Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 3's final boss better than P4's (SPOILERS)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well, I just got done with the final, final boss of Persona 4 (Izanami) and I've got to say, I greatly preferred Persona 3's final boss (Nyx).  The whole situation leading up to that point with Strega was awesome and the fight itself was as well.  The music was epic, the boss modifying its combat by changing arcanas and saying a life quote attributed to that specific arcana was well done and after you defeat the boss, the way that all your teammates and your max social link people help you is, in my opinion, way better than how Persona 4 executed it.

So for those who have completed both of these games, which boss do you think was the best?

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By eirikr

First time through, yeah, Nyx is pretty awesome.

Any other time, and all those arcana changes are just incredibly tiresome. Thankfully, Izanami's a lot more to the point.

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mechabolic

True to a point, but I actually liked the part when you fight Izanami and the music swells up to an orchestrated version of the main theme.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

I think the actual social link think was cooler in Persona 4.  In Persona 3 it happened when you were sitting in the Velvet Room which was kind of lame.  In Persona 4, you felt like Rocky with Mickey screaming in your ear "Get up you son of a bitch, cause Mickey loves you". 

The part where you get to use your teammates life force to kill Nyx is pretty awesome though.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @EvilTwin said:
    " I think the actual social link think was cooler in Persona 4.  In Persona 3 it happened when you were sitting in the Velvet Room which was kind of lame.  In Persona 4, you felt like Rocky with Mickey screaming in your ear "Get up you son of a bitch, cause Mickey loves you".  The part where you get to use your teammates life force to kill Nyx is pretty awesome though. "
    The social link part where you're just sitting in the Velvet Room only happens in Persona 4, doesn't it?  In Persona 3, the max. social links appear in the final battle when your character is all alone against the core of Nyx.  They motivate him and, like you said, your teammates make the main character regain his HP to be able to pull off the final move.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin
    @FluxWaveZ: In Persona 4, you're "killed" by Izanami, and your max social links motivate you to get up and summon Izanagi-no-Okami.  In Persona 3, Igor summons you to the Velvet Room and shows how your orb of truth or whatever is being powered up by your social links.  The part where your teammates give you their life to kill Nyx is awesome, but unfortunately it's only your teammates and not your social links that have anything to do with that.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @EvilTwin: Really?  It seems that I've forgotten that part.  I guess I'm confused because in Persona 4 you go in the Velvet Room to receive the Orb of Truth from Igor via your Power Shards...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

Yeah, I know that there's a spoiler warning already, but for my response, DOUBLE UBER-SPOILER WARNING.)

Personally, I found Persona 4's end boss more satisfying.  Nyx is an incredible fight to be sure, but I just felt that Izanami had more presence, and the fight against her is more poignant from a story standpoint.  It also doesn't hurt that you can have full control of your party when you fight Izanami.  Watching Aigis repeatedly kill herself because her attacks kept reflecting back on her  was less than entertaining, let me tell ya.

Then again, I guess I'm biased in this since I found the story and characters in general to be much more realized in P4.  P3's story was fascinating and the characters were deeper than most I'd seen in RPGs in years, but then there are the sticking points like Ikkutsuki coming out of left field and revealing himself to be an insane cultist.  The revelations about Adachi were more telegraphed and don't come with the same amount of shock, but his actions and behavior actually made sense from a character standpoint since he's the definition of a sociopath.

allhailthetv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By allhailthetv

Then, during the battle, the S. Links show up.

Izanami was better. Moonless Gown + Party members that I've revived going before I can change their tactics = not fun. Besides, Nyx really dragged on. Not only did you have to kill her 14 times, the last form took ages...

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EvilTwin
    @FluxWaveZ: Yeah, I guess it's not an orb of truth in Persona 3, just a "mass of energy".  Another thing I just realized is that a lot of the max social link stuff in the final battle is voiced in Persona 4.  Which is always nice.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: Don't get me wrong, I preferred P4 over P3 in general, but I felt that P3's final battle was more epic.  But I guess P3's boss battle wasn't that bad, I guess I was just underwhelmed.

@EvilTwin: Right, the voice acting does give it more of a significance.

