My Journey in to Persona 4 animation: Ep 11

Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -
So we meet again!

This whole episode pretty much covers Teddie's human form, Rise officially joinning the gang, Naoto being all cold detective like, and Mitsuo being all creepy like. And I have to say it was well paced.

This is kinda where the fast pacing works out for the show since it is skipping over minor parts and using its time for the more develop details. I do question if it was necessary to skip a few the days but but most of it was the week of their finals so maybe it was a good idea to do so. Seeing Mitsuo before he gets thrown in to the TV pretty much tells us that he a god damn creep. Its pretty obvious that he is design to be unlikeable from all of his action whether or not he the killer. I mean he was about to attack Nanako of all things!

The interesting parts of this episode was the ones with Naoto in them. Naoto is still the cold calculating detective at this point with all of the warnings and cold stares at our team. One of my favorite moments was when Yu and Naoto locked eyes for a bit with Naoto trying to intimidate him but Yu wasn't having it. While it is subtle, Rise does make a good point that Naoto is kinda playing around. Why would Naoto need to come to them and say that the police has got the killer when they could had found out from a newspaper or TV news? This is all for Naoto's arc later on and so far it is building up nicely.

However, what isn't being build up is the small hints of Adachi misleading our gang. As of now, he only been in a few scenes but aren't strong enough to hint at he hidden agenda later on. I wonder how they will handle it when the time comes. Otherwise when he is reveal, it'll feel like it came out of left field.

Everything else about this episode was pretty much solid. The Teddie parts was all enjoyable like the game, the scene with the rainy beef bowl was a good throw in, and Noriko Kashiwagi is pretty much the strange homeroom teacher who hasn't crack yet.

Overall another solid episode and next week it's game time.

Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

So we meet again, detective!
Teddie so Fabulous!
I can't blame him, it is pretty scary
Just kick him in the balls Nanako, it always works
#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -
So we meet again!

This whole episode pretty much covers Teddie's human form, Rise officially joinning the gang, Naoto being all cold detective like, and Mitsuo being all creepy like. And I have to say it was well paced.

This is kinda where the fast pacing works out for the show since it is skipping over minor parts and using its time for the more develop details. I do question if it was necessary to skip a few the days but but most of it was the week of their finals so maybe it was a good idea to do so. Seeing Mitsuo before he gets thrown in to the TV pretty much tells us that he a god damn creep. Its pretty obvious that he is design to be unlikeable from all of his action whether or not he the killer. I mean he was about to attack Nanako of all things!

The interesting parts of this episode was the ones with Naoto in them. Naoto is still the cold calculating detective at this point with all of the warnings and cold stares at our team. One of my favorite moments was when Yu and Naoto locked eyes for a bit with Naoto trying to intimidate him but Yu wasn't having it. While it is subtle, Rise does make a good point that Naoto is kinda playing around. Why would Naoto need to come to them and say that the police has got the killer when they could had found out from a newspaper or TV news? This is all for Naoto's arc later on and so far it is building up nicely.

However, what isn't being build up is the small hints of Adachi misleading our gang. As of now, he only been in a few scenes but aren't strong enough to hint at he hidden agenda later on. I wonder how they will handle it when the time comes. Otherwise when he is reveal, it'll feel like it came out of left field.

Everything else about this episode was pretty much solid. The Teddie parts was all enjoyable like the game, the scene with the rainy beef bowl was a good throw in, and Noriko Kashiwagi is pretty much the strange homeroom teacher who hasn't crack yet.

Overall another solid episode and next week it's game time.

Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

So we meet again, detective!
Teddie so Fabulous!
Just kick him in the balls Nanako, it always works
#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Oh shit- this is out? Man... Persona or Star Wars Galaxies... I can always watch Persona tomorrow, right? Yeah.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

Yea, those Teddie head parts were the best. I'd have more to say about this, but I haven't watched enough Death Note to get the jokes to work.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

This was an excellent episode all around, from the Beef Bowl Challenge reference to Teddie's human debut to Mitsuo being a creeptastic creeper of a creep.

#5 Posted by MetalBaofu (1343 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Oh shit- this is out? Man... Persona or Star Wars Galaxies... I can always watch Persona tomorrow, right? Yeah.

