Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

My own P4 endurance run

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By KnifeySpoony

So this summer a friend and I sort of fell into playing the game. I have been watching all of the endurance run videos, so with E3 this past week I have been in need of some persona, and so we continued my friend's save from about 8 1/2 hours in or so. We just finished our third day of playing in five days and now have a save file at around 29 1/2 hours. We actually are very close to where Jeff and Vinny are now in their save as we are ready to start the dungeon they are on.

I should also mention that my friend has the guide for the game, so it has made us a lot more efficient in terms of what we do per day, quest availability, social linking and the like. It has really come in handy when in dungeons and how to approach enemies and bosses.

In terms of the actual playing of the game we are having an absolute blast doing it, obviously or else we wouldn't have 7 hours/day so far. A lot of the stuff that Jeff and Vinny say about the game I resonate with. I think that it has a great dialogue between characters, the menus are really nice aesthetically and the setting is a nice place to be. The characters in terms of their stories during social link progression isn't that great. There are a few who we like, but we think Yukiko is fairly boring and Dojima and Yosuke and even Nanako are depressing.

Just as a side note for the social links we actually maxed out Chie already, and now that we know that our party member's personas evolve at social link 10 we have been really focused at getting it done for the rest. We are now at social rank 8 for both Yukiko and Yosuke. and since we just unlocked Rise I believe she is at 2.

Another thing I am a bit bummed out about is what happens after you max a social rank. We were big fans of Chie, but as soon as we maxed her out, it was as though we flipped a switch and she completely disappeared from our minds. It would have been nice if there were little battle dialogue changes or just something that made us actually want to care after it was done.

A big thing that could also use tweaking, as said by Jeff a few times is the fusing. There seems to be way too much unknown about what certain persona arcanas fused together will make. You have to go in and look at every single combination of the personas you have pulled to have an idea. Then on top of that you have to keep rolling to make sure you get the spells you want to carry over. It is way too tedious and hopefully gets streamlined in the next game.

That was in terms of the double and triple fusions, I like how they approach the bigger fusions much better with just telling you what you can make and what you need to make them.

But overall with those complaints, we are having great fun going through the game so far and will continue for the time being. I honestly don't know how far we will make it as we have limited time as summer moves on.

Edit: The biggest thing for me is that this game is much more fun going through it with a friend. To add in your own commentary and have a laugh with a friend has made this experience so far leagues better.

and to beat those few to the punch since there must be a ton of these now,

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KnifeySpoony

So this summer a friend and I sort of fell into playing the game. I have been watching all of the endurance run videos, so with E3 this past week I have been in need of some persona, and so we continued my friend's save from about 8 1/2 hours in or so. We just finished our third day of playing in five days and now have a save file at around 29 1/2 hours. We actually are very close to where Jeff and Vinny are now in their save as we are ready to start the dungeon they are on.

I should also mention that my friend has the guide for the game, so it has made us a lot more efficient in terms of what we do per day, quest availability, social linking and the like. It has really come in handy when in dungeons and how to approach enemies and bosses.

In terms of the actual playing of the game we are having an absolute blast doing it, obviously or else we wouldn't have 7 hours/day so far. A lot of the stuff that Jeff and Vinny say about the game I resonate with. I think that it has a great dialogue between characters, the menus are really nice aesthetically and the setting is a nice place to be. The characters in terms of their stories during social link progression isn't that great. There are a few who we like, but we think Yukiko is fairly boring and Dojima and Yosuke and even Nanako are depressing.

Just as a side note for the social links we actually maxed out Chie already, and now that we know that our party member's personas evolve at social link 10 we have been really focused at getting it done for the rest. We are now at social rank 8 for both Yukiko and Yosuke. and since we just unlocked Rise I believe she is at 2.

Another thing I am a bit bummed out about is what happens after you max a social rank. We were big fans of Chie, but as soon as we maxed her out, it was as though we flipped a switch and she completely disappeared from our minds. It would have been nice if there were little battle dialogue changes or just something that made us actually want to care after it was done.

A big thing that could also use tweaking, as said by Jeff a few times is the fusing. There seems to be way too much unknown about what certain persona arcanas fused together will make. You have to go in and look at every single combination of the personas you have pulled to have an idea. Then on top of that you have to keep rolling to make sure you get the spells you want to carry over. It is way too tedious and hopefully gets streamlined in the next game.

That was in terms of the double and triple fusions, I like how they approach the bigger fusions much better with just telling you what you can make and what you need to make them.

But overall with those complaints, we are having great fun going through the game so far and will continue for the time being. I honestly don't know how far we will make it as we have limited time as summer moves on.

Edit: The biggest thing for me is that this game is much more fun going through it with a friend. To add in your own commentary and have a laugh with a friend has made this experience so far leagues better.

and to beat those few to the punch since there must be a ton of these now,

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By droop

In the games manual, theres a fusion table that shows what the arcana of a fused persona will be.

Like Strenght + Empress = Hierophant etc. I don't have a PS2 yet, so I have not played P4 .. But it seems like it could be useful.