And allhailthetv, now that I think about it, I think I found Nyx to be more frustrated and I just dismissed that because I had to repeat Persona 4's final battle 3 times today because I suck.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

I felt completely the opposite. The final boss in 3 to be completely boring and just take forever in a bad way. I enjoyed the P4  boss far more.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @pause422 said:
    " I felt completely the opposite. The final boss in 3 to be completely boring and just take forever in a bad way. I enjoyed the P4  boss far more. "
    But apart from the actual gameplay of the fight, you didn't feel that the boss battle was more serious, more epic? 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " I felt completely the opposite. The final boss in 3 to be completely boring and just take forever in a bad way. I enjoyed the P4  boss far more. "
    But apart from the actual gameplay of the fight, you didn't feel that the boss battle was more serious, more epic?  "
    Not really.  Both games played for high stakes, but Izanami was always there from the very start.  She was the enabler behind the game's events, and it was ultimately because of her that Adachi killed Mayumi and Saki and Namatame got suckered into nearly killing a whole series of people when he intended to help them.  Theatrics aside, Nyx is very much a more standard final boss, and even with her defeat, the game wasn't quite over, and yet at that point it was impossble to lose.   (See:  FFX's Sin leading into Yu Yevon for similar antics.)  In Persona 4, Izanami is it.  There is no greater villain behind the curtain, no monster of ultimate destruction, so even when the game is won and all that's left is to deliver the final blow, it's delivered to Izanami herself.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @pause422 said:
    But apart from the actual gameplay of the fight, you didn't feel that the boss battle was more serious, more epic?  "
    Not really.  Both games played for high stakes, but Izanami was always there from the very start.  She was the enabler behind the game's events, and it was ultimately because of her that Adachi killed Mayumi and Saki and Namatame got suckered into nearly killing a whole series of people when he intended to help them.  Theatrics aside, Nyx is very much a more standard final boss, and even with her defeat, the game wasn't quite over, and yet at that point it was impossble to lose.   (See:  FFX's Sin leading into Yu Yevon for similar antics.)  In Persona 4, Izanami is it.  There is no greater villain behind the curtain, no monster of ultimate destruction, so even when the game is won and all that's left is to deliver the final blow, it's delivered to Izanami herself. "
    Even if Izanami was "behind the scenes" the entire time, her actual character was revealed extremely late in the game and therefore, in my eyes, was not important as the coming of Nyx.  In Persona 3, Pharos warns you of Nyx way before you have to actually face her, so you find yourself preparing and counting the days before you'll have to face this godly monster.  Izanami was revealed very quickly, without any warning behind it, and you immediately entered the last dungeon to go and face her.  Adachi, for example, was a character that was present since the beginning of the game and therefore the player has more of an emotional response when Adachi's revealed to be the criminal.  That situation was much like when Ikutsuki was revealed to be evil in Persona 3, it was a character that was supposed to be on your side but was in fact against you.

Maybe if the gas attendant was more present throughout the game than occasionally being near the gas station as being an NPC to talk to I would have found her reveal to be the master mind behind everything to be more important.  To me, it seems almost as if the beginning part of the game where you give the handshake to the gas attendant and the ending with Izanami was rushed/added in.  It's as if Ame-no-Sagiri was supposed to be the final boss instead.  They barely even explain the link between Izanami and Ame-no-Sagiri, there's just a hint that it was created by Izanami and that's all.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @pause422 said:
    Not really.  Both games played for high stakes, but Izanami was always there from the very start.  She was the enabler behind the game's events, and it was ultimately because of her that Adachi killed Mayumi and Saki and Namatame got suckered into nearly killing a whole series of people when he intended to help them.  Theatrics aside, Nyx is very much a more standard final boss, and even with her defeat, the game wasn't quite over, and yet at that point it was impossble to lose.   (See:  FFX's Sin leading into Yu Yevon for similar antics.)  In Persona 4, Izanami is it.  There is no greater villain behind the curtain, no monster of ultimate destruction, so even when the game is won and all that's left is to deliver the final blow, it's delivered to Izanami herself. "
    Even if Izanami was "behind the scenes" the entire time, her actual character was revealed extremely late in the game and therefore, in my eyes, was not important as the coming of Nyx.  In Persona 3, Pharos warns you of Nyx way before you have to actually face her, so you find yourself preparing and counting the days before you'll have to face this godly monster.  Izanami was revealed very quickly, without any warning behind it, and you immediately entered the last dungeon to go and face her.  Adachi, for example, was a character that was present since the beginning of the game and therefore the player has more of an emotional response when Adachi's revealed to be the criminal.  That situation was much like when Ikutsuki was revealed to be evil in Persona 3, it was a character that was supposed to be on your side but was in fact against you.Maybe if the gas attendant was more present throughout the game than occasionally being near the gas station as being an NPC to talk to I would have found her reveal to be the master mind behind everything to be more important. "
    Pharos warns you about Nyx, yes, but Izanami was there from the very, very beginning, whether you knew it or not.  When it got toward the end of the game and my controller rumbled during the flashback of the moment the gas station attendant and Souji shake hands, I honestly stopped and stared at my controller for about fifteen seconds.  The answers as to why were right there the entire time, right there, and Izanami covered her tracks completely until the very end.

