Last name first? What is this?

#1 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

So, I'm confused. The Persona Wiki, Wikipedia and Giant Bomb claim his name, from the manga, is Souji Seta. When you're asked for the main character's name, the game demands the last name before his first. That makes sense, seeing as it's a Japanese game, however if I want to just go with the default, manga name, is it 'Last: Seta, First: Souji'? 

Doing a Wikipedia search for the Persona 3 protagonist, it lists Arisato Minato followed by Yukari Takeba, which confuses me as I was under the impression that Minato is the male protagonist's first name, and Takeba is the girl's last name. In Persona 3 Portable, I called my character Minato Arisato. 

Can anyone clear this up for me? It's a little annoying since I just want to get started on Persona 4!

I did see another thread on this when I searched, but the answers where somewhat minimal and searching through pages of possible spoilers to possibly find a good answer seemed like a bad idea for a game I haven't even started.  

Conclusion: 'Last: Seta, First: Souji' and 'Last: Arisato, First: Minato'. 

#2 Posted by Bocam (3683 posts) -
#3 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

it's Japanese

#4 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

In Japan it is traditional to list a person's family name first. 

EDIT: Souji is his first name. I think.

#5 Posted by ezekielzero (183 posts) -

I believe that wikipedia has been a tad confusing here, I always thought that the persona 3 main character's first name was Arisato and Last name was minato, and I believe that the persona 4 main characters First name is indeed souji with seta has his first name. And wow didn't think that anyone else actually used canon names except me.

#6 Posted by FateOfNever (1816 posts) -

His name is Charlie Tunoku.  Tunoku is his last name and Charlie is his first name.

Serious answer though, I think Seta is his last name and Souji is his first name.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6678 posts) -

It's not just a Japanese thing.  It is an Asian thing in general, as your family name is considered more important than your given name.

#8 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

Persona 3: Protagonist - Last Name: Arisato / First Name: Minato
Persona 4  Protagonist - Last Name: Seta / First Name: Souji

#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Fixed.

#10 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Bocam: @kingzetta: @Underachiever007: Thanks for the link, but I already know about name order. What confuses me is that there are multiple sources with somewhat mixed information, and it's confusing me as to what the character's first name really is.
#11 Posted by Hailinel (23989 posts) -

Wikipedia editors write Japanese names family name first.  Other western media, such as Giant Bomb and Atlus's own localizations display given name first.

#12 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5124 posts) -
@kingzetta: @Underachiever007: @Turambar: @iDarktread said:
" So, I'm confused. The Persona Wiki, Wikipedia and Giant Bomb claim his name, from the manga, is Souji Seta. When you're asked for the main character's name, the game demands the last name before his first. That makes sense, seeing as it's a Japanese game, however if I want to just go with the default, manga name, is it 'Last: Seta, First: Souji'?   "
#13 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@iDarktread said:

" @Bocam:  @kingzetta:  @Underachiever007: Thanks for the link, but I already know about name order. What confuses me is that there are multiple sources with somewhat mixed information, and it's confusing me as to what the character's first name really is. "

Someone changed the Characters of Persona 3 Wikipedia article in February to use his manga name, but put the names in an inconsistent order. I've undone the edit so it now merely refers to him as "Protagonist". The name Minato Arisato appears in the prose, where you can see the correct name order.
#14 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" @Bocam: @kingzetta: @Underachiever007: Thanks for the link, but I already know about name order. What confuses me is that there are multiple sources with somewhat mixed information, and it's confusing me as to what the character's first name really is. "
His first name is Souji. I don't think Seta is used as a first name at all in Japan.
#15 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

Here is the Persona 4 Manga.  The first link has the Page where Souji introduces himself.  The second where Chie introduces herself.  This is will probably confirm the correct order for you.
 http://www.mangafox.com/manga/persona_4/v01/c002/11.html

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/persona_4/v01/c002/12.html

#16 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

Okay, so if I'm understanding this correctly, they're 'Last: Seta, First: Souji' and 'Last: Arisato, First: Minato'. 

I appreciate the responses. Thanks for the help, guys. 

@Random88: Simple answers with links! :D

#17 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" Okay, so if I'm understanding this correctly, they're 'Last: Seta, First: Souji' and 'Last: Arisato, First: Minato'. "
Correct.
#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" Wikipedia editors write Japanese names family name first.  Other western media, such as Giant Bomb and Atlus's own localizations display given name first. "

Normally it's more consistent, but this particular edit seems to have been made by someone who saw the name Arisato Minato elsewhere and didn't realize that it was the Japanese ordering. The English Wikipedia's normally accepted way of displaying Japanese names is also used in the article: Minato Arisato ( 有里 湊 , Arisato Minato ).
#19 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

The main character's name is actually Charlie Tunoku. Don't be fooled by any of these lies.

#20 Posted by ChrisTaran (1570 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:
" His name is Charlie Tunoku.  Tunoku is his last name and Charlie is his first name. 
That is all that needs to be said.
#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10576 posts) -

His name is Charlie Tunoku. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar. A FILTHY LIAR!

#22 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Just wanted to point out, it's the same in Chinese. Your family name comes before your first name. I think it's the same in Korean.

#23 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

Charie Tuna.

#24 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" Just wanted to point out, it's the same in Chinese. Your family name comes before your first name. I think it's the same in Korean. "
The Wikipedia article was still wrong though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.