Persona 4 The Animation - Thread

#201 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Eden of the East! Such a good show.

As for Persona, I can't get Episode 2 to load for whatever reason. I open the player but the window just stays blank. In general I seem to always have trouble with the animenetwork.

#202 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma: Same problem here.

#203 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

As for Persona, I can't get Episode 2 to load for whatever reason. I open the player but the window just stays blank. In general I seem to always have trouble with the animenetwork.

A friend of mine is having the same issue. I wonder if it's a case of the site just getting slammed with traffic?

Also, for those that aren't aware, to watch episode 2 on AN, you need to create a site account, though a subscription is not required.

#204 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11995 posts) -

I'll just wait for it to go on Hulu, since my experiences with Anime Network's player have been less than stellar, especially with internet as variable as mine.

#205 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@Sweep said:

I especially like how the game music just breaks out randomly as well, far too loud and inappropriate. Nailed it.

Had to read that a second time to understand what you were saying, but it's so true.

I don't know though... I love the music in Persona 4, but it doesn't make the transition to the anime very well. I think it's mostly because the quality sounds like it was ripped right off the PS2 disc without any touch-up work. Just feels stylistically off. Still loved that boss battle music.

But I'm done picking apart the series. I think it's overall great, mostly just to see the characters nicely animated. I'll keep watching it despite the fact that I already know where the plot is going.

Can't wait for the miscast of Bufu scene. Oh wait... that's not canon.

#206 Edited by AxleStukov (114 posts) -

Man, really liking how the Shadow fight went, can't wait to see how they'll do the others since the anime isn't pulling the "Hey it's boss time, go faint and be unconscious until the fight's over" thing the game did.

#207 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

This episode was pretty solid, I'll say.

#208 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Just saw episode 2, a few thoughts

I might be alone but i like teddy's expressons and animation.

great use of music fromt he game and transitions. Liked how the liquor store turned into the "battle area" where fight in the game take place.

will charlie use Izinagi for the while show, it was implied that he is zero and use multiple personas. Jack Frost cameo?

Overall better than the first episode , better pacing and mix of action and story. End theme was really cool

#209 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (763 posts) -

@slightconfuse said:

will charlie use Izinagi for the while show, it was implied that he is zero and use multiple personas. Jack Frost cameo?

If we don't at least see Black Frost and Rakshasa at some point, this show isn't canon.

I loved how they handled the Shadow fight in this episode. It added to the scene in a way the game couldn't. In Persona 4 the subject just has to sit unconscious while Charlie does all the work. In the anime, the Shadow is constantly harassing and humiliating the subject, and it even used the TVs to show him how much he sucks! I can't wait until they get to some of the more intense boss fights.

#210 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

A friend of mine is having the same issue. I wonder if it's a case of the site just getting slammed with traffic?

Also, for those that aren't aware, to watch episode 2 on AN, you need to create a site account, though a subscription is not required.

I couldn't even get to the sign up page, apparently my session had "expired" every time I tried to load it.

It must have been the demand, it works fine now. I can't see it being very reliable if we have to go through the same thing every week.

#211 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Pretty great episode.

Teddie's voice is kinda annoying though.

#212 Edited by Ketch (32 posts) -

Good episode.

Chie is awesome in the anime. I didn't really warm up to her in the game but she's pretty cool.

#213 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Is it just me or was Teddie a little crappy looking?

I do like the corruption effect on the shadows.

I can see it coming together a little now, I was a little worried after the pace of the first episode but I think this seemed a little more steady.I hope that the pace keeps at a brisk rate until most of the investigation team is together and then the show can do a bit more of its own thing.

#214 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3109 posts) -

Favorite part of the episode? The metric fuckton of cranes on the table just before it showed the preview with Yukiko and the castle. Getting diligent behind the scenes!

#215 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

That effect that "Reach Out to the Truth" had on people in the first episode? "Awakening" + "I'll Face Myself -Battle-" did that for me.

Also, creepy-ass Mitsuo in the rain is incredibly creepy. So is Igor's moving smile as he talks.

#216 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

This show is pretty good.

#217 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@AxleStukov said:

Man, really liking how the Shadow fight went, can't wait to see how they'll do the others since the anime isn't pulling the "Hey it's boss time, go faint and be unconscious until the fight's over" thing the game did.