But even so, there were hints.  The way the gas station attetndant only appears in the shopping district on rainy days.  When you talk to him early on, he mentions the rumor about the Midnight Channel, and later in the game grows more enigmatic.  The game never slaps you in the face with it, but that's a good thing because we were never meant to suspect he was somehow the villain.  Even at the start of the game, the character had no portrait, leading one to believe that he serves no purpose in the story aside from introducing the possibility of part-time jobs.  Seeing the gas station attendant's red-eyed portrait stunned me, just as the controller rumble had.

Nyx was, by contrast, a known quantity.  The only real emotionally wrenching part about that boss is that the Nyx Avatar is the former Ryoji, but by this point, all of the characters have come to accept that the Ryoji they know is long gone, and so they have no qualms about taking Nyx down.  Of course, by the time you fight Izanami, all of the characters also have no qualms about taking her down, but the roots that led to this battle are far more personal in nature, as was the investigation from the start.  It took the P3 characters significantly longer to truly get their acts together and actually care about what they were fighting for instead of going along with it out of perceived obligation.

And yes, Adachi does fill the same role as Ikkutsuki as the supposedly helpful character that's actually a villain, but Adachi was a calculating and truly evil person who was aware of who he was.  He could wield a Persona and never had to face his true self because he knew and accepted the fact that he was a sick freak, and he toyed with the investigation team because he liked playing his little game with them.  Ikkusuki was just a lunatic zealot with connections in high places (and a penchant for terrible jokes) and was done away with in a cutscene.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: Adachi was definitely a better villain than Ikkutsuki, much because of the reasons you stated.  But I guess it was those "hints" that I wanted more of to feel that Izanami's revelation was important.  But now that you mention the gas attendant appears only on rainy days, and that I remember that she does mention the rumor about the Midnight Channel early on, it does feel rather surprising that that simple person you meet in the beginning of the game and that you can randomly talk to throughout the course of the game turns out to be behind everything.

I guess I feel as if you could just cut the whole scene with the gas attendant in the beginning and then cut the scene of him turning out to be Izanami and the only thing that would effect is not clearing up some of the remaining mysteries.  Any other scene that is significant to the story, except for some of the characters' kidnappings, could probably not be cut out because that would probably make something else in the story make no sense.  I feel as though more presence of the gas attendant throughout the story would have rectified that, maybe even actually having a part-time job working at the gas station; every time you would go there you would talk with that gas attendant and the dialogue would bring potential hints and could act as foreshadowing.

What I liked about Nyx is that you knew it was coming, it didn't happen immediately like Izanami with the player going "wtf!?".  Nyx was like an impending doom that you were going to have to face on a certain day, giving that consideration as you prepared for that day but Izanami happened so suddenly and you had to face her on the exact same day of her revelation, there was basically no time to prepare or to "fear" her coming.  With Persona 3, when the days to Nyx's arrival were counting down, I felt I was getting closer to the end of it all.

