Persona 4 is hard!

• 67 results
#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I enjoyed the Endurance run, it was very funny and very enjoyable. I went and bought the game a while ago and am like 6 hours in. I'm currently stuck on the Yukiko boss fight, I'm lvl 14 average and can't beat her, when I decided to go and train for a bit, I went home and got a phonecall from Youske saying they'd found a dead body, Yukiko's. Any tips on that boss fight would be helpful, also do you think the game is hard to?

#2 Edited by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

Yukiko is pretty much the hardest boss in the game. Its all smooth sailing after that.

It also seems that you already waited till the last day possible to do the dungeon.

quite a conundrum.

I've only played the game one playthrough, so let's see if the community can help you out.

I'd say go grind some more, but if memory serves me right, enemy respawn levels in that dungeon are really low. Try to get to Lv 20.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

Go fuse Senri

you're welcome (but no it's not really that hard, P3 was harder)

#4 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

@Hizang: I beat Yukiko's boss on my first try. I don't remember the fine details from the fight but I would suggest watching the episode of the ER where they fight the boss so you can see what works and what doesn't. Identify weaknesses for the enemies (the boss has two side kicks right?) and basically assign roles to your party. For example, have one person cast a buff on their turn, one person heal, etc.

#5 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Played through Persona 4 without much trouble altough admittedly I started when the endurance run was at like ep 100 so I had the basics pretty much on lock.

#6 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@PantyshotMQN said:

Yukiko is pretty much the hardest boss in the game. Its all smooth sailing after that.

It also seems that you already waited till the last day possible to do the dungeon.

quite a conundrum.

I've only played the game one playthrough, so let's see if the community can help you out.

I'd say go grind some more, but if memory serves me right, enemy respawn levels in that dungeon are really low

Without spoiling it for the OP I thought the boss from the 'game' dungeon was the hardest, but Yukiko did kick my ass a fair bit too, damn princes.

@Laketown said:

Go fuse Senri

I think P3 is harder but kinda for the wrong reasons. The AI make everything much more annoying to deal with I thought. I'm playing P3P on hard now though and that has been pretty damn difficult even with full control.
#7 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@Ygg said:

@PantyshotMQN said:

quite a conundrum.

I'd say go grind some more, but if memory serves me right, enemy respawn levels in that dungeon are really low

Without spoiling it for the OP I thought the boss from the 'game' dungeon was the hardest, but Yukiko did kick my ass a fair bit too, damn princes.

@Hizang said:

I enjoyed the Endurance run, it was very funny and very enjoyable.

uh....

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@Ygg said:

@PantyshotMQN said:

quite a conundrum.

@Hizang said:

I enjoyed the Endurance run, it was very funny and very enjoyable.

uh....

Well that's the risk of not reading the post from the OP
#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Laketown said:

Go fuse Senri

Some of Persona 3's bossfights were really mean, why did you make me remember?

#10 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I didn't do it right away cause I thought it's be a cakewalk, but it's not! I think I might start the game again and buff up from the get go, but dude 7 hours!

#11 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

I didn't have much trouble with her boss battle; sounds to me like you may have bad time management in the game, considering you seem to have waited til the very last day to go save her.

If it's at that point, you'll just have to grind like no other, hope you have enough money to pay the damn fox at that early on in the game for heals, and try to beat her that way. If not... You can always start over, with better time management (I always try to save the people as quickly as I can, then spend the rest of the time how I want).

#12 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -

Yeah, I'm finding it hard as well, but my solution is to just grind a lot more and face bosses when I'm a higher level than they were. I'm about 19 hours in and I've died about 5 times (all on bosses). It's not as hard as Persona 3 is though, at least in persona 4 when you die it's all your fault; in Persona 3 it was mostly the fault of the terrible AI.

#13 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -
@TwilitEnd656: He doesn't have the fox. You don't get him until...like, after Kanji or something?  

OP, if you're struggling with the resources you have, you simply have to grind out lower level enemies with the Rush button. Takes forever, but you won't risk losing SP or dying and it guarantees at least a few levels before they become worthless enemies to grind. If you have an older save (I recommend having at least two saves for SMT games), then go back and fuse something better. 

If you think she's a bitch, try some of the SMTIII or DDS bosses, such bullshit sometimes. Or P3 even...the end boss can be the most annoying thing ever (Charm -> Diarahan anyone?). The end boss in P4 is hilariously easy in comparison, but P4 does have some really annoying bosses later on. 
#14 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3068 posts) -

I remember Eligor being useful in this fight.  Make sure you have someone on hand to block fire attacks, and it might be easier to leave Chie down instead of dealing with the boss getting extra turns from knocking her over.  Red wall is probably the best solution to that, but it's kind of a pain to get a hold of unless you feel like leveling up Slime and fusing it away to some other Persona (so that you won't be weak to fire yourself on those turns).  Good luck!