Yeah, the new episodes go up Thursdays at 3PM Eastern time.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@metalhead87 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah, the new episodes go up Thursdays at 3PM Eastern time.

What's going to suck is I'm going to be traveling next Thursday and probably won't have a chance to watch the episode until I return home after Christmas.

#7 Posted by Juno500 (381 posts) -

Best part of the series so far besides the Catherine ringtone.

#8 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

This episode was pretty solid. Very nice setup for next week's fight. The Kubo scenes were great, I'm glad they did those. That Naoto Yu eye stuff was interesting. It was like they were trying, and failing, to figure the other out.

Animation was pretty good, a few weird faces, but I can honestly forgive that.

Big bad boss fight next week. How will the team do?! Will they suck out loud, or will they prevail?!

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@SilvarusLupus said: 

Big bad boss fight next week. How will the team do?! Will they suck out loud, or will they prevail?!

They'll all get trashed, and then either Yu's going to fuse something or whatever else is going to happen that'll get them to win. It sure won't be MItsuo accepting his inner self, though.
#10 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Always liked Mitsuo's 8-bit dungeon, looking forward to how they depict it in the next episode, creep baby boss and all!

The Teddie head was a nice transition, and the beef bowl challenge shouldn't leave any doubts as to who this show is aimed at, doubt that'd be as good without the context. It was great all the same, was half expecting the "meat-dimension" to be referenced though :(

@Video_Game_King said:

Yea, those Teddie head parts were the best. I'd have more to say about this, but I haven't watched enough Death Note to get the jokes to work.

Joke? I've watched Death Note and I don't get the reference. Colour me confused.

#11 Posted by Murra (5 posts) -

they took out my fav line from the game :(

"is he cute?what do you think kanji?"

"huh? why are you asking?"

"i was just wondering if he was you'r type"

"ohhhh i get it! what you're really asking is "Whould you please beat the Shit out of my Kanji""

gotta say i love how they give misuro more screen time to more of show him as a creep

#12 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

I kept seeing thinking I was seeing animation errors with Naoto, but it turns out the hat just makes the eyes look... off somehow. The eyes themselves are fine, upon examination.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma:

Jokes I wanted to make (because Mitsuo looks like an insane L). Again, I haven't watched Death Note.

#14 Posted by Bartman3010 (443 posts) -

Urgh. Why isn't this on Hulu yet?

#15 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I don't know why, but this was my least favorite episode yet in that I thought it was actively a bad episode, and I have no justification for that except a general feeling.

#16 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

I don't know why, but this was my least favorite episode yet in that I thought it was actively a bad episode, and I have no justification for that except a general feeling.

Wait, why? It is exactly, well mostly, what happened in the game. Reasons man! We need them!

#17 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

@SilvarusLupus said:

@Commisar123 said:

Wait, why? It is exactly, well mostly, what happened in the game. Reasons man! We need them!

I know I know. Ha this is exactly what I was afraid of. I think overall the episode felt more awkward then it did in the game, and not in a good way. I guess I didn't think it was that funny, but I did love the part where the kid was crying at Teddy's/Kuma's discarded head. The beef bowl bit in particular stands out for me as just kinda dumb. This is the first time I felt this way about the show at all, so maybe I'm just crazy (the voices say I'm not but I don't believe them).

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

@Commisar123:

I can sorta relate to the meat bowl thing. At first, I thought "why are they making such a huge deal over this"; then, I though, "oh, I get it: very obvious allegory for the case or something"; then I got over it and tried to figure out how Teddie can impregnate himself with himself.

#19 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SilvarusLupus said: 

They'll all get trashed, and then either Yu's going to fuse something or whatever else is going to happen that'll get them to win. It sure won't be MItsuo accepting his inner self, though.

Yeah, its true to the source material, I guess, but Yu is way too overpowered compared to the rest. They all feel like scrubs compared to him :|

@Video_Game_King

said:

then I got over it and tried to figure out how Teddie can impregnate himself with himself.

He did a looooooottt of situps.

And come on guys, the beef bow thing was a reference to the meat dimension.
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

@mutha3:

So you're saying that he can suck his own dick? That actually makes sense, if he does it enough times.

#21 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@mutha3: I know, I just wanted a Meat Dimension name drop was all.

#22 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma: That was intented for Commisar123/VGK, silly!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.