Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

persona 4 the xbox

peligroy2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By peligroy2k
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Atlus isn't going to waste their time porting Persona 4 to the Xbox 360. They need to use their resources to develop real games.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By agent_lost

yep, what we really need is Persona 5 on the Xbox 360 and PS3. But even that is a dream, Atlus is thinking of making Persona 5 on the PS2 since Persona 4 sold so well for what basically is a niche title.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

What they need now is Persona Gaiden, featuring Charlie Tunoko and Funkey Student as they riddle and "PER-SO-NA" their enemies into submission, commentated on by Jeff and Vinny.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By fr0br0

You found Atlus' one true weakness... A petition.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lieutenant

People still use online petitions? Those have never worked, ever. I don't see Persona going to the Xbox, let alone a HD platform anytime soon.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By RedSox8933

Persona 5 will most likely come to PS3 and 360. I wouldn't be surprised though if it just came to PS3.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn
    RedSox8933 said:
    "Persona 5 will most likely come to Wii."
    Fixed.  Also seriously, just buy a PS2.  They're maddeningly cheap and it's arguably the best video game system of all time.  If you don't own one, you fail.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red

They made Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2 because they have a huge audience, and they're much easier to make. Seeing as Atlus don't really develop PC or 360 games, I doubt that Persona will be coming to a Microsoft console anytime soon, but I think the Persona 5 will come to the PS3 (because that's where their audience is) or the Wii to reach a bigger audience and use an easier-to-develop-for console. I just can't see Persona 5 with waggle...

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By endaround

Since SMT games shares a lot of artwork and engine parts Persona 5 might be a 7th gen title to allow Atlus sales to cover the cost of moving over all teh series since Persona 4 sold really well.  But  as well as Persona 4 did, over 500,000 last I saw, it was likely just enough to makes a small profit on 7th gen consoles.  And it doesn't help Attlus' planning when Japanese ad US sales were pretty much equal meaning that they would likely have to do a multiconsole release.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

considering how much attention persona 4 has gotten being a ps2 game released in december 08, it really doesn't need to be ported. i don't know the sales number of the game but every time i listen to a destructoid podcast they're always talking about the game. then again they all seem crazy about jrpgs.

so i think the game probably was successful enough for them. you're taking huge risks developing a game for the 360 and ps3 these days. thats why we still see alot of ps2 and wii support.a game that sells 300,000 or more units on those platforms are more likely to make money than if they were on a next gen platform, and given the niche that is jrpgs it was a safe move on their part.

now i've never played any of the persona games but have always taken an interest to them. i hear they're porting/remaking persona 1 and 2 for the psp. thats a game i'm really interested in and i think its a great way to tap into the psp software lineup since i've always felt that system could be great for jrpgs yet i don't see very many of them. they could just take a dragon quest approach and go bat-shit insane and just develop future persona games on the psp/ds. that would make for an interesting move on atlus' part.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

people can put up as many petitions as they want, this isn't going to happen. When Atlus decides to make a game for this gen of systems maybe, but they aren't going to port their PS2 game over to the 360...its a waste of their money and they know it.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BinaryDragon
    Lieutenant said:
    "People still use online petitions? Those have never worked, ever. I don't see Persona going to the Xbox, let alone a HD platform anytime soon. "
    You know that the ps2 can output through component right?
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By REDRUN
    iAmJohn said:
    "RedSox8933 said:
    Fixed.  Also seriously, just buy a PS2.  They're maddeningly cheap and it's arguably the best video game system of all time.  If you don't own one, you fail."
    If you traded your old PS2 for a PS3 at a Gamestop, you failed.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    BinaryDragon said:
    "Lieutenant said:
    "People still use online petitions? Those have never worked, ever. I don't see Persona going to the Xbox, let alone a HD platform anytime soon. "
    You know that the ps2 can output through component right? "
    but its not capable of HD, 480p is pretty much the limit GOW2 i believe came in 720p or a gimped version of that but it wasn't very good and sometimes killed the game in high action sequences, and theres the HD discs you can get to the trick the thing into doing a certain resolution but they suck badly.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust
    Red said:
    "They made Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2 because they have a huge audience, and they're much easier to make. Seeing as Atlus don't really develop PC or 360 games, I doubt that Persona will be coming to a Microsoft console anytime soon, but I think the Persona 5 will come to the PS3 (because that's where their audience is) or the Wiito reach a bigger audience and use an easier-to-develop-for console. I just can't see Persona 5 with waggle..."
    This makes a huge amount of sense to me and I can see it happening.  After all, with as large a base as the Wii has, why not go where the money is.  Plus, the technology can't be that different from what they are used to on the PS2.  Dragon Quest 9 is coming out on the DS because it has the largest number of consoles in circulation.  Now, whether you consider a handheld a console is an argument for another thread, the reason behind their decision is still sound.  Reach the biggest market you can.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59e23ba4208df
    deactivated-59e23ba4208df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... I'd really like Persona 4, but I'm not willing to shell out nearly $200 for it (PS2 + wireless controller + memory card + game).

