My Journey in to Persona 4 animation: Ep 8

Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -
Hope your Thanksgiving dinner doesn't turn out like this -_-;

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and what a treat we have with this weeks episode of Persona 4 as the gang goes on their camping trip. A nice mix of humor and a bit of intrigue on the murder mystery. The format is pretty similar to the game with the mystery food X, tent sleep over hijinks, and swim suits scene, which all flowed well and let us have some fun with the characters. What I find interesting is what they added.

First comes Naoki Konishi, younger brother of Saki Konishi. His behavior at first is very harsh to our main characters due to the events of his sister's murder but we also learn of people always being sorry for him for his lost, which he is getting tired of it. However, a few kind words and a nice offering of a Aiya beef bowl helps keep his mind off of these annoyances. As a person who just recently lost a love one, it can be annoying to have people try and comfort you out of no where. It reinsuring to have some people offer some real help. And hopefully we'll see more of Naoki as having friends would help him a lot.

Next is the additional information on our murder case as the gang figures out that the way a person gets thrown in to the TV is by being on TV. Its interesting that they put it here instead of having it when Kanji was joining the group but their in a more private area to discuss this matter as it has importance to the story later on. I mean, what else can you talk about when you're picking up trash?

Next week Rise is going to show it all off! Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

Nanako is amazed at rubber-bands!
Mystery Food X - 2
Investigation team - 0
Now this is a manly sleepover
Can't a man "get bent" in his sleep?
Fanservice, pure and simple
#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -
Hope your Thanksgiving dinner doesn't turn out like this -_-;

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and what a treat we have with this weeks episode of Persona 4 as the gang goes on their camping trip. A nice mix of humor and a bit of intrigue on the murder mystery. The format is pretty similar to the game with the mystery food X, tent sleep over hijinks, and swim suits scene, which all flowed well and let us have some fun with the characters. What I find interesting is what they added.

First comes Naoki Konishi, younger brother of Saki Konishi. His behavior at first is very harsh to our main characters due to the events of his sister's murder but we also learn of people always being sorry for him for his lost, which he is getting tired of it. However, a few kind words and a nice offering of a Aiya beef bowl helps keep his mind off of these annoyances. As a person who just recently lost a love one, it can be annoying to have people try and comfort you out of no where. It reinsuring to have some people offer some real help. And hopefully we'll see more of Naoki as having friends would help him a lot.

Next is the additional information on our murder case as the gang figures out that the way a person gets thrown in to the TV is by being on TV. Its interesting that they put it here instead of having it when Kanji was joining the group but their in a more private area to discuss this matter as it has importance to the story later on. I mean, what else can you talk about when you're picking up trash?

Highlights

Nanako is amazed at rubber-bands!
Mystery Food X - 2
Investigation team - 0
Now this is a manly sleepover
Can't a man "get bent" in his sleep?
Fanservice, pure and simple
#2 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Dat Yosuke x Chie in the tent. Wish I had a screencap on hand but oh well.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@metalsnakezero said:

Wait, what? I may have missed this, but I didn't see any indication of Rise in the "Next Scent".

#4 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: look carefully at the preview, she's wearing a hat and her hair is down so for a moment it doesn't look like Rise but it is her.

@thehexeditor: You mean this?

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: Oh, that's who she's supposed to be? I had definitely wondered who she was, but I guess it could make sense that that's Rise.

#6 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I swear that these episodes are getting funnier and funnier every week. Also, I'm pretty sure that Yosuke is getting more and more perverted every week.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

Another awesome episode. I like how they worked Naoki's Social Link into the events, and Aika saved everyone from starving and subsisting on animal crackers. And of course, the complete nonchalance with which Yu gets knocked into the river, followed by the pure horror of what came next.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'll just throw this monkey wrench into the situation: how's it fan service when you're older than the characters doling out the fan service? (I'm assuming that not a lot of people on this site are in high school anymore.)

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I'll just throw this monkey wrench into the situation: how's it fan service when you're older than the characters doling out the fan service? (I'm assuming that not a lot of people on this site are in high school anymore.)

Haven't you forgotten? People older than high school who would at all be interested in fanservice are still totally into high school girls. Isn't that like... the point of every harem anime ever?

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater:

How could I ever know? Keep in mind that I've only watched two serious animes ever (IE ones that aren't Pokemon, Digimon, or Yu-Gi-Oh), and both creep me out when they start treating high school girls sexually. This one with the fan-service, and another by making one of the character's tits a plot point (yes, that is what happens).

#11 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

They do it in the game too basically. -coughhotspringscough- It was a good setup for Yosuke's pervyness.

#12 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ArbitraryWater:

How could I ever know? Keep in mind that I've only watched two serious animes ever (IE ones that aren't Pokemon, Digimon, or Yu-Gi-Oh), and both creep me out when they start treating high school girls sexually. This one with the fan-service, and another by making one of the character's tits a plot point (yes, that is what happens).

It's not like I've watched a ton of Anime that wasn't on Toonami when I was 11 either. But fanservice and weird sexual portrayals of underage girls is practically to be expected at some point. Even ultra-serious mind-rapery like Evangelion has its share of its (14 year old) female protagonists in compromising or otherwise creepy situations. Bonus points if the fanservice involves the female character's breasts in some way, either as an accidental grope or an accidental "pillow".

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Yeah, I don't understand how this is supposed to be fanservice if it's exactly what happened in the game. Chie and Yukiko slipping and rolling around in massage gel is fanservice; them in bathing suits from a scene in Persona 4 isn't.

#14 Posted by ch3burashka (5036 posts) -

That was a fucking weird episode. In the game all the sexual connotation/innuendos were fairly subtle (at least to me), but now they went out and just said that Kanji got laid... and then dumped. As for the Kanji/Yosuke/Yu tent scene, that kinda sucked - in the game it was nice to have a balance of homophobic Yosuke and accepting Charlie, but having them both gang up on Kanji simply wasn't cool.

And what the hell was up with that transition style? It was incredibly bad-ass, although the first time Teddie screamed "persona" at me it was a bit jarring. Overall, a 5/5 with a few qualms that are mostly tied to the narrative already set up in the game, so not much they could've done with that. And it was nice to see Konishi early on.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

That was a fucking weird episode. In the game all the sexual connotation/innuendos were fairly subtle (at least to me), but now they went out and just said that Kanji got laid... and then dumped. As for the Kanji/Yosuke/Yu tent scene, that kinda sucked - in the game it was nice to have a balance of homophobic Yosuke and accepting Charlie, but having them both gang up on Kanji simply wasn't cool.

And what the hell was up with that transition style? It was incredibly bad-ass, although the first time Teddie screamed "persona" at me it was a bit jarring. Overall, a 5/5 with a few qualms that are mostly tied to the narrative already set up in the game, so not much they could've done with that. And it was nice to see Konishi early on.

Technically, we don't know what happened in that tent between Kanji and Hanako. But that little bit with them together was hilarious.

#16 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I thought the episode was hilarious, but I was a little disappointed in how the social link was just dumped out.

#17 Posted by bbrcher (67 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Technically, we don't know what happened in that tent between Kanji and Hanako. But that little bit with them together was hilarious.

I agree, I didn't see them as having sex but rather Kanji just being a convenient body pillow for Hanako (that was her name right?).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.