Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 interview with the director/producer

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mutha3

I'm suprised this hasn't been posted yet. I've only just recently seen it translated on siliconera from another GB member:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/22/behind-the-design-of-persona-4/

Some cool tidbits:

The Shadow-personae, on the other hand, were created by Hashino singlehandedly without much outside discussion. They were specifically created with the feeling of “reality” in mind, and Hashino decided on their appearance and names on his own. However, in the case of the girls (Yukiko and Chie for the most part), he had to enlist the help of some of the female staff. Most of the personal problems that lay behind the Shadows’ creation were based off of the team’s personal experiences that they had felt during high school, or experiences that they had witnessed friends go through.

The Persona team, according to Hashino, was a very relaxed group of people. While he had only been a part of it since Persona 3, he had worked with most of the main players before while they were still working on the Dreamcast.

The team were an easy-going lot, Hashino revealed. For example, when they usually created a game, the team would compile a document with all the information about the game contained within. However, in the case of P4, they chose not to. When they idea was considered, the team figured that they had a vague sense of what was going into the game already, so they didn’t require one.

Hashino also jokingly revealed that they would never make that mistake again,  

The last questions Hashino was asked dealt with the future of Persona 4. Currently, he has no intention to create a sequel, although he did mention that there was much material he wanted to explore.

In response to the inevitable, “Will there be a PSP version of Persona 4? […] I’m really interested in seeing the female main character!” Hashino responded that there weren’t any plans, but if enough fans asked for it, it was a possibility, and followed up with, “Doesn’t the female version of the protagonist already appear in the game?”

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Siliconera:

The glasses, too, were a last-minute decision because he had wanted the characters to appear stronger.    

That makes... little sense.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Siliconera:

The glasses, too, were a last-minute decision because he had wanted the characters to appear stronger.    

That makes... little sense. "
    A mistranslation, I suppose?'' Cooler'' would have more sense.

I guess its kinda apparent that it was a last-minute decision in the game as well, the glasses barely ever get mentioned.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By metalsnakezero
    @Siliconera:

I always knew glasses made me stronger :D
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @mutha3 said:
    "“Doesn’t the female version of the protagonist already appear in the game?” "
    Go, Bancho-chan!  I would totally buy that if it happened.

Also, glasses do give me power.  The power...to see with near 20/20 vision!
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mutha3

Man, the P4 boards are dead as hell:(

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @mutha3 said:
    " Man, the P4 boards are dead as hell:( "
    That's not very surprising, though.  The game's 2 years old and we practically talked about every single aspect of the game during the old Endurance Run days.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By scarace360

@mutha3:
    The endurance run is done of course its dead.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By ESREVER
    @mutha3 said:
    "

The team were an easy-going lot, Hashino revealed. For example, when they usually created a game, the team would compile a document with all the information about the game contained within. However, in the case of P4, they chose not to. When they idea was considered, the team figured that they had a vague sense of what was going into the game already, so they didn’t require one. "  
    Wait, so they didn't write up a GDD (Game-Design Document) for Persona 4? That probably led to some confusion during the development process, lol. 
    Interesting tid-bit of information.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    That's not very surprising, though.  The game's 2 years old and we practically talked about every single aspect of the game during the old Endurance Run days. "
    Now I regret not making an account when those days were still running:/

It was also my first experience with the Persona spin-offs, I had been avoiding them because I didn't like what I was seeing /oldassSMTfan

@scarace360 said:
    "  
    @mutha3: The endurance run is done of course its dead. "
    The boards were relatively well alive and were placed usually atleast rank 7 on the'' most popular games'' list for up until a year after the ER.

It wasn't till about a month ago when all activity started dieing and it dropped of the list entirely:(

DP however, got a little more populated in these times, probably because of the Euro release date!
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

Seems unsurprising really. I think a P4P seems unnecessary but god damn it I will pay hard cash for that game if they ever made one.

Hey, I love to talk about Persona 4 but I'm pretty sure everyone else is fed up of me talking about it.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mutha3
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " Seems unsurprising really. I think a P4P seems unnecessary but god damn it I will pay hard cash for that game if they ever made one.
    Same here. The only reason I haven't replayed it is because of the ER+2 playthrough= 210 hours spent playing P4.

I-I..I need a reason to justify spending any more time then that! My brain says Persona 2 remake, but my heart yearns for more P4:(
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think the popularity of the P4 board got moved to P3P and Catherine, respectively.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By NathHaw
    @mutha3 said:
    I just got here.  WHAT DID I MISS?  
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Brodehouse said:
    " I think the popularity of the P4 board got moved to P3P and Catherine, respectively. "
    Yeah, pretty much that. 

Looking back on old threads in this forum, I realize that I posted way too much.  Heh, I suppose that explains my 1k posts on the P4 boards...
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @mutha3 said:
    "Same here. The only reason I haven't replayed it is because of the ER+2 playthrough= 210 hours spent playing P4.  I-I..I need a reason to justify spending any more time then that! My brain says Persona 2 remake, but my heart yearns for more P4:( "
    Technically, I've played Persona 3 at least five times across P3 FES and P3P. It never hurts to play more Persona. Of course, I also have a lot of time and patience... 

COME ON MAN! I NEED SOME MORE P4!!!
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By thehexeditor
    @eroticfishcake said:
     COME ON MAN! I NEED SOME MORE P4!!! "
    HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!!!
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mutha3
    @Brodehouse said:

" I think the popularity of the P4 board got moved to P3P and Catherine, respectively. "

P3P is pretty dead and Catherine is dying:/.....

So uh, what about that Persona 4 interview, huh guys!

@FluxWaveZ said:

Looking back on old threads in this forum, I realize that I posted way too much.  Heh, I suppose that explains my 1k posts on the P4 boards... "

And I though I was crazy in the DP boards!

@eroticfishcake said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    "Same here. The only reason I haven't replayed it is because of the ER+2 playthrough= 210 hours spent playing P4.  I-I..I need a reason to justify spending any more time then that! My brain says Persona 2 remake, but my heart yearns for more P4:( "
    Technically, I've played Persona 3 at least five times across P3 FES and P3P. It never hurts to play more Persona.
    I'm scared to ask, but....how many time did you play Persona 4? Did you watch the ER?
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @thehexeditor said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:
     COME ON MAN! I NEED SOME MORE P4!!! "
    HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!!! "
    Oh FUCK IT! I'm gonna indulge in some Civ 5. ONE MORE TURN!!!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @mutha3 said:
    " P3P is pretty dead and Catherine is dying:/....."
    The P3P forum is pretty dead and it's going to stay that way, but Catherine's has only slowed down as there's really nothing to talk about right now.  It'll pick up when an eventual North American release approaches and we get more news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.