So... put me in the "please port it to Wii or 360" camp. I think the Wii would be fine with it. Just because its a Wii title doesn't mean it needs to use waggle.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "BinaryDragon said:
    "Lieutenant said:
    but its not capable of HD, 480p is pretty much the limit GOW2 i believe came in 720p or a gimped version of that but it wasn't very good and sometimes killed the game in high action sequences, and theres the HD discs you can get to the trick the thing into doing a certain resolution but they suck badly."
    Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy display in 1080i.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By zitosilva

I don't mind if Atlus keep making Persona games for the ps2. I don't care about the graphics, they are good as they are. As long as they keep on making excelent stories, like on the previous two games, I'll keep buying them and continue to be happy.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Disgaeamad

Protip: Persona 5 will most likely not happen.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zitosilva
    Disgaeamad said:
    "Protip: Persona 5 will most likely not happen."
    Why do  you say so?
    DualFayte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DualFayte
    Disgaeamad said:
    It would be nice if they did decide to make a Persona 5, but you may be right. You gotta draw the line sometime.

But maybe after all the attention it's been given with the Endurance Run they'll decide to develop a 5th for the next-gen consoles [just a thought].
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
    RedSox8933 said:
    "Persona 5 will most likely come to PS3 and 360. I wouldn't be surprised though if it just came to PS3."
    I wouldn't be surprised if it came to the PS2.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Why didn't Bob think of this....

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By UncleDisco
    Tylea002 said:
    "What they need now is Persona Gaiden, featuring Charlie Tunoko and Funkey Student as they riddle and "PER-SO-NA" their enemies into submission, commentated on by Jeff and Vinny."
    Im all for that! Ye-Ye-Yeeaaaah!
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman

Well, this has to work!

Also, if Persona 5 is on the PS2, I am going to personally punch everyone at Atlus in the balls.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shadow

never gonna happen.  It's suicidal to try and port a ps2 game to the 360.  It'll cost a hell of a lot of money, and it'll look like crap compared to anything else for the system.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iamjohn
    Disgaeamad said:
    Incorrect.  Persona 5 most likely will not happen on any of the three current gen consoles because they'll make SMT4, but it'll happen one day. 
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "BinaryDragon said:
    "Lieutenant said:
    but its not capable of HD, 480p is pretty much the limit GOW2 i believe came in 720p or a gimped version of that but it wasn't very good and sometimes killed the game in high action sequences, and theres the HD discs you can get to the trick the thing into doing a certain resolution but they suck badly."
    Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy display in 1080i."
    upscaled a forced upscale trick via the 480p mode it is capable of.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By endaround

Actually making Persona 5 as the game that moves Atlus's engine to the next gen makes the most sense,  Its it now their flagship brand and by far and away their best selling.  They might make another SMT games for teh PS2 or PSP but Persona is the title that can sell enough to justify a PS3/360 release.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Disgaeamad
    zitosilva said:
    "Disgaeamad said:
    Why do  you say so?"
    I dunno, call it a hunch. It just seems to me that they've pretty much perfected the Persona formula, and that there's no where else to go from here. If they bust out a P5 that manages to improve on what P4 did, I'd be more than amazed.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, I guess.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By endaround