Its page 32-33 btw.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cc23574

Fuck, I still dont understand how Jeff and Vinny were 29hours in when they saved Rise, I'm 17hours in and I am going to save her. Any tips for making the game longer?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189

Theres a number of speccial events that your girlfriends influence ;)

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cc23574

Yeah I'm pimping Yukiko right now, I'm rank 9 with her. But now I'm 17hours in and I'm about to save Rise, if I keep up with this pace, how long will the game last?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

You said you were using a guide, which is probably why you're going so fast. I did 45 hours at bad ending, 60 hours at good ending and 65 at "True".

Don't rush, and enjoy the dialogue.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KnifeySpoony
    @Droop: Ah ok, we may look into that, thanks.

Here's an update, we just had another 8 hour run last night, so our save is around 37 hours. Within those 8 hours, we maxed out Yukiko, Yosuke and Nanako's social link. We also beat the dungeon that Vinny and Jeff left for E3 on. We are now working on Rise and Dojima, who are rank 6 and 7 respectively.

We definitely aren't skipping through the dialogue, it has been great, but now we are running out of interesting social links to work on. It is a bit scary because we are almost finished with everyone we have been hanging out with all game :(.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97

You sure you found all the social links?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Vorbis

Yeah following a guide is going to shorten the game alot as you'll always get the S.Links correct. Without a guide you can get the wrong answers meaning you'll spend the next time "getting closer". Not to mention knowing the monsters weakness's makes combat very quick.

My advice would be to play the first playthrough without a guide and just have fun, the wrong answers are usually the funny ones. Then pickup a guide for a second playthrough to see those scenes you missed, game goes much faster the second time through.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Yoskuke (spelling?) is an awesome character. I lol everytime he speaks.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KnifeySpoony
    @FrankCanada97: We definitely haven't, but we're running out of interesting links, ones we actually care about.

In terms of the social ranks, we've basically been looking at what the best answer is in the guide, and then picking what we would say, most of the time it has been the same. Rank 10 cutscenes are great because we just say the most outlandish crap because it will rank up no matter what.

Oh and uhm I guess incoming spoiler, but the giantbomb endurance run has gotten past it.

We really don't like teddie anymore.  We have disliked him ever since he came out of the t.v. and "grew" a person. It's sort of funny but because of our discontent with him now, we haven't bothered to even use him yet in a dungeon, besides we have all evolved personas now.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @KnifeySpoony said:
    " @FrankCanada97: We definitely haven't, but we're running out of interesting links, ones we actually care about.

In terms of the social ranks, we've basically been looking at what the best answer is in the guide, and then picking what we would say, most of the time it has been the same. Rank 10 cutscenes are great because we just say the most outlandish crap because it will rank up no matter what.

Oh and uhm I guess incoming spoiler, but the giantbomb endurance run has gotten past it.

We really don't like teddie anymore.  We have disliked him ever since he came out of the t.v. and "grew" a person. It's sort of funny but because of our discontent with him now, we haven't bothered to even use him yet in a dungeon, besides we have all evolved personas now. "
    Yeah his need to score with the ladies got really annoying after a while. Every time he speaks, he is trying to hit on the girls.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By PercyChuggs

Ok, if we are going to call it an endurance run everytime someone plays an RPG from start to finish, then I've probably done about 30 "Endurance Runs" in my life.

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By KingOfIceland
    @KnifeySpoony said:
    " but we think Yukiko is fairly boring and Kojima 
    Wut? Kojima's in this game?!
    KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnifeySpoony
    @KingOfIceland: Hahahaha oh wow, I can't believe I made that mistake, I mixed up the names last night as well.
    KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KnifeySpoony
    @PercyChuggs: Would this not qualify? We have only spent 4 days on the game and have logged 29 hours...
    cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cc23574

What level are you guys?

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ChrisTaran

I dunno, but I would personally never use a guide to go through the whole game.  I've used GameFAQS for the occasional test answer, but that's about it. I don't think I'd find it as fun if I knew exactly what I needed to say to each of my social links, or didn't have to figure out a strategy for a boss fight.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KnifeySpoony
    @cc23574: We are level 43 in the game, along with our main party.

@ChrisTaran said:
    " I dunno, but I would personally never use a guide to go through the whole game.  I've used GameFAQS for the occasional test answer, but that's about it. I don't think I'd find it as fun if I knew exactly what I needed to say to each of my social links, or didn't have to figure out a strategy for a boss fight. "
    I could see where you are coming from, but a lot of the fun we are having is the commentary my friend and I have while playing, along with making decisions and planning things out together.

edit: Also, I have to say, Black Frost is awesome.
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @KnifeySpoony said:
    " @cc23574: We are level 43 in the game, along with our main party.

@ChrisTaran said:
    " I dunno, but I would personally never use a guide to go through the whole game.  I've used GameFAQS for the occasional test answer, but that's about it. I don't think I'd find it as fun if I knew exactly what I needed to say to each of my social links, or didn't have to figure out a strategy for a boss fight. "
    I could see where you are coming from, but a lot of the fun we are having is the commentary my friend and I have while playing, along with making decisions and planning things out together.edit: Also, I have to say, Black Frost is awesome. "
    You know, playing it with 2 people, I can see the guide being totally the way to go.  I think the way I played might be better for just playing by yourself.  Just to be clear, I have no 'problem' with anyone playing with a guide.  I was just thinking (typing) aloud my thoughts on how I enjoyed the game :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.