Okay, so did anyone actually believe Naoto was a guy?

• 51 results
#1 Edited by Ihatespaces (44 posts) -

Like, when they first introduced her, did anybody look at her and say "Yeah, that's definitely a guy."

When she was first introduced (before they said "Oh hey look at that strange BOY wonder what that BOY is doing here") I assumed she was a girl, but when they started going on about how she was a dude, I just assumed she was another androgynous anime teen, yet I had a hint of doubt up until she actually came into the plot that she was a girl.

#2 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

I thought it was just a Japanese thing that made it look like she was a girl when she was suppose to be a guy.

#3 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Ihatespaces said:
" Like, when they first introduced her, did anybody look at her and say "Yeah, that's definitely a guy."

When she was first introduced (before they said "Oh hey look at that strange BOY wonder what that BOY is doing here") I assumed she was a girl, but when they started going on about how she was a dude, I just assumed she was another androgynous anime teen, yet I had a hint of doubt up until she actually came into the plot that she was a girl.

"
Naoto, really doesn't look that different from most anime sissyboys.

I think the real reason people figure out Naoto is a girl, is because her voice actor is really,really bad at doing a male voice.
#4 Posted by Moztacular (468 posts) -

You should think about renaming the title of this thread, since not everyone will have your mad deduction skills. Not really a big deal because your point is well made, it's almost impossible to think Naoto is a guy after one or two lines of dialogue go by.

#5 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

You know what I did believe at first?

Naoto was the killer.

#6 Posted by Ihatespaces (44 posts) -
@moztacular said:
" You should think about renaming the title of this thread, since not everyone will have your mad deduction skills. Not really a big deal because your point is well made, it's almost impossible to think Naoto is a guy after one or two lines of dialogue go by. "
Yeah, I was thinking about that while making the thread, but I couldn't really come up with a way of conveying what the thread is about without spoiling it. Any ideas?
#7 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

No of course not. Don't be silly. I'm not that stupid... although if Naoto was a guy, then that would severely change everything then.

#8 Posted by Moztacular (468 posts) -
@dbz1995: haha that'd be wild if she was.  I personally think they should have had her join you much earlier in the game; they could have had her whole dungeon and plot reveal happen even before you get Kanji and it wouldn't have seemed as torturous that you have to put up with all the characters not knowing the rather obvious truth. Though those who have pointed out that they just figured Naoto was a typical japanese sissy boy have a good point as well!
#9 Posted by Ihatespaces (44 posts) -
@Snipzor: In all honesty, that would probably have been a bigger twist than what they went with. By the point when they finally figured it out in the game, it was already glaringly obvious. Having it turn out that Naoto was a guy would've been hilarious.
#10 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

I was sure she was a girl at first but the game just kept pushing pushing that she was male so I started to believe it.

#11 Posted by Moztacular (468 posts) -
@Ihatespaces:  I think its fine the way it is, it's really not a huge huge spoiler, though the game takes its sweet time revealing the truth so that's the only reason it would cross my mind to rephrase it. could just say  "Did anyone actually believe Naoto was a....[spoiler]" On second thought that doesnt look any better! screw it!
#12 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Ihatespaces: And Naoto's subplot would still fit, but rather it would be about how he doesn't conform to normative gender roles and has been downplayed because of it. All the fears would still be there, but it would be that much better, and the family whatchamacallits would only be slightly different.
#13 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Ihatespaces said:
" @Snipzor: In all honesty, that would probably have been a bigger twist than what they went with. By the point when they finally figured it out in the game, it was already glaringly obvious. Having it turn out that Naoto was a guy would've been hilarious. "
I think it would be better if they just hired a better voice actor for Naoto.

The only one of VA I didn't like.:(
#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I just thought she was a guy with a helluva girly voice when I was playing.  Didn't think otherwise, 'cause everyone else referred to her as a him.

#15 Edited by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

When I heard him(her) speak I just immediately assumed that they cast a woman to play his(her) character, as is common with younger male characters in anime dubs. So I didn't even give it a second thought, I just thought he(she) was kind of feminine on purpose.

Also about the spoiler tag stuff in the OP:

#16 Posted by Ihatespaces (44 posts) -
@moztacular: Lol, well thanks for trying. I hope I don't actually spoil it for anybody, I absolutely despise spoilers myself (and I actually had the true killer spoiled for me, which pissed me off to no end), so the idea of spoiling something for someone else doesn't sit too well with me.

