Persona 5 Setting Speculation

• 81 results
#1 Posted by Diabloshadow (287 posts) -

I was thinking, since the last two games took place in high school, wouldn't it be pretty awesome to have a Teen-Mature rated Persona 5 where the character is in university/college and its a little more mature (actual relationships? or like something else, its pretty late and im this thought kinda came to me)

Now I know that at least some of you agree with me that when you watched Jeff and Vinny play through the game trying to mack on as many chicks as they could, you tried to do the same. I found it hilarious that they could get away with that and sicne I'm currently playing through Persona 3 I'm trying to do the same (its harder cause you have to max out your courage, academics, and charm to date three different chicks in your party, one stat maxed out to date each, and you cant even hang out with any of the dudes from your party, at least not yet for me but it doesn't look like I can).

So thoughts? (Don't destroy me too harshly)

#2 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6652 posts) -

If it is in college then I demand a female protagonist and lesbian romance. 

Don't judge me.

#3 Posted by EVHKwick (472 posts) -

While I'd love a college-level Persona, all of the previous entries in the franchise (save one) are in a high school setting, and I imagine the next game will be too.

#4 Posted by Cerogravian (382 posts) -

Well, in that case, how a high school setting, but the entire main cast are teachers?

I would really like to see the next persona in a university setting, though I agree that that's unlikely...

#5 Posted by captjim (131 posts) -

the next persona game needs to star dojima with kurosawa from persona 3 as his partner and they're loose cannon cops who don't play by the rules.

#6 Posted by lishi (88 posts) -
@hack745 said:
" While I'd love a college-level Persona, all of the previous entries in the franchise (save one) are in a high school setting, and I imagine the next game will be too. "
On persona 2 (i dont remember if it was innocent sin or eternal punishement) you were playing as Maya, adult giornalist. 
#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
#8 Edited by Hourai (2738 posts) -

College setting would be super cool, but it's probably going to be highschool again. I hope they do something different besides the urban/rural stuff. 

#9 Posted by DonutFever (3811 posts) -

Still High School: 

3: Urban 

4: Rural 

5: SUBURBAN!!!!!!!

#10 Posted by Diabloshadow (287 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Why not? It would make it a little more mature and interesting while still having that school aspect. And it would prolly resonate more with some of the people who have gone to/ are in university or college right now.
#11 Posted by EVHKwick (472 posts) -
@Diabloshadow said:
"And it would prolly resonate more with some of the people who have gone to/ are in university or college right now. "
But you have to wonder about the climate in Japan, and what setting would make the most happy. What intrigues me about the college setting would be the timing for S-Links. Instead of having the same times of day open during the school week, you could have different accessible divisions. Only being able to hang out with someone when they don't have classes. It could make the game really interesting to play, and require more strategy when acquiring new S-Links.
#12 Edited by FateOfNever (1863 posts) -

The problem is that high school is something most people can relate to, college is not.  Not only do fewer people attend college than attend high school, but colleges are pretty different from country to country.  Plus you have to figure out, what is a 'typical college experience'?  You want something people can relate to en mass, not just a sub-section of those people.  

I'm not saying the game can't take place in college or any setting outside of high school, but, when designing the setting for the game these are the kinds of things they have to consider.  High school works so well not only because so many people attend high school but also because for most people there is a general theme of what you go through in high school; despite what social cliques you might, or might not, have ended up in, it's also, for a lot of people, the time of 'growing up', finding out who you are, etc - which is why many of the aspects of social links work for that setting.

Again, I'm not saying the game 'has' to be in a high school setting, I'm just pointing out the kinds of things that they have to consider when they're designing the setting for the game.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Diabloshadow said:
" @FluxWaveZ: Why not? It would make it a little more mature and interesting while still having that school aspect. And it would prolly resonate more with some of the people who have gone to/ are in university or college right now. "
Pretty much that.  I'm still a high school kid and, even though I'll probably be in college by the time Persona 5 comes out, I still relate more with a high school setting.  But I'm also slightly against the idea because of some issues that the setting could entail that FateOfNever mentioned.  College just sounds too "adult" and not filled with the goofy fun that a high school setting could bring.  The social links, for example, would be way more emotional and serious than most of what Persona 3/4 had to offer.  I'm not too much against it because the concept of college is pretty foreign to me at this point and I'm sure if Atlus was aiming for that, it could be well done.
#14 Posted by AuthenticM (4244 posts) -

Part of me thinks that because the developers are Japanese we will never see any other setting than high school, now that the franchise is more mainstream than when P2 came out. This game is aimed at otaku (in japan) and otakus are dorks who can't grow up. Which also explains why most japanese games are chock-full of clichéed characters and situations. The only japanese games that aren't so are the ones aimed mainly at the western market, like Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill.

