Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Should I just wait for the Vita version?

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread

I have owned this game for over six months, and have yet to play over two hours. I played around 20 hours of Persona 3 Portable, and while I enjoyed it, my couple of hours spent in Persona 4 felt much more inviting, overall.  

Anyway, I have a large backlog to clear out, which includes games I never played much of like Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana; with no plans to get a Vita on release, is this Persona 4 something that comes recommended, too?  

I suppose that a lot of you Giant Bomb users plan to pick up The Golden on its release, even though many of you have played, or watched (something I haven't done), Persona 4 already. That might answer my question right there, but asking's worth the time, right?

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By IBurningStar

Go play the game. Right now.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If you haven't beaten Persona 3 beat that first, then play the copy of Persona 4 you already have.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iDarktread
    @IBurningStar: Okay. 

@FancySoapsMan: I'm really looking around for a cheap copy of Persona 3 FES. I thought that the PSP version would be just fine, but honestly, I'm not a big fan of my PSP right now, and would rather use a nice PS2 controller. 

I love my handhelds, but my PSP just feels a bit clunky, or something.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

We don't know enough about the presentation of P4V to really say how it will compare. Yes, it will have more voice acting, cutscenes, and characters, but if it's anything like P3P, the elements outside the dungeons will be stripped down to a visual novel level.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Depends on when you *do* plan on getting a Vita, or what other games you might be wanting for the system. Changes seem minor enough that it wouldn't be worth it on its own, especially since you already own the game anyway.  

If you intend to get a Vita at some point and still don't see yourself in a hurry to play Persona 4 anytime soon though, I guess why not wait? Sell the copy you have now.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Just go play it now, P4 Golden's release is so far out from now that you can play the original and still probably get the same level of enjoyment out of the remake as everyone else will.

Also it is a fucking fantastic game.

@Hailinel said:

We don't know enough about the presentation of P4V to really say how it will compare. Yes, it will have more voice acting, cutscenes, and characters, but if it's anything like P3P, the elements outside the dungeons will be stripped down to a visual novel level.

They stated that they moved it from PSP to PSV because they didn't want to have to strip out the 3D world again.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By adoggz

dont get a vita, just play the ps2 version.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @LordXavierBritish said: 
    @Hailinel said:

They stated that they moved it from PSP to PSV because they didn't want to have to strip out the 3D world again.
    Plus, from screens, it seems like a perfect port of P4 presentation-wise. So yeah, it's not P3P all over again.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @LordXavierBritish said: 
    @Hailinel said:

Plus, from screens, it seems like a perfect port of P4 presentation-wise. So yeah, it's not P3P all over again.
    While they did say that, it'll still be on a PS Vita screen. I want it on a big screen dammit!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @eroticfishcake said: 
    While they did say that, it'll still be on a PS Vita screen. I want it on a big screen dammit!
    The Vita screen's big enough for me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
    deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually interested in picking this up when the Vita comes out.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @LordXavierBritish said:

Just go play it now, P4 Golden's release is so far out from now that you can play the original and still probably get the same level of enjoyment out of the remake as everyone else will.

I echo this, also if P3P is anything to go by there will an additional protagonist to play as once it eventually arrives. 

Also Persona 3: FES is preferable over P3P. For as much as I appreciate the tweaks they made for the PSP version, a lot of the context of the story is lost in its presentation of the cut scenes, in so much as there is none.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I echo this, also if P3P is anything to go by there will an additional protagonist to play as once it eventually arrives. Also Persona 3: FES is preferable over P3P. For as much as I appreciate the tweaks they made for the PSP version, a lot of the context of the story is lost in its presentation of the cut scenes, in so much as there is none.

It's already been confirmed that there will be no second protagonist. New characters, yes, but in a revised version of the original story.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Hailinel said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I echo this, also if P3P is anything to go by there will an additional protagonist to play as once it eventually arrives. Also Persona 3: FES is preferable over P3P. For as much as I appreciate the tweaks they made for the PSP version, a lot of the context of the story is lost in its presentation of the cut scenes, in so much as there is none.

It's already been confirmed that there will be no second protagonist. New characters, yes, but in a revised version of the original story.

Ah, I must have missed this.
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Buscemi

Does anybody have a summary (or something) of the changes that will be made (of what little has been told)? I am extremely interested in buying this once it comes out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Titus said:

Does anybody have a summary (or something) of the changes that will be made? I am extremely interested in buying this once it comes out.

Check the wiki.
    kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kinapuff

I'd pick it up now and play it. You should be able to find a new copy easily for a cheap buck, not to mention the Vita version is far ways off as mentioned above.

Having that said, I'll definitely be picking up the Vita version once it comes out.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#19  Edited By metalsnakezero

So far the stuff their adding to P4 Vita is pretty meaningful but it will be a while till Atlus translates it (translates the bits that are new) so I recommend find the PS2 version to hold you over and by the time the Vita version comes out you probably have the money to get it.

