My Journey in to Persona 4 animation: Ep 2

Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -
Thats right Chie, this episode was even better! You also get to have some beef.

Most of us agree that the first episode had some pacing issues that skipped all of the build up. However, episode 2 definitely makes it up for it with our focus on both the inner workings of the TV world and Yousuke’s other self. While the show does move at a fast pace it should be noted that the events that they used, like the scene with the stalker talking to Yukiko or the talk at the end with Yousuke and Yu willing to solve what is going on, makes the show flow better. There were some interesting use of details with Yousuke’s other self scene like the video of the Junes workers and Saki’s confession that help push the fact of Yousuke’s problems that wasn’t shown in the game. Despite one of the animators complaint on twitter, the show still look great and the battle scene with Izanagi and Shadow Yousuke was really well choreograph. It also should be noted that Yu was a lot more talkative and more forward than before, guess that point of courage has helped out. This weeks episode also features the real Opening and Ending. The opening offers interesting visuals and concepts of the series using imagery and styles along with some funky music. The Ending may be a bit simple with Yu standing in a circle of cards and a more slow pacing music but it works for what is trying to do. Our first two members of our yet to be call investigation team has formed and now it is time to go deeper in to the TV land as the next episode shows that Yukiko’s and Chie’s problems will manifest themselves soon. Investigation team, GO.

Highlights

The key to everything
You're a real creep kid
"Put the head back on the thing!" - Jeff
Hey there Yu, isn't it a little too soon for that?
Falcon punch!
Sup, here to join the party
Social link Magician: Rank 1
#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -
Thats right Chie, this episode was even better! You also get to have some beef.

Most of us agree that the first episode had some pacing issues that skipped all of the build up. However, episode 2 definitely makes it up for it with our focus on both the inner workings of the TV world and Yousuke’s other self. While the show does move at a fast pace it should be noted that the events that they used, like the scene with the stalker talking to Yukiko or the talk at the end with Yousuke and Yu willing to solve what is going on, makes the show flow better. There were some interesting use of details with Yousuke’s other self scene like the video of the Junes workers and Saki’s confession that help push the fact of Yousuke’s problems that wasn’t shown in the game. Despite one of the animators complaint on twitter, the show still look great and the battle scene with Izanagi and Shadow Yousuke was really well choreograph. It also should be noted that Yu was a lot more talkative and more forward than before, guess that point of courage has helped out. This weeks episode also features the real Opening and Ending. The opening offers interesting visuals and concepts of the series using imagery and styles along with some funky music. The Ending may be a bit simple with Yu standing in a circle of cards and a more slow pacing music but it works for what is trying to do. Our first two members of our yet to be call investigation team has formed and now it is time to go deeper in to the TV land as the next episode shows that Yukiko’s and Chie’s problems will manifest themselves soon. Investigation team, GO.

Highlights

The key to everything
You're a real creep kid
"Put the head back on the thing!" - Jeff
Hey there Yu, isn't it a little too soon for that?
Falcon punch!
Sup, here to join the party
Social link Magician: Rank 1
#2 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -

I really wish the screen would flash RANK UP during that handshake at the end.

#3 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

At the end of the episode after the credits....please say you saw the massive pile of paper cranes in his room as it panned to the midnight channel. Its small touches like that that really make this anime. Not sure if he was starting a social link with Nanako either, helping her with the dishes is pretty awesome big bro.

#4 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Not to say that the animation got any worse, but it continues to be mediocre.

Then again, going from starting an anime with kind of terrific animation to watching this episode probably was a bad call on my part. : )

Also, not enough Nanako this episode. : (

#5 Posted by sf2733 (41 posts) -

Where are you guys watching this? I just saw episode 1 on hulu and didn't see the second episode posted.

#6 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I'm loving everything about this show, except for Teddie's voice. Christ that is awful.

Also, I wasn't a big fan of Chie like a lot of people were during the ER, but anime Chie is pretty awesome. I see the light.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@sf2733 said:

Where are you guys watching this? I just saw episode 1 on hulu and didn't see the second episode posted.

I'd imagine most people in here are seeing it on http://www.theanimenetwork.com/ or other streaming sites.

Or download it.

#8 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

@sf2733 said:

It shows up on Anime Network first on Thursdays and than Hulu on Fridays.

@MysteriousFawx said:

At the end of the episode after the credits....please say you saw the massive pile of paper cranes in his room as it panned to the midnight channel. Its small touches like that that really make this anime.

Hey, nice catch.

@Cloudenvy: Maybe it is low quality but you could be more observant of the visuals than I am or that the visuals are just subjective.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I 'm not into anime, and the only reason I'd be into this is the fact that I've watched the endurance run twice, but I'm totally gonna watch this if it ends up getting dubbed.

#10 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: I guess it's not as much low quality as it just loses a lot of detail when looking at characters from a distance, and I guess you have to be observant to catch it.

This picture is a good example of it.

#11 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Those people are just being picky.

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@metalsnakezero:

Sorry. T___T

#13 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

While Im not super crazy about it yet I think it´s alright I like the art style for the intro and the use of the game tracks even when at times it seems out of place or it just dosn´t fit quite right, it also feels weird the the protagonist has a bit of more personality now, a lot of people were bother by him not having one but I think that fit in the game but I guess in an anime it dosn´t work the same you need a protagonist you can conect with , anyways the series seems good but I´ll be more exited when they dubbed it. ... Also the crazy puppet hand teacher had a cameo thats so crazy!.

#14 Posted by Ketch (32 posts) -

The 2nd ep was really enjoyable. The pacing was slower so the scenes made more sense, and the music didn't seem as out of place as in the first ep.

#15 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Cloudenvy: There was barely any derpface in episode 2. I caught two instances of it. 

Which is totally common for pretty much any anime.
#16 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4643 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

Also, I wasn't a big fan of Chie like a lot of people were during the ER, but anime Chie is pretty awesome. I see the light.

I agree with this. Chie annoyed the shit out of me in the game thanks to that horrendous voice. She's much better in the anime.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.