Similar Games to Shin Megami Tensei: Persona

#1 Posted by roariamalion (7 posts) -

I was wondering if there are any JRPGs out there for systems other than the PS2 that are like Shin Megami Tensei:Persona.  This is one of my all time favorite games and I've been playing Persona 3 for my PSP.  Any suggestions?
#2 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@roariamalion: Can't think of any that are both similar and good.

You might take a look at other games in the SMT franchise, though! they're all very different games from each other but they're really great. 

I'd recommend staying clear from Persona 1 and Raidou 1, though.
#3 Posted by Daroki (712 posts) -
@roariamalion said:
" I was wondering if there are any JRPGs out there for systems other than the PS2 that are like Shin Megami Tensei:Persona.  This is one of my all time favorite games and I've been playing Persona 3 for my PSP.  Any suggestions? "
If you haven't played Persona 3, and even if you have, the PSP version with it's female protagonist extends that story out nicely.  If you haven't played it at all, absolutely do so. 
#4 Edited by shadyspace (458 posts) -

Not really.

#5 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

Nope, not really, but if you're looking for a JRPG with dating-sim elements, I'd recommend Ar Tonelico.

#6 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

Actually, the classroom in Gal Gun looks a lot like the classroom in P3. So there's that.

#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19347 posts) -
#8 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

You might get more suggestions here.

#9 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -

What part are you looking for?  If you want a school setting with making choices about spending time with NPC there is the Mana Khemia series.  OK the school is closer to Hogwarts and the games don't have Persona's polish or gravitas, but you do schedule tiem to undertake special jobs for NPCs in your party.

#10 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on the DS is pretty great. It's also quite a dark one.

#11 Posted by ChrisTaran (1616 posts) -

If what you really enjoyed was the choices and developing relationships then you might want to look into a PC visual novel like Shuffle or Da Capo
They are not games in the traditional sense, but they have decent stories and you get to decide the path of the game and which people you have relationships with.

#12 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -

I've been playing Radiant Historia, also an Atlus game, and it has been really good to incredible so far. Great combat and unique storytelling - Atlus doing what Atlus does.

#13 Posted by NoelVeiga (1100 posts) -

It depends a bit on what part of Persona you actually like. If it's the social interactions you might like Sakura Wars on the Wii. If you like the JRPG-meets-dungeon-crawl aspect, then I strongly recommend Etrian Odyssey 1 to 3 on the DS. There's no story at all there, though, so it's mostly a mechanics thing. 

We do need more modern day RPGs, though. The setting in Persona is weirdly unique, considering it's basically high school drama. You'd think more people would have tried to represent that in videogame form, given how popular it is with the demographics of most gamers, but that's not the case.

#14 Posted by roariamalion (7 posts) -

It is both aspects of the game that I like.  I enjoy the social interactions part, as well as, the dungeon fights and such.  I just finished Persona 3 for the psp for a second time last night and all these suggestions look really promising

#15 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:
" I've been playing Radiant Historia, also an Atlus game, and it has been really good to incredible so far. Great combat and unique storytelling - Atlus doing what Atlus does. "
Gotta recommend this, I'm about 14 hours in and loving every second, it has a great combat system and the story has me hooked.

I could also say a Harvest moon.. for you know the dating sim..i like harvest moon..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.