Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Social Links Max Tips

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Knave

I will be replaying the game on Expert, and i need some tips on how to max all the social links. A lot of people say i should finish up dungeons ASAP, but some say that it's better to wait for rainy days, because there's noone to hang out during that time, and there are rare drops in the dungeon. Also what attributes should i focus on primarily? Should i max out my teammates at first, or school friends? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mutha3

-Don't focus on either the party or the school friends, spread the S-link love evenly. That way, when you'll get an opportunity for extra S-rank points, you can actually distribute them.
     -Get Fox's slink done as soon as possible. It'll make sure you only need one day to finish dungeons and give you more Slink time.
    - There is no reason to finish dungeons as fast as possible.Only go inside the TV when its raining. Rarer enemies+nothing to do in town= punch my id in the face
    -Your evening S-links are super easy to complete on Newgame+. When you get the choice between making a sandwich or spending time with nanako-- YOU MAKE A SANDWICH

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Knave

I won't be doing new game + though. What stats should i focus at first? Also when i spend time with someone, and it says your relationship will become closer soon, should i accept their invitation if they call me the next day asking to hang out? Do the points stack?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aus_azn
    @mutha3 said:

" -Don't focus on either the party or the school friends, spread the S-link love evenly. That way, when you'll get an opportunity for extra S-rank points, you can actually distribute them.  -Get Fox's slink done as soon as possible. It'll make sure you only need one day to finish dungeons and give you more Slink time. - There is no reason to finish dungeons as fast as possible.Only go inside the TV when its raining. Rarer enemies+nothing to do in town= punch my id in the face -Your evening S-links are super easy to complete on Newgame+. When you get the choice between making a sandwich or spending time with nanako-- YOU MAKE A SANDWICH "

This is golden advice. Generally, dungeons should only take 1 RAINY day. It may seem counterintuitive, but this largely means that you're doing the dungeons in the couple of days before a game over. You want to try to avoid having "blank" spots of time where you're either messing about or just standing around with no SLinks to do. If you have one, short of the first few weeks where you should be eating at Aiya on rainy openings and trying to gain as much Courage (or really anything except Diligence) as possible, you've done something wrong.

However, you also need to know that the game affords you over 1 month of free space. It's not that difficult.

To NewGame+, though, you can pretty much just make reckless decisions. I finished the evening SLinks as fast as possible, and ignored the Fox SLink except for rainy days. I did the dungeons on the first day they were available.

@Knave

said:

" I won't be doing new game + though. What stats should i focus at first? Also when i spend time with someone, and it says your relationship will become closer soon, should i accept their invitation if they call me the next day asking to hang out? Do the points stack? "

That's usually a bad sign. Try to do something (i.e. lunch or cell phone invite) where it won't do that in a standard SLink "date". I never used cellphone invites and I came out fine. You MUST match personas to all your SLinks otherwise you'll run into this frequently.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mutha3
    Not a new game+? that's a lot tougher.
     @Knave said:
    " I won't be doing new game + though. What stats should i focus at first? Also when i spend time with someone, and it says your relationship will become closer soon, should i accept their invitation if they call me the next day asking to hang out? Do the points stack? "

First focus on getting up your Expression. That's the most important one. Followed by Knowledge and then Understanding and Courage. Diligence can be safely ignored  when you hit 3 until you max out your other stats. Only work on your stats at night, its not worth it during the day. Hell, night S-links are rather easy to complete overall. Don't waste your days.

If you get called to hang out, it doesn't work like P3, unless its a special event(like 5 guys calling you to hang out) you can rank up through sunday dates as well. 
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By beforet

All of the advise telling you to wait until rainy days is very sound. And only fish when you absolutely need to, by which I mean the one time you need to for the fox quest. I was on a new game+ save, full stats, and I was doing dungeons on day one while doing a lot of fishing and I finished with three links at rank 2-5. That was with the free month.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Use a FAQ cus 100%ing is fucking ridiculous.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I'd use a guide if I you plan to max out every S-link, the requirements for doing it are pretty severe and the game often throws wrenches in any planning you might do with storyline related events. 

I think 4 is slightly more lenient in this regard though, 3 was insane towards the end.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aus_azn
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    " I'd use a guide if I you plan to max out every S-link, the requirements for doing it are pretty severe and the game often throws wrenches in any planning you might do with storyline related events.  I think 4 is slightly more lenient in this regard though, 3 was insane towards the end. "

Nowhere nearly as bad as Persona 3. P3 had most guides running up till the last day finishing S-Links (IIRC usually Aigis'). This at least gives you 1.5 months free.

Still, very sound advice.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @WatanabeKazuma said:
    " I'd use a guide if I you plan to max out every S-link, the requirements for doing it are pretty severe and the game often throws wrenches in any planning you might do with storyline related events.  I think 4 is slightly more lenient in this regard though, 3 was insane towards the end. "
    Nowhere nearly as bad as Persona 3. P3 had most guides running up till the last day finishing S-Links (IIRC usually Aigis'). This at least gives you 1.5 months free. Still, very sound advice. "
    I only finished my play through of 3 last week and skipped back about a month for this reason. I got caught in not being able to do anything and realizing I could realistically finish about 2 if I was lucky. The downtime comes out of nowhere which makes it pretty unfair.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aus_azn
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    " @WatanabeKazuma said:
    Nowhere nearly as bad as Persona 3. P3 had most guides running up till the last day finishing S-Links (IIRC usually Aigis'). This at least gives you 1.5 months free. Still, very sound advice. "
    I only finished my play through of 3 last week and skipped back about a month for this reason. I got caught in not being able to do anything and realizing I could realistically finish about 2 if I was lucky. The downtime comes out of nowhere which makes it pretty unfair. "
    I used a guide, must have cocked up somewhere along the lines and not realised it.

I hit the last day with every SLink maxed except for Hidetoshi, who I happened to be one "date" behind 10. You had to follow the guide to the letter to max them all on time.

I despised this so much about 3 that I NG+'d to just see how it'd have panned out if I made my own decisions. Hello reversals!
    Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Knave

Using a guide is kinda lame. I like to make my own decisions, because that's what makes Persona fun. I'll use these tips and hopefully get close to maxing everything.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Knave said:

" Using a guide is kinda lame. I like to make my own decisions, because that's what makes Persona fun. I'll use these tips and hopefully get close to maxing everything. "

Since I see you're playing Persona 3 and 4 simultaneously, don't even try to do it in 3. It's not going to happen, ever. 4 is much more doable with the 1.5 month allowance.
    Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Knave

Yeah, i'm at the end of 3 now. I maxed out 17 S. Links, with 5 being at rank 3-5. It was my first time playing it too. I agree though, it really seemed impossible to max them all out. And i'm not playing them simultaneously. I recently completed P4, started watching the Endurance Run while playing P3, and am nearly done with both the videos, and P3. I will be replaying P4 after that.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By beforet

A guide is not strictly necessary for P4, but you it would be wise to look up the best dialog choices to get the most out of each meeting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.