Persona 4 Anime will be dubbed

• 85 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

*In English, I should add. 

Sentai Filmworks, a North American anime licensing company based in Texas, has acquired the "PERSONA 4 The Animation" license.  

Source 

HOUSTON, September 27, 2011— Sentai Filmworks  proudly brings the hit PERSONA game franchise to anime with the acquisition of the red-hot new series PERSONA 4 the Animation.   Based on the megahit game-within-a-game from ATLUS, in which extraordinary humans take on even more extraordinary “Personas,” the 25 episode series is being helmed under the direction of Seiji Kishi (Angel Beats!, Magikano, Raagnorok the Animation,) with script supervision by Yuuko Kakihara (Special A, Stitch!, Heaven’s Lost Property,) while the signature original character designs by Shigenori Soejima are being adapted by Kazuaki Morita (Nyan Koi!, My Bride Is a Mermaid, Kamisama Dolls.)

Digital distribution of  PERSONA 4 the Animation   will begin soon through many outlets, with a home video release on DVD & Blu-Ray in 2012.

Now all that remains to be known is whether the anime will feature the game's voice actors or not.
#2 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

Do Mysterious Fox and Funky Student appear in this anime?

#3 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

I wont watch in English if they dont get the voice actors from the game

#4 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5103 posts) -

@Djstyles92 said:

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10471 posts) -

@Icemael said:

If they are, then they better be voiced by Ice T and Ice Cube.

#6 Edited by Rapid (1346 posts) -

If they do get the original game VA cast to do it, I will gladly watch this dubbed otherwise Subbed. Regardless, this will be the first anime I've watched in almost a year and a half now.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Icemael said:
I think it's a given that all Social Link characters will appear. Don't know about Funky Student, though.
#8 Posted by Creamypies (4051 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Djstyles92 said:

#9 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

*endurance run joke #53*

#10 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

If there isn't a fight scene with Chie vs a tank I will be disappoint.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

This is awesome news.

@Djstyles92 said:

I agree though I would think if they are going to the trouble of bringing this anime to the US they'll get the voice actors from the game. Is the Japanese cast the same as the game?

#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said: 

Is the Japanese cast the same as the game?

Yes.
#13 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5103 posts) -

@RE_Player92 said:

This is awesome news.

@Djstyles92 said:

I agree though I would think if they are going to the trouble of bringing this anime to the US they'll get the voice actors from the game. Is the Japanese cast the same as the game?

Anime

A television anime of the game has also been announced, produced by AIC A.S.T.A. and directed by Seiji Kishi who also helmed other anime series including Angel Beats! and Ragnarok The Animation. Main voice actors from the original game are also set to reprise their roles in the TV series including Daisuke Namikawa(protagonist, renamed Yu Narukami in the anime series), Showtaro Morikubo (Yōsuke Hanamura), Yui Horie (Chie Satonaka), and Ami Koshimizu (Yukiko Amagi).It will begin broadcast in Japan on MBS from October 6, 2011. The adaptation has been licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks for release in 2012.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

the question going around the internet is whether the sub groups are going to go super literal with teddie and just go with -kuma tics (the wrong option) or make bear puns all the time (the correct option)

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Never had a good experience with a dub.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

as far as the voice actors, well, it's not like any of them are exceedingly costly anyway so I don't see why they wouldn't show up for the english dub

#17 Posted by Synaptic (305 posts) -

"Aha! Is this our chance?!?"

#18 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I'm still confused on whether this is suppose to be a movie or a mini series or whatever.

And I really hope they have the English cast from the game for the dub.

#19 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Subjugation said:

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Samurai Champloo
All of these had great dubs. And if you're talking about video games, there are many more examples. Plus, are you saying you disliked the English Persona 4 VO? 

@Landon said: 

I'm still confused on whether this is suppose to be a movie or a mini series or whatever.

It's an anime series of 25 episodes.
#20 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2211 posts) -

Shame the main character won't be named Charlie Tunoku, it so suited him. They need to bring back the original voice cast for English dubbed version to work.

#21 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Creamypies said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Djstyles92 said:

Yes

#22 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

glad to hear it now I can give them more of my money

#23 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Add Baccano to that list

#24 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: No, I'm talking about anime. I default to subs out of habit because English VO tends to be awful. I haven't seen the series' you listed though, so maybe they are good examples to the contrary.