But, thinking back on it, the gas attendant's revelation was not as bad as I think, I suppose.  On the back of my mind the entire time I was playing the game I remembered that the controller had rumbled when I had that handshake with the gas attendant in the beginning of the game and that Nanako came back from the bathroom, observing that the main character looked sick.  Having all that be connected together by Izanami was pretty cool, and I also looked at my controller when that flashback happened and the rumble happened again going "Oh, man..." :P  So yeah, I think it could have been executed better, but thinking back on it, I guess it was a very important moment in the game.  (I wonder if with that I'm contradicting myself in this comment...  Oh well. >_>)

Edit: I found this blog post on Destructoid that kind of states some of my thought on the endings.  Looking back on this thread, I'm happy I'm not the only one who had issues with how P4 ended, heh...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Hailinel: Adachi was definitely a better villain than Ikkutsuki, much because of the reasons you stated.  But I guess it was those "hints" that I wanted more of to feel that Izanami's revelation was important.  But now that you mention the gas attendant appears only on rainy days, and that I remember that she does mention the rumor about the Midnight Channel early on, it does feel rather surprising that that simple person you meet in the beginning of the game and that you can randomly talk to throughout the course of the game turns out to be behind everything.

I guess I feel as if you could just cut the whole scene with the gas attendant in the beginning and then cut the scene of him turning out to be Izanami and the only thing that would effect is not clearing up some of the remaining mysteries.  Any other scene that is significant to the story, except for some of the characters' kidnappings, could probably not be cut out because that would probably make something else in the story make no sense.  I feel as though more presence of the gas attendant throughout the story would have rectified that, maybe even actually having a part-time job working at the gas station; every time you would go there you would talk with that gas attendant and the dialogue would bring potential hints and could act as foreshadowing.

What I liked about Nyx is that you knew it was coming, it didn't happen immediately like Izanami with the player going "wtf!?".  Nyx was like an impending doom that you were going to have to face on a certain day, giving that consideration as you prepared for that day but Izanami happened so suddenly and you had to face her on the exact same day of her revelation, there was basically no time to prepare or to "fear" her coming.  With Persona 3, when the days to Nyx's arrival were counting down, I felt I was getting closer to the end of it all.

But, thinking back on it, the gas attendant's revelation was not as bad as I think, I suppose.  On the back of my mind the entire time I was playing the game I remembered that the controller had rumbled when I had that handshake with the gas attendant in the beginning of the game and that Nanako came back from the bathroom, observing that the main character looked sick.  Having all that be connected together by Izanami was pretty cool, and I also looked at my controller when that flashback happened and the rumble happened again going "Oh, man..." :P  So yeah, I think it could have been executed better, but thinking back on it, I guess it was a very important moment in the game.  (I wonder if with that I'm contradicting myself in this comment...  Oh well. >_>)

Edit: I found this blog post on Destructoid that kind of states some of my thought on the endings.  Looking back on this thread, I'm happy I'm not the only one who had issues with how P4 ended, heh... "
    There was more foreshadowing than this though, and more than I had stated in my previous post.  You remember the lecture on the legend of Izanagi and Izanami during the class trip?  Persona 3 had a very similar lecture on the nature of the tarot.  It's not something that you're ever quizzed on, but rather is supposed to hint at things to come.  And while it's not as obvious to most westerners (a friend of mine actually pointed this out), the Personas that the other party members have are figures that play some role in the legend, though the game never came out and said it because we got what was essentially the Cliff's Notes version.  There are enough hints scattered throughout the game that it pretty much does everything it can to hint that Izanami is somewhere out there without pointing a blinking neon arrow at the gas station attendant.

And as for not having time to "fear" Izanami's coming, fear isn't the predominant emotion that Persona 4 evokes.  In Persona 3, there's a sense of dread coursing through the entire game, from the earliest parts up until just prior to Nyx's arrival.  Persona 4 on the other hand is a mystery.  The characters take a proactive approach in the case from the start because they don't feel that the police are doing a good job, an idea jump-started when it's discovered that you somehow gained the ability to enter televisions.  They're more intent on solving the mystery than they are fighting for the sake of the world.  It's just that the truth turned out to be more than it appeared at first, and that Izanami played Adachi, Namatame and Souji like a trio of fiddles.

This isn't to say that I don't find Nyx impressive at all, because I do.  She was a pretty epic boss encounter, but in terms of lead-up, general plotting, characterization and the actual boss fight itself, I found Izanami to be much more satisfying.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nyx is an epic, but mostly tedious and overdone boss fight. I haven't played P4 (but I have spoiled myself on most of it), but Izanami is supposedly less tedious.