It would be easy to improve.  Bring back weapon fusing.  Make the menus better (the inventory is a ridculous mess.  Why the hell a re quests in the system menu?).  They can improve the dynamics of the SLs (the are constrained by the sace size for the PS2.  the more flags you need to account for the larger the save file.  For example, you couldn't save KOTOR saves to a memory card because they became too big. )

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By endaround

But its not just graphics.  The gamplay is limited by the save size and the memory limitations of the PS2.  Removing those would allow for more interrelaitons among NPC as well as more indepth SLs (including full voice acting)

But there is an issue of how to present Persona going forward.  Right now we haev a 3D engine with anime style portraits to help show emotion.  This type of iterweaving of styles is far from unheard of on th ePS2.  However that hasn't carried over to the next gen.  You have games going cell shaded or going with full 3D models at all times.  And while cell shading wouldn't be the worst thing for the Persona games (though the Personas being cell shaded might take some effort to get used to) not sure if that art style fits well with SMT series as a whole.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

I won't sign this petition, because PS2's are ridiculously cheap.

luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By luthorcrow
    Milkman said:
    "Well, this has to work!

Also, if Persona 5 is on the PS2, I am going to personally punch everyone at Atlus in the balls.
    "
    LOL.  Honestly though, how does anyone that has been playing games the last 10 years not have a PS2.  Doesn't the PS3 play PS2 games as well?  Fuck the PS2 catalog is huge.  Its still the best bang for the buck out there.
    Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Persona 5 will not be on the PS2. Not only is the console dated, it is also limited on how much you cram into it. The social links are not voiced for this reason, that's why we hear grunted SoA voice-overs. The developers are actually teasing us with the fact of the PS2's limitations. The Wii also seems to be a bad choice, considering that one of Nintendo's reps stated that any particular game would have to sell over a million copies to make any profit on their system. That just leaves PS3 & Xbox 360, or maybe hand held systems...?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Milkman
    Luthorcrow said:
    "Milkman said:
    "Well, this has to work!

"
    LOL.  Honestly though, how does anyone that has been playing games the last 10 years not have a PS2.  Doesn't the PS3 play PS2 games as well?  Fuck the PS2 catalog is huge.  Its still the best bang for the buck out there."
    I do have a PS2 but I don't feel like ever actually dusting it off just to play one damn game. Also, the launch PS3s play PS2 games but I do not have a launch PS3.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't see the point in porting it to Xbox. If people are serious enough about games to want to play a game like Persona 4, they will have a PS2. If they don't have a PS2, there is something seriously wrong with them. The sheer number of awesome games on the PS2 means that any serious gamer should have one.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Endogene
    iAmJohn said:
    "RedSox8933 said:
    Fixed.  Also seriously, just buy a PS2.  They're maddeningly cheap and it's arguably the best video game system of all time.  If you don't own one, you fail."
    The thing that surprised me the most is that they released persona 4 only on the PS2 and bring a port out on the Wii the same time.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422

Besides voicing out every single word said in the game for next gen systems(which in no way is doing something they absolutely need for anything gameplay wise) even if the next persona or SMT game in general moves to this gen of systems, it isn't going to change much at all...some people seem to think a ton would be changed but its just not true besides what I just mentioned. If there are any improvements to the gameplay specifically that they want to do, they can do it on a PS2.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By endaround

No they can't.  They are limits to what a PS2 save can hold and what a PS2 can bring up in memory.  For example, right now my save file for a gae of MTW:II is 2MBs.  If you want more interactions between SLs you need more state vairables and that takes space.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#42  Edited By LordAndrew

I highly doubt Persona 4 is pushing the PS2's memory limits at all. The linearity of Social Links are due to Atlus's design decisions, not due to memory limitations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.