Persona 4 in HD

• 69 results
#1 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -

I'm sure a lot of people have talked about HD re-releases of Persona 3 & 4 on the PS3. It' an attractive proposition, but I doubt Atlas has anything planned. 

With that in mind, why not tease everyone with something they will never get? Some 1080p screenshots (1080 height, not 1920 width though because that is widescreen and Persona 4 is a 4:3 game. 

Screenshot 1 
Screenshot 2 
Screenshot 3 
Screenshot 4 
Screenshot 5 

A resolution increase doesn't effect the gameplay obviously, but it's nice to have better looking versions of games.

#2 Edited by Zidd (1846 posts) -

You can actually see the detail on the faces in those screenshots. Kanji looks pissed off in every single one of the screenshots.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -

I assume you're just running this on pcsx2? I'm currently doing the same thing, on my rerun of P4 and my first run of P3. It makes me never want to play them on a real PS2 again.

#4 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -
@Zidd: Some of them are such that you can tell they never intended to be looked at in great detail but Kanji has a funny expression. The art style scales really well for something that was never meant to be HD.
#5 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

" I assume you're just running this on pcsx2? I'm currently doing the same thing, on my rerun of P4 and my first run of P3. It makes me never want to play them on a real PS2 again. "

Agreed, the save states are a nice addition.
#6 Edited by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

" I assume you're just running this on pcsx2? I'm currently doing the same thing, on my rerun of P4 and my first run of P3. It makes me never want to play them on a real PS2 again. "

Well I logged about 250 hours on the PCSX2 version but now I'm just playing it on my PS2. I want to go back, but there were too many situations where it slowdown got in the way of the fun. That and the occasional graphical glitch. 

These screenshots were taken about a year ago.
#7 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Persona 4 has wonderful art, but the character models ain't too hot. While its a noticable leap...I can live without it.

I'd rage pretty hard if they wasted time/money on something like this!

#8 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @ajamafalous said:

Agreed, the save states are a nice addition. "
What about cheat codes?:P
#9 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @ajamafalous said:

Agreed, the save states are a nice addition. "
What about cheat codes?:P "
They don't work :(
#10 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -

Also if anyone else is running PCSX2 share some more screenshots of it. I would but I dont play it on my PC anymore.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous said:

Well I logged about 250 hours on the PCSX2 version but now I'm just playing it on my PS2. I want to go back, but there were too many situations where it slowdown got in the way of the fun. That and the occasional graphical glitch.  These screenshots were taken about a year ago. "
The slowdowns are goddamn annoying, but I didn't bring my PS2 to college, so it's my only option, and I'm a pretty big graphics whore. But goddamn, the slowdowns. They happen in such nonsensical places too. It's not like classroom or Junes patio are any more detailed than the other environments, or at least not enough to cause slowdown. Hopefully plugin updates will eventually fix that, because my computer is more than capable of the emulation at 1080p.
#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Hm, not bad considering you never actually see the character models in that much detail in-game.

#13 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@ajamafalous: I've heard  of people who were able to emulate P4 100% without any issues. You should look up how to deal with this. 

Myself, my shitty 5 year old PC can't run even PS2 games in their native resolution:(
#14 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:

" Also if anyone else is running PCSX2 share some more screenshots of it. I would but I dont play it on my PC anymore. "

I had a couple, but they disappeared. I did make this .gif though:

#15 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

Oh god I never wanted to see Kanji's messed up face like that.

#16 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Wow. I never did notice the detail on their faces. Now I can.

Thanks, emulation!

#17 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @AlisterCat said:

" Also if anyone else is running PCSX2 share some more screenshots of it. I would but I dont play it on my PC anymore. "

"
You really are the best poster on giantbomb, you know that?
#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11039 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @AlisterCat said:

"
That is the version of P4 that I want to play. 
#19 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @AlisterCat said:

"
Man, Jeff's dialogue cutout. Where's that pic from?
#20 Posted by Ub3rSlug (153 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
 because my computer is more than capable of the emulation at 1080p. "
Out of curiosity, what are you current specs? I'm looking to building (well, technically re-building) a desktop gaming PC and PS2 emulation at high resolutions is something I want to be able to achieve.
#21 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

They look great, makes me look forward to seeing the graphical update for Persona 5. 

In pic 4 Charlie is demonstrating his aloofness skills by apparently levitating that bowl-of-something slightly above his hand.