#25 Posted by Alle (19 posts) -

Original VA or subs.

#26 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Dubs >_> waste of money.

#27 Edited by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

Glad that it will be dub and coming here. So far sentai has gotten better with their dubs so i can trust them. Now they really need to get the original English cast to make it great or It'll just be a mess.

#28 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

@Laketown said:

the question going around the internet is whether the sub groups are going to go super literal with teddie and just go with -kuma tics (the wrong option) or make bear puns all the time (the correct option)

what are -kuma tics? some sort of Japanese language humor that didn't translate culturally over to America?

#29 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Who the fuck is Yu?

Its Charlie god damn it.

#30 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@MikeHawk said:

@Laketown said:

what are -kuma tics? some sort of Japanese language humor that didn't translate culturally over to America?

in the japanese game, instead of making unBEARable bear puns, he said his name (which was kuma) after every sentence.

#31 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10471 posts) -

@Laketown said:

@MikeHawk said:

@Laketown said:

in the japanese game, instead of making unBEARable bear puns, he said his name (which was kuma) after every sentence.

That does sound unBEARable. I'd be BEARy worried if that was the case. I wouldn't be able to BEAR it. I'd have to go to the liBEARy to read some books...I'm sorry, I can't keep this going.

#32 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I'd actually watch this if all characters were voiced by Ice-T.

#33 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Dubs suck better just watch it with subtitles.

#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:

So you're saying Persona 4's dub sucked too, right?
#35 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

@Laketown: ok, so just like a Moogle saying Kupo at the end of every sentence? They better make terrible bear puns, then. It seems like that would fit a lot better anyways.

#36 Edited by Zabant (1233 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Djstyles92 said:

I wont watch

Edit: Ok ok, unless someone tells me its really good.

#37 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@Djstyles92 said:

Accurate.

#38 Edited by endaround (2138 posts) -

Sentai has yet to use the level of VAs that the Persona 4 game had (that I'm aware of). All the people on P4 (save maybe Tracey Rooney) are all top tier VAs working in dubs. So I expect casting changes unless Adult Swim decides to swoop in and broadcast it (very unlikely)

#39 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

I'm BEARy excited for this *Sorry*

#40 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

It didn't suck but it could have been better.

#41 Posted by Bigheart711 (1252 posts) -

Sounds awesome! :D

#42 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5103 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

It didn't suck but it could have been better.

Hey guys lets take a trip back to the 90'S!

#43 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (568 posts) -

If they don't get the voice actors from the english version of the game, I will go BEARserk! It will be BEARly be Persona anymore. I won't be able to BEAR nodding along to the catchy TUNAS (Why Charlie, why?!) when there's so BEARY talented voice-actors to be found in the game. I'm sure it's a BEARucratic decision, but would be BEAReft if they'd choose to BEAReave us of the good voices of we've all come to hold so dear.

#44 Posted by 1337W422102 (1005 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Subjugation said:

• Cowboy Bebop

The Bebop dub was nothing special, and the shitty writing killed the English version. I know they have to change the lines to match the mouth flaps, but it was just bad. The Ghost in the Shell dubs are terrific, though.

#45 Posted by Flappy (2127 posts) -

Since the anime will have the same actors as the game, there's no reason for me to -not- like it. Unless, y'know, the show itself turns out to be terrible.

#46 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10471 posts) -

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

If they don't get the voice actors from the english version of the game, I will go BEARserk! It will be BEARly be Persona anymore. I won't be able to BEAR nodding along to the catchy TUNAS (Why Charlie, why?!) when there's so BEARY talented voice-actors to be found in the game. I'm sure it's a BEARucratic decision, but would be BEAReft if they'd choose to BEAReave us of the good voices of we've all come to hold so dear.

"BEARucratic" is a bit of a stretch.

I wholeheartedly approve.

#47 Posted by c_rakestraw (823 posts) -

@Synaptic said:

"Aha! Is this our chance?!?"

If this line doesn't appear in the anime at least once, it'll be a huge disappointment.

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (35995 posts) -

Will it appear on [adult swim]? That's the only way I'll watch it (I'm a lazy asshole).

#49 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Good, I'll check out a couple episodes then to see if I'll like it.

#50 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Umm....nowhere in that text does it say the show will be dubbed. Seeing how it will be shown through digital channels  at least for its first year, this may very well be a sub only deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.