@Snipzor: Well, I don't really think of it like that, I think that if Naoto had been a guy the focus would've been on how he doesn't want to be treated like a child by his superiors, which is what seemed to be happening until the whole "HE'S A GIRL" thing.
#17 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Ihatespaces said:

@Snipzor: Well, I don't really think of it like that, I think that if Naoto had been a guy the focus would've been on how he doesn't want to be treated like a child by his superiors, which is what seemed to be happening until the whole "HE'S A GIRL" thing. "
But the "he's a child'' stuff has more to do with her being never able to become a detective like the ones she admired in the novels she read as a kid.  The shadow itself says something along the lines of''Even though you'll one day grow up to be an adult, you'll never become a man"' Naoto's reason to become a detective at such a young age was fueled by her desire  to be taken seriously as a woman(Japan, ya know?) If they made her a dude it would lose that little bit of social commentary and Naoto's social link also mostly deals with her being a woman.

I think a far more efficient fix would be to just change the VA.
#18 Edited by Ihatespaces (44 posts) -
@mutha3: Hmm, I suppose I see where you're coming from. But the same could be said whether she was a male or female, either way she's still going to be treated as a child. That being said, the fact that she was a girl did add a level of complexity to her that I appreciated.

Didn't make her my favorite character, but I do think it was the better decision in the long run.

And I agree with you on the VA for the most part, though I liked her voice when she didn't have to hide it anymore. But she failed miserably at trying to sound like a guy.
#19 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Ihatespaces said:

"  And I agree with you on the VA for the most part, though I liked her voice when she didn't have to hide it anymore. But she failed miserably at trying to sound like a guy. "

You know what makes it even more frustrating? Her japanese counterpart actually sounded like a boy while talking.

Atlus did a great job with the VA in this game in general and I feel most voices are superior to their Japanese counterpart.....But, they really dropped the ball there on Naoto.
#20 Posted by ch3burashka (5249 posts) -

The fact that Vinny and Jeff made fun of him for pretending to be a her from the get-go didn't help the game sell it.

#21 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

I had a gut feeling Naoto was female. The fact that everyone else kept referring to her as a he and the feminine looks and voice just told me "She's female alright." I wasn't surprised when you do find out. However, I did wanted to know why she disguised herself as male though. Which thankfully the social link with her cleared up a good bit.

#22 Posted by MoTheHawk (94 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" The fact that Vinny and Jeff made fun of him for pretending to be a her from the get-go didn't help the game sell it. "
This.  Literally the first time they lay eyes on her, Vinny says "Yeah that's not a dude."  Made me feel like an idiot for not figuring it out myself.  I always suspected it, but I just wrote off the idea of a sissy feminine-looking and sounding boy as typical Japanese anime craziness.
#23 Posted by ChrisTaran (1676 posts) -

Yeah, I totally thought it was a guy at first.  I had no reason to think they were doing a gender switch thing.  I did however know that the voice actor was female, but they often do females for younger males in cartoons/anime/games, so I didn't think much of it.

#24 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but in the original Japanese version, Naoto had a much more masculine voice actor, which SORT OF helped in making her seem... male, although it was still somewhat obvious.
#25 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Shinri said:
" I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but in the original Japanese version, Naoto had a much more masculine voice actor, which SORT OF helped in making her seem... male, although it was still somewhat obvious. "
Huh? why? 

Naoto looks manly by some anime standards......I mean look at this:

Or ya know, the entire Magna Carta cast.
#26 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @Shinri said:
" I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but in the original Japanese version, Naoto had a much more masculine voice actor, which SORT OF helped in making her seem... male, although it was still somewhat obvious. "
Huh? why? 

Or ya know, the entire Magna Carta cast. "

Lucius is extremely manly, good sir.
#27 Posted by ashogo (944 posts) -
@Darkstar614 said:
" When I heard him(her) speak I just immediately assumed that they cast a woman to play his(her) character, as is common with younger male characters in anime dubs. So I didn't even give it a second thought, I just thought he(she) was kind of feminine on purpose."
Same. I know enough about anime that I just assumed it was a really effeminate, pretty boy, elite detective. The plot twist actually surprised me.
#28 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

i totally did. It killed my boner when she turned out to be a girl

#29 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Shinri said:
" @mutha3 said:
" @Shinri said:
Huh? why? 

