Should Philemon have a bigger role in Persona 5?

#1 Edited by VanTesla (246 posts) -

Philemon in the Persona series acts as a guide, observer, unlocks your personae, and somewhat of a guardian to different extents in each game.  
Philemon has the most appearances in Persona 1 and both Persona 2 games. His presences is shown through his butterfly form in Persona 3 and Persona 4. 
Philemon has many forms and he is Igor's master. He test humanities worth to exist and believes they can be saved. So my question is what should his role in Persona 5 be? 
What would you like Philemons role to be? Do you wish to learn more about Philemon and his part in everything that has happened in Persona world?  

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

I don't care about him. I haven't found Philemon's presence in Persona 3 or 4 to be lacking or to be a good thing. Then again, I haven't played P1 or 2.

#3 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I feel like if they start to try and explain these detailed things about the universe the game will be worse for it. So much of the appeal in 4 came from sharing in the confusion of the characters.

#4 Posted by VanTesla (246 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

I don't care about him. I haven't found Philemon's presence in Persona 3 or 4 to be lacking or to be a good thing. Then again, I haven't played P1 or 2.

Persona 2 is likely the best in story in my opinion and can get you emotional at certain parts. When Persona 2: Innocent Sin comes out for psp I suggest picking it up if you have a psp. 
I hope they port it as download for the PS3 though... It's a fantastic game!
#5 Posted by VanTesla (246 posts) -
@Akrid
I don't want everything explained. I just want more backstory that flows through the game.
#6 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

I had not even realized he was a character, but this is likely due to the fact that I've never played the first two (or three?) games. I've been meaning to play them on my PSP, but I've misplaced my memory stick... 
My first impression is "yes," because if he's as important to the universe as I perceive, his presence is more than welcome! However, maybe the mystery enhances his character.
#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10466 posts) -

I feel like Igor being in a pimp-ass limo with booze in it means that he branched off and made his own Persona franchise. 

#8 Edited by VanTesla (246 posts) -
@BoG
Warning for you: Persona 1 on the PSP, being an older gen game can really get annoying.... Hardest one of them all as well. Persona 2: Innocent Sin will be out at the end of this year for the PSP with better player support. I suggest reading up on the first one or watching tube videos. Don't want to spoil Persona 2 though.
#9 Posted by lockon_one (93 posts) -

may not be necessary, but it depends on what the story or direction of persona 5 will be.  maybe some background info or cameo will be welcome for persona 5.

#10 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Well, seeing how you've played P1/2, you do realize that the Nyarlothep/Philemon storyline wrapped up neatly?I guess an appearance isn' t totally out of the question,though.....As for your spoiler in the OP...

#11 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

I would like for them to work a few references in, maybe a nod here or there.  He doesn't have to be a huge part of the story, but it would be nice to throw him in there as a subtle link to the first couple of games.

#12 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
I would like for them to work a few references in, maybe a nod here or there.  He doesn't have to be a huge part of the story, but it would be nice to throw him in there as a subtle link to the first couple of games.
He has never left, the butterfly motif is all you need really. It pretty much alludes to the fact that he is still around, albeit behind the scenes. 
#13 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

No,He'd just fuck things up again.

#14 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

He's kinda done at this point. As an aside, I can't wait for an updated Persona 2!

#15 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

He should be like Igor and the members of the Velvet room as background characters that only speak to you in important parts of the story. 

#16 Posted by Nux (2303 posts) -

Nah, his story is done really. Maybe if thay do some kind of P3, P4 cross over where they need to team up to save he world from a total shadow take over or something then you can maybe stick him in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.