#15 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

You could always play on Easy.

#16 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Nah, P4 is prettty damn easy. You get a lot of tools to break the game. Let me quote an earlier post I made on the same subject:

@Ujio: Its possible to beat her now, though, you'll either need a lot of luck or a lot of patience. You should probably just fight on floor 7 for a bit. Anyways, the Personas you have is ESSENTIAL to fight efficiently, its far more effective then grinding levels, your fusing options are limited right now but keep that in mind. Anyways, you're underleveled, you must have been avoiding enemies like a plague, get to level 14, dude.

Level a slime up to level 4 to get a red wall and pass it on to a higher level Persona(preferably, Senri)

Fuse a Senri and make sure he gets a Zio/garu or a strong physical. Pull Izanagi out your compendium and make sure to cast Rakunda on Yukiko or if you wanna be patient about it, get a Persona with Tarunda(Buffs are very important in this game)

Lucky, but quick route:

MC:strong phys/zio/garu or Rakunda or Redwall(On chie)
Yosuke:Sonic Punch(on Yukiko)
Chie: Mabufu+Skewer(on yukiko)

Competly ignore the charming prince and focus on attack. Heal only when absolutely necessary, ignore status ailment's ETC.

Patient route:

MC: Strong phys/zio/garu or Tarunda or Red wall or heal
Yosuke:Dia or Sonic punch
Chie:Mabufu 2X

Make sure to keep knocking down Yukiko's ATK whenever it reverts, first take out the charming prince while you keep delivering minor damage to Yukiko with Mabufu. Then focus on Yukiko. This way is pretty SP-intensive, so be sure to have full SP.

The guy in question was lvl 11-12

@PantyshotMQN said:

I'd say go grind some more, but if memory serves me right, enemy respawn levels in that dungeon are really low. Try to get to Lv 20.

wat

no 

don't do that.
#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4598 posts) -

Try and gain another level, I beat her on 15. And make sure to have a fire resistant Persona like senri. I used a leveled up Ukobach, because I had been using hum throughout the dungeon.
Tacticswise, Play aggresive. Damage before healing and make sure to keep the little princefucker down with bufu "regular bufu, mabufu drains too much sp on Chie for a long fight". Spam damaging spells and pray to god that Charlie doesn't get the receiving end of an fear,chandelier combo.
It might take a few tries because some luck is involved. But don't give up! After this there is only two hard bosses, and they are both less of a challenge compared to yuki.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Boss is pretty much a joke with Senri from what I remember.

But also I hardcore grinded to like level 20 before I fought her for some reason.

Anyway, like others have said, you need way better time management. You pretty much want to get the dungeon out of the way as soon as it opens up, not wait until the last possible day.

#19 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

If you have to you can let her die then go back a week. You may be able to keep your level but never haveing to do this I'm not sure if it works that way.

As far as the fight if you want to go this way get slim to level 4 then fuse him with red wall. MAKE SURE whatever you fuse him into gets red wall. Then put red wall on Chie. If this is not the way you wan't to do things let Chie die and keep her down, no need to waste good healing items on someone who'll keep dieing.Focus on keeping MC alive (with out a Persona that nulls or is strong to fire keep his health around 50%) Don't start over 3 hours of all talk and no play is a lot.

#20 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Can't be that hard to have 4 people from Giantbomb who were rather unfamiliar with the game & all were able to finish it. GLHB

#21 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@PantyshotMQN said:

wat no don't do that.

See what i mean? It's been awhile.

Listen to mutha, he knows. lol

#22 Posted by Hailinel (24395 posts) -

You want hard? Play the PS2 editions of Persona 3. Uncontrollable party members, a fatigue system that prevents you from level grinding as much as you want, and a final boss with like thirteen forms.

#23 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

You want hard? Play the PS2 editions of Persona 3. Uncontrollable party members, a fatigue system that prevents you from level grinding as much as you want, and a final boss with like thirteen forms.

yeah but you can beat the reaper easily if you know how to cheese him, and once you grind in Monad even for like 30 minutes, the final boss is the easiest.]

I agree with you, but it's still not that hard. It's no nocturne for example

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24395 posts) -

@Laketown said:

@Hailinel said:

yeah but you can beat the reaper easily if you know how to cheese him, and once you grind in Monad even for like 30 minutes, the final boss is the easiest.]

All very true. Even at its hardest, Persona 3 is a relative cakewalk compared to Nocturne.

#25 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Hizang: Spoilers? Goddamit, c'mon dude.
#26 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3068 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Laketown said:

@Hailinel said:

All very true. Even at its hardest, Persona 3 is a relative cakewalk compared to Nocturne.

