Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Kanji (Spoilers from 60% through game)

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By coffeesash

In the Trivia section someone wrote 'The character of Kanji is considered to be one of the first openly gay characters in a mainstream video game.'
    As far as I can tell, Kanji is not gay, and certainly not open about such. His dungeon and shadow concern his insecurities about being a boy that is good at handicraft, girls teasing him for that and also his anxiety about being attracted to Naoto (and he finds out why later on :P).  It's up to the player to decide for themselves what his orientation is, though the signs point to straight but confused. Many girls with a yaoi fetish would like to think otherwise though.

What's your take on it?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

There have been comments from people who made the game saying that they purposely left his sexuality ambiguous.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

I think that Kanji's as gay as most celebrities: there's definitely a possibility, but you don't know for sure. He's definitely not openly gay, but he's not as straight as an arrow either.

I'd say he's as straight as a rainbow and leave it at that....although he's probably not actually gay....I just really like calling people "as straight as a rainbow."
    coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coffeesash

Which brings me to this, if someone's put something that is wrong in the wiki, do you delete it or leave it? :S

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LordAndrew
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By endaround

Yes its ambiguous and Naoto makes it really ambiguous.  But keep in mind though he looks 25 with a fast receding hairline, Kanji is only 15 so ambiguity actually fits fairly well.

Mistral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Mistral

Not to mention that despite having blonde hair he has all sorts of fan artists convinced he has white hair...Kanji is a deep character indeed.

I think he's least bi(sorry dude, you don't get to magic away your shadow representing a REAL PART OF YOURSELF by going "oh, naoto was actually a girl! Whew!"), and I find it kinda sad that Atlus was too timid to confirm his sexuality one way or the other(hey, they had an openly gay person in PERSONA 2, so it's not like there's no precident for this). I'd even have accepted him being straight if Atlus wasn't all "la dee da it's up to the player to decide~", but the way they set it up for us is just a cop-out. Oh well, I can't get too mad about it since Kanji's still the best character in P4. :)

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Pepsiman

I get why some people aren't necessarily glad that Atlus has been so ambiguous about Kanji's sexuality, but what needs to be kept in mind is that Persona 4 is a game primarily for Japanese audiences first and foremost. Sure, you can play it in English, too, but the localization sure doesn't go out of its way to make the Japanese orientation any less, either, and this is especially true when it comes to Kanji. The ambiguity is there because homosexuality isn't as much of an openly discussed topic across the Pacific as it is here. It's not swept under the carpet per se, but understanding the common Japanese take on homosexuality involves delving into their ideas of just sex in general, too. Long story short, whatever happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom. You probably won't be looked down upon however you go about it, but it's also kept pretty private, too. The idea is that your sex life doesn't necessarily need to be made public for all of society to know. Naturally, like with any society, there can be risks to coming out of the closet, but we'll save that topic for another day.

So in short, Kanji probably doesn't just blurt out that he's gay because he's both uncertain and he's just doing the normal thing by laying low about it, too. There's an article here for those who are really interested in the matter. It gets into some details I didn't cover here and makes for a good read.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

Kanji's Shadow represents how he felt. He thought he was gay, so that's the form his Shadow took.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He's just uncomfortable around girls.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BoG

Yeah, I made a topic about it in another forum. As far as I know, he has a thing for Naoto, and therefore is not gay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoG said:
    "Yeah, I made a topic about it in another forum. As far as I know, he has a thing for Naoto, and therefore is not gay."
    But also had a thing for her when he thought she was a guy.

The first thing I thought when she told everyone was "Kanji's gonna be stoked."
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoG
    License_To_Bill said:
    "BoG said:
    "Yeah, I made a topic about it in another forum. As far as I know, he has a thing for Naoto, and therefore is not gay."
    But also had a thing for her when he thought she was a guy. The first thing I thought when she told everyone was "Kanji's gonna be stoked.""
    I don't think Kanji knew what he thought of her when they thought she was a guy, but I'd say he did have a little thing for her even then. I'm just glad my sexuality isn't as complicated as his.
    MiserableGerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MiserableGerm

Also, Rise suggests heavily that Naoto and Kanji get together. Its pretty canon in most circles too.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By samcotts

Is it really fair to mention Naoto? The title says 'spoilers from 60% through game'. Not much is known about Naoto around that point of the game, if I remember correctly.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By fr0br0

Kanji did have a "thing" for Naoto, but that was only because Naoto was the only person at the time to show him any kind of respect. Kanji could have seen Naoto as a friend and he wouldn't have known. Kanji wasn't the type of person to be getting a lot of friends so this comfort was probably new to him. I think Kanji was just naive when it came to who he liked and who he loved. When he asks if he could see Naoto again after being asked questions, I think that was a plea for a friend, not a lover.

However, because of his love for sewing, people have placed the "Only girls and want to be girls sew." And this screwed him up pretty bad. After finding Naoto and jumping ship with the whole love thing about her, it was just coincidence that he thought she was really a he and just rolled with the comments other people had for him.

And I think the whole nosebleed, shy around girls thing gives away to his straightness pretty well.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BoG
    Pepsiman said:
    "I get why some people aren't necessarily glad that Atlus has been so ambiguous about Kanji's sexuality, but what needs to be kept in mind is that Persona 4 is a game primarily for Japanese audiences first and foremost. Sure, you can play it in English, too, but the localization sure doesn't go out of its way to make the Japanese orientation any less, either, and this is especially true when it comes to Kanji. The ambiguity is there because homosexuality isn't as much of an openly discussed topic across the Pacific as it is here. It's not swept under the carpet per se, but understanding the common Japanese take on homosexuality involves delving into their ideas of just sex in general, too. Long story short, whatever happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom. You probably won't be looked down upon however you go about it, but it's also kept pretty private, too. The idea is that your sex life doesn't necessarily need to be made public for all of society to know. Naturally, like with any society, there can be risks to coming out of the closet, but we'll save that topic for another day.

So in short, Kanji probably doesn't just blurt out that he's gay because he's both uncertain and he's just doing the normal thing by laying low about it, too. There's an article here for those who are really interested in the matter. It gets into some details I didn't cover here and makes for a good read.
    "
    I guess this topic has been revived, but I only just read that article. Very interesting read, and very interesting to understand how Japan understands sexuality.
    The real problem I have is that the article doesn't once discuss the Naoto factor. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but it's almost as if they're concluding he is gay without considering his feelings for Naoto.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Kanji likes Naoto. He was just insecure.

No Caption Provided

platinumdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By platinumdevil

kanji is an "otomen" whoever understands the reference gets a cookie.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vorbis

Naoto spoilers I guess.

Kanji is only confused about his sexuality because he finds Naoto attractive (and the sewing thing i guess?), when he discovers he's actually a girl you can tell how happy he is and even says "I need more proof to confirm it".

Basically he thinks he's gay because he finds a boy hot, when he finds out it's a girl, all doubts disappear.

Oops, didnt realise it was an old thread, but still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.