New Persona 4 anime trailer

• 77 results
#51 Posted by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -

Looks so awesome, but will it be weird having Souji Seta not say anything except the occasional; "Persona!!" or the name of a persona and sometimes a grunt? Ah whatever, it's so awesome that I won't even think of that! Can't wait for it!!

#52 Edited by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
@Gaff said:

@SoldierG654342@mutha3
I wouldn't call Persona 4 a humorous work, it just executes the tropes inherent to its formula (or genre, if you will) to a better degree than most of its ilk. The actual narrative is pretty standard fare (transfer student, mystery, romantic options, etc, etc), P4 just allows enough time to pass to let the player get attached to the surroundings and characters. And most importantly, lets them initiate contact on most of the occasions. No "I'm going to soliloquize now, whether you wanted to hear it or not, enjoy the unskippable cutscene" - forcing the narrative onto the player.

Uh....no offense, but I fail to see how that mutually excludes it from the moniker of  "humorous work". I get what you're saying, but P4 still obviously has a great sense of humor. The game is often genuinely funny.  That doesn't get in the way of allowing the player to get attached to the surroundings and characters.

Which makes the upcoming adaptation that much more interesting: how much time will they give the audience to get to know the characters before shoving their teenage angst into their faces? Or is it going to be full of service, directly playing off the players' memories of the game?

The latter would be nice, but the former makes for a better story.

Agreed. I really hope this isn't a letter by letter adaptation or Atlus stroking their fans' balls with copious amounts of fanservice(REMEMBER THIS FROM THE GAME GUIZE!?).
#53 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

Agreed. I really hope this isn't a letter by letter adaptation or Atlus stroking their fans' balls with copious amounts of fanservice(REMEMBER THIS FROM THE GAME GUIZE!?).
Personally I hope they do their own interpretation, and don't hold back on certain elements such as romantic pairings, if only to watch the inevitable shitstorm it creates.
#54 Posted by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma said:
@mutha3 said:

Personally I hope they do their own interpretation, and don't hold back on certain elements such as romantic pairings, if only to watch the inevitable shitstorm it creates.
charliexmysteriousfox 4eva

haha, yeah, the shipping wars will be glorious. Whoever it will be(and especially if its someone totally out of left field, like....I dunno.....rumor loving girl) I cannot wait for the ensuing bloodbath...I'm scared they'll go to the stupid non-committal way of hinting affections from all girls towards Charlie and make him oblivious to it like most shitty harem anime, though(oh wait-- "shitty" and "harem anime" is the same thing).
#55 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@animateria said:
@TehFlan said:
@Gaff said:
@endaround said:

@JoshyLee said:

@mutha3 said:
@JoshyLee said:
@Gaff said:
God, the wait is un-bear-able.
That joke was grizzly.
It bearly classifies as a joke.
This is becoming a POLARizing topic.
Can we just PAWS with puns already?
Ok, guys, enough already. We wouldn't want the mods to go bearserk on us. 
I clawn't believe what's happening to this thread.
That last one bearly works, man.
Honeystly, I'm not very good at this.
#56 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11040 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
I'm really curious as to how they are going to handle this tonally. One of the things that was really appealing to me (and made the last act really off-putting) was the fact that P4 seemed to me to be almost a parody of JRPGs and anime. I'm wondering if they are going to preserve that or play it straight. 
Eh, no. Persona 4 is kind of just a well made anime in terms of story, and it falls into a classic JRPG trap with the true ending involving a big bad that is inevitably behind the big bad you thought was the main bad guy. It's certainly a little self-knowing and deliberately anti-cliche, but I wouldn't go as far as to constitute it as a parody.