#22 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@mutha3:  Thanks^^

@ajamafalous: I think it's from the BLSL or that kinect thing they did:
#23 Posted by ch3burashka (5083 posts) -

I was gonna say, nah thanks, but both the models and the people pictures look fantastic. I'm gonna look into emulating...

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@Ub3rSlug said:

" @ajamafalous said:

Out of curiosity, what are you current specs? I'm looking to building (well, technically re-building) a desktop gaming PC and PS2 emulation at high resolutions is something I want to be able to achieve. "
Core i7-920 @ 2.67 GHz
eVGA nVidia GTX 275 896 MB GDDR3
6 GB (3 x 2 GB) Triple Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

You could probably get away with less than that if I had to guess.
#25 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @Ub3rSlug said:

" @ajamafalous said:

Out of curiosity, what are you current specs? I'm looking to building (well, technically re-building) a desktop gaming PC and PS2 emulation at high resolutions is something I want to be able to achieve. "
Core i7-920 @ 2.67 GHz eVGA nVidia GTX 275 896 MB GDDR3 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) Triple Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz   You could probably get away with less than that if I had to guess. "
I have a Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAm, GTX460 and I can run it fullspeed at 1080p too. 

When we say slowdowns, the game speed is actually fine. It's just that the emulator seems to have issues with some of the textures, or enemy models or something. I seem to remember it doing 1 frame every 5 seconds when you're fighting some white ravens that hold lanterns. It's just spots where the emulation is off for something. The game as a whole runs really well even on my old ass rig.
#26 Edited by animateria (3253 posts) -

Heh, you can actually see the Shin Megami Tensei look more than the standard anime looking stills in the 3D models.  

That's a detail I couldn't really see on standard definition.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19345 posts) -

Persona 5 will look amazing.

#28 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -

As a disclaimer, I don't think any of us saying we've emulated it promote piracy. I just encourage emulation as a means of enhancing games. I own Persona 4 but playing it better than it can otherwise be played is the ideal to me. In terms of technology and user experience.

#29 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@animateria said:
" Heh, you can actually see the Shin Megami Tensei look more than the standard anime looking stills in the 3D models.   That's a detail I couldn't really see on standard definition. "

Agreed. While they don't come close to the actual drawn stuff by Soejima ingame, the 3d models still do a surprisingly fair attempt at trying to emulate it. Never got to see it before this, though.
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Persona 5 will look amazing. "
With the Catherine engine? hell fuckin' yeah
#30 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
If it ever gets made and doesn't get shipped to a 3DS or the NGP.
#31 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

Ok, wow. I'm impressed.

#32 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

1. Kanji has got some slick shoes. 

2. Daisuke is my favourite character in Persona 4.

#33 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Ub3rSlug said:

" @ajamafalous said:

Core i7-920 @ 2.67 GHz eVGA nVidia GTX 275 896 MB GDDR3 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) Triple Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz   You could probably get away with less than that if I had to guess. "
I have a Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAm, GTX460 and I can run it fullspeed at 1080p too.  When we say slowdowns, the game speed is actually fine. It's just that the emulator seems to have issues with some of the textures, or enemy models or something. I seem to remember it doing 1 frame every 5 seconds when you're fighting some white ravens that hold lanterns. It's just spots where the emulation is off for something. The game as a whole runs really well even on my old ass rig. "
I have an i7-920 2.67GHz with an Asus nVidia GTX260 896MB GDDR3 and 9GB DDR3.  It runs perfectly fine, and I'm running it at 1200p IIRC. It will still, delimited, run most environments at 2x speed, and voiced conversations often hover around 80fps.

I only have problems in Shopping District, North.
#34 Posted by NathHaw (2785 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
If it ever gets made and doesn't get shipped to a 3DS or the NGP. "
Don't say such things!
#35 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

This just makes me want a HD rerelease even more. My computer just can't handle some of the slowdown and graphical glitches that come with using PCSX2.

#36 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

The PS2 graphics are good enough for me

#37 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
If it ever gets made and doesn't get shipped to a 3DS or the NGP. "
Its already been announced, and all the money they wasted on that spiffy new Catherine engine make me highly doubt such a faith awaits Persona 5.
#38 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" As a disclaimer, I don't think any of us saying we've emulated it promote piracy. I just encourage emulation as a means of enhancing games. I own Persona 4 but playing it better than it can otherwise be played is the ideal to me. In terms of technology and user experience. "
I'm actually ripped my own .isos from my disks.
#39 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -
@mutha3: 

Yeah it's been announced but work hasn't even started right? It could be years away still...

