Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Should I play Persona 4 or watch the Endurance Run?

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By corruptsaves

I enjoyed Persona 3 when it came out and I have P4 on the PS2 but never got round to playing it. It's one I definitely meant to go back to but seems to of slipped through the generation net not being able to play it on PS3. I don't plan on getting a Vita, well maybe much much later.

So would I get a good grasp of the story or would I be having to pause a lot to read the majority of the important text? I watched through Deadly Premonition and will watch the P4 one but shall I play it myself first?

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Definitely play P4 first, not only because it's an awesome game that you should experience playing yourself, but you'll also get so much more out of the ER.

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By returnofjake
    @Sanj

Definitely play P4 first, not only because it's an awesome game that you should experience playing yourself, but you'll also get so much more out of the ER.

This.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax
    @Sanj

I watched the entire Endurance Run before playing the game myself and I got a lot out of it. Experiencing the craziness for the first time along with Jeff and Vinny was pretty awesome and a lot of fun.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

You should do both. You should play through it your self first, then watch it. Or as I did, Play through it while watching it, ( I stayed about a dungeon ahead ).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

Dooo booooth, but I recommend playing the game fiiiirst.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By pyromagnestir

I did both at the same time. It was like having sex while watching 1 dude have sex while another dude talked to him about video games and stuff. It was magical.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By leinad44

Play persona 4 first. It's a better game than persona 3 for me. Just because you can control party members.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By IBurningStar

Play it yourself first. Waiting to see how the guys react to certain scenes was exciting to me. You'll also laugh at how lucky they get, because you will know how the game actually is and how bad they totally should have been punished for a lot of their dumb moves.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Wemibelle

I saw the entire Endurance Run before I played the game myself and I really enjoyed it. Experiencing the story alongside Jeff and Vinny made it so much crazier and interesting than it would have been on my own. If you are a fast enough reader, you won't miss any of the text as they are playing.

The only thing I enjoyed about my playthrough over theirs was that I got to see all the Social Links they didn't bother to pursue, which was interesting.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BoG

Playing video games > Watching video games

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mosespippy

I got up to about episode 30 before stopping and buying the game. Then I played a bunch and resumed the endurance run up to the point that I had played. I kept this cycle going till I finished both the game and the ER. I later finished the game again. It was a pretty good experience for me except don't join the band like I did.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ltsmash

I would play the game then watch the "Best Of" on YouTube. They spend a lot of time fusing and fighting, which can drag.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316
    @Voxel
    @Sanj

I watched the entire Endurance Run before playing the game myself and I got a lot out of it. Experiencing the craziness for the first time along with Jeff and Vinny was pretty awesome and a lot of fun.
    Yep, I'm finally watching it without playing and it's god damn amazing.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Cloudenvy

@returnofjake said:

@Sanj

This.

Yupp. I think playing the game first would be way more enjoyable so that's what I recommend!

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Slurpelve

Play it first then watch the ER, I don't know why I really got a lot enjoyment when watching how Jeff and Vinny play it after knowing everything, but that my opinion.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By mesoian
    @corruptsaves said:

I enjoyed Persona 3 when it came out and I have P4 on the PS2 but never got round to playing it. It's one I definitely meant to go back to but seems to of slipped through the generation net not being able to play it on PS3. I don't plan on getting a Vita, well maybe much much later.

So would I get a good grasp of the story or would I be having to pause a lot to read the majority of the important text? I watched through Deadly Premonition and will watch the P4 one but shall I play it myself first?

Play it on your own, then watch the endurance run in your spare time. It's fun to watch variations on the same experience.  

I got just past Yukiko's story before I put Persona 4 down on my first play through, but the endurance run made me pick it back up and was a fun daily activity to have which supported the experience of playing the game in way that I had never experienced before. 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@returnofjake said:

@Sanj

This.
    corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By corruptsaves

I guess I should play the game first but I would have to dig the PS2 out again which is a bit awkward. Also means I wont be playing Arena till I go through it. Ah well having an Endurance Run tucked away for a rainy day is no bad thing.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat

Both. I think both at the same time is fun, though you are likely to have very different days.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Hunter5024

I didn't really feel like it was necessary for me to go back and play p4 after watching the endurance run because you totally get all the story stuff. I did anyways, but the endurance run actually does make a pretty good substitute if you don't want to actually do it.

mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandrewgora

watching all of them is quite the undertaking, but there is so much more I got out of it by watching them play it.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By jay_ray

I would play P4 for about an hour or two or more (don't know your gaming schedule) a day and then watch an episode or two a day after a good 10 hours of playing. That way you'll never get it spoiled and you get to watch/listen to Jeff and Vinny slowly go crazy.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Elazul

How about you watch the first few episodes of the ER now and then if you feel the urge to play it, go do so. Otherwise, if you've only got time to do one I'd say watch the Endurance Run. The gameplay's honestly pretty average (not to mention that it's a friggin' Turn-Based RPG, so I'm sure you'll get how it "plays" by watching it) and while the story is pretty great, being there with Jeff and Vinny for the whole ride is what really made it for me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By nightriff

Watch the ER and treat it as your first playthrough, that is what I am doing and I'm loving it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.