Persona 4 The Animation - Thread

#1 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

...You know because we don't have enough threads on that subject matter! In all seriousness I agree that we need some sort of place to contain all the talk about the Anime once it gets underway, so here it is.

Its also worth mentioning that metalsnakezero will also be doing a blog on the show on a weekly basis.

US VIEWERS:

The following are both showing the series alongside one another

I'm sure others will keep everyone up to date with the multiple viewing options, once they become available. I know AnimeVice will likely have something on the show too but I'm assuming that the users don't always overlap with one another.

UK VIEWERS:

UK viewers can find Persona 4 streaming on:

#2 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

I'll be doing a weekly blog on both AnimeVice and here. Also picture dump time:

#3 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma:Using P4G art for a P4A thread? Blasphemy!

The  PVs for this have looked all right, but I really, really can't get over the staff working on this...
#4 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

I haven't seen this posted yet(but I also haven't been keeping up on GB forums latelty), but this is the latest PV.

Its kinda funny how they're SEVERELY overusing gradients just like Soejima himself(goddamn, that man loves his gradient). I dunno, so far all of the animation we've seen looks very stable and consistent. There's also some neat visual tricks and flourishes going on in all the scenes shown so far. 
#5 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@WatanabeKazuma:Using P4G art for a P4A thread? Blasphemy! The PVs for this have looked all right, but I really, really can't get over the staff working on this...

Is it? How embarrassing! I shall amend it shortly. I blame metalsnakezero as I took the picture from his profile!

@metalsnakezero: I'll add the links for the blogs to the OP if you want, once they're up.

#6 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma: Sure, just keep an eye out for when I post them.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

Somehow, this trailer makes the game/anime seem like it's horror-themed, which is interesting.
#8 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

Is this his room and is that Teddie's head?

#9 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3 said:

Somehow, this trailer makes the game/anime seem like it's horror-themed, which is interesting.
I think the first PV and the PV14 had that same horror feel as well(especially PV14).  Interesting! I hope they actually do something cool with it.
#10 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

Now I'm really excited for this! It's gonna be one hell of a birthday month for me!

#11 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I´ts there any word about the english localization would they get the same voice actors from the game for the DVD/Bluray release?

#12 Posted by FoxxFireArt (110 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma:

As I reported in the article I wrote for Anime Vice, first the episodes will be aired on Thursday on Anime Network. The next day they will be put on HULU & Hulu Plus.

http://www.animevice.com/news/persona-4-the-animation-is-licensed-and-simulcasting-schedule/5552/?page=1#identifier_486785

@AngelN7:

I don't know about dub. It's a bit too early for that sort of news. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Sentai Filmworks which will be releasing the series in the US also dubbed Highschool of the Dead, and that was horrible. Probably one of the worst anime dubs I've heard.

#13 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: That picture has suddenly given my aspirations to someday have a Teddie costume for Halloween. Ah, one can dream...

@FoxxFireArt: Yeah just saw that, I agree with the cross-promotion stuff as well in the article. If anything can encourage the mingling of both sites, it'd be Persona.

#14 Edited by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

@FoxxFireArt said:

I don't know about dub. It's a bit too early for that sort of news. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Sentai Filmworks which will be releasing the series in the US also dubbed Highschool of the Dead, and that was horrible. Probably one of the worst anime dubs I've heard.

But they got better with their other dubs so there is hope.

#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (110 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma:

I'm frequently trying to work on cross promotional articles to try and encourage the different sites to work together. Last week we had Anime Vice and Screened come together to have a user created Screening Room of the anime movie Summer Wars.

#16 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

That Teddie suit always bother me because in the game he looked smaller than most of the Inaba Scoobies when using the suit , yet when he took it out of it he was roughly the same size as them , it dosn´t make god damn sense!.

#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

This will be on Netflix right?

They have so much anime on there.

#18 Posted by ChrisOVC (129 posts) -

@AngelN7: He also did a bunch of sit-ups and GREW HIMSELF A BODY. None of it makes sense.

#19 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: That would happen if Sentai works out a deal with Netflix to do that. So only streaming sites to find P4 anime is on Hulu and Anime Network.

#20 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

@metalsnakezero said:

@Doctorchimp: That would happen if Sentai works out a deal with Netflix to do that. So only streaming sites to find P4 anime is on Hulu and Anime Network.

Is anime network free? I've never heard of the website. I went on there and I clicked Watch Anime Now and nothing happened....

But I think I have the cable channel or something, cause I see it on my OnDemand channels.

#21 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: The first 2 episodes of a anime is free to watch for regular members, you'll need to subscribe to see the other episodes. Not sure how it works with OnDemand.