However, I am going to have to side with Flux WaveZ on this one. I feel the same way about the true ending of P4 as I feel about The Answer. It may have answered some things, but the plot would have been stronger without it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: I indeed remember both lectures for the games.  I didn't think of them as foreshadowing but now that you mention, it did serve a purpose on hinting at what would come next.  And if all the Personas that the other party members have served a role in the story of Izanagi/Izanami, that would be very impressive.  Too bad they didn't explain more of it in the game, though...

Maybe if I play through the game again I'll detect more hints of the gas attendant being suspicious or something.  It just felt to me as if they could have revealed in the end any random NPC and have that person revealed to be Izanami.  Although, I suppose the gas attendant was the only one that the main character has physical contact with and the controller rumbled at the moment of that handshake to hint at its significance...

And I fully agree with your explanation of Persona 4 being a mystery.  I guess that's why there was no build-up to Izanami's reveal as knowing she was coming because it's all about reveal and not anticipation. 

Oh, but one thing I found strange with Izanami's boss battle; when she uses that "thousand curse" attack or something and your teammates sacrifice themselves one by one for the main character (which was really cool), and eventually ending up in the main character falling to that attack, I felt as if only the main character was in danger of dying and that the other teammates who also got hit by that same attack had just dissapeared momentarily with that scene with him lying and seemingly about to die.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Nyx is an epic, but mostly tedious and overdone boss fight. I haven't played P4 (but I have spoiled myself on most of it), but Izanami is supposedly less tedious. However, I am going to have to side with Flux WaveZ on this one. I feel the same way about the true ending of P4 as I feel about The Answer. It may have answered some things, but the plot would have been stronger without it. "
    You might feel differently if you actually play the game, as opposed to just reading up on it.

@FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Hailinel: I indeed remember both lectures for the games.  I didn't think of them as foreshadowing but now that you mention, it did serve a purpose on hinting at what would come next.  And if all the Personas that the other party members have served a role in the story of Izanagi/Izanami, that would be very impressive.  Too bad they didn't explain more of it in the game, though...Maybe if I play through the game again I'll detect more hints of the gas attendant being suspicious or something.  It just felt to me as if they could have revealed in the end any random NPC and have that person revealed to be Izanami.  Although, I suppose the gas attendant was the only one that the main character has physical contact with and the controller rumbled at the moment of that handshake to hint at its significance... And I fully agree with your explanation of Persona 4 being a mystery.  I guess that's why there was no build-up to Izanami's reveal as knowing she was coming because it's all about reveal and not anticipation.  Oh, but one thing I found strange with Izanami's boss battle; when she uses that "thousand curse" attack or something and your teammates sacrifice themselves one by one for the main character (which was really cool), and eventually ending up in the main character falling to that attack, I felt as if only the main character was in danger of dying and that the other teammates who also got hit by that same attack had just dissapeared momentarily with that scene with him lying and seemingly about to die. "

We can't really see what happened to the other characters after they take the attack meant for him, but it's likely that they ended up in similar fog-filled voids.  However, the power of the main character's S. Links gave him the strength to pull himself out.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ArbitraryWater: I do feel differently about The Answer though because it was so detached from the ending of The Journey that it did feel a lot like filler.  As if Atlus went "Woops, we forgot to explain some stuff."

@Hailine
    l: But that's kind of what I don't understand.  The main character rose because of the power he gained from his S. Links but if the others were in similar situations...  Well, I have to think that since the main character was alone against Izanami at that point it means that with her destruction those others were liberated...  Or maybe that's not it at all.

And another point, why does it seem that in P4 (it's the same in P3, but to a lesser extent, I think) all the S. Links that help the character to persevere seem to know that he's fighting against some monster?  I would think that it's because the character is imagining what they would tell him for motivational purposes, but I dunno.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ: I think you're overthinking it a bit.  Essentially, whatever danger the other characters were in, they were freed when Izanami was defeated.  As for the S. Links, those that appear are as they exist in his heart.  His friendship with those characters is what gives him his strength.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: I guess that makes sense, the friendship that he obtained with those people are what is helping him and not the people themselves.  Thanks for clearing up some stuff for me! 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ: No problem!  This has actually been one of the better discussions about the games that I've been involved in online recently.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: Yeah, looking back on the thread, I'm actually surprised that I can write that much when it's not for a school assignment! XD
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By yetiantics

I loved how Izanami looked. But i enjoyed P3 final boss better due to everything being led up to that one fight.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By ashogo

I think the Nyx battle was probably more enjoyable for me, since I really didn't like the way Izanami was revealed at the last second out of nowhere. I know there were hints, but the whole thing still came off  as a bit ridiculous to me.

