Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

So, What is it You Like About Endurance Run?

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Death_Burnout

Ok so, i'm really interested to know what specifically it is that you like about Persona 4 Endurance Run.

The only reason why i continue to watch it is i love to watch that story unfold (commentary as a bonus) but...when it gets to a dungeon, not that interested, i've never liked JRPG's for gameplay. The only time that i think it really gets good there is a boss fight.

One downside is of course, you have people (one in particular, i think we all know who, not naming names) being uncontrollable nerds and "helping" Vinny and Jeff, and that's all they do.

So what is it that you like about it? is it the same thing? because then i can understand its ridiculous popularity a little more. It started off really cool for me...but now...when i see the videos get 100-200 comments plus, i'm like, "what?"

I just dont want this to be all that GiantBomb is known for/cared for. These guys happen to do other stuff too, if you know what i mean.

So let me know!

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Do you mean Aion? He's just a troll, he only signed on to comment on their video's, I wouldn't pay him any attention.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

I like Jeff and Vinny talking about the game and I love Persona 4. It's a perfect match.  However I too am greatly surprised by the extreme popularity of ER, I figured most people would hate it.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Do you mean Aion? He's just a troll, he only signed on to comment on their video's, I wouldn't pay him any attention."
    Yup, but i thought to myself naming a troll isn't really helping, like you said, best to ignore.

Weltal
    said:
    "I like Jeff and Vinny talking about the game and I love Persona 4. It's a perfect match.  However I too am greatly surprised by the extreme popularity of ER, I figured most people would hate it."
    Hmm i agree.
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HazBazz

I watch it mainly for the commentary, but I've found myself wanting to know wehat happens in the story

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By raggedglory

I can watch a weird crazy JRPG that I would usually never play, and during the boring grinding, fusing parts, instead of boring myself to death, I can listen to 2 people joke around in something almost exactly like me and my friends playing games.  Also I like to watch games being played, takes me back to when I was a kid.

Also, feels good man :3

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Death_Burnout
    raggedglory said:
    "I can watch a weird crazy JRPG that I would usually never play, and during the boring grinding, fusing parts, instead of boring myself to death, I can listen to 2 people joke around in something almost exactly like me and my friends playing games.  Also I like to watch games being played, takes me back to when I was a kid.Also, feels good man :3"
    Yeah you are right, there is something to that commentary that helps those parts and also, brings back memories to me with watching my brother and his friend playing FF all the time.

But...i dunno, is it getting a little stale?
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By samcotts

Well having completed Persona 4 (almost) it is now less about watching the story unfold, and more about looking forward to parts of the game I'd like to see again and hearing Vinny and Jeff's commentary over it. Surprisingly, knowing what's going to happen next hasn't taken any of the enjoyment out of the Endurance Run for me yet.

And for some reason, I also like watching other people play through games.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Death_Burnout
    samcotts said:
    "Well having completed Persona 4 (almost) it is now less about watching the story unfold, and more about looking forward to parts of the game I'd like to see again and hearing Vinny and Jeff's commentary over it. Surprisingly, knowing what's going to happen next hasn't taken any of the enjoyment out of the Endurance Run for me yet.

"
    Wow im glad you said that, because i wondering what the actual persona fans like about it, i would think it would anger some of them...oh wait, it totally does.

But that's interesting to hear
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

Like Jeff said on his blg, some people take it a bit too seriously. I suppose I'm partially responsible for this, since I created the 339-post Endurance Run thread on GameFAQs, but I've also brought in people like Ashogo who have been much more sensible about the Endurance Run. It's really hit-or-miss.
    You're actually probably better off not reading the comments at all. Just watch the video and enjoy the commentary.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By papercut
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Do you mean Aion? He's just a troll, he only signed on to comment on their video's, I wouldn't pay him any attention."
    Dude, yes
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Funny.  I had written the exact same question on another thread and I got attacked for it.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I haven't been watching it since I just bought P4 because of the Endurance Run. I'll start watching it again once I catch up with them, though. I love the commentary, because the stuff in this game is just... so crazy. It's awesome. It'd probably be beneficial to have them be recorded live though, for times like when they were fighting those crazyass mage dudes, and they had a vanish ball but forgot about it.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ChrisTaran
    samcotts said:
    "Well having completed Persona 4 (almost) it is now less about watching the story unfold, and more about looking forward to parts of the game I'd like to see again and hearing Vinny and Jeff's commentary over it. Surprisingly, knowing what's going to happen next hasn't taken any of the enjoyment out of the Endurance Run for me yet.

