Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Never thought of this during the ER (Culprit spoilers)

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was playing Persona 4 with my girlfriend--an endurance run of our own, but she likes how stupid and crazy the game is--and last night, we finally made it to Adachi's reveal. I didn't question this much while watching Jeff and Vinny mainly because of how funny it was, but now that we've talked about it, Adachi being the culprit's a pretty big copout, isn't it?

His character doesn't have much depth... Even Namatame is more complex than he. Unless I'm forgetting something, since we just entered the dungeon, Adachi's motive is "bitches and whores" and "baw I can't get laid." That's it. After like 65 hours, it feels like whoever wrote this game had another character written but ended up having to cut that idea. So Adachi is left as a possible culprit, but he's comic relief and that feels so wrong.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something?

Also it's the first day of the dungeon and I still have Hisano (rank 9) Kanji and Rise (around rank 6 or 7... Kanji might be 8), Naoto (rank 2), Naoki (rank... 7? 6?), the whiny kid's stepmother (rank 1), and the whiny kid who needs tutoring (yet to have the Understanding). I might be screwed. But out of that list, we really only care about Hisano's and Kanji's social links... especially Hisano. Goddamn that was some sad, but really good shit.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

well you can do the non party member social links before christmas eve (and some of the party members, but Im not sure). So you can finish Hisano.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Adachi gets some more depth in P4G but the reason he seems like a copout is he was made the culprit at the last moment.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah the whole last couple hours of p4 are a total mess story-wise. adachi's motives are so fucking weak.

but whatever its persona 4 that game is rad.

EerieTraveler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EerieTraveler

What Bocam said. There was an interview a while back with the director of the game that discussed adding a villain at the last minute.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have to agree somewhat. Aside from being able to rule everyone else out and him being in close proximity to all of the victims, it didn't feel like there was much that pointed to him as being the killer. (Though, I suppose, real-life serial killers often seem perfectly normal to those that know them as well.) The whole reveal did feel a bit out of left field. That said, I'm not sure what they could've done to make the reveal feel more natural without telegraphing it to the point where you figured it out way ahead of time.

As I understand it, he only killed people because his discovery of Izanami's gift pushed him over the line from "man, this backwoods town is fucking boring" to "I guess I'll start throwing people into TVs since I'll never be caught and it'll make life here interesting for once." I don't really think he would've started murdering people in cold blood (going around shooting people or whatever) if he hadn't discovered that he could throw people into TVs, which he discovered while drunk. Hell, he didn't even do most of the dirty work himself, and instead got Namatame to do it.

Come to think of it, he didn't even control who Namatame's targets were, since he didn't control who showed up on the Midnight Channel. But yet he sent you that threat note about Nanako... Man, a lot of parts of that game's story are really confusing.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Flappy

DISCLAIMER: I haven't touched P4G in weeks so some of my knowledge might be a bit fuzzy.

In my eyes, Adachi isn't anything close to being the main villain in the game. You're led to believe that he's a young, bumbling cop with a love for all things cabbage-related, but he's actually a bit of a dick. He's a 27 year old that thinks he's too good for Inaba and the only reason he's a cop is the fact that he can legally carry a gun. The sexual frustration doesn't exactly help things, either.

Were it not for the fact that he received magical TV Powers upon entering the town, the first murder probably would not have happened in the first place. After all, it was an accident. When you give an asshole access to something like that, it's only natural that he'd find a way to abuse it. "Not gonna give ol' Adachi-baby some lovin'? Bitch! Whore! Into the TV!"

The real culprits are the supernatural entities that decided to judge mankind by using MC, Adachi, and Namatame as examples. The MC and Namatame seem like decent enough people, but Adachi is a narcissistic individual with nothing to lose. What does he care if the world goes to shit and everyone becomes a Shadow?

EDIT: It would've been a smart move on my part to refresh the page before posting this reply. I think @keres and I covered most of the points.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaMisterChief

It should of been Nanako all along

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

P4G goes into the history of him way more from what I've played so far. I love Adachi and thought it was a great twist, I don't think it is a cop out at all.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I think read somewhere they changed it to him at the last minute, so that might explain it (or maybe it was the *true* person that got changed, I can't remember).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It was supposed to be Yosuke. Think about it, he's the one that actually makes more sense.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was supposed to be Yosuke. Think about it, he's the one that actually makes more sense.

Thinking about it...

I've got nothing.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@winternet said:

Hahahah! His motive would be identical to Adachi. "Waaah women walk all over me and I can't get laid because I suck." How would he kill people anyway, bad jokes?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

@winternet said:

Hahahah! His motive would be identical to Adachi. "Waaah women walk all over me and I can't get laid because I suck." How would he kill people anyway, bad jokes?

You clearly have not read my Yosuke fan fiction novel. It's all in there, from chapter 3 to 6.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well I mean he isn't really the bad guy, just the human agent of the true bad guys.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure he is the culprit, but he's not the main villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.