Persona 4 in HD

• 69 results
#51 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
" @mutha3:   I hadn't heard they were splitting time with Catherine no.  You breaking it down for me is really getting me jazzed up for Persona 5 though. "
Now that they've finished Catherine, they're presumably mainly working on Persona 5 from their past statements. Persona 5 has already been announced, anyways.
#52 Posted by AlisterCat (5469 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous: I believe the nature of the emulation ties the games speed to it's frames per second. an ISO ripped from a PAL disc needs 60FPS for 100% game speed, on NTSC I believe it's 50FPS. Speech will slow down with it. There is no separation between game slow downs and low frames per second. They are one and the same. "
Isn't it 50 for PAL and 60 for NTSC? "
Maybe. Could have got them the wrong way round. :p  "
59.94 for NTSC, 50 for PAL. "
You are right. In any case, if you don't put the framerate cap on the game will render at higher FPS than the optimal and will speed up. This is fine when you want to speed up but when you're running at 80fps during a dialogue piece on a PAL disc everyone is speaking really fast and squeaky.
#53 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Wow the faces really pop out.

#54 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

I was going to say that up-rezing P4 is silly and useless, but after seeing the screenshots, I've changed my mind. Game looks rad.

#55 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

I'm surprised how well most of the textures hold up...

#56 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: 
I can die happy now seeing that picture, Thank you.
#57 Posted by Leafhopper (228 posts) -

Wow this looks  awesome.

#58 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Those pictures look nice, but it'll take something more than just HD upscaling to make me go through Persona again. I've already done plenty of playthroughs for the time being.

#59 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

Atlus already made us buy Persona 3 three times, I find it hard to believe they will not release a Persona Collection with trophies before Persona 5 finally arrives, something similar was PSP Persona 1 which is a sharper version of the ps1 version and they are also working on PSP Persona 2. Don't forget Devil Survivor Overclock for the 3DS!, Atlus loves remakes and re-releases.

#60 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @Aus_azn said:
" @AlisterCat said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Ub3rSlug said:

" @ajamafalous said:

because my computer is more than capable of the emulation at 1080p. "
Out of curiosity, what are you current specs? I'm looking to building (well, technically re-building) a desktop gaming PC and PS2 emulation at high resolutions is something I want to be able to achieve. "
Core i7-920 @ 2.67 GHz eVGA nVidia GTX 275 896 MB GDDR3 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) Triple Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz   You could probably get away with less than that if I had to guess. "
I have a Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAm, GTX460 and I can run it fullspeed at 1080p too.  When we say slowdowns, the game speed is actually fine. It's just that the emulator seems to have issues with some of the textures, or enemy models or something. I seem to remember it doing 1 frame every 5 seconds when you're fighting some white ravens that hold lanterns. It's just spots where the emulation is off for something. The game as a whole runs really well even on my old ass rig. "
I have an i7-920 2.67GHz with an Asus nVidia GTX260 896MB GDDR3 and 9GB DDR3.  It runs perfectly fine, and I'm running it at 1200p IIRC. It will still, delimited, run most environments at 2x speed, and voiced conversations often hover around 80fps. I only have problems in Shopping District, North. "
Do either of you have problems where the actual game speed slows down? That's the problem I have in the classroom and at Junes. The game drops from 60 to sometimes as low as 45 fps, and everything (including speech) slows down with the same ratio. If not, what are your graphical options? Are you skipping frames if it drops below 60 fps? No v-sync? "
I played through the entire game on an AMD Phenom II x4 955, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4890 and didn't encounter any major slowdowns except for whenever I entered the TV with the hypno spiral thing and even then that wasn't that major. 

I used near default settings iirc on beta.r1888 version. 

GSdx 1873  v0.1.15 Graphics plugin
#61 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Oh man this do look great you could bearly see the Characters faces in the PS2 game , some of you guys are saying that the game has slowdowns? I guess i didn´t notice them sience I don´t play on PC and im not aware of the finner details but when I played the game on PS2 it  run normal , the next step for Atlus should be a new version of Persona 4 hell Persona 3 has 2 and the one on the psp wich is the one I have is great but I do miss the in-game models and the anime cutscenes , I know Atlus isn´t a big budget company like Square but I would love a Persona 4 portable or Persona 4 FES with everything that the PS2 version had , as for Persona 5 I can wait I haven´t finish P3P so take your time Atlus and make the story and characters good and fun thats all that matters grapichs can take a back sit I don´t mind

#62 Posted by AlisterCat (5469 posts) -
@angeln7: When we say slowdowns we are referring to the emulation. There is no PC version, so we are using a program that emulates the hardware of a PS2 so we can play it on Windows. You can also enhance games with anti-aliasing, texture filtering and resolution increases.
It is very hardware intensive, and since it is unofficial and third party (and still in beta) the emulation isn't spot on so there are some glitches and slowdowns. These problems are because of the emulator, the PS2 version is fine as you say.
#63 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -

well... now i need to rewatch the endurance run... for the 34820th time

#64 Posted by AlisterCat (5469 posts) -
@Hockeymask27 said:
" Wow the faces really pop out. "
You really dont want to see Kanji Crossdressing..
#65 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

so I'm going to be building a gaming PC (a little more powerful than Jeff's new one) in a few months. Do the benefits of playing this on PC outweigh the instability and slowdown problems? I'm a bit of a graphics whore and would like to run P4 in hi-res, but I don't want it to glitch out on me 40 hours into my savegame. Or will my PC be powerful enough that I won't need to worry about framerate and other problems?

#66 Posted by AlisterCat (5469 posts) -
@MikeHawk: Nothing save game related glitches up. If you enable anti-aliasing there are some minor graphic glitches, and the slow downs occur when certain objects or effects are not emulated correctly but they are rare enough. It looks really good compared to playing it on a PS2.
#67 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -
@AlisterCat: ok, i'll definitely emulate it then :)
#68 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

Character models scale up pretty well, any 2D though...woof.

#69 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@angeln7 said:
" Oh man this do look great you could bearly see the Characters faces in the PS2 game , some of you guys are saying that the game has slowdowns?  "
Am I the only person who sees what he did there?

@Vonocourt said:
" Character models scale up pretty well, any 2D though...woof. "

I didn't really notice the 2D stuff looking bad; it's quite clear that the 2D stuff was rendered at a higher resolution than the PS2 can produce, evidenced by the text boxes and the absent jaggy edges. The portraits look fine as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.