Also, I loved the 'sealing' portion of the Nyx battle, it really gave me the sense that 'everything has led to this moment'. The music was great too, since I recognized it from the very first cutscene in the game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@ashogo said:

"I think the Nyx battle was probably more enjoyable for me, since I really didn't like the way Izanami was revealed at the last second out of nowhere. I know there were hints, but the whole thing still came off  as a bit ridiculous to me.Also, I loved the 'sealing' portion of the Nyx battle, it really gave me the sense that 'everything has led to this moment'. The music was great too, since I recognized it from the very first cutscene in the game."

The music "Burn my Dread" is the main theme of Persona 3 so wasn't it played in more sections then in the beginning (if that's what you are referring to)?  I loved how they remixed the Velvet Room theme to make it sound totally epic during that boss battle.  I still think Izanami's reveal was a little crazy so I still prefer Nyx.  And I find it rather awesome that to terminate the fight, the main character only lifted a finger while Persona 4's main character did some "super-crazy-awesome!" seal attack to finish it.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ashogo
    @FluxWaveZ: I meant the final, final battle music called 'burn my dread-last battle' or something like that. It plays in pt.2 of the Nyx fight as well as in the opening cutscene where the MC gets off the train. The velvet room remix was awesome in it's own right, though.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ashogo: That's what I also meant.  I thought it played sometimes during the actual game but thinking on it again; it only plays during the second intro of the game and, like you said, during the opening.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "

@ashogo said:

"I think the Nyx battle was probably more enjoyable for me, since I really didn't like the way Izanami was revealed at the last second out of nowhere. I know there were hints, but the whole thing still came off  as a bit ridiculous to me.Also, I loved the 'sealing' portion of the Nyx battle, it really gave me the sense that 'everything has led to this moment'. The music was great too, since I recognized it from the very first cutscene in the game."

The music "Burn my Dread" is the main theme of Persona 3 so wasn't it played in more sections then in the beginning (if that's what you are referring to)?  I loved how they remixed the Velvet Room theme to make it sound totally epic during that boss battle.  I still think Izanami's reveal was a little crazy so I still prefer Nyx.  And I find it rather awesome that to terminate the fight, the main character only lifted a finger while Persona 4's main character did some "super-crazy-awesome!" seal attack to finish it.

"
    That "super-crazy-awesome!" seal attack wasn't really that super crazy.  The P4 main character isn't a messianic figure like P3's.  The power to truly defeat Izanami lies within his final Persona, Izanagi-no-Okami, which from a story standpoint makes much more sense than just giving the finger and watching her explode.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel said:
    "@FluxWaveZ said:
    "

@ashogo said:

"
    That "super-crazy-awesome!" seal attack wasn't really that super crazy.  The P4 main character isn't a messianic figure like P3's.  The power to truly defeat Izanami lies within his final Persona, Izanagi-no-Okami, which from a story standpoint makes much more sense than just giving the finger and watching her explode."

I guess so (although P3's main character didn't make Nyx explode, it created that huge seal/wall that's revealed in The Answer).  But the way that P4's seal was executed seemed much more "anime-esque" as there were lights surrounding Izanami and stuff; it seemed less serious.  Izanagi-no-Okami probably makes sense from the Japanese mythology standpoint, but I find that the seal P3's main character created makes more sense in the story than in P4 because he made that seal as acceptance that it was an inevitability that the world would again wish to know death and call for Nyx.  That wall basically delays that.  In P4, after the elimination of Izanami and the restoration of the TV world, it's as if magically the world has learned to accept themselves and the shadows they were hiding.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention in the end, but how did the elimination of Izanami turn the world to acceptance?  The team from P3 and P4 basically made the same vow to make the world a better place, but in P4's case, that suddenly happened and in P3's case, basically nothing changed with the Nyx battle finished and they still had work to do to make sure that the world doesn't want to unkowingly call for Nyx anymore, which makes more sense.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ: There's a difference between the world outside the TV and the world within.  The effect of Izanami's death on the TV world eliminated her influence from it entirely, and without her mucking things up, it returned to its natural state.  Defeating Nyx wouldn't change anything that drastically since Nyx never had the level of influence over the real world that Izanami had.