At least that's how I see it. Tell me if I'm wrong.

#15 Posted by EVHKwick (472 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:
" The problem is that high school is something most people can relate to, college is not.  Not only do fewer people attend college than attend high school, but colleges are pretty different from country to country.  Plus you have to figure out, what is a 'typical college experience'?  You want something people can relate to en mass, not just a sub-section of those people.  

I'm not saying the game can't take place in college or any setting outside of high school, but, when designing the setting for the game these are the kinds of things they have to consider.  High school works so well not only because so many people attend high school but also because for most people there is a general theme of what you go through in high school; despite what social cliques you might, or might not, have ended up in, it's also, for a lot of people, the time of 'growing up', finding out who you are, etc - which is why many of the aspects of social links work for that setting.  Again, I'm not saying the game 'has' to be in a high school setting, I'm just pointing out the kinds of things that they have to consider when they're designing the setting for the game. "
But Persona 4 had some really progressive elements to it. Look at the commentary it provided in the case of Kanji Tatsumi. I think his situation was one that only a minority could relate with, and it certainly didn't take anything away from the game. I consider Kanji to be one of the best characters in all of the JRPGs I've played because of it.

I think college attendance is becoming more commonplace, and I think that if it did adopt that setting, even those that aren't currently going through it would still be able to fully experience the game, and have a good time doing so. It'd be another progressive social play by Atlus.
#16 Edited by Diabloshadow (287 posts) -
@FateOfNever:@FluxWaveZ:  I fully understand what the both of you are saying and I can understand that. It can segregate the audience much more so than a high school setting. But it's just that I feel that since they've used this setting so often, the last two games and i would think the first two as well but i cant say as i havent played either of them, and it is also used in a number of other games it would be nice to see something different. And also university can be be about finding yourself and growing up just as much if not more than high school and while Persona 4 was great and I loved it, I also really liked Persona 3's darker tone and I would enjoy seeing a game that returns to that but still has a significant amount of comedy. The reason I'm gunning for this so much is because I think of all the potential it could have it done well, think about having this game where social links are deeper between people, you can actually get in trouble for being in multiple relationships as well as work to avoid others finding out (would be pretty funny i would think), and maybe even BAR FIGHTS! (joking! but not really...)

Also it would be pretty cool to have a large scale 3d city to run around in, kinda like a larger setting of Persona 3 but with no hub world, and wicked graphics that actually use the power of the next gen consoles. Oh possibilities.

But alas like @AuthenticM:  said, we probably won't get this game that I want.
#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Diabloshadow said:
" The reason I'm gunning for this so much is because I think of all the potential it could have it done well, think about having this game where social links are deeper between people, you can actually get in trouble for being in multiple relationships as well as work to avoid others finding out (would be pretty funny i would think), and maybe even BAR FIGHTS! (joking! but not really...)

Also it would be pretty cool to have a large scale 3d city to run around in, kinda like a larger setting of Persona 3 but with no hub world, and wicked graphics that actually use the power of the next gen consoles. Oh possibilities. "
I'm not arguing against your position on the matter here, but there are 2 things I must address with what you just posted:

1. In Persona 3, you couldn't date more than one girl or else they would find out and your S. Links would "Reverse" and could even "Break".  That was a plan for Persona 4, as well (you can see some hacked game Youtube videos of it), but they took it out probably because it was too complex.  Making the Social Link aspect of the game more in-depth doesn't depend on placing the game in a more mature context at all.  That could easily be developed for a high school environment, as well.