I'm not sure if I like that, though.....I mean conveniently falling unconscious is a little silly(or not, if its an effect of a shadow unleashing) but I think if I were being chased by  a huge lovecraftian horror, my immediate instinct would be "survival" rather than "shame".

@WatanabeKazuma said:

Is it just me or was Teddie a little crappy looking?

I thought Teddie sucked in this episode. I really like him in the game, but in this....its partly due to his VA, but man, the director for this REALLY has no idea what "tone" means. Teddie jumping around making silly remarks in the Yosuke fight did nothing but undermine what's going on.
#218 Posted by Einherjar (71 posts) -

Anybody know where I can watch this outside the US? Tried both Hulu and ANN, and searched on youtube, but came up with nothing.

#219 Edited by Shineichimaesendo (20 posts) -

@Einherjar:

Here you go duder! :)

Episode 1

Episode 2

#220 Posted by Einherjar (71 posts) -

@Shineichimaesendo: Thanks man, cheers. ;)

#221 Posted by maragidyne (13 posts) -

Wow, I'm probably late to this, but.

I actually like the animation, which seems to be the general consensus here? Although I do giggle over some moments of terrible animation (the scene where Yu's helping Yosuke off the ground after pulling him out of the trash can? There are two of him for a second), I really, really like what they're doing overall with it. How they characterize Yu, the way the dialogue managed to get everything in without cutting out too much - although I was disappointed with there not being the dream sequence - and the fact that the game music is still used.

All and all, I guess I just really like this adaptation! I'm getting used to the Narukami thing still, but this is just really fascinating. Especially the way they're doing everything with the Shadows! I really, really loved how they handled Yosuke's shadow.

And, uh, I'm done. 8D Whoops, this was rambling.

#222 Edited by AxleStukov (114 posts) -

Well, looks like the music club might end up being in the anime, and Kou and his balls are the sports club of choice. Of course this could just be Ayane getting a cameo appearance and nothing more.

WHO WANTS TO HELP ME OVERCOME MY SELF-ESTEEM ISSUES?

Edit: Finished watching the episode, the Shadow Chie scene was absolutely amazing... and THIS... THIS!

AHA! IS THIS OUR CHANCE?
Yu's a cheating bastard, Pyro Jack is level 34!
#223 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said: 

I think they could have taken, or I should say "they should take" some creative liberties that fans would possibly appreciate more than a literal story translation. Maybe some flashbacks of when Nanako's mom was alive and the Dojima household was all fun and games? Maybe some back story on Yosuke's life before he moved to Inaba? Maybe scenes of Chie and Yukiko's childhoods that was a small part in P3P?

I'm glad that a part of what I wanted to happen happened in episode 3. This was probably my favorite episode, and it was surprising to see some of Narukami's responses not just be bland and straightforward like when he kids about crying because of Teddie's bite or when he says that he wished he recorded Yukiko's Midnight Channel. It's only been 3 episodes so far, but each one has been better than the last and I'm really enjoying that.
#224 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

I totally forgot about episode 3, I'm slipping.

@AxleStukov: And is that a screen grab with Yosuke's pimp jacket? Oh my god...

#225 Posted by JeanLuc (3604 posts) -

(Watches Yukiko on the midnight Channel, get a call from Yosuke)

Yosuke: Did you see that?

Yu (Charlie): I wish I taped it.

I could not stop laughing XD

#226 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2058 posts) -

Episode 3 was so badass. From the chie shadow scene, to when Yu switched to Pyro Jack, everything was just so good.

#227 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Each episode has been better than the last. Hope it keeps up!

#228 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Some nice variations happening now, looks like the slavish devotion to the source might just have been in establishing the plot.

@InfiniteGeass said:

Episode 3 was so badass. From the chie shadow scene, to when Yu switched to Pyro Jack, everything was just so good.

It was.

@mutha3 said:

Each episode has been better than the last. Hope it keeps up!

It is.

#229 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@wasteguru said:

Same here. My god, I was not expecting that! Awesome episode all around.

#230 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

I just started another game of Persona 4 (totally new, not new game +) to test out PCSX2 (runs P4 very well nowdays) and I noticed that it was weird that Chie's Shadow was weak to wind instead of fire. I guess since that's the first boss that wasn't a straight-up tutorial, they just wanted to make it easy with Youske there.  Neat that they had Yu bring in Pyro Jack.

#231 Posted by metalsnakezero (2340 posts) -

Is it me or was Episode 3 pretty awesome. The imagery, the funny moments, the action scenes, the story at this point, and then Pyro Jack!