#22 Posted by KevSlider (92 posts) -
#23 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -
#24 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@metalsnakezero said:

News: UK viewers can find Persona 4 streaming on Anime on Demand

Nice to see, updated the OP with the news.

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -

#26 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma said:

@metalsnakezero said:

Proxies, my friend.

Proxies.
#27 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

So the first episode should be on hulu in the US for free by mid-afternoon tomorrow, correct?

#28 Edited by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

@Starclopsofish said:

So the first episode should be on hulu in the US for free by mid-afternoon tomorrow, correct?

Yeah, it will first be on Anime Network at 3pm eastern and in 24 hours be on Hulu. This will happen every week.

#29 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4714 posts) -

Well, it aired in Japan about 40 minutes ago. It was good, although I don't speak Moon so I couldn't tell exactly what they were saying. Animation is awesome, the music is straight out of the game and gave me a boner, and the action at the end looked real sexy. Nanako is adorable.

Not sure whose subbing it but hopefully someone will have it up before the day's over.

#30 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@metalsnakezero said:

Proxies, my friend. Proxies.

What?! Proxies, me? Never!

#31 Posted by Wes899 (2109 posts) -

Theanimenetwork isn't loading for me anymore. :(

#32 Posted by punisherkaos (273 posts) -

@Wes899: yep same problem here probably just busy from everyone trying to load the page up at once :(

#33 Posted by Wes899 (2109 posts) -

@punisherkaos said:

@Wes899: yep same problem here probably just busy from everyone trying to load the page up at once :(

blarg. Oh well. I'm not going to die if I can't watch it until later.

#34 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Yep, looks like demand has brought the site to its knees. I'm having the exact same problem.

#35 Posted by punisherkaos (273 posts) -

Now im getting a page saying site will be down till about 4:30 cdt :( o well guess ill go play rage for a bit than.

#36 Edited by Bocam (3724 posts) -

So they covered up to where Yuu gets his persona. Adachi is still great. Also have some Chie.

#37 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

How long was the episode?

#38 Posted by Nexas (625 posts) -
@Bocam Wow really? It took like 3 hours in game to get to that point.
#39 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma said:

Yep, looks like demand has brought the site to its knees. I'm having the exact same problem.

this seems to be a running theme with Persona 4 related countdown website
#40 Edited by Bocam (3724 posts) -
#41 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -
#42 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Moroaka was cool. they butchered the junes theme, no Funky student. seems to be going at a fast pace. liked it overall

#43 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

It was WAY too fast paced for a first episode. I hope they slow things down later..

Other than that it was great; there were character art quibbles but it's not a big deal to me.

Liberal use of the game's music and certain things from the game itself (day transition, critical attack flash, etc.) totally won me over , heh.

#44 Posted by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

Its only 25 episodes, I'm sure they will go dbz-style when the main characters are fighting dungeon bosses

#45 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Finally got it to work, maybe its finally stable but I felt as though I slipped through.

EDIT: Oh my, I think this is the first time I've heard the opening theme and been given coherent lyrics to read!

#46 Posted by metalsnakezero (2291 posts) -

Pretty well done first episode. The pacing was indeed fast but got to the points in the story that mattered. I'll post my impressions later today when I can find some good quality screenshots.

#47 Posted by WhiteBrightKnight (166 posts) -

I agree it was a little fast but then again in the game the opening part was way too drawn out imo. Voice acting was good, I like the voice of Yu and think he acts very similarly to what I'd imagined he would. The voice of Izanagi was pretty badass as well, though I didn't think the fight scene was fantastic just okay. But hey, its the first fight against the weakest enemies. Looking forward to later episodes and how they're gonna handle the whole s-link/relationship stuff.

#48 Posted by Bocam (3724 posts) -

STOP TURNING ME GAY FOR YOU, YOSUKE

#49 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@thehexeditor said:

It was WAY too fast paced for a first episode. I hope they slow things down later..

My thoughts exactly.

Now I don't fault them at all for trying to cut P4's lengthy opening sequence short-- after all, this is an anime, and that kind of story telling wouldn''t have worked

That being said, even as someone who played the original game, I had a hard time following what was going on. The scenes jumped around like crazy, Chie, Yosuke and Charlie accepted what was going around them WAY too fast and I think they completely failed in showing off Dojima and Nanako's dysfunctional relationship. I think if they had 5 extra minutes, they could have made the scenes flow into each other more elegantly and adress some of the rather important plot points they've skipped over.

The show looks very nice visually, though, and the Izanagi sequence was pretty damn badass. I dug it, but I'm not sure if its good to watch for anyone who isn't a P4 fan.

#50 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

Nanako is never not adorable.

Pretty good. Can't wait for more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.