Or ya know, the entire Magna Carta cast. "
Lucius is extremely manly, good sir. "
Yeah, look at those hips Kenshiro's got nothing on those:P

#30 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I didn't think twice that it might actually be a girl. I just thought it was a very feminine guy...

#31 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

No.  You'd have to be insanely stupid.

#32 Posted by devotfeige (117 posts) -

I wasn't convinced at first, but the longer the charade went on, the more I was unsure. Right about the point I finally said "fuck it, I don't have any idea anymore" came the big reveal.

#33 Posted by obcdexter (650 posts) -
@Cwaff said:
" I didn't think twice that it might actually be a girl. I just thought it was a very feminine guy... "
Same here. Why? Cause the Japanese pull this off all the time.
#34 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

Girl, it would have been confusing in Japanese since a lot of Voice Actor's are female, whether or not the character is female or male.

But the English voice actor gave it away quick.

#35 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@obcdexter said:

" @Cwaff said:

" I didn't think twice that it might actually be a girl. I just thought it was a very feminine guy... "
Same here. Why? Cause the Japanese pull this off all the time. "
To be fair,  modern fashion for Japanese dudes look pretty feminine to western males in the first place.
#36 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

In the Japanese version of Persona 4 Naoto's Japanese voice actress, Romi Paku, had a very boyish sounding voice but can pass as a girl voice. This helped make Naoto being a boy to everyone till it was reveled. In the English version Naoto was voiced by Susan Dalian and she sound a bit boyish but still sounding like a girl which, for most of us, gave away Naoto's gender from the start. 

When I watched the Japanese version of the game I was convinced that Naoto was a boy from the beginning so going in to the English version I know it was a girl.

#37 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Probably conservatives.  A-oooo.

#38 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

It was pretty early on in the game when I was 90% sure he was a she.

#39 Posted by JackFrost (12 posts) -

Y'know what the first thing I thought when I saw Naoto? 

"I'd tap that."

So yeah, I knew it was a girl.

#40 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
 I think the real reason people figure out Naoto is a girl, is because her voice actor is really,really bad at doing a male voice. "
I was about to give the same response. In the English version it's blatantly obvious that she is a girl because of the clearly female voice actress. This lead to several facepalms during the ER.
#41 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (247 posts) -

She was almost as convincing as "Mr. Tojamura" (Twin Peaks)    
#42 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

Seemed like a regular male anime character so I didn't really find it strange.

#43 Posted by x_XJules (303 posts) -

I did the same thing as a lot of you. I totally thought Naoto was a girl and when the game kept insisting on a boy, I assumed it was just the androgyny thing.  

Part of me was really hoping that Naoto was a boy, that way Kanji would be gay, lol. Gay Kanji = my favorite. 

#44 Posted by Jazz (2321 posts) -

Nope, it was pretty clear s/he was a she.

#45 Posted by Gamer_152 (14110 posts) -

I believed Naoto was a guy, just a slightly androgynous one.

#46 Posted by Addfwyn (1947 posts) -

I kind of did, but I played the game in Japanese originally, so the VA maybe did a better job of sounding like a boy.  Especially the mannerisms the VA used, all very masculine sounding (and things most girls wouldn't say in Japanese).  It worked better in the Japanese context I think. 

I thought hers looks could have kinda gone either way, but the voice had me thinking she was a guy for at least a while.

#47 Posted by Vasta_Narada (458 posts) -

I just assumed Naoto was a guy because they kept saying she was. I complained that the VA was so feminine, though. I watch anime on a semi-regular basis, so I'm used to females voicing guys, but I was instantly against Naoto's voice until they said she was a girl.

#48 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I assumed that it was a boy because, you know, most anime voice actors that voice male children are women. 

I also initially assumed that Naoto was like, 7. 

So that may also have contributed.

#49 Edited by SpunkyDragonwithDeadlyLegs (13 posts) -

I played with the idea that she was really a girl up to the point they revealed surprise surprise she is. but i have to be honest i've seen animes of similar characters. works easier in Japanese because of the boku versus atashi but I think the english actress made it really hard to think she was voicing a guy even a really girly gay guy.

#50 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1821 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Or ya know, the entire Magna Carta cast.

You know, people like to get mad at Hyung-Tae Kim's characters, but at least he's fairly egalitarian with the asinine designs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.