being new to the genre as the game, much like many modern games, explains its mechanics well enough for you not to be disoriented or confused.

Typographenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Typographenia

I'm awful when it comes to RPGs. I just finished playing this about a week or two ago, and I absolutely loved it.

Easy was still a bit difficult for me at times, but the setting, characters, music, and more structured experience made it work for me. It's insanely fun, and I'm not a fan of JRPGs, typically. I say give it a shot.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By landon

@Beforet said:

I'm going to say yes. Its exploration element is very linear, so it's impossible to get lost or forget what you're supposed to be doing. The combat is also easy to learn but does get pretty difficult later. The only thing I can imagine scaring off a newbie is the first boss. After getting past that hump, the game becomes much more manageable.

Pretty much this. Even the weird names they give the dozens of spells (zio, agi, garu, bufu) the game always has an info button to remind you what exactly everything is, and a few hours in you will have memorized all of that.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benjaebe

I would say so yeah. Probably the toughest thing about it is getting the hang of the fusing personas. The combat is pretty simple all considering, since a lot of it is just finding what enemies are weak to and using those spells.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I suppose it's not a bad place to start, you just have to be willing to put in a lot of time.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bed
    @Apathylad: easy mode sounds good! i don't mind starting from there.   
    @Beforet: gotcha. i thought Disgaea was pretty easy to handle so that's good to hear.  
    @Typographenia: glad to hear that! thank you!  
    @FluxWaveZ: RPGs kinda intimidate me. so many different systems and parts to keep track of. i'm always afraid that i'll have no idea what's going on.  
    @Doctorchimp: *jots down notes*   

thanks for answering so quickly, guys! now, i just need to know if Persona 3 is as user-friendly.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@AjayRaz: Persona 4 I would say yes if you have the patience. Now Persona 3..... it can be a bit... punishing. I got 1-Hit killed or just completely and surprisingly wiped out by enemies multiple times. I know it has happened to others so I would advise that you not go a long time without saving and taking a break in the dungeon area in 3. ( The dungeon area is also incredibly boring aesthetically and in the layout, Persona 4 at least goes for a bit of variety) Whichever you play I would just say all you really need is patience, because they contain a hell of a lot of story and they take their time explaining everything.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By landon

@AjayRaz said:

@Apathylad: easy mode sounds good! i don't mind starting from there.
    @Beforet: gotcha. i thought Disgaea was pretty easy to handle so that's good to hear.
    @Typographenia: glad to hear that! thank you!
    @FluxWaveZ: RPGs kinda intimidate me. so many different systems and parts to keep track of. i'm always afraid that i'll have no idea what's going on.
    @Doctorchimp: *jots down notes* thanks for answering so quickly, guys! now, i just need to know if Persona 3 is as user-friendly.

Persona 3 is my introduction to Persona, I can tell you with full confidence that it's just as user-friendly.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Landon said:

Persona 3 is my introduction to Persona, I can tell you with full confidence that it's just as user-friendly.

Not really. In Persona 3 FES, it never told you what the skills did in battle. So if you were wondering what casting "Sukukaja" would do in battle, there would be no way of knowing it. In Persona 4, at least you could press a button to verify a spell's effects.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd recommend it, but I haven't played it. (I'd recommend it based on the anime, in case you're wondering.)

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By natetodamax

Persona 4 is a pretty easy game to understand. The concepts and mechanics within aren't so complicated that you would have to spend hours just trying to figure them out.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooty

@Resident4t said:

@AjayRaz: Persona 4 I would say yes if you have the patience. Now Persona 3..... it can be a bit... punishing. I got 1-Hit killed or just completely and surprisingly wiped out by enemies multiple times. I know it has happened to others so I would advise that you not go a long time without saving and taking a break in the dungeon area in 3. ( The dungeon area is also incredibly boring aesthetically and in the layout, Persona 4 at least goes for a bit of variety) Whichever you play I would just say all you really need is patience, because they contain a hell of a lot of story and they take their time explaining everything.

Persona 4 has plenty of one hit deaths though, I didn't find it much different to 3 in that regard.

I don't know what Persona 4 is like on easy but on normal it's certainly challenging, especially if you end up going into a boss fight not quite as high a level as you probably should be.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Guess what: If you've played Pokemon you are probably capable of understanding most JRPGs.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By indiana_jenkins

I would go as far as saying it's too good for a starter JRPG. It will give you unreasonable expectations for other JRPG's.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I'd say go for it. Persona 4 is a fantastic game that you should certainly play. Higher up on the first dungeon it can be hard but it's not frustrating. After that it's not too bad.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By jacksukeru

Persona 4 was pretty easy I thought, and it's linearity made it easy to keep pushing forward. As someone who has a bad habit of getting RPGs that he doesn't end up finishing P4 was a rare case where I kept going, and had fun, all the way to the end.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By ESREVER

@AjayRaz: You better finish Valkyria Chronicles, boy. *cracks whip*

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake

As a fan of JRPGs I thought P4's mechanics were a little confusing at first. Especially the persona fusing. By this stage there's plenty of guides explaining what and how to do things so you've got the pleasure of knowledge. That plus the day to day mechanics forces you to progress regardless of what you do so it's very playable. I'd say go for it. Don't expect to pick everything up on the first three hours or so but the time investment is worth it. There's a reason why I consider it one the best games I've played as my profile can probably tell you.