I still have nightmares about Matador.  Sadly, my copy of the game had the uncanny glitch of becoming unplayable after acquiring a Deathstone for the first time.  The cathedral/fusion system became unable to load, and the whole thing shut down- but I still felt awesome about getting as far as I did without a ton of trouble.  My wins against Daisoujou and Matador, though?  Entirely luck.
#27 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -
@iDarktread said:

No shit. Spoiler warnings people! It's plain common courtesy. I'm at the part where it becomes obvious that Shadow Yukiko will be a future boss fight (roughly three hours in), but still.

**facepalm**
#28 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@Hailinel said:

Agreed. I loved P3, but in terms of difficulty, Nocturne and DDS are in another universe altogether.
#29 Posted by AlisterCat (5531 posts) -

Fuse Senri, as he is null fire. memorize the pattern, so you know when to guard with Chie to stop her getting knocked down. My main advice would be to knock down and then dizzy the prince whenever possible. You can't avoid him healing her unless you kill him but he takes so long to kill you should just dizzy him and focus your efforts on Yukkiko.

Do not play the game like they did in the endurance run. It is easily possible to clear every dungeon on the first day, you just have to manage your SP and tactics. Focusing on physical skills and having a lot of healing skills + healing items is a valid tactic that doesn't drain SP. You don't need to exploit weaknesses every time. If you need general help/tips and tricks for how to play the game I and I'm sure a lot of other people would be willing to help.

#30 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
I still have nightmares about Matador.  Sadly, my copy of the game had the uncanny glitch of becoming unplayable after acquiring a Deathstone for the first time.  The cathedral/fusion system became unable to load, and the whole thing shut down- but I still felt awesome about getting as far as I did without a ton of trouble.  My wins against Daisoujou and Matador, though?  Entirely luck.
The Trumpeter.....**shivers**
#31 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@QuistisTrepe said:
@iDarktread said:

No shit. Spoiler warnings people! It's plain common courtesy. I'm at the part where it becomes obvious that Shadow Yukiko will be a future boss fight (roughly three hours in), but still.  **facepalm**
*sigh* 

3 hours in isn't bad, but it's still a bit irritating.
#32 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
@QuistisTrepe said:
@iDarktread said:

No shit. Spoiler warnings people! It's plain common courtesy. I'm at the part where it becomes obvious that Shadow Yukiko will be a future boss fight (roughly three hours in), but still.  **facepalm**
*sigh*  3 hours in isn't bad, but it's still a bit irritating.
I don't really know if any part of P4 classifies as spoilers when the entire game is on display on this site....
#33 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@iDarktread
I don't think I need to provide spoiler bars for a 4 year old game, next you'll be going crazy when I tell you that Snape Killed Dumbledore!
#34 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

@Hailinel: Persona 3 really wasn't that hard. I agree that not being ablt to control your party members is dumb and I still don't get why if MC goes down it's game over but with the right items it's not that bad. Nyx was pretty easy, just grind Monad till you hit lev 99 and your set.

#35 Posted by FEnergyLegs (63 posts) -

Just fuse a fire resistant persona and go to town.  Healing is a very important thing and it is a thing you should do, so do it. I don't think buffs/debuffs are important at that point in the game since its been a long ass time, but it might be viable to use those. Anyways, Persona 4 really isn't that difficult at all especially when compared to other games in the Megaten franchise. It just requires a little tactics.

And as for the spoilers jesus fucking christ people. The game is three years old, if you don't want spoilers at this point don't go on goddamn forums about the game. I think that should be common sense. 

#36 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Nux said:

@Hailinel: Persona 3 really wasn't that hard. I agree that not being ablt to control your party members is dumb and I still don't get why if MC goes down it's game over but with the right items it's not that bad. Nyx was pretty easy, just grind Monad till you hit lev 99 and your set.

this is about how I feel, I don't see how everyone keeps saying persona 3 is hard. The only issue I had was maybe the roulette boss and I only died once due to my own error. XP

@FEnergyLegs said:

And as for the spoilers jesus fucking christ people. The game is three years old, if you don't want spoilers at this point don't go on goddamn forums about the game. I think that should be common sense. 

It's common curtsey to at least put spoilers in tags, if you cannot handle that may I suggest not posting in forums ect. ect. ect. Also, don't be a douche about it.

Back OT: I had issues with Yukiko's boss as well, your not alone, she whooped on me about three times so I went and leveled to 20 and she still have me a hard fight, but I won. XD
#37 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Nothing a little grinding can't fix. Also wait tell the damn game dungeon where the bird random's might kill you in one turn.

#38 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

@Catolf said:

@Nux said:

this is about how I feel, I don't see how everyone keeps saying persona 3 is hard. The only issue I had was maybe the roulette boss and I only died once due to my own error. XP

Man I forgot all about the Roulette boss, that guy sucked. He killed me twice once my error and the other was just poor luck. But your right besides this boss battle Persone 3 was pretty easy, even the Answer which forced you to play on hard was pretty easy.

