P4 Anime getting English dub

#1 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

http://www.animevice.com/news/persona-4-the-animation-english-dub-imminent-voice-cast-tbd/5603/

So, yeah. They're going to dub it, although we don't know if they're getting the original VAs back. My only worry is that if they can't, it may not bode well for The Golden and The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. Those VAs have become so ingrained into my mind as the voices for these characters that I don't know if I could watch without it.

#2 Posted by Chet_Rippo (235 posts) -

Yeah I've been watching the Subbed ones and the japanese voices sound so weird. But yeah, how can they do the games without the VAs? Might end up messed up.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

English dub has ruined a great many things for me in the past. It's been my experience that the English VAs usually have no investment in the characters they've voicing and everything comes out either halfassed or overdone. That's not to say there aren't exceptions but I prefer undubbed whenever possible.

#4 Posted by Chet_Rippo (235 posts) -

@Ravenlight: That's true, usually they are terrible. But after playing the game in English doesn't it seem weird to have the anime in japanese?

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@MrAristocrates said:

http://www.animevice.com/news/persona-4-the-animation-english-dub-imminent-voice-cast-tbd/5603/

So, yeah. They're going to dub it, although we don't know if they're getting the original VAs back. My only worry is that if they can't, it may not bode well for The Golden and The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. Those VAs have become so ingrained into my mind as the voices for these characters that I don't know if I could watch without it.

Sentai and Atlus are independent of each other and go through different processes to dub their works. Sentai's ability or lack thereof to bring in the game's English voices does not have any direct correlation to Atlus's ability to retain the actors for The Golden or P4U.

#6 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Teddie's voice in the Japanese anime is fucking terrible. God damn. Worst part of the show.

With that out of the way, I'm sure they could get most of the voice actors back. The voice of Yosuke is a veteran, so I'm certain he will be back. Same with Rise and Kanji...

Who knows though. I'll wait and see. The only character voices I remember really well are Kanji, Yosuke, and Adachi

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Vadis said:

@Ravenlight: That's true, usually they are terrible. But after playing the game in English doesn't it seem weird to have the anime in japanese?

It is weird! I'm torn between my aversion to dubbed anime and my fond Endurance Run memories!

I haven't yet had a chance to watch the P4 anime so maybe I'll be cool with it. Who knows?

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4678 posts) -

I was not planning on watching it regardless because I know the story already but i'll extra not watch it if lacks the original voice actors. If that makes any sense.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -

Basically, if they don't get the original voice actors back, I'd rather just watch it in Japanese with subtitles, for as elitist and weaboo-ish as it sounds. Better to not entirely understand what is being said than understand what is being said... poorly.

#10 Edited by el_tajij (712 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Basically, if they don't get the original voice actors back, I'd rather just watch it in Japanese with subtitles.

I'm with you on that one.

Hopefully they're saying 'might not be able to get original voice actors back' as a standard precaution. The only problems I'd imagine is some of those VA's must have really, really tight schedules, like Laura Bailey (Rise), so I'd imagine it's just a case of timing.

Edit: Having thought about it though, I hope most of all they get Yosuke, Naoto, Teddie, Dojima and Nanako back. The voice acting was all-round superb from the entire cast but I feel like they had the most 'distinctive' voices. I feel other voice actors could fill in for the rest of the cast pretty well and it wouldn't hurt the feeling too much. I actually feel Chie is, so far, a better written character in the anime than in the game, so she sort of feels different anyway.

Edit 2: Part of me just wants to hear Yosuke say 'LET'S DO THIS, JIRAYA!' in the anime......

#11 Posted by metalsnakezero (2297 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I was not planning on watching it regardless because I know the story already but i'll extra not watch it if lacks the original voice actors. If that makes any sense.

I guess I understand that. Its all about would you like to see stories told in a different media. Now about the dubbing I hope Sentai will do the right thing and get the original English cast since it'll make series more attractive to buyers.

#12 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I wonder who will voice the main character 

inb4 it's Nolan North

#13 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (748 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.