Persona 4: The Stage Show

#1 Edited by Sanj (2453 posts) -

Now, I know what you're thinking; "About damn time!", am I right?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114189-Persona-4-Is-Now-a-Stage-Show

The delightfully weird Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is being adapted yet again. This time, into a stage show.

So, let's count the various Persona 4 tie ins, shall we? We've got a manga, an anime, a remake for the upcoming PlayStation Vita and an absolutely, drop-dead-gorgeous fighting game. Now we can add "bizarre live action stage show" to the list, with the announcement of Persona 4: Visualive.

The show, which of course stars a glut of gorgeous Japanese talent, opens at the Sunshine Theater in Tokyo next March. As in Persona 4, the story follows a bunch of smugly fashionable teenagers in a rural highschool, as they deal with the pressures of school life and try to avoid being murdered by a magical television, it get's weirder, and more utterly compelling, from there.

Persona 4 won't be the first video game to make the jump to the stage. Capcom's popular Phoenix Wrightseries was adapted into an all-female musical back in 2008, which went on to be incredibly well received. It never received an official English release though, hopefully Persona 4 Visualive makes it across the pond.

Official site, which also has pictures of cast members: http://www.maql.co.jp/special/vlp4/

This is friggin' weird (and also kinda awesome).

#2 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

Is this play going to be 15 hours long or is there going to be major condensing?

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

What... The... Fuck... 
I love Persona 4. I really, really do. But this is INSANE.

#4 Posted by Commisar123 (1796 posts) -

I am actually at a lost of words. I'm not mad or happy or sad, I'm just stunned

#5 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Just read this on the official site, I don't know what to say. It seems like a dumb idea but it'll totally work in Japan. 

#6 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

What? WHY!?

#7 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Someone tell Atlus what "over-saturation" means.
#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10313 posts) -

Wow Japan... what the fuck? Just when I think I got them all figured out.

Though still, nothing could ever beat the absurdity that was the Phoenix Wright musical. Oh man... that shit was hilarious.

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -
#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11902 posts) -

Alright, this is clearly the part of this Persona 4 media blitz that I find confusing. I can deal with yet another "enhanced version", the fighting game looks genuinely cool, and I'm actively enjoying the anime, but this is the moment that makes me go "Wait, really?"

#11 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Hooray! This is... What I've always wanted...? =/

#12 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:

Alright, this is clearly the part of this Persona 4 media blitz that I find confusing. I can deal with yet another "enhanced version", the fighting game looks genuinely cool, and I'm actively enjoying the anime, but this is the moment that makes me go "Wait, really?"

Oh brother, it doesn't end here. I take it that you're not aware of the Persona 4 Social game for phones, the Persona 4 themed restaurant course or the monthly Persona magazine?

Christ, Atlus has never milked something as hard as P4. and I thought P3 was bad.....well, at least it isn't a remake of a remake.
#13 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

the Persona 4 themed restaurant course

why is this a thing that exists

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11902 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Oh brother, it doesn't end here. I take it that you're not aware of the Social game for phones, the Persona 4 themed restaurant course or the monthly Persona magazine? Christ, Atlus has never milked something as hard as P4. and I thought P3 was bad.....well, at least it isn't a remake of a remake.

O_O

You know, I'm all for Persona 4 getting its due, but at some point I don't exactly know how far "its due" actually extends. And why now, after 3 years?

#15 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

Atlus better be get a LOT of cash from this cow!

#16 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:

O_O

@Soren said:

It doesn't end there, my friends!

After refreshing yourself with with a crude ice-cream version of Yosuke's wrenches in that restaurant thing, why not try your luck at the Persona 4 lottery? If you're feeling up to it there'll be another Persona music live in July, next year. And if that still isn't enough, then get ready for the Persona 4 convention(organized by Atlus and Aniplex!)which will be taking place in a month or two in Japan!
#17 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

oh yeah and this persona 4 theather thing will apparantly have "special effects" which i assume means persona battles will be involved

this can only mean good things

#18 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Ehh, its Japan. This isn't unheard of.

#19 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Shock and fucking awe. I feel like Persona 4 backlash will be brewing in the lower reaches of the internet at this point.

#20 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

O_O

@Soren said:

After refreshing yourself with with a crude ice-cream version of Yosuke's wrenches in that restaurant thing, why not try your luck at the Persona 4 lottery? If you're feeling up to it there'll be another Persona music live in July, next year. And if that still isn't enough, then get ready for the Persona 4 convention(organized by Atlus and Aniplex!)which will be taking place in a month or two in Japan!

Fuck it. I'd go to a Persona 4 convention.

#21 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass: Persona music live actually sounds good (see what I did there!). I also like how Minato still has his hands in his pocket in the promo image.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

To everyone flipping their shit, this is nothing new.

