Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

New Game Plus, worth it? (spoiler-ish)

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By m1k3

First off, i love this game. the 80+ hours i had were well spent.

My problem is with the new game plus. I've just got Chie's persona, all the while wondering if i should put down another 80+ hours repeating what i did before. I knew going in that you dont retain your level and you keep your cash from before, but you dont get to keep your weapons, and your social links revert. I dont like how you have to buy back all the high level persona's that you get.

Am i just too early to get all the new game plus perks or is that it?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

The stories behind all the character that you learn through S. Links are all good. But just hearing those stories are basically it. Most people replay just to max all their social links. Nothing really else to do.

Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Intrepid

I'm a completionist freak so I spent a good deal of time on this game.  Is it worth it for you to run it again is really your preference.   You'll have the option of going up against Margaret, going through a whole new set of social links and social link dialogue (ie. those courage related statistics, soccer instead of basketball, etc.), and on a new difficulty if you haven't played on expert from the get go.  I was surprised at some of the changes in "random" events that I didn't see in my first game.  Buying back personas shouldn't be a problem really unless you spent your whole time squandering your funds.  If you do decide to make a new game + though, I don't encourage tossing in Yoshitsune or whatever high level persona you have from the very beginning, the power trip gets old rather quickly.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ouroboros

No not really - Persona 3 has a better New Game then 4 - more stuff carries over and even in the first run theres the extra uber tough dungeon to plow through - and in FES theres The Answer.  I think you can fight Margaret in P4 and fuse that final Persona from the last boss in the true ending but other then that there's not much incentive to play it again.  I suggest picking up P3 and playing if you havent already - it's much harder, for various reasons but its a lot more rewarding and has a lot more to do in it.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By m1k3

Hmmm, if social links and dialogue are really the high point of a new game plus, then i dont think im gonna continue. And i've already maxed most of my social links during the first play through.

My main concern is going through the grind. When it comes to RPGs, grinding doesn't bother me at all, during my first run through i would spend hours grinding until the shawdows on the top floor of dungeons are tiny, and it would be a bitch to do that again.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By endaround

The other thing if you haven't encountered it is death can show up in any chest.  You beat death and you get a characters ultmate weapon.

Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Intrepid

If its your second play through no grind is really necessary.  Your level only determines the limit to persona fusion, but you can still summon higher level ones out of the compendium.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By agent_lost

Well the biggest bonus that you get is accessing all the dialog that need a high level of the 5 stats, so you can eat the food that Chie and Yukiko made in the campout.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you're having fun, then by all means play it again. If not, and it's boring, then screw the extras. Why does it have to be more complicated?

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coughlanio

I'm currently about 10 hours in on Persona 3...I'll let you know what I think about the NG+ in Persona 4 when I get there :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.