I kind of want to watch this, but only if they bring back the original US voice actors. Subs aren't exactly my favorite thing in the world.
#57 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
@SoldierG654342 said:
I'm really curious as to how they are going to handle this tonally. One of the things that was really appealing to me (and made the last act really off-putting) was the fact that P4 seemed to me to be almost a parody of JRPGs and anime. I'm wondering if they are going to preserve that or play it straight. 
Eh, no. Persona 4 is kind of just a well made anime in terms of story, and it falls into a classic JRPG trap with the true ending involving a big bad that is inevitably behind the big bad you thought was the main bad guy. It's certainly a little self-knowing and deliberately anti-cliche, but I wouldn't go as far as to constitute it as a parody. I kind of want to watch this, but only if they bring back the original US voice actors. Subs aren't exactly my favorite thing in the world.
If it happens, I think you'll be waiting a while. It would definitely be a nice touch for sure, I think something like that is entirely dependent on how the Anime is first received locally though.

Actually what do I know? I know very little about Anime as it is, they might just bring it other regardless.
#58 Posted by metalsnakezero (2273 posts) -

October 2011 should be renamed Persona 4 month!

#59 Posted by Daveyo520 (6598 posts) -

Can't wait to watch it.

#60 Posted by LordAndrew (14001 posts) -
@spazmaster666 said:
@hedfone said:
they shouldn't have given MC a name
How would that have worked?
The characters should simply call him "bro", "senpai", and "him" throughout the entire anime. That would be fun to watch because I know it would cause great pain to others.
#61 Edited by Rudeboy217 (1760 posts) -

Ohhhh damn, this looks so dope. (Especially the shadow Kanji part)

#62 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -

No "Anime is for jerks" quote posted yet?

#63 Posted by Nexas (623 posts) -

Shadow Kanji looks fabulous. 

#64 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

Wait so if this a movie or tv series? 

#65 Edited by Rudeboy217 (1760 posts) -
@Hector: TV series.
#66 Posted by punkxblaze (2879 posts) -
@TehFlan said:
@animateria said:
@TehFlan said:
@Gaff said:
@endaround said:

@JoshyLee said:

@mutha3 said:
@JoshyLee said:
@Gaff said:
God, the wait is un-bear-able.
That joke was grizzly.
It bearly classifies as a joke.
This is becoming a POLARizing topic.
Can we just PAWS with puns already?
Ok, guys, enough already. We wouldn't want the mods to go bearserk on us. 
I clawn't believe what's happening to this thread.
That last one bearly works, man.
Honeystly, I'm not very good at this.
I fucking hate all of you. Bear joke.
#67 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
I guess people are just letting the joke die.
#68 Posted by natetodamax (19141 posts) -

Hype has been acquired.

#69 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
@hedfone said:

they shouldn't have given MC a name

They pretty much have to, and officially he has a name already anyway (Souji Seta), although they aren't using that one in this production.  He'll be Yu Narukami.  Which one is real?  It doesn't matter since just like in the game, it's a different experience for each medium.  
#70 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -
@TehFlan said:
@JJOR64 said:
I guess people are just letting the joke die.
My guess is people aren't saying it in here is because it's about Persona.  I still see people use it in other non-Persona anime threads.
#71 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -

looks excellent. didnt finish P4 as gameplay its just too similar to P3 but this will be a great way to experience the story

#72 Posted by DocHaus (1286 posts) -

Maybe if they ever do an English dub they will shout "CHARLIE TUNOKU" into the mic real loud every time the protagonist's name is mentioned.

Other than that, I'll probably watch it. Just hope it's more interesting than that other Persona series they animated.
#73 Edited by bassman2112 (806 posts) -
#74 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

Yes.

#75 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

By the way, MC was named in the manga.

Anyway, I totally forgot this was a thing until just now. Still way interested.

#76 Edited by metalsnakezero (2273 posts) -

Got some screenshots

Get Bent!

The....power....

Origami crane?

Check out my phone.

Yukiko and Chie in the rain :D

Where is my coffee!?

First steps in to the TV

Looks like they will be leaving this in the anime

slice!

Too manly
#77 Posted by AxleStukov (114 posts) -

And now for the only person Yosuke ever recognized on the T.V.

Rise is thrown in on the 23rd, so expect a new full color trailer then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.