"
    This is the exact same reason I like ER.  I'm a huge Persona 4 (and 3) fan, and I know exactly what's going to happen in the story, but I'm really just dying to see how Jeff and Vinny will react to the things I know are coming up.  There's still a lot of awesome moments I can't wait to see their reactions to.

In fact the ER has made me want to play the game from the start again so I can follow along and keep one step ahead of them so I know exactly what they're going to encounter again.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass

I like how they mock this ridiculous batshit insane JRPG. Just like a video game equivalent of MST3K.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24
    LordAndrew said:
    "Like Jeff said on his blg, some people take it a bit too seriously. I suppose I'm partially responsible for this, since I created the 339-post Endurance Run thread on GameFAQs, but I've also brought in people like Ashogo who have been much more sensible about the Endurance Run. It's really hit-or-miss.You're actually probably better off not reading the comments at all. Just watch the video and enjoy the commentary."
    I just found that board. Wow. That is something. I like how a lot of it is very positive towards the ER too.

But, honestly, I haven't watched the majority of the ER episodes now. I don't really have the time too, first off, and after awhile I haven't been a huge fan of watching them play for 55+ minutes at a time. I preferred when it was shorter so I could absorb the content and commentary in a more compact amount of time. Now, I simply don't have enough time to watch an hour long video like that. It is still funny whenever I do watch it, though. I love the commentary, and Vinny and Jeff are really doing something I have never seen before:  they are making watching a game fun. It truly is something special.

By now, I can say that I have watched the episodes 1-20, with about 3-4 interspersed between each subsequent set of 10. I don't really plan on getting into the "watch everything" mood again, but I will be here if a particularly good episode pops up, which I will most certainly watch.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pie
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "Like Jeff said on his blg, some people take it a bit too seriously. I suppose I'm partially responsible for this, since I created the 339-post Endurance Run thread on GameFAQs, but I've also brought in people like Ashogo who have been much more sensible about the Endurance Run. It's really hit-or-miss.You're actually probably better off not reading the comments at all. Just watch the video and enjoy the commentary."
    I just found that board. Wow. That is something. I like how a lot of it is very positive towards the ER too.

But, honestly, I haven't watched the majority of the ER episodes now. I don't really have the time too, first off, and after awhile I haven't been a huge fan of watching them play for 55+ minutes at a time. I preferred when it was shorter so I could absorb the content and commentary in a more compact amount of time. Now, I simply don't have enough time to watch an hour long video like that. It is still funny whenever I do watch it, though. I love the commentary, and Vinny and Jeff are really doing something I have never seen before:  they are making watching a game fun. It truly is something special.By now, I can say that I have watched the episodes 1-20, with about 3-4 interspersed between each subsequent set of 10. I don't really plan on getting into the "watch everything" mood again, but I will be here if a particularly good episode pops up, which I will most certainly watch."
    Theyve been a bit shorter since episode 50 RHCPfan24.
    cygnus_x89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cygnus_x89

At first it was to hear their commentary on it and to watch the story unfold. Now that I've bought, played, and beat the game myself, I'm interested even more on what they will say, especially at specific plot points.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By papercut

I think I watch it because of it's Mystery Science Theater feel. They are freakin hilarious and they can even make somethings like the vanish ball incident and the ghoul thing funny.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Death_Burnout

Thanks people! you've given me a bit of needed insight and opinion.

FluxWaveZ said:

"Funny.  I had written the exact same question on another thread and I got attacked for it."