#39 Posted by VanTesla (246 posts) -

It's easy on easy. Use Ice on her and then pile drive her.
#40 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -
@FEnergyLegs said:
The game is three years old, if you don't want spoilers at this point don't go on goddamn forums about the game. I think that should be common sense.  

Uh, no.
#41 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I thought it was pretty easy on normal. We'll see what happens on the expert run I started, though.

#42 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

So I'm at THAT battle now and I can see what people are talking about. My crew is at level 13, the clouds are starting to appear so I probably have another day to go back into the world, stock up and then grind, and maybe fuse a persona or two.

I've already noticed that buffs/debuffs don't always work as advertised. Sukunda/Sukakaja don't seem to make any difference whatsoever in this game at least on this boss anyway. I was trying to use these spells to get Chie more involved in the fight, but that has backfired so far. Oddly enough, when I don't cast those spells, she wound up evading the fire attacks that she couldn't avoid when buffed at the same time the boss' accuracy was impaired, weird.

#43 Posted by Turambar (6738 posts) -
@Hizang said:
I didn't do it right away cause I thought it's be a cakewalk, but it's not! I think I might start the game again and buff up from the get go, but dude 7 hours!
Just some advice for the rest of the game.  Always, always do the dungeons first before anything else.  The reason for that is as long as someone is in the TV, it will lock you out of potential S.Link days with your party member as they will simply ask if you would like to go in the TV.
#44 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Nux said:

@Catolf said:

@Nux said:

Man I forgot all about the Roulette boss, that guy sucked. He killed me twice once my error and the other was just poor luck. But your right besides this boss battle Persone 3 was pretty easy, even the Answer which forced you to play on hard was pretty easy.

Yeah, that guy wasn't fun if you didn't get the luck of the draw, but if you were lv 99 (i made sure EVERYONE was so i could be picky about who went to the end with me) then you had really no issues, even the reaper was a cakewalk.
#45 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -
@Catolf said:
@Nux said:

@Catolf said:

@Nux said:

Yeah, that guy wasn't fun if you didn't get the luck of the draw, but if you were lv 99 (i made sure EVERYONE was so i could be picky about who went to the end with me) then you had really no issues, even the reaper was a cakewalk.
I died on the final boss like five times because I didn't know what I was doing. I stumbled my way through that entire game and barely came out alive; which is why I'm terrified to play the Answer.
#46 Posted by FEnergyLegs (63 posts) -
@QuistisTrepe said:
@FEnergyLegs said:
The game is three years old, if you don't want spoilers at this point don't go on goddamn forums about the game. I think that should be common sense.  

Uh, no.
I don't see why the community should be forced to cater to you simply because you missed the persona 4 wagon back when it came out. The purpose of a designated board for a game is to discuss the game, and three years after-the-fact you can not expect there to be the same type of discussion as when the game first was released. Three years ago, or hell even two years ago, there would have been tons of new players who were willing to discuss specific parts of the game. However, at this point the majority of people have completed the game and thus the center of focus shifts from specific aspects to the game as a whole.
#47 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

@Hizang: Go play P3:FES if you want hard brother!

#48 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
I died on the final boss like five times because I didn't know what I was doing. I stumbled my way through that entire game and barely came out alive; which is why I'm terrified to play the Answer.
owch, I'm sorry about that. The only issue I had was when:

@FEnergyLegs said:
I don't see why the community should be forced to cater to you simply because you missed the persona 4 wagon back when it came out. The purpose of a designated board for a game is to discuss the game, and three years after-the-fact you can not expect there to be the same type of discussion as when the game first was released. Three years ago, or hell even two years ago, there would have been tons of new players who were willing to discuss specific parts of the game. However, at this point the majority of people have completed the game and thus the center of focus shifts from specific aspects to the game as a whole.
Thats why you make specific threads to discuss spoilers, while others are and will continue to be spoiler free, what is not to get? I understand by your post count that you new here, but this is whe way forums work, if you look above I have a spoiler tag? Cause it's a polite way of saying a spoiler without blinding someone who is new to the game. Not everyone jumped on the persona 4 bandwagon and they shouldn't have had too. No one plays games the same way.
#49 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -
@Catolf: That exact thing happened to me. I had revived my party so much that the order was fucked up in such a way that the MC went last which meant I couldn't tell whether Moonless Gown was going to be up next turn or not. That, and the spell at the end that can cause a random status effect to all your party, which killed me instantly the first time I got that far.
#50 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

@supermike6 said:

@Catolf said:
@Nux said:

@Catolf said:

@Nux said:

Don't worry The Answer may force you to play on Hard but the game is pretty easy. The game starts you at level 20 and is a bit different in how you explore and get itams and sutff but over all its not that bad. If you know how to play a Persona game then you won't even be able to tell is on Hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.