@ESREVER said:

Also, this. I BOUGHT YOU THAT COPY. You're not the first too...

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EightBitShik

You are one of the smartest people I know you can do it and if you get stuck just watch the Endurance run :)

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bed
    @ESREVER: iknowiknowiknow i've been itching to finish that.. and Disgaea 3.. and 4.. and.. Portal.   
    @eroticfishcake: LOOK I'M SORRY OKAY ; ;   
    the Persona fusing stuff sounds complicated.. but that's probably because i don't even know what a persona is. i'll give it a shot, though!  
    @EightBitShik: that's the only reason why i didn't watch the endurance run! i wanted to play it for myself, then watch it after.  

thanks again, guys. i think i'll go with Persona 4. still uneasy with 3, though. maybe i'll hold it off. 
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By RE_Player1

It's not hard at all and the concepts are very easy to understand.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Persona 4 is pretty user friendly. Persone 3 not so much, unless you go for the PSP version.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By natetodamax
    @AjayRaz If you had to pick between playing Persona 3 and Persona 4, I would go with Persona 4. The combat is so much better in 4 and it's not as grindy.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bed
    @Voxel: well actually i have the chance to get both, but i don't want to get Persona 3 if it's going to be an issue. that.. kind of seems to be the case? Persona 3 and 4 are very similar, it seems. i'm still on the edge with that one. maybe i'll take the plunge and give that one a shot, too. 
    Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Joker369

Persona 4 is relatively easy even on normal and with it being so linear, it keeps things interesting

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By natetodamax
    @AjayRaz If you can get both then you should! Persona 3 is still a great game even though the combat isn't as great as Persona 4. If you get both, play through 3 first.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bed
    @Voxel: gotcha. thanks Nate! ^^ 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#32  Edited By StarvingGamer

@AjayRaz: Remember if you end up getting Persona 3 for PS2 that you will be unable to control your allies in battle. This can turn a lot of the harder combat scenarios into trying to out think your teammates' AI and *fingers crossed* hoping that they do the right thing. On the other hand, while the PSP version gives you direct control over your characters, a lot is lost in reducing the town sequences to what is basically a glorified menu.

But definitely play 3 before 4 if you plan on playing both. Going in the other direction will be excruciating.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bed
    @StarvingGamer: i just ordered 3 and 4 so i'll try my best to get through 3 before 4. cheers! 
    MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrAristocrates

The mechanics are deceptively simple. You'll be fine.

@ESREVER said:

And this is the truth!

@StarvingGamer: I played 4 before 3, and struggled through much of it due to the many, many ways P4 changed it for the better. (The final boss was particularly difficult because revived allies moved before you and I couldn't change my tactics in time to prevent them from having their attacks repelled like idiots.)

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karl_Boss

Probably a lot easier than Nocturne

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EightBitShik

@AjayRaz: Dude, I think I am great at RPG's I mean fuck they aren't hard normally just grind shit out but Persona 3 makes me feel retarded. It's not your typical kind of RPG you can just die while grinding the easy shit reminds me of NES final fantasy. So if you die or feel like you don't know wtf you are doing then it's because it's Persona 3 and not you hoss.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SlightConfuse

3 is tough becasue your party can be idiots at points(think vinny casting bufu but with more frequency)

4 making a lot fo changes and is a better improvement overall.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bed
    @EightBitShik: i always die in RPGs while grinding easy stuff because i get too ahead of myself and die 
    @MrAristocrates: are the AI allies that much of a hassle? o-o oh, and i just totally came back from playing VC~ 
    MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrAristocrates

@AjayRaz: They give you enough different Tactics options to not make it a problem, but there are times when it just does not work. Let's just say I didn't miss the lack of control.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Bigheart711

@AjayRaz: Both games (Especially P4) are a good way to start up the genre, but I recommend sticking to either "Easy" or "Normal", but I have to warn you (If not already) that when you're on normal mode, you can't do any battle resets when you die. You'll have to start from your last save. Good luck on both games, though!

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@ESREVER said:

Well that goes without saying, for EVERYONE!

Valkyria Chronicles 3 we barely knew thee...

@AjayRaz: And I know the answer is pretty much redundant now I'll add my two cents in anyway. The mechanics can seem overwhelming at first, mainly because the game doesn't explain certain nuances with S-links and stuff.

The gameplay itself is fairly easy though, 3 is more severe in that regard. Both games plateau in difficulty early on. I'm guessing you're at least a little familiar that you'll find your bearings quickly either way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.