2.  Just like point 1, making the place a large scale 3D city similar to Persona 3's does not depend on making the game revolve around college instead of high school at all.
#18 Posted by Baillie (4584 posts) -
#19 Posted by Diabloshadow (287 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:  Ahhh I see what I did there, I didn't mean to infer that these were things that could only be achieved through a college based Persona game. And for the misinformation about the dating thing, I apologize, I'm currently making my way through Persona 3 right now. And my comment about the 3D city was just an addendum to the whole post, just something I thought it would be cool to see.

But do tell, don't you think that the high school scenario is a little played out by now?
#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Diabloshadow: Perhaps.  I'm not exactly sure what a college setting would entail and I've very much enjoyed the high school setting, so I don't think I would be disappointed with another one of those.  There can always be fresh ideas that are implemented to complement the setting and make it a little less familiar.
#21 Edited by danimal_furry (1490 posts) -

It is a Japanese game. They are obsessed with highschoolers (and school girls). A college one would be fun though, but I think someone should develop that outside of the persona games. Of course, that would just risk it becoming a leisure suit larry game.

#23 Posted by coaxmetal (1721 posts) -

It will probably be in Japan. I'd put money on that.

#24 Posted by Catolf (2788 posts) -

Okay, I was going to come here with something... else, but my sister chimed in with something I quite literally laughed out loud at... and approve. So, here goes...

Persona 5:  Setting, the Ghetto. (japanese Ghetto hm.. maybe even yakuza ties for the lulz) Kids with endearing pasts which makes me think of Kanji or even Shinji (bum as he's so lovingly called) all characters are older, tend to skip school (we can do highschool whatev's) Mostly because I've always wanted an option to skip. Even possible adult persona users...

This is the tame version of what came up, which was an all black cast with summoning persona's back to being envokers again (could be envokers found after P3 FES that they snatched) and it would be all "PERSONA MUTHAFUCKA" BOOM!!

Severely racist but I laughed really hard...

All kidding aside I'd like more colorful characters and more complex pasts, if they touched upon Kanji as they have maybe that can touch upon a transgender as well, knowing ATLUS they could pull it off really well without it coming off as something horrid. Also, maybe this time, a cat persona user.. a cat that looks liek the cat from DDS would be neat. Or even the Raidou games.

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Catolf: "Envokers" 

ugh.
#26 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

I'd like to see Persona 5 set somewhere like a desert town or something. I've always thought that a game with a good story set somwhere like that could be amazing.

Just imagine it how great the imagery would be. Large open areas, mountains far off in the distance, watching the sun set. It would obviously be a lonely and desolate setting, which I think would be perfect for the Persona series since they revolve around small sets of characters and they're not about exploring new lands or anything like that.

I've given it a lot of thought, and I think it would be pretty cool if they did that.

#27 Edited by AuthenticM (4244 posts) -

I think the only possible way for us westerners to get what we want is for Atlus USA to get a mad team of programmers and create an offshoot of Persona set in the US or Europe; some gaiden game, if you will. You'd have characters in their 20s or 30s who are all at university. This would give us more mature characters and most of them could still be "searching for themselves".

Or even more interestingly, what if the setting was at work? In some giant skyscraper like those on Wall Street. The MC would go there every day of the week just like school, interact with his coworkers, get in relationships, etc. This way we could have even older characters, like a 40-year old husband and father who happens to be going through a divorce and is alcoholic. We wouldn't be stuck trying to relate to young, immature, whiny, emo brats. My favorite character in P4 was Dojima and I just loved seeing him with Nanako. There's a reason for that: because I relate more to him than the kids. Don't forget the average gamer is around 35.

Some people could argue that this wouldn't feel "Persona" too much, but still, I would dig such a game. The possibilities are endless.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" Don't forget the average gamer is around 35. "
I would bet you that the average audience of JRPGs is around 20 years of age.
#29 Edited by mutha3 (5025 posts) -
@danimal_furry said:

"  A college one would be fun though, but I think someone should develop that outside of the persona games.

No thanks. I don't want to see a shitty third tier rip off. 

Especially seeing how the amount of companies out there that can competently design JRPG's can be counted on one hand.

It is a Japanese game. They are obsessed with highschoolers (and school girls). 

Stereotype, much?:/ not saying it isn't true(because I don't  know what type of people the Atlus developers are) but geez.
#30 Posted by Heartbreak (294 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @danimal_furry said:

"  A college one would be fun though, but I think someone should develop that outside of the persona games.