Another point is that while Izanami is a goddess of creation in Japanese myth, she met a brutal end and then felt betrayed when Izanagi came to get her, caught a glimpse of her rotting form, and then high-tailed it the hell out of there.  Her worldview is a bit skewed, so what she might see as mankind's true desire is not necessarily the same as what it actually is.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel said:
    "@FluxWaveZ: There's a difference between the world outside the TV and the world within.  The effect of Izanami's death on the TV world eliminated her influence from it entirely, and without her mucking things up, it returned to its natural state.  Defeating Nyx wouldn't change anything that drastically since Nyx never had the level of influence over the real world that Izanami had.Another point is that while Izanami is a goddess of creation in Japanese myth, she met a brutal end and then felt betrayed when Izanagi came to get her, caught a glimpse of her rotting form, and then high-tailed it the hell out of there.  Her worldview is a bit skewed, so what she might see as mankind's true desire is not necessarily the same as what it actually is."

But the world inside the TV supposedly represents what is inside human hearts, the shadows they do not want to reveal.  Even though her influence was removed, why would that make the shadows that people kept hidden suddenly dissapear and therefore be accepted by them?  And yes, just like Nyx, Izanami's comprehension of what humanity wants is messed up.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ: The shadows didn't necessarily disappear.  The world is still Teddie's world.  We only had a limited view of it after its change, and it's very likely that Shadows still reside in it.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel said:
    "@FluxWaveZ: The shadows didn't necessarily disappear.  The world is still Teddie's world.  We only had a limited view of it after its change, and it's very likely that Shadows still reside in it."

Whoa, I didn't think of that...  But then if that's the case; what exactly does it mean, now, that Teddie's world is all beautiful and nice?  And Teddie said something to the effect that he was going to go back to his world and protect it, or something, right...?  Why would he go back if the shadows didn't disappear?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ: Because that world is his home.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: Right (forgot about that...), that does make sense.  I guess that solves it, but it just seems weird that after all that and Teddie's world looking peaceful, there'd still be shadows in it.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ashogo
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @ashogo: That's what I also meant.  I thought it played sometimes during the actual game but thinking on it again; it only plays during the second intro of the game and, like you said, during the opening. "
    Hm, I think we're confused here. The song I mean is this, which also appear here and here. I remember hearing it in that first cutscene and hoping it would show up again, so when it played at the very end it was a great moment.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ashogo said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @ashogo: That's what I also meant.  I thought it played sometimes during the actual game but thinking on it again; it only plays during the second intro of the game and, like you said, during the opening. "
    Hm, I think we're confused here. The song I mean is this, which also appear here and here. I remember hearing it in that first cutscene and hoping it would show up again, so when it played at the very end it was a great moment. "
    No, that's exactly what I mean.  Check for the second intro of the game (the one with all the french text floating around, maybe it's just in Persona 3 FES or something) and that's the song that plays.  It's the first video in this compilation.
    amino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By amino

First of all,I do not understand why so many Persona 3 fanboy/fangirl always mumbling how better P3 compare to P4,yadayadayada and so on.I read most comments from youtube/forum/FAQ about games and none of those games like Persona 4 where all people said  "Elizabeth is stronger...","Nyx is more powerful..","Shooting own head is cooler.." and so on,so on....are P3 fanboys got denial syndrome/jealousy because of no ER for P3 or what?I rarely read something like "Silent Hill 3 is better than Silent Hill 4","Nemesis is stronger than Wesker","Ken is more powerful than Chun Li",yadayadayada and so on..

As a Persona series diehard fan(and also expert),I hope you dont make any annoying comparisons between 2 games so mannnyyyyyyyy times.P4 and P3 both have their own advantages and disadvantages.And both of them created by same developer.
    In P3:
    1.the battles are more challenging
    2the true ending is sad type where MC died
    3.you cannot control your allies
    4.It is easy to get the true ending
    In P4:
    1.the battles are easier
    2.you can fully control your allies
    3.the way to get true ending is hard compare to P3 if you dont use FAQ
    4.the true ending is happy ever after  type  