Avatar image for psychoticmayhem
    Psychoticmayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Psychoticmayhem

The real question is ARE you planning on getting the vita? I know I am cause ATLUS just wants all my money and I couldn't turn down a persona game. Personally I'd play P4 for PS2 so you can get the most out of the game. When they did the Persona 3 Portable release they cut out ALOT of stuff from the cutscene animations to the 3D walking around the town because they released it on a handheld so it didn't have enough room for all that coding. I'm not sure if they will do that to P4 Golden but I wouldn't chance it. P3P was still a good game and I enjoyed playing both the Boy and Girl Protags.

And disregard what people tell you about playing P3 before playing P4. The stories are completely different. And the only thing you'll miss out on really is recognizing the P3 cameos.

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Starclopsofish

@Psychoticmayhem

They aren't cutting FMVs and 3D exploration in P4G.

For those fussing about the Vita's screen... the pixel density is higher than any HDTV out there (around 48k ppi methinks) and even if you're one to go for size over quality, its enormous for a handheld; 5 inches. Not to mention its an OLED.

Plus we all know that the Vita-2000 is going to have mini HDMI out. They just want to hold off on it until they release the PS4 to avoid cannibalization.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By beforet

Am I the only one who preferred P3P's presentation?

You have the game now, so I say play it. Or sell it, if you know you're getting a Vita eventually.

You should watch the Endurance Run regardless of what you do.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iDarktread

Just to update, someone spoiled

on this site, on my first day of play. It was outside of the Persona 4 forum as well! If I could find that thread I made months ago regarding spoilers and how to tag them, I'd bump it the hell up.

Oh well, I'm about 4 or 5 hours in and enjoying it. I realize now that waiting for the Vita version would be a bit silly considering I have the game available for play right now.

jello44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jello44

It doesn't come out in Japan until Spring 2012, so it will probably be a while before Atlus USA translates it. You have plenty of time to play the PS2 version.

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By galloughs

I'm not even sure there's been an announcement as to whether P4G is even being released outside of Japan.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Sooty

@galloughs said:

I'm not even sure there's been an announcement as to whether P4G is even being released outside of Japan.

Of course it will be. Don't be silly now.

I'm just going to import it and play it through in Japanese. It's a learning opportunity for me, plus I just love Persona.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mutha3
    @galloughs said:

Does it matter? This is like wondering if a Mario game is going to be released in the west...
    SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SilvarusLupus

@galloughs said:

Persona 4 is the best selling SMT game in the West. I think they are going to release it here.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Tofin

@metalsnakezero said:

So far the stuff their adding to P4 Vita is pretty meaningful but it will be a while till Atlus translates it (translates the bits that are new) so I recommend find the PS2 version to hold you over and by the time the Vita version comes out you probably have the money to get it.

Exactly. If handheld ports like the one Chrono Trigger got are any indication, there might be a little extra translation work involved. So It'll be a while, but it's still a fantastic RPG that deserves to be played. Get the Vita version anyway.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By QuistisTrepe

No, the Vita version isn't a substantial difference from the PS2 version. Not only shouldn't you buy the Vita version, you shouldn't buy a Vita period.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

@QuistisTrepe said:

No, the Vita version isn't a substantial difference from the PS2 version. Not only shouldn't you buy the Vita version, you shouldn't buy a Vita period.

Sounds a bit early to say that. What if the Vita version of Persona 4 turns out to be ten times more awesome than the original (maybe there's a Social Link where Kanji curb stomps Teddie repeatedly, or the Shadow Fetus boss fight uses the Reincarnation remix of the boss theme)? Or a totally awesome game comes out for the system and there's no fucking ignoring it?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beforet

Am I the only one who preferred P3P to FES?

Don't buy a Vita for Persona 4 if you already have the PS2 version. I will, but that's because I've played Persona 4 several times and I'm a fucking psychopath. You don't know if you're a psychopath yet, so don't make that jump until you do.

Edit: I just posted in a 2 month old thread, that I had already posted in, on the same page as my first post, and said the exact same thing.

God dammit, people. God dammit!

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@Video_Game_King said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

Sounds a bit early to say that. What if the Vita version of Persona 4 turns out to be ten times more awesome than the original (maybe there's a Social Link where Kanji curb stomps Teddie repeatedly, or the Shadow Fetus boss fight uses the Reincarnation remix of the boss theme)? Or a totally awesome game comes out for the system and there's no fucking ignoring it?

Then I'll hope someone comes up with an emulator or hacks the living shit out of the Vita so I can bypass as much of Sony's bullshit as possible.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laserbolts
    @QuistisTrepe

@Video_Game_King said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

Then I'll hope someone comes up with an emulator or hacks the living shit out of the Vita so I can bypass as much of Sony's bullshit as possible.

What bullshit are you worrying about?
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McShank

@Video_Game_King said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

you sold me on getting a vita still, but only after they realise that I refuse to pay a ton of money to port my games from umd's to downloadable just to play on their newer handheld. Untill then, I will keep my regular launch psp and wait till prices drop or sony gets their head out of their asses on the UMD problem.

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrAristocrates  Online

@Beforet said:

Am I the only one who preferred P3P to FES?

Well, P3P didn't have The Answer, so it at least has that going for it. (As well as some much better Social Links, when you get right down to it.)

Also, am I the only one who has no problem with playing their PSP games on their PSP?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.