My Journey in to Persona 4 animation: Ep 4

Posted by metalsnakezero (2285 posts) -
You would laugh too, wouldn't you?

Its interesting how the anime is adding some nice details that help build these characters. We all know that Yukiko's problems come from her feeling that she can't go anywhere due to her family's inn and being protected by Chie to some degree, but we never get to see those moments and that is what the anime fills in. With the few bits of her being unhappy while working and the symbolism of the pet bird helps emphasize where Yukiko's problems are coming from and where it lead down to. There was also a nice emotional moment between Chie and Yukiko with nice beats and pacing to it. On other notes, the fighting had some nice twist like how Pyro Jack absorbing the fire, which is a game mechanics, but works well within the contexts of the show. Animation is still hold up pretty well but I did see some what I like to call weird anime faces in a few scenes. So far another good episode and coming up next week Yu will be spending some time building some social links. Let see how well that goes. Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

Back off, she's my woman!
No Chie, I just started your social link!
A sonic punch! They were totally watching the endurance run!
Now thats the Yukiko we know and love :D
#1 Edited by metalsnakezero (2285 posts) -
You would laugh too, wouldn't you?

Its interesting how the anime is adding some nice details that help build these characters. We all know that Yukiko's problems come from her feeling that she can't go anywhere due to her family's inn and being protected by Chie to some degree, but we never get to see those moments and that is what the anime fills in. With the few bits of her being unhappy while working and the symbolism of the pet bird helps emphasize where Yukiko's problems are coming from and where it lead down to. There was also a nice emotional moment between Chie and Yukiko with nice beats and pacing to it. On other notes, the fighting had some nice twist like how Pyro Jack absorbing the fire, which is a game mechanics, but works well within the contexts of the show. Animation is still hold up pretty well but I did see some what I like to call weird anime faces in a few scenes. So far another good episode and coming up next week Yu will be spending some time building some social links. Let see how well that goes. Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

Back off, she's my woman!
No Chie, I just started your social link!
A sonic punch! They were totally watching the endurance run!
Now thats the Yukiko we know and love :D
#2 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

I really liked how Yu's other personas aren't just "ass-kicking machines" like Izanagi. Pyro Jack absorbing the fire was something I wasn't expecting, but yeah, it makes perfect sense.

#3 Posted by Martial1562 (13 posts) -

Attention K-Mart shoppers....CALLED IT....that is all...

Ahem...that was interesting. Not sure where that came from. XD

But for the record my prediction for the Chariot persona MC used I completely nailed it!

This episode was the first to take an actual deviation from the game plot itself and I must say it did so extremely well. In the game the caged bird as the boss was vague symbolism at best. I think this was due to that boss being widely regarded as one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) in the game and thus focused the attention of the player towards that instead. This episode took that symbolism and gave an actual context to it. This is vital to the anime and shows that even video game plot can be expanded upon in a meaningful way. The direction this anime is going is one that can only lead to positive execution of the game's content and of course my enjoyment in watching this.

No need to make a persona prediction just yet ( I still can't believe I got it right XD ) but I hope that Kanji's arc is a ways off, hopefully episode 7 or 8 might be the start of that. The preview does seem to suggest Ai Ebihara making an appearance and possibly MC joining the soccer team (so much for the balls joke T-T) otherwise next week could be interesting to watch.

#4 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

Another great episode really and I agree with what you said, lov ehow the show is further expanding on stuff that was only vaguely mentioned in the game, like the birdcage symbolism and the dog in the previous episode

Also, I think the look of the anime is beautiful and the animation is great. Persona 4 had such a gorgeous artstyle and this anime really shows it off well

And next episode looked interesting, can't wait

#5 Edited by Martial1562 (13 posts) -

@Venatio: Not sure if many are aware but there was in fact a manga version of persona 4 (not very far only 13 chapters currently) and the part with chie and yukiko as kids with the dog was featured in the manga so its a plus that multiple sources of content are being used in the anime.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (35783 posts) -

I knew it! I fucking knew it! I knew that somebody was going to use that picture of Chie in their review, and not only was it the first one I clicked, but also the first thing you see! Does anybody wish to give me an Internet high-five?

#7 Posted by metalsnakezero (2285 posts) -

@Martial1562: Yeah, I saw it but I think having it animated works a lot better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.