And one thing even annoying me more is when someone asked whether to get P4 in this board for his birthday or not and then some retarded P3 fanboy ask him to buy P3 instead.And let me tell you,this is P4 board,if you really have denial sindrome about P3 awesomeness,create your own forum P3 board and endurance run please!!!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @amino said:
    "First of all,I do not understand why so many Persona 3 fanboy/fangirl always mumbling how better P3 compare to P4,yadayadayada and so on.I read most comments from youtube/forum/FAQ about games and none of those games like Persona 4 where all people said  "Elizabeth is stronger...","Nyx is more powerful..","Shooting own head is cooler.." and so on,so on....are P3 fanboys got denial syndrome/jealousy because of no ER for P3 or what?I rarely read something like "Silent Hill 3 is better than Silent Hill 4","Nemesis is stronger than Wesker","Ken is more powerful than Chun Li",yadayadayada and so on..As a Persona series diehard fan(and also expert),I hope you dont make any annoying comparisons between 2 games so mannnyyyyyyyy times.P4 and P3 both have their own advantages and disadvantages.And both of them created by same developer.In P3:1.the battles are more challenging 2the true ending is sad type where MC died 3.you cannot control your allies4.It is easy to get the true ending In P4:1.the battles are easier2.you can fully control your allies3.the way to get true ending is hard compare to P3 if you dont use FAQ4.the true ending is happy ever after  type   And one thing even annoying me more is when someone asked whether to get P4 in this board for his birthday or not and then some retarded P3 fanboy ask him to buy P3 instead.And let me tell you,this is P4 board,if you really have denial sindrome about P3 awesomeness,create your own forum P3 board and endurance run please!!! "

Dude, how old are you?  You sound so childish and you didn't even base any of your arguments on what I said.  A lot of the things you said in that post make close to no sense and your arguments are totally irrelevant.  I doubt you're a Persona "dieahard fan", and I doubt even more that you're an "expert" at the Persona games.  And where did I say that Persona 3 was a better game?  I said the final boss in Persona 3 and maybe how the story wraps up is better, not the overall game.  Persona 4 is the overall better game, there's no doubt about that.

And that thread you mentioned was based on that person's situation, he had watched the Endurance Run and he wanted to play some Persona, so most of us recommended he get Persona 3 FES so he could enjoy the same type of game as Persona 4 with a different story.  Also, lern 2 type crrectly
    amino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By amino
    @FluxWaveZ:

About doubting me as P4 expert,do you want me to show my P4 gameplay with over 800 hours,100% compendium,100% quest,100% maxed SL?No ARMAX code is used.I will show you later if you really dont believe that I am one of the best Persona 4 gamer.P4 and P3 are just about strategy,management,using your own brain,analysis and fusing right personae,no quick fingers or big lucks required to become P4 expert.Do you even believe that Shadow Naoto can actually be defeated with only one hit?I can show you how to do it too,so that you wont doubt me as P4 psycho/expert anymore.

About my childish posting,yeah....I am a young male.However,I am surprised when I watch some people playing P4 with "childish" strategy although they are older than me.Older human should be smarter,isnt it?Because RPG games are all about using brain. 

I personally think P3 is better.But I never tell other people to not buy P4 and argue how worse P4 or how awesome P3 is.The only thing keeps annoying me is how much repetitions posted by P3 retarded fans in unrelated topics.When someone discussed about how to fight Margaret in 2nd playthrough,then suddenly come unrelated spamming posts such as ,"Nyx is....","Elizabeth request is...","Elizabeth is harder..",yadayadayada...
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @amino:

The way that you vent about it makes me doubt you even more.  Sure, show me proof as to how you are the best Persona 4 player in the world.  It is believable that any boss except for the last ones can be defeated in one hit with the right Persona but hat doesn't mean you have.  And 800 hours?  Christ, even the real expert players don't have that much time because they actually know what the hell they're doing. 

And you're a "young teenager"?  From the manner you type, it sounds like you're 8 (I really hope English is not your first language).  And when you post: "The only thing keeps annoying me is how much repetitions posted by P3 retarded fans in unrelated topics.When someone discussed about how to fight Margaret in 2nd playthrough,then suddenly come unrelated spamming posts such as ,"Nyx is....","Elizabeth request is...","Elizabeth is harder..",yadayadayada...", it seems to me that that's exactly what you're doing.  You're posting nonsense that has nothing to do with what this topic was originally about.

If RPG games are all about "using brain", how about you use that same strategy in this thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.