Should I play Persona 4 or watch the Endurance Run?

#1 Posted by corruptsaves (219 posts) -

I enjoyed Persona 3 when it came out and I have P4 on the PS2 but never got round to playing it. It's one I definitely meant to go back to but seems to of slipped through the generation net not being able to play it on PS3. I don't plan on getting a Vita, well maybe much much later.

So would I get a good grasp of the story or would I be having to pause a lot to read the majority of the important text? I watched through Deadly Premonition and will watch the P4 one but shall I play it myself first?

#2 Edited by Sanj (2457 posts) -

Definitely play P4 first, not only because it's an awesome game that you should experience playing yourself, but you'll also get so much more out of the ER.

#3 Posted by returnofjake (231 posts) -
@Sanj

Definitely play P4 first, not only because it's an awesome game that you should experience playing yourself, but you'll also get so much more out of the ER.

This.
#4 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@Sanj

I watched the entire Endurance Run before playing the game myself and I got a lot out of it. Experiencing the craziness for the first time along with Jeff and Vinny was pretty awesome and a lot of fun.
#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

You should do both. You should play through it your self first, then watch it. Or as I did, Play through it while watching it, ( I stayed about a dungeon ahead ).

#6 Posted by TobbRobb (4749 posts) -

Dooo booooth, but I recommend playing the game fiiiirst.

#7 Posted by pyromagnestir (4327 posts) -

I did both at the same time. It was like having sex while watching 1 dude have sex while another dude talked to him about video games and stuff. It was magical.

#8 Posted by leinad44 (523 posts) -

Play persona 4 first. It's a better game than persona 3 for me. Just because you can control party members.

#9 Posted by IBurningStar (2187 posts) -

Play it yourself first. Waiting to see how the guys react to certain scenes was exciting to me. You'll also laugh at how lucky they get, because you will know how the game actually is and how bad they totally should have been punished for a lot of their dumb moves.

#10 Posted by wemibelec90 (1745 posts) -

I saw the entire Endurance Run before I played the game myself and I really enjoyed it. Experiencing the story alongside Jeff and Vinny made it so much crazier and interesting than it would have been on my own. If you are a fast enough reader, you won't miss any of the text as they are playing.

The only thing I enjoyed about my playthrough over theirs was that I got to see all the Social Links they didn't bother to pursue, which was interesting.

#11 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

Playing video games > Watching video games

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4286 posts) -

I got up to about episode 30 before stopping and buying the game. Then I played a bunch and resumed the endurance run up to the point that I had played. I kept this cycle going till I finished both the game and the ER. I later finished the game again. It was a pretty good experience for me except don't join the band like I did.

#13 Posted by LTSmash (638 posts) -

I would play the game then watch the "Best Of" on YouTube. They spend a lot of time fusing and fighting, which can drag.

#14 Posted by csl316 (8972 posts) -
@Voxel
@Sanj

I watched the entire Endurance Run before playing the game myself and I got a lot out of it. Experiencing the craziness for the first time along with Jeff and Vinny was pretty awesome and a lot of fun.
Yep, I'm finally watching it without playing and it's god damn amazing.
#15 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@returnofjake said:

@Sanj

This.

Yupp. I think playing the game first would be way more enjoyable so that's what I recommend!

#16 Edited by Slurpelve (615 posts) -

Play it first then watch the ER, I don't know why I really got a lot enjoyment when watching how Jeff and Vinny play it after knowing everything, but that my opinion.

#17 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
@corruptsaves said:

I enjoyed Persona 3 when it came out and I have P4 on the PS2 but never got round to playing it. It's one I definitely meant to go back to but seems to of slipped through the generation net not being able to play it on PS3. I don't plan on getting a Vita, well maybe much much later.

So would I get a good grasp of the story or would I be having to pause a lot to read the majority of the important text? I watched through Deadly Premonition and will watch the P4 one but shall I play it myself first?

Play it on your own, then watch the endurance run in your spare time. It's fun to watch variations on the same experience.  

I got just past Yukiko's story before I put Persona 4 down on my first play through, but the endurance run made me pick it back up and was a fun daily activity to have which supported the experience of playing the game in way that I had never experienced before. 
#18 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5308 posts) -

@returnofjake said:

@Sanj

This.
#19 Posted by corruptsaves (219 posts) -

I guess I should play the game first but I would have to dig the PS2 out again which is a bit awkward. Also means I wont be playing Arena till I go through it. Ah well having an Endurance Run tucked away for a rainy day is no bad thing.

#20 Posted by AlisterCat (5634 posts) -

Both. I think both at the same time is fun, though you are likely to have very different days.

#21 Posted by Hunter5024 (5816 posts) -

I didn't really feel like it was necessary for me to go back and play p4 after watching the endurance run because you totally get all the story stuff. I did anyways, but the endurance run actually does make a pretty good substitute if you don't want to actually do it.

#22 Posted by Mandrewgora (193 posts) -

watching all of them is quite the undertaking, but there is so much more I got out of it by watching them play it.

#23 Posted by Jay_Ray (1110 posts) -

I would play P4 for about an hour or two or more (don't know your gaming schedule) a day and then watch an episode or two a day after a good 10 hours of playing. That way you'll never get it spoiled and you get to watch/listen to Jeff and Vinny slowly go crazy.

#24 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

How about you watch the first few episodes of the ER now and then if you feel the urge to play it, go do so. Otherwise, if you've only got time to do one I'd say watch the Endurance Run. The gameplay's honestly pretty average (not to mention that it's a friggin' Turn-Based RPG, so I'm sure you'll get how it "plays" by watching it) and while the story is pretty great, being there with Jeff and Vinny for the whole ride is what really made it for me.

#25 Posted by Nightriff (5153 posts) -

Watch the ER and treat it as your first playthrough, that is what I am doing and I'm loving it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.