#232 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

episode 3 was really good, wonder what other persona Yu will get

#233 Edited by supermike6 (3610 posts) -

Episode 3 was awesome!!!! I love this show!

#234 Posted by Rapid (1386 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@wasteguru said:

Same here. My god, I was not expecting that! Awesome episode all around.

Great Episode, shame that Yu's might not go the drama club route by the looks of it, I enjoyed Yumi's story in the game.

#235 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

These are getting pretty great, and that hallway fight scene was awesome. I mean, who needs knives? Yosuke punches his card!

Amazing.

Alright, who wants to wager which persona Yu'll (wow, that looks weird as heck) use for Chariot? ..Thor? Eligor?

#236 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@Devoid said: 

Alright, who wants to wager which persona Yu'll (wow, that looks weird as heck) use for Chariot? ..Thor? Eligor?

Mara. 

Wait... Mara's part of the Tower arcana, not Chariot. Oh well.
#237 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

"I think it's great that he used my bro's persona first HEE HO" -J.F.

#238 Edited by khidi (37 posts) -

@Devoid said:

Haven't played for a while but my vote goes for valkyrie, dunno why. (If it was chariot in P4 that is)

Also, WHEN WILL TEDDY ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING?

"I wish I taped it" made my day really.

#239 Posted by WhiteBrightKnight (166 posts) -

@wasteguru said:

this was so good. I also love how at the Junes right before Yu and Yosuke got arrested there were a bunch of origami cranes on the table. Little nods make it SO GOOD

#240 Posted by NathHaw (2799 posts) -

Getting ready to finish ep.3. I think it's a little strange how the battle sequences happen, but it's still pretty much like playing the game. Seem to go fairly hand in hand. Hulu commercials are kind of annoying, but that's a small price to pay.

#241 Posted by Akimoto (13 posts) -

I'm glad this series is proving to be such a fun time, and this sure is becoming quite the lively place for discussion. One strange but awesome thing is the whole "gotta catch 'em all" thing in the end credits, where it prominently shows the most recently acquired arcana joining the rest in that spinning circle, with the ones not yet seen being blank.

One reason that Jack Frost was not featured might be that using the mascot of a company in a work made by different people could be a bit iffy. After all, the Persona team isn't all of Atlus.

#242 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

Just finished watching Episode 3 and DAMN! When Yu calls out Pyro Jack and the battle music kicks in, I got shivers. I fucking love this show.

#243 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

I rarely watch anime, and I've never watched one that wasn't dubbed for US viewing. I'm usually not a fan, but I'm down for watching this (for obvious reasons). How does it work, is it English subtitled? 

#244 Edited by Peanut (954 posts) -

Yeah, english sub. I just noticed, because I don't watch anime, that theanimenetwork.com airs it every Thursday and keeps it up to stream completely free is you just register an account. I'm so so thankful for that that I bought a subscription to their service, despite probably never using it.

#245 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I rarely watch anime, and I've never watched one that wasn't dubbed for US viewing. I'm usually not a fan, but I'm down for watching this (for obvious reasons). How does it work, is it English subtitled?

Yupp!

#246 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I needed the first two episodes to adjust but now I'm all over this show, can't wait to see Kanji.

#247 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If you like this show, you should try Angel Beats. Same director, it's a good mini-series and doesn't drag on like a lot of anime. It only has thirteen episodes.

I'm loving the anime adaption of this game.

#248 Posted by Swoxx (3006 posts) -

@Sooty said:

If you like this show, you should try Angel Beats. Same director, it's a good mini-series and doesn't drag on like a lot of anime. It only has thirteen episodes.

I fucking loved Angel Beats

#249 Edited by Peanut (954 posts) -
@Swoxx said:

@Sooty said:

I fucking loved Angel Beats

I actually just started watching that the other night. Seems great so far. 

Just so everyone knows, you can catch Episode 4 right now. So far I'm really loving how they're fleshing out the background of Chie and Yukiko's friendship. This was the kind of stuff I was hoping to see with the anime.
#250 Posted by AxleStukov (114 posts) -
Shut up, it's an endearing character trait.

Well, episode 4 was definitely a good one. Next week appears to start us on social linking, Yu will be joining one of the sports clubs and getting into shenanigans with Ai. Hoping these social link episodes are as entertaining and good as the shadow episodes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.