#23 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

To everyone flipping their shit, this is nothing new.

Yep, much rather they do this than the Namco Bandai DLC everything in their Tales series.

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

First Persona 4 related project I have no interest in. Stage show? Yuck.

#25 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass: There are people who wouldn't go to a P4 convention? The cosplay would get redundant after a while, though.

@mutha3: Persona Music Live is nothing new. They've done that like twice before.

#26 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Hailinel

@endaround

Persona music live is the only recurring thing here.  The stage show, anime etc. milkage is a first. They have never milked anything as hard as they're milking P4 right now. It makes their P3 rush look humble by comparison.

So yeah, its definitely disconcerting. Atlus only seems interested in pouring its money into persona remakes, ports and shitty Persona side projects these days, and there doesn't seem to be much hope in the horizon seeing how the only thing we're seeing in the future right now is more Persona(followed by.....more Persona according to Hashino. I'm excited about P5, but sheesh....). I want more things like Catherine, please.
  @MrAristocrates

Yeah, those concerts are pretty cool actually. It kinda blows that they play the exact same songs every year. Hope the 2 year gap will give us some new material. I wanna hear Backside of the TV!
#27 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@mutha3 Once again, this is nothing new, particularly in regards to a popular anime or game getting a stage show adaptation.
#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -
@MrAristocrates said:

@InfiniteGeass: There are people who wouldn't go to a P4 convention? The cosplay would get redundant after a while, though.

I disagree. 

Plenty of possibilities. Of course, it'd have to be a "Persona" convention and not just a Persona 4 convention to really see diversity.
#29 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@mutha3 Once again, this is nothing new, particularly in regards to a popular anime or game getting a stage show adaptation.

And once again, it is for Atlus. 

And its not just about the stage show,  its about the stage show, the concert, the remake, the fighting game, the restaurant course, the anime, the lottery, the social game etc etc etc.

If you've been an Atlus fan before P4 or just generally like to see new ideas from talented people, there's plenty of reasons to flip your shit over this.
#30 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@Hailinel said:

And once again, it is for Atlus. And its not just about the stage show, its about the stage show, the concert, the remake, the fighting game, the restaurant course, the anime, the lottery, the social game etc etc etc. If you've been an Atlus fan before P4 or just generally like to see new ideas from talented people, there's plenty of reasons to flip your shit over this.

A lot of games get remakes these days. Hell, P3 got two. Concert series aren't anything new, either, and it wouldn't be the first concert for Persona music. The anime? P3 got an anime (not a good one, mind you). Social games aren't anything to freak about, either. Especially not since there's already a MegaTen free-to-play MMO.

As for some of the other things? The fighting game is definitely out there, in that no one seriously expected it to happen despite all of the fan art out there, but not so out there that it's ridiculous. The restaurant course and lottery? Those are strange, but no more bizarre than other game promotions in Japan. We're talking about a company whose licensed merchandise includes statuettes of Mara in a country where they turned Revolutionary Girl Utena of all things into a stage show and Pokemon has a dedicated Sunday morning variety show. Persona 4 was, comparatively speaking, one of Atlus's biggest hits ever; if the merchandizing opportunities seem ripe, I can't blame them for taking them. Once again, I see nothing to flip my shit about.

#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

I agree that some people need to calm down about this. Most of what Atlus is doing with Persona 4 has no significance to anywhere outside of Japan anyways, so it shouldn't really matter.

#32 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

@mutha3: No this isn't new. There have been phone games forever. Atlus had a Pokemon clone with an anime (that's buried somewhere). It had two releases of SMT Nocturne. They made a lot of money off of the photo booth craze. The amount of merchandizing has always been high, its just easier to find in the US now.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

O_O

@Soren said:

persona music live is for persona 3 too though, and they've done them before.

maybe SMT4 will come out one day

#34 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@mutha3 said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

O_O

@Soren said:

Technically, Strange Journey was going to be SMTIV, from what I understand.

#35 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@mutha3 said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

O_O

@Soren said:

Technically, Strange Journey was going to be SMTIV, from what I understand.

I want to be the hito shura and fuck up god, is that so much to ask

#36 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4621 posts) -

@endaround said:

Ehh, its Japan. This isn't unheard of.

Yes, this is why I'm confused. Why do some people seem so butthurt over this?

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Isn´t Atlus partnered with some other company Index or something like that , I thought it was them who were making those social/cellphone games if so then blame them, and besides some of that stuff dosn´t even come out of Japan so it´s really not a big deal, if were up to me I´ll turn RPGs into what FPS are so keep at it Atlus!.

#38 Edited by Devoid (429 posts) -

How strange. How the heck do you adapt something like this?

And hey, Persona Music Live is awesome. Though I don't think there's been enough new music since the last one to justify another one just yet.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Maybe there has.

#39 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

This will either be the most beautiful  work of art mankind has ever produced or the most horrendous turd ever shat onto the planet's surface.  Either way, it's going to be awesome.

They ARE going to film it, right?

#40 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Isn´t Atlus partnered with some other company Index or something like that , I thought it was them who were making those social/cellphone games if so then blame them, and besides some of that stuff dosn´t even come out of Japan so it´s really not a big deal, if were up to me I´ll turn RPGs into what FPS are so keep at it Atlus!.

Atlus was actually purchased by Index Corporation and is now a subsidiary. If you play the most recent games released by Atlus, you'll notice that while Atlus is listed as the publisher/developer, the copyright and disclaimer text now refer to Index.

#41 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@endaround said:

@mutha3: No this isn't new. There have been phone games forever. Atlus had a Pokemon clone with an anime (that's buried somewhere). It had two releases of SMT Nocturne. They made a lot of money off of the photo booth craze. The amount of merchandizing has always been high, its just easier to find in the US now.

Devil Children had a terrible two episode OVA....and nothing else. Nocturne had three releases total actually, if you count the bundle pack with Raidou.

Now point me in the direction of the Devil Children/Nocturne stage show, the monthly magazine, anime(in the case of Nocturne) or bizarre spin-off.
This only works if you're comparing all of Atlus' previous milking efforts combined , which is silly. Fact is, they've never gone so off the rails with promoting something. Look at this goddamn website, and look at the bar on the left: 

p-atlus.jp

Don't tell me Atlus would(well, could, really!) have done something like that 5 years ago.

@Hailinel said:

A lot of games get remakes these days. Hell, P3 got two. Concert series aren't anything new, either, and it wouldn't be the first concert for Persona music. The anime? P3 got an anime (not a good one, mind you). Social games aren't anything to freak about, either. Especially not since there's already a MegaTen free-to-play MMO.

There is quite a difference between an SMT branded MMO and  a silly phone tie-in especially when you consider what I was trying to convey. The former is a seperate project(that turned out terrible).  But, really, we're steering away from what I was getting at: 

Atlus has pretty much morphed into the Persona company these days, and that sucks. Stuff like this is a sad indication of that fact.

Also, I seriously can't  think of a company of the top of my head that's as remake happy as Atlus is these days. Not a single one. Atlus considers 2-3 years later a good time to release remakes. 

@Animasta said:

No, its for 3 and 4.

Not before we get another two remakes, a fighting game and a kart racing game from P5, though!
#42 Edited by Sanj (2453 posts) -

Eh, this stage show is only 5 days long and most likely a one time thing (for Persona 4 anyway). I don't see any real harm in it, and I think some people here are being bloody melodramatic. It's not like they are using any of the talent that creates the games to make the stage show or magazine (and why would they?), this is just a concoction of the Atlus marketing team who'll end up outsourcing to other companies to make this stuff happen . The only one I can think of who might lend his skills to a stage show is Shoji Meguro, i.e. for the music. The Persona team are still working on games; they most likely have little to nothing to do with any of this.

And regarding the remakes, why the hell not? The Persona games are some of the best JRPGs I've ever played, but they are nowhere near as well known as they deserve to be. It makes perfect sense to try and breathe new life into those games and give more people a chance to check 'em out. Persona 4 may be 2-3 years old, but it was a Playstation 2 game; the PS3/360 have been on the market for about 6 years. When I try and tell people how awesome Persona 4 is and then say "but it's on the PS2", they're like "ehhhh".

Of course I want new stuff, but I also want the Persona franchise to make more business sense to Atlus so they'll let the P-Team create that new stuff. If that means releasing remakes, doing stuff like a stage show and generally trying to make Persona more well known, so be it. The fact is, making good games is not enough any more, you really need to market the hell out of them to make them stand out. It's how the industry operates. Also, the fact that Catherine set a new Atlus sales record should be a clear indication that Atlus will not be opposed to letting the Persona team try out new ideas in the future.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, RELAX YA BATTYS.

#43 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

They aren't even really remakes. They are ports to other consoles with a bit of added material. They are closer to GOTY editions than remakes. They are in basically the same engine after all.

#44 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

http://andriasang.com/comzh9/p4_stage_makeup_shots/

This already looks extremely silly. Silver-haired Japanese dude?

#45 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

Wow, I'm impressed with how the protagonists look so far. Really accurate to the source material.

#46 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

They look weird, they shouldn't exist as real people, its freaking me out.

#47 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -
#48 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ Dude, this is nothing new. Similar stage shows have been based on anime, complete with costuming and oddly colored hair. If you're upset by this, you shouldn't be.
#49 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

@Hailinel: Of course it's nothing new; they do this all the time. And I'm not really upset about it, but I don't care for it at all. The fact that these are frequently done doesn't mean that I should be okay with any or all of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.