Perhaps i'm dodging bullets, or maybe i asked the question nicer? i have no idea.

LordAndrew said:
    You're to blame for a lot of things dude, haha.

I do just watch and not read now...but temptation gets the better of me and "Oh Look"

I think it was when someone jokingly said (i hope jokingly) there needs to be an ER T-shirt...at the point i was like "no no no no....what is going on here..."

Taler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Taler

I like ER because it's persona 4. The fact that it's a good (and fitting for situation) game is what matters. Do the same with Halo or God of War and I bet nobody will give a rat's ass.

Aion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aion

At first I thought it was cool watching someone with seemingly no gaming skills/SMT experience play P4 on a website created by gamers for gamers. I also liked the amusing comments that were made early on; during the prologue.

Now? I just watch to see Vinny struggle to handle his PS2 pad, get ambushed and do stupid things. I then point and laugh, in an internet sense. I follow that up by attempting to upset the people who want to rim Jeff for extra lulz,

The GBER has turned into the GBFR since episode 50. Just for the sake of daily laughter because of Vinny struggling to navigate and Jeff doing things such as informing Vinny that electronic food goes stale, I want the fail to continue.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maxszy

The commentary for sure. Watching the story is good too but I find it so much better with their commentary. Its great!

Alias01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Alias01

I started to watch the P4 Endurance Run because of LordAndrew's thread on GameFAQs. It piqued my interest only because I read "Persona 4" and "video." I think it's kinda sad that I only go to GiantBomb because of the Endurance Run, and I'm sure many others do the same :(

As for the reason I continue to watch the Endurance Run... The commentary is awesome.
    I also enjoy observing their reasoning when it comes to buying items, social linking, fusing personas, strategizing in battles, etc.
    Someone else has said this, but if Vinny and Jeff were to follow a guide, then it would make the Endurance Run very boring.  I'm just concerned that they might get the bad ending (if they get that far lol).

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Vorbis

Vinnys screaming.

Can't wait until they reach the end of the stripclub.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Aion said:
    "

At first I thought it was cool watching someone with seemingly no gaming skills/SMT experience play P4 on a website created by gamers for gamers. I also liked the amusing comments that were made early on; during the prologue.

Now? I just watch to see Vinny struggle to handle his PS2 pad, get ambushed and do stupid things. I then point and laugh, in an internet sense. I follow that up by attempting to upset the people who want to rim Jeff for extra lulz,

The GBER has turned into the GBFR since episode 50. Just for the sake of daily laughter because of Vinny struggling to navigate and Jeff doing things such as informing Vinny that electronic food goes stale, I want the fail to continue.

"
    Oh wow, you managed to post in here. You ever get stuck in your chair or something? is that why you continue to say the same shit day in day out?

Vorbis said:
    "Vinnys screaming."
    That's a good reason!

Taler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Taler

@Aion, you might feel like it's fail, but it's what EVERY player does. When I played Persona 4 I sucked a lot worst than Vinny and Jeff, and I played with guides!

But at the same time I can school 99% in Starcraft, and Soccer. So quit being so high and mighty already.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By harrisonave

It's all in good fun.  That's what I like.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

the commentary and the outside-of-battle sections are my favorite. dungeons are kinda boring.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By nick69

i only watch for jeff and vinny's comments, and the story.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By GioVANNI
    Aion said:
    "

"
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By AndrewB

I like the part with Michael Phelps.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Steven

Sometimes I want to see them in the dungeons, sometimes I like the social links, cut scenes are the best...it doesn't really matter, I think the game is amazing and I love seeing them experience it and getting their reactions to stuff.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By raidingkvatch

I pretty much love everything about it. I got into it late (about a fortnight ago) so amstill behind (ep47?) I like the game, especially as the only JRPG I've ever played is Lost Odyssey and it got me to start playing that again. The commentary is interesting (not to mention often hilarious) just to see how people play games, plus I like how frustrated I get when I think they've missed something. As for the comments, both the people who get really pissed off that they're doing it "wrong" and the people pissed off at people criticising are very entertaining to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.