Should I buy this?

#1 Posted by SMTfan123 (9 posts) -

Okay, so I'm gonna buy some sort of SMT game after Easter, and Persona 4 is one of my options. And I know this game is very highly thought of on this website. So, should I buy this game (I don't have a Vita for Golden) or wait for another game, specifically Soul Hackers?

And some side questions:

1.) Is this game hard? I really want a challenge...

2.) Is the story as deep as Persona 2's, my favorite game of the Persona series?

3.) Do the dungeons get repetitive?

That's all I need to say, basically. :P

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

Yeah you should its cool

1. You can set it on hard difficulty if you want

2. Not quite, it's a different appeal

3. Yeah

#3 Posted by SMTfan123 (9 posts) -

So you can change the difficulty, the story is pretty good, and the dungeons are repetitive. Hmm, not sure what to think about that. Also, how good are the Social Links? Persona 3's kind of disappointed me, with a few exceptions...

#4 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

yeah without a doubt!

1) It can be you can set difficulty higher or do less grinding.

2) not quite, different feel more light hearted in nature.

3) the structure don't really change but themes work to spice them up so not really.

#5 Posted by SMTfan123 (9 posts) -

Well, thanks for your replies! I'll probably get this game and try it out. I'm looking forward to buying this :)

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (7006 posts) -

Everyone here is going to say yes. Also yes.

#7 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2420 posts) -

Not even reading the post. Yes you should play Persona 4.

#8 Posted by shadowchronicle (12 posts) -

1.) Is this game hard? I really want a challenge...

It all depends on your take of the game. It is harder than your average jrpg. It has difficulty settings.

2.) Is the story as deep as Persona 2's, my favorite game of the Persona series?

Persona 4 is more lighthearted in comparison to the other persona games as another user said. But the story is still good nonetheless according to the majority of people who have played Persona 4.

3.) Do the dungeons get repetitive?

Like most jrpgs it will become repetitive but can be awarding.

#9 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

1.) Eh, you can change the difficulty. Don't play on normal if you want a challenge.

2.) Haven't played Persona 2 so I can't really speak for that. The characters are the most appealing part of the story though.

3.) The structures are largely the same, but the themes change and there are a few wrenches thrown into the later dungeons on some floors. It never really feels like you're doing the same dungeon over and over again, but you're almost always running down hallways opening doors, looking for the stairs, or looking for shadows to grind. You never have to do dungeons back to back, so that also helps. You can always choose to do some social linking if stuff gets repetitive.

I highly recommend it. One of my favorite rpgs for the ps2.

#10 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6004 posts) -

Two words. " Fuck " and " Yeah ".

#11 Edited by j0lter (266 posts) -

It's worth the buy, if not for its difficulty, its story and excellent game play. It's one of my favorite games of all time, really only beat out by Persona 3 lol. The entire Persona franchise is one that everyone should follow avidly.

#12 Posted by Persona3rocks (57 posts) -

It is definitely worth buying. Persona 4 is my second favorite game of all time (persona 3 FES is the first).

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Oh hell yes. As to your other questions:

1. In some areas, hell yes. Shadow Yukiko will kick your ass.
  2. Maybe? That's a really hard question to answer, especially since I love Persona 2, too.
  3. Not really.
#14 Posted by living4theday258 (677 posts) -

im going to get a lot of hate for this but so far i liked persona 3 better than 4. Although i haven't beaten 4 so i cant really say yet.

#15 Edited by Sergio (2258 posts) -

Yes.

#16 Edited by Delorean_Torch (4 posts) -

@smtfan123: it's like asking people in a bar if you should drink.

#17 Posted by Jedted (2420 posts) -

@smtfan123: You should buy a Vita, the menus in P4G are a lot more user friendly.

Also, i know i'm in the minority but Golden Chie is way better than Original Chie, IMO. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.