And while they said Persona 5 was going to be made, they also said a Persona game was going to be made for the 3DS and they haven't said what kind of game that is Persona 5 or a remake or a side game.
#40 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Ub3rSlug said:

" @ajamafalous said:

I have a Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAm, GTX460 and I can run it fullspeed at 1080p too.  When we say slowdowns, the game speed is actually fine. It's just that the emulator seems to have issues with some of the textures, or enemy models or something. I seem to remember it doing 1 frame every 5 seconds when you're fighting some white ravens that hold lanterns. It's just spots where the emulation is off for something. The game as a whole runs really well even on my old ass rig. "
I have an i7-920 2.67GHz with an Asus nVidia GTX260 896MB GDDR3 and 9GB DDR3.  It runs perfectly fine, and I'm running it at 1200p IIRC. It will still, delimited, run most environments at 2x speed, and voiced conversations often hover around 80fps. I only have problems in Shopping District, North. "
Do either of you have problems where the actual game speed slows down? That's the problem I have in the classroom and at Junes. The game drops from 60 to sometimes as low as 45 fps, and everything (including speech) slows down with the same ratio. If not, what are your graphical options? Are you skipping frames if it drops below 60 fps? No v-sync?
#41 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I'm about to be trying this with Persona 3 FES. Think I'll experience any problems?

#42 Posted by Sanj (2392 posts) -

Wow P4 looks great in HD.

#43 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -
@ajamafalous: I believe the nature of the emulation ties the games speed to it's frames per second. an ISO ripped from a PAL disc needs 60FPS for 100% game speed, on NTSC I believe it's 50FPS. Speech will slow down with it. There is no separation between game slow downs and low frames per second. They are one and the same.
#44 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous: I believe the nature of the emulation ties the games speed to it's frames per second. an ISO ripped from a PAL disc needs 60FPS for 100% game speed, on NTSC I believe it's 50FPS. Speech will slow down with it. There is no separation between game slow downs and low frames per second. They are one and the same. "
Isn't it 50 for PAL and 60 for NTSC?
#45 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -
@EquitasInvictus said:
" I'm about to be trying this with Persona 3 FES. Think I'll experience any problems? "
I've tried that too and it's fine. You just shouldn't run it in widescreen, maintain the aspect ratio when specifying a resolution. The bitmap files such as the illustrations and text boxes don't look great scaled up and even worse when in widescreen.
#46 Posted by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous: I believe the nature of the emulation ties the games speed to it's frames per second. an ISO ripped from a PAL disc needs 60FPS for 100% game speed, on NTSC I believe it's 50FPS. Speech will slow down with it. There is no separation between game slow downs and low frames per second. They are one and the same. "
Isn't it 50 for PAL and 60 for NTSC? "
Maybe. Could have got them the wrong way round. :p 
#47 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

" @mutha3:   Yeah it's been announced but work hasn't even started right? It could be years away still... 

Uh, no, last we heard of it, The Persona team had been split in two to work on Catherine and P5 consecutively, when Catherine would be finished they would join together to finish up Persona 5. According to Meguro an announcement regarding Persona 5 would be made in 2011. 

And seeing how Atlus rarely if ever announces a game longer than 2-3 months prior to its release, I'm assuming Persona 5 will be an early 2012 release at its latest.

And while they said Persona 5 was going to be made, they also said a Persona game was going to be made for the 3DS and they haven't said what kind of game that is Persona 5 or a remake or a side game. "

The existence of Catherine kinda guarantees that Persona 5 will be on next-gen consoles. They made an engine for it.

This is Atlus.

They are going to milk that engine for everything its worth. I repeat, this is Atlus.
#48 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -
@mutha3: 

I hadn't heard they were splitting time with Catherine no.

You breaking it down for me is really getting me jazzed up for Persona 5 though.
#49 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

" @mutha3:   I hadn't heard they were splitting time with Catherine no.  You breaking it down for me is really getting me jazzed up for Persona 5 though. "

Hell, two of the three statements I made in my post are even backed up by our very own bombtastic wiki:

http://www.giantbomb.com/shin-megami-tensei-persona-5/61-30486/

Them working consectivuly on Catherine, though, is a little bit older than that. Way back in mid 2009 they teased the "Persona team" was working on a new smaller project(which turned out to be Catheriine) and "that game". 

Three guesses on what the persona director could possible mean with that.
#50 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @AlisterCat said:
Isn't it 50 for PAL and 60 for NTSC? "
Maybe. Could have got them the wrong way round. :p  "
59.94 for NTSC, 50 for PAL.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.