No thanks. I don't want to see a shitty third tier rip off. 

Especially seeing how the amount of companies out there that can competently design JRPG's can be counted on one hand.

It is a Japanese game. They are obsessed with highschoolers (and school girls). 

Stereotype, much?:/ not saying it isn't true(because I don't  know what type of people the Atlus developers are) but geez. "
980 Yen for Refrigerated Girls Panties.

Atlus is on the case.
#31 Posted by Catolf (2788 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Catolf: "Envokers"  ugh. "
I fuckin' love the envokers I was sad to see them go.

@AuthenticM: I like that idea.
#32 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Catolf said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

I fuckin' love the envokers I was sad to see them go. "
Evokers.  As in "evoking" something.
#33 Posted by FCKSNAP (2337 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Catolf said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
Evokers.  As in "evoking" something. "
Half the posts I read from you are correcting other peoples spelling. That's annoying, we all know what they are trying to say and it rarely ever gets in the way.
#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" Half the posts I read from you are correcting other peoples spelling. That's annoying, we all know what they are trying to say and it rarely ever gets in the way. "
Oh really?  Please point me to 2 other posts I've done of the same and I'll stand corrected, because the only posts I can think of that I corrected someone on their spelling is this one and correcting someone when they referred to "Link" as "Zelda".  Don't claim falsities. 
#35 Posted by mutha3 (5025 posts) -
@Heartbreak said:
" @mutha3 said:

980 Yen for Refrigerated Girls Panties.  Atlus is on the case. "
Make it 800 and we have a a deal.
#36 Edited by FCKSNAP (2337 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Snapstacle said:

" Half the posts I read from you are correcting other peoples spelling. That's annoying, we all know what they are trying to say and it rarely ever gets in the way. "
Oh really?  Please point me to 2 other posts I've done of the same and I'll stand corrected, because the only posts I can think of that I corrected someone on their spelling is this one and correcting someone when they referred to "Link" as "Zelda".  Don't claim falsities.  "
Give me a minute then. You post a lot.
#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" Give me a minute then. You post a lot. "
Sure, search all you want.  One of the things I hate the most is when someone posts blatant lies about someone else, so I'd be glad to see you prove me wrong, even though I know you won't find anything.
#38 Posted by FCKSNAP (2337 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Holy fuck it was worse than I thought! Since you post so much you come up in literally every thread on google as a top ranked poster! Well, here and here's some vague ones from the the first few results where you actually posted. And before you think I was saying that you correct everyone else too much, I literally mean every other post I see you in, is a correction post.
#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" @FluxWaveZ: Holy fuck it was worse than I thought! Since you post so much you come up in literally every thread on google as a top ranked poster! Well, here and here's some vague ones from the the first few results where you actually posted. And before you think I was saying that you correct everyone else too much, I literally mean every other post I see you in, is a correction post. "
What the fuck are you talking about?

Link 1: Quoted someone correcting his spelling.  It was as a joke, as you can observe from how the thread turned out.  That was 8 months and 2 weeks ago. 
Link 2: Umm... what?  What exactly was the point of posting that when no grammatical correction is being made? 

Dude, you know that both of your examples are horrid ones.  I practically never correct someone on their spelling as I understand that this is the Internet.  Stop trying to continue to make it seem like I'm a "grammar nazi".
#40 Posted by AuthenticM (4244 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @AuthenticM said:
" Don't forget the average gamer is around 35. "
I would bet you that the average audience of JRPGs is around 20 years of age. "
Do you believe that everybody who played Final Fantasy VI and VII when they came out were under 10? Most of them were probably in their 20s; that was nearly 15 years ago.
#41 Posted by FCKSNAP (2337 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Like I said it was harder to do since you post a lot. But the thing is not being a grammar nazi (which I didn't say you were), but it does come up a lot when I read through random threads where you basically call people out on spelling and shit. It really ruins the flow of the thread, just like this one!
#42 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:

" @FluxWaveZ: Like I said it was harder to do since you post a lot. But the thing is not being a grammar nazi (which I didn't say you were), but it does come up a lot when I read through random threads where you basically call people out on spelling and shit. It really ruins the flow of the thread, just like this one! "

And again you claim that I often correct people on their spelling when you can't even show proper evidence.  You're the one breaking the flow of this thread by bullshitting and lying about something that I don't do.  If you can't even prove that I do so, shut up. 

And: 

Half the posts I read from you are correcting other peoples spelling.    

If that doesn't mean "grammar nazi", I don't know what does.  You basically don't even know what you're talking about.
#43 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:

" Do you believe that everybody who played Final Fantasy VI and VII when they came out were under 10? Most of them were probably in their 20s; that was nearly 15 years ago. "

Yes, I do think that most of those who played those old JRPGs were under 20.  Most definitely. 

Yeah, but they were young when they played those games and they grew up.  A lot of them stopped playing video games altogether, many of them abandoning the genre of JRPGs in the pursuit of more western oriented ones such as FPS.  Many people have said that one of their favorite genre of games, growing up, were JRPGs and that they just grew tired of them after the repetitiveness that those games brought.   

I'm certain that the average age of the Persona audience would be 20.
#44 Posted by FCKSNAP (2337 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: It's still annoying and it's more than just spelling, but spelling is an example.
#45 Edited by Catolf (2788 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Catolf said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

Evokers.  As in "evoking" something. "
Well I apologize for having a N. I thought it was called Envokers, not Evoke or I would have corrected myself. Not need to have the tiny tude over a little mistake. You could have politely said I spelled it wrong and I would have happily corrected without the "ugh"

@FluxWaveZ said:
" @AuthenticM said:

" Do you believe that everybody who played Final Fantasy VI and VII when they came out were under 10? Most of them were probably in their 20s; that was nearly 15 years ago. "

Yes, I do think that most of those who played those old JRPGs were under 20.  Most definitely.  Yeah, but they were young when they played those games and they grew up.  A lot of them stopped playing video games altogether, many of them abandoning the genre of JRPGs in the pursuit of more western oriented ones such as FPS.  Many people have said that one of their favorite genre of games, growing up, were JRPGs and that they just grew tired of them after the repetitiveness that those games brought.    I'm certain that the average age of the Persona audience would be 20. "

But still, fan's who've grown up with 'persona' even in the Japanese standard would most likely be in 20's-25 area. New fans would be under twenty, i give yout hat, but the core audiance is word of mouth, ATLUS is still very much a niche' audiance and it takes older members usually to recruite, the ER and the sudden BOOM of persona 4 fans, people whom would have NEVER tried the title gave it a chance because of the older people playing.
#46 Posted by Sovereign13 (160 posts) -

College dropouts who have to work crappy day jobs and save the world by night.

#47 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" Well I apologize for having a N. I thought it was called Envokers, not Evoke or I would have corrected myself. Not need to have the tiny tude over a little mistake. You could have politely said I spelled it wrong and I would have happily corrected without the "ugh" "
Yeah... that was a rude way to respond.  Sorry for that.
#48 Posted by Catolf (2788 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Catolf said:
" Well I apologize for having a N. I thought it was called Envokers, not Evoke or I would have corrected myself. Not need to have the tiny tude over a little mistake. You could have politely said I spelled it wrong and I would have happily corrected without the "ugh" "
Yeah... that was a rude way to respond.  Sorry for that. "
All is fine in the forums again <3 XD it happens.
#49 Posted by JackSukeru (6105 posts) -

I always fantasize that P5 will take place a few years after Persona 4, with all the characters from P3 and P4 returning. You'll spend time playing as the two previous protagonists and a new, younger one ( naturally you'll only have access to Seta and the new protagonist until a plot twist requires you to "retrieve the third zero") Seta will be working, Minato will still be in school and NewMC will be in a lower grade. 

The new protagonist is the same age and goes to the same school as Nanako and thus she becomes a party member at some point. The plot will center around a worldwide phenomenon with shadows wreaking havoc and having the main characters take down all manner of gods and demons. Message? I'm no good with that, 's why I don't write Persona plots. 
Anywayz, the battlesystem has the Persona-users use devices that materialize their Personas as middle-sized rideable mechsuits resembling their past forms.
/fanfic 

Seriously though I'm sure it will be great regardless, I'm very much looking forward to